Rate the Unit, Day 21: Sedgar

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Darros: 2.45

Gordin: 3.11

Bord: 4.37

Navarre: 4.66

Cord: 4.87

Castor: 5.54

Merric: 5.58

Wrys: 5.92

Marth: 6.33

Julian: 6.60

Jagen: 6.98

Draug: 7.12

Ogma: 7.56

Hardin: 8.70

Abel: 8.76

Cain: 8.90

Lena: 9.26

Barst: 9.40

Sheeda: 9.89

Edited by *Narshen*

Want to abuse a General for chapter 6, one of the more annoying-to-complete-easily chapters there is? Well, here's your guy~

I usually use him as a Warrior though. Details here.

His base stats are pretty pitiful, for a prepromo. We're looking at an absolute base speed of -1. That's -1, yes, a negative, and shared only by Radd. He also has -1 Res, (but who gives a damn about that). No base wpn rank either, aside from his class's minimums.

But his Growths. Ho-damn. 200% HP as a Warrior (Or Berserker). That's 2 HP per levelup, bitches. 100% Str? That's a guarentee'd +1 str. 95 Skill and 80 Def are more than fair, and 70% Speed is passable. Even as a Hero, he's doing damn well.

It's just his start. He isn't doing that much in his starting chapter, and has poor bases to charge ahead with. Assuming you have Hardin, Abel, Cain, and Jeigan (and hell, reclassed Navarre and/or Merric even), these guys are stuck picking off the remainder, which isn't a whole lot. Thus, he, like many other growth units, may not pull potential.

I give him a 7.25. In speedier playthroughs, he won't shine much.

[spoiler=And I'm ranking Wolf higher because]Saving my 7.75 for Wolf, because of a potential (and fun to abuse) 120% Str growth.

Edited by Elieson

6/10

I don't really care about growths if the unit has terrible bases. Hell I think even a trained Castor/Gordin match their bases. >.< Maybe fun to use, but hell bringing them up from those piss poor bases is annoying.

I don't really know what to think of Wolf. He needs time to grow. For warpskip runs, I don't consider him very useful. But if your not doing the chapter in 1 or 2 turns, Sedgar will have a chance to shine. Those excellent (I think I'm underrating them still) growths transform those poor bases into solid stats. He will gain EXP slowly though, due to being a pre-promote.

I think that deserves a 6/10.

Sedgar

He's like Wolf except with worse bases and poor luck

takes a lot of exp to get going, and once he's there, his weapon ranks are iffy at best, but he'll be a pretty solid unit.

6/10

Switch to General for instant OMG, which is great if you want to blockade the chapter 6 door. If not, it's not like leveling him is ridiculously hard, either - reclass to Sorcerer and have him heal until he's near leveling, then switch maps and have him gain a level in a more suitable class. Weapon ranks will take time to catch up, but once he gets going, watch him rip through things.

8/10 (bias point thrown in 'cause I think he's hotter than Wolf)

6/10 for crappy bases despite his growths. Still will lose all day to a properly raised Abel/Cain.

They're not crappy bases, though. They're very slightly lower than an average Abel or Cain at 6/--, but more importantly, Hardin has some of the best absolute bases in the game for non-gaiden units.

Uh, dondon, this isn't Hardin's thread. He's referring to Sedgar.

Sedgar's bases as a level 1 promoted unit ties or loses to level 1 unpromoted Abel in most stats. That's kinda...well, terrible bases considering he's, well, promoted.

But yeah, what most people said. Terrible bases, hax growths. Can be a general and block points. Not really all that necessary in nonwarpskip play but can become a good combat unit given a few levels. 6/10.

A bit of a pain to level at first but there are ways around that, terrific growths (including >100% DEF! :awesome:) and makes a great General.

8/10 + 1 bias because I <3 using him and I find the concept of a prepromo growth unit very intriguing (and it's a concept I'd like to see more of in FE) = 9/10!

So what do we have here? Growth unit who is good once he get's going? Sounds awfully lot like Est. What is this rate of leveling up?

6/10 with negative bias because people who say he is better than Wolf annoy me so 5/10

While his growths are amazing, he gets going very slowly. It might be just me but he is quite horrible as Hero(dat durability and atk) or Warrior(dat AS and hit) for first few levels and I have unjustified hate for Generals(also I will never let him chokepoint this map because I always find Horseslayer better against dat Silver Lance). Sorcerer exp is easy but tedious and all in all, I can't stop thinking why am I not using Wolf?

As much as I heart Sedgar. . .Wolf joins with a couple more points of HP (whee) and three more Luck. He'll forever beat Sedgar in Luck, and he grows better in Attack. He also doesn't have a negative Speed base.

How is Wolf better?

1) I welcome you to the club I hate you

2) Better bases that mean better performance when they suck

3) Better Str so he starts killing stuff faster to get out of the suck faster

4) Lower Def is pointless as General because Tanks like no tomorrow anyway and either isn't being bulky any time soon in any other class

4a) Better base Hp compensates when Sedgar starts to get little def lead

4b) By the time Sedgar has mentionable durability lead (statistically) both kill everything and never dies (practically)

Everyone seems to forget Sedgar's -1 Spd base too. Hmm...

Yea, I didn't mention it, did I?

I meant the usual party who hypes him to high hell and back. Though I also didn't realize you guys took it into account with your votes, too. That's what I get for reading something 6 am in the morning.

I would say 6/10 here myself, especially in H2. Maybe in H5 I could slightly justify a higher ranking, but not by much more.

Edited by Colonel M

@ Colonel:Wouldn't Wolf/Sedgar's ranking be lower in H5 ? I mean with sucky bases and slow exp gain, it takes forever to get them out of their rut.

@ Colonel:Wouldn't Wolf/Sedgar's ranking be lower in H5 ? I mean with sucky bases and slow exp gain, it takes forever to get them out of their rut.

Honestly, this goes back to Warpskip vs non-Warpskip. In Warpskip, their ratings would likely be about the same or possibly lower, but their contributions aren't completely terrible in every regard. In a non- Warpskip condition, Sedgar and Wolf have more time to widen their growth leveling, and Sedgar / Wolf level nicely in Chapter 9 by Warping him near the Horsemen / Cavaliers on a fort. They function decently as Heroes, and they still have Horseman to fall back on for chapters where bows are needed for DracoKnights. They aren't spectacular, but you do need some foot units in the game for oddball enemies.

I actually think they'd be fine with a rating of 6 in H5 too. Because well,, if you lvl them they turn out pretty reliable, so yeah. They're certainly better than scrubs like Gordin/Castor/Cord/Bord.