Mapping Competition

Chocolate Kitty

So the rules for this are fairly simple, follow the guidelines and that's about it. :P

Ask for clarification if needed.

Guidelines:

-Make your maps original, don't copy/steal someone else's design.

-16 colors and hack box sized :P

Requirements, as chosen by a third party member:

-Outdoors

-Must use the ruins

-Must contain a mountain range

-River on the right side of the map

-At least 2 forests

Tileset: FE6/7 Bern, FE8 Lagdou Ruins, Bethroen

Size:

-20x15

GBA FE Tileset LinkOH WAIT MEGAUPLOAD WAS TAKEN DOWN >>

Feaw Custom FE Tileset Link

Mappy Link

Winners shall pick the next map to be revamped, any map from FE(or anything similar to FE ex Tear Ring Saga) that isn't GBA FE for obvious reasons lol or a new map and tileset like normal

Winners of 3 contests in a row are barred from entering the round following their 3rd victory.

All participants must vote in the round they entered or they will be barred from entering the following round. Refusal to cooperate consecutively will result in multiple bars.

Note: Let's try to actually make maps and not Photoshop creations.

Barred contestants:

Winner Count:

Round 1 - Feaw

Round 2 - Feaw

Round 3 - SuperLuigi

Round 4 - Anouleth/Black Star

Round 5 - Anouleth/Black Star

Round 6 - Feaw

Round 7 - Hero of Time

Round 8 - SuperLuigi

Round 9 - SuperLuigi

Round 10 - SuperLuigi (Hat Trick oh mai)

Round 11 - Feaw

Round 12 - Primefusion

Round 13 - Feaw

Round 14 - Queen Elincia

Round 15 - Feaw

Round 16 - Feaw

Round 17 - Feaw (Hat Trick again :o)

Round 18 - Mario Kirby

Round 19 - Primefusion

Round 20 - Krad

Round 21 - Primefusion

Round 22 - Primefusion

Round 23 - Cam

Round 24 - Feaw

Round 25 - Anouleth

Round 26 - ???

Due Date: May 8th

Edited by Kitty of Time

lol other people cannot into peaks

cityscrn-1.png

Tileset is 6C 6D 6E from FE8.

I was kind of thinking of city maps like FE5 C14 and FE6 C19B... dunno how well I executed it. This tileset is actually really horrendous for making cities since there's little variation of house or ruined house tiles, but I feel like I did my best with it.

Uhm... Anou, what on earth is that? Sorry to say, but that's hideous.

WAY too much house spam going on (even if it's a city).

Paths could also be better.

Also don't like how there's literally zero plains. And how the city wall is hugged by the mountain so tightly.

Edited by Fawful

Uhm... Anou, what on earth is that? Sorry to say, but that's hideous.

WAY too much house spam going on (even if it's a city).

Like I said, it's supposed to be like those city maps in FE5 and FE6. They have just as much in the way of houses. More, possibly.

Paths could also be better.

The path tiles for this tileset are kind of limited.

Also don't like how there's literally zero plains.

Cities don't generally waste space...

although now that I look at it again I used Thickets instead of Forests, so I guess I'll have to change that.

And how the city wall is hugged by the mountain so tightly.

It's not that the mountain hugs the wall, the wall is built to hug the mountain. I guess I don't even need the wall...

I don't really know why I'm defending it. I don't really expect it to win or anything, and it's really not a good map since this tileset is so unsuited to spamming lots of houses. I just felt like building a city.

Edited by Anouleth

What I'm worried about is....

Requirements, as chosen by a third party member:

-Outdoors

-Must use the ruins

-Must contain a mountain range

-River on the right side of the map

-At least 2 forests

why neither Anou or Sea Lion have a river on the right side of the map. (I don't really see Lion's huge expanse as a river, more of a lake or the ocean)

I'll probably get to making something tomorrow or Friday.

FeawMapContest19.png

Soooo...

This here is basically the entrance to an ancient city. Dump river to the right, watchtower to the left... Aand... That's basically it.

Was kinda inspired by Rhino's entry, but only really slightly.

why neither Anou or Sea Lion have a river on the right side of the map. (I don't really see Lion's huge expanse as a river, more of a lake or the ocean)

this

also miss AK stop hiding from me it's rude :<

Edited by Kitty of Time

FeawMapContest19.png

So this building is gigantic in comparison with entire mountain ranges, and a river?

Fuck, your units for the chapter must have drank a Catholic Potion in order to get these sorts of proportions.

Edited by Celice

Who says that the mountains on-screen are the entirety of the mountain range? I see them as only the very edge/foot of the whole thing.

And the river is also only a fraction of the entire thing. The part which uses the sea tiles is the real river, and as you can see, only shows nothing but one turn.

Also, this is old news, since FE has always been known for it's hilarious proportions.

Edited by Fawful

Also, this is old news, since FE has always been known for it's hilarious proportions.

That doesn't mean we have to repeat them. Especially considering the allowing of custom tilesets, which gives us the capability of compeltely avoiding issues like wonky proportions :rolleyes:

Edges of mountians, as in foothills, are better described by the actual hills tile, as that suggests a low enough altitude for units to access, yet also be affected by. A straight mountain tile is going to suggest it as beyond a foothill. I know FE4/5 got around this by using actual "green" mountains which were simply hills. That's one option, again permissible by the custom tilesets.

EDIT: It really reminds me of the style of maps done in FE1/3, which blatantly blended multiple perspectives. Very retronautic.

Edited by Celice

Except that this round no custom tilesets were allowed...

EDIT: And before you go "that wasn't specified", yes it is, as it specifically lists the tilesets you could use, meaning nothing other than those.

Edited by Fawful

Ah, that's cool. It's been in and out of the contest now and again (for a while it was actually common sequentially), so I made a connection based on that.

And before you go "that wasn't specified",

Oh come on, you should be more charitable. Not everyone is out to criticize you.

Huh... I honestly didn't notice that...