Rate the Unit, Day 16: Karin

Mikado

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity, which where then copied from the FE10 ratings)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get home from school, between 1500 and 1600 EST.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a warp staff" or any other justification as an argument.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- Scrolls do have impact on a unit's rating. Though they are counted as a seperate point, but no more than +/-1. So that means one point for bias and one for scrolls!

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Ronan: 2.42

Marty: 2.89

Tanya: 3.82

Evayl: 5.02

Brighton: 6.90

Machua: 7.03

Halvan: 7.35

Dagda: 7.54

Rifis: 7.70

Leaf: 8.18

Felgus: 8.79

Othin: 8.86

Lara: 8.92

Fin: 9.06

Safy: 9.48

To be honest, I don't like Karin. Both as a unit and character. Sure, she as good speed, and a flying horse so that she can reach places no other units can go, but her combat is so bad. She might be decent if you train her early on, but once I get Dean and Eda I just ditch her in chapter 13 and never see her again (Well, until 21x).

4/10 (5/10 with -1 bias)

Edited by Passive Knight

Only flier for the first half of the game. Low HP and Strength kinda bring her down, not to mention E in Lances, but her amazing utility really helps offset this. You WILL use her.

9/10.

Fly

Dismount

destroy ballistae

Fun shit

8/10 + 1 bias for using her high mag stat to fill in what I usually have Sety handle in chapter 24x on my girls-only run. Took a Flame Sword, Wind Sword, and a pure water and wrecked some dark mages.

9/10

As the only flier on your team for about 10 chapters, she's the only one Karin about your turncounts.

Rubbish strength and durability, but a double support with Fergus mitigates this somewhat. She's another head at least in Manster, and her contribution in visiting villages, carrying people over the wall, and sniping from the mountains in chapters 6 and 7 is unmatched. Afterwards, she becomes merely a useful outdoor unit, as ballistae start to pop up. Lategame, she's still helpful because Dean can't be everywhere. I'll throw in a bias point for getting me a Sety scroll.

8+1/10

She starts out in Manster by being Lara without thieving and only 5 movement but she can defend herself a bit better. To her credit, the sword rank she can build there can be useful later on while Lara should never be fighting. Capturebait is another option, and the mutual support with Fergus makes it even easier since his critical skyrockets when she's around.

Her stats are fairly typical of Pegasus Knights. High Speed and Luck makes her dodge a lot, but it's sadly a bit unreliable even with Fergus' support, while she's not really meant to take physical hits with such low HP and Defense. She has a good Magic base and a fairly average growth, but should you train her to B ranked swords, she can be quite powerful with magic swords. Low Build is a bit annoying since she loses avoid from wielding most weapons, while her low Strength usually means she wants a strong weapon if you want her to deal some damage, especially with a low PCC of 1. Early on, she'd definitely appreciate some Hezul for some bulk, protection against fatigue and a wee bit of strength. Some Neir is also appreciated if you want her to use some heavier weapons with less penalties as well.

As your only flyer until the Dragon Knight siblings appear, she does boast a lot of utility through chapter 6 to 13, from rescuedropping Leaf and pals, destroying ballistae, visiting villages in the wilderness and more, which gives her lots of points. Because she's so bad at combat, she wouldn't mind the Wrath scroll, especially because she tends to meet enemies way before the rest of the army does. The Elite scroll isn't a bad idea either thanks to her low base level. Even after Dean joins and generally outclasses her in usefulness thanks to his great combat, she can still help him ferrying units around. Training her also makes the task of recruiting Eyrios and Misha much less painful as well.

Great unique utility for the first half of the game, salvageable combat with ressources that she probably uses better than most thanks to movement.

9/10

Edited by Dio