Wii U

Randoman

Before I start this thread, I just want to say let's try to avoid having this thread turn into a console war. Saying things like "there aren't any Wii U games that interest me yet" or "I probably won't pick one up, since I'm not a Nintendo fan," is alright. Things like "this is going to be another Dreamcast scenario," "Nintendo keeps going downhill," or "The Wii U is already failing miserably" however, won't be. Let's all try to keep an open mind and be optimistic about Nintendo's new console. Even Sony is being nice and optimistic about it, and they're one of Nintendo's top competitors. I'll admit myself that the console has some flaws like slow loading times, but compared to all the new features the Wii U has that no other console does, that's nothing. Anyways...

Has anyone gottena Wii U yet? If not, do you plan on getting one later on?

black_wii_u_gamepad.jpg?w=625

I got mine yesterday. I got lucky on my first store visit and got one from Future Shop. I couldn't help but feel bad getting one knowing that so many people are wanting a Wii U and I kind of took one away from them. The Future Shop lady was really nice and said I shouldn't worry about that. I talked to this guy at Future Shop that said that he checked Wal-Mart (which was all sold out), Toys R Us (which only had Wii U's to satisfy pre-orders, and even then there weren't enough), and Superstore (which didn't even have any yet). When he asked for a Wii U, the lady said she'd check but she couldn't guarantee that she could get him one (they only had 14 "on-shelf" Wii U's).

Anyways, the console itself is just slightly larger than the Wii. With both consoles standing up, they're about the same height (but that's because the Wii's stand gives it ~1.5 inches in height) while lengthwise the Wii U is ~2 inches longer. This is taking into account the Wii's front and not the whole console since on its stand the Wii is tilted so the front is higher than the back. The Gamepad is lighter than expected, like a lot of other people said. The span of the Gamepad is pretty big and feels kind of awkward at first, but you get used it it after the first 10-15 minutes. The interface and menus for the Wii U is really easy to use and navigating menus and typing in text/passwords with the touchscreen is really easy and straightforward.

As for the games, I got New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, and Scribblenauts Unlimited. I know most people think Nintendo has gone overboard with NSMB, but seeing how they've only released one New Super Mario Bros. game per console (like Mario Kart, which most people don't complain about and in fact people expect), I wouldn't go complaining yet.

Anyways, the level design has actually changed quite a bit and is much more involving and chaotic than past NSMB games, especially with the enemy density and a majority of levels being really dynamic with platforms and floors shifting a lot more than in past installments. Although this sounds like it makes multiplayer bad, they balance it out quite well by providing plenty of power ups and 1UPs to counteract damage taken and lives lost (way more than past NSMB games, but given the hecticness of the levels, it's understandable). The Wii U Gamepad's boost mode isn't just a gimmick, it's really involving for the Gamepad player, giving them roles like stopping enemies from raining down spike balls on players (which saved my brothers and I from a world of pain), saving players from falling into pits (which happens quite often due to the chaoticness of the levels as I mentioned before), and getting hard to reach 3UP moons, which will only show up if you have a Gamepad player using boost mode effectively. Yeah, the general formula is the same as NSMB games, but the level design that jampacks the levels with enemies, powerups, and secrets, never leaving a dull moment which makes this Mario installment feel quite fresh.

Nintendo Land, I've only played three of the minigames: Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin Adventure. Mario Chase is really simple, yet really fun. A lot of people say that, I know, but you won't know what I mean until you've played it. All the screaming and excitement that you get when the Mario Mii is in your sight and you're chasing him down, all the planning that happens after the Mario Mii escapes, the thrill of finding the Mario Mii and homing in on him, it's so much fun. Luigi's Mansion is also riduculously fun, especially when the mansion explorers start to get picked off by the ghost. It gets so much more thrilling and exciting since you can revive picked off people, but it costs you flashlight power which leaves you vulnerable for the ghost. The aforementioned screaming and excitement feeling also applies to Luigi's Mansion, but it's more of a strategical excitement than a action excitement. Pikmin Adventure, I only tried the first co-op level (and a competitive match), so I can't accurately judge. It was kind of fun, but not as fun as the other two aforementioned games.

Scribblenauts Unlimited I only did the firehouse and museum levels. It's as fun as the DS version, but I can't really accurately judge since I only did two levels (and I didn't even use the Object Creator, the game's main attraction). All I can say is, if you're aiming for Starrites, don't let other players take control of dangerous created objects. Even creating a bug for my siblings to play as backfired on me when one of my younger brothers killed a fireman with the bug. Though I'll admit, it was kind of fun seeing my brothers wreak chaos as objects like wrenches (as in, my brother was the wrench), campfires, speakers, crickets, crates, and the like. Pillows seem to be the only safe object that you can't kill people with so far.

I briefly went on the Miiverse, and I have to say, seeing what casual gamers have to say about other games is really nice and enjoyable. Although many people see the heavy moderation of the Miiverse as a bad thing, I think it's really great. In a world where you can't go to any online community without flaming, game/game company/game series bashing, opinion bashing, and the like, it's really nice to have at least one online community that's free of all that. I only checked comments about New Super Mario Bros. U, and all of them were clean, optimistic, and in no way could offend anyone. It was an extremely nice change of pace from what I've come to expect from every online community.

Overall, I have to say the Wii U is pretty amazing and it really does give a whole new gaming experience with the Wii U Gamepad.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MONSTER HUNTER TRI ULTIMATE and then Integrity owned a Wii U.

(read: sometime next year when ^ happens)

googles*

Well it seems I'm excited my little brother will be getting it for christmas... And i also get to play Xenoblade if i can find it in stores. I also get to play Fire emblem radiant dawn and finish that draft i have to finish.

Edited by SlayerX

Seems interesting. I seriously hope this does well, I've always been a fan of Nintendo and I enjoy the fun of their games. Wii party is perfect for what you would think from reading the title of it, and SSBB has had my attention for more than 300 hours now.

Definitely want one, but likely won't be able to get one till my B-day in the summer because A) they'll be sold out during Christmastime and B) I don't just have $350 lying around, especially now that I'm in college.

On the bright side though, a lot more games will be out by then, particularly Rayman Legends, the game that I want the most.

As a side note, has anyone played ZombieU yet? It got surprisingly mixed reviews considering its hype and I was curious how it actually is.

Edited by Delicious Yogurt

There are so many good games out I have not played for other systems. If I do get a new system, it'll probably be a 3DS. And since I weathered the release of the 999 sequel, I probably won't buy a 3ds until FE13 comes out.

I think Nintendo is doing alright as far as my preferences are concerned, though. I hope the Wii-U's features add substantial flavor to their flagship games. I'll probably get one before Nintendo releases their next gen-advancing console.

I'm glad that the Wii-U was not released at the same time as another console. I don't really think consumers who are at least moderately satisfied with their current collections benefit from those kinds of launch windows.

I have a friend who got one, I'll probably get to try it out for myself before I buy it.

Edited by Mouse

I'll be getting one sometime between now and Christmas, I imagine. Going to pick up a Deluxe addition and possibly NSMB:U. I'm mostly waiting for Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate. I've already got 245 hours in MH3T on the Wii, and I'm sure I'll get that much and much more out 3U.

Was trying to get one yesterday, but all six of the places I called were out of them within an hour of the store opening.

I'm sorry to hear that. What places did you try?

Perhaps you could find out when Superstore is getting Wii U's then get one there before anyone else finds out they have some? That's assuming that the Superstores in your area are in a similar situation as the ones in my area (where they didn't have Wii U's in stock yet).

Won't be getting one until the price goes down and it actually has good games on it.

Aww... come on. Lighten up. I understand the price issue, not having any games that appeal to you, and waiting for the Wii U game library to grow before getting one, but saying there's no good games? The Wii U launch library has plenty of good games, and a large variety of game genres (2D platformers, party games, FPS, racing, fighting, sports). And with the whole new experience that the Wii U Gamepad provides (even for game series that you're familiar with), you can't accurately say the games aren't good until you've tried them out yourself.

I'll be getting one sometime between now and Christmas, I imagine. Going to pick up a Deluxe addition and possibly NSMB:U.

If you've got other people to play New Super Mario Bros. U with (or at least someone willing to learn Boost Mode and help you out with it), I highly recommend it.

Speaking of New Super Mario Bros. U, I'm really suprised that I've already missed two secret levels when I'm only at the end of Desert Layer Cake. My brothers and I were able to hunt down every Star Coin so far, but we haven't found anything that even resembles a secret exit.

If you've got other people to play New Super Mario Bros. U with (or at least someone willing to learn Boost Mode and help you out with it), I highly recommend it.

Speaking of New Super Mario Bros. U, I'm really suprised that I've already missed two secret levels when I'm only at the end of Desert Layer Cake. My brothers and I were able to hunt down every Star Coin so far, but we haven't found anything that even resembles a secret exit.

I can probably get my friend that lives up the street from to play it with me quite a bit, and maybe if I'm lucky I can get my dad to play and have him not do too bad. I wasn't going to get it originally, but it sounds a lot better than previous NSMB games, so I think I'll definitely get it.

(edited out the responses that weren't relevant to save some space.)

Edited by El Bombito

Wii U's launch lineup is possibly the worst of any console launch in recent memory. I have to say I'm with Seph on this one, and I bought GC/Wii/DS on day one :P.

Though I eventually sold my Wii for similar reasons; no good games after I'd played the ones I did like to death.

Edited by Tangerine

Aww... come on. Lighten up. I understand the price issue, not having any games that appeal to you, and waiting for the Wii U game library to grow before getting one, but saying there's no good games? The Wii U launch library has plenty of good games, and a large variety of game genres (2D platformers, party games, FPS, racing, fighting, sports). And with the whole new experience that the Wii U Gamepad provides (even for game series that you're familiar with), you can't accurately say the games aren't good until you've tried them out yourself.

Every "good game" on the WiiU can be bought on every other console/computer. Mass Effect 3, Batman, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed 3, Darksiders 2, etc.; they're all already on either Xbox or PS3, or computer, and most all of them will be cheaper because they're not being released new right away. And don't assume that I can't accurately say anything about the games, I've seen the trailers, I've even played some of them on other systems, and I've seen the gimmick of the WiiU Gamepad. It doesn't look fun at all. I promise you that if I do eventually get a WiiU I will go out of my way to not use that pad. The ONLY game on the WiiU that I would play at launch is ZombiU. That is it. And one game isn't enough for me to get a console. So until this console has ANY GOOD GAMES on it, I won't be getting it.

good games are defined as the next Smash game, Monster Hunter Ultimate, and an FE game if it is created.

now if you enjoy it, go nuts, but I can definitely say I am not impressed in anyway with the launch list.

Edited by seph1212

Won't be getting one until the price goes down and it actually has good games on it.

That and i have more important things to worry about and spend that kind of cash on right now and in the very near future. (like, i dunno...moving?)

Nothing about the Wii U screams "Hey Florina! Fucken buy me!" Nothing. And this is coming from a leal Nintendo fangirl customer for 25 years.

Im not done with my Wii and my 3DS is doing just fine in satisfying my gaming wants and needs.

I love my 3DS and I want a WiiU, but my school situation would make a console purchase a little pointless right now. I definitely want the Deluxe version and I'm looking forward to NSMB and NintendoLand for the multiplayer goodness. Having easy-to-set-up multiplayer is highly underrated, and this is why the XBox makes me boil up inside every time we try to do something with it.

ZombiU, Pikmin 3 and the pseudo-Pikmin superhero/katamari somethingorother game look (equal to or greater than) neat, and Pikmin alone could probably make me get a new console eventually, but I'm still on the "wait until I can't afford not to own it" end of the spectrum.

Man, maybe it's just nostalgia for when I was just becoming self-aware, but does anybody else remember the gamecube release, like, really fondly? Of course I got it for Christmas, so it wasn't quite a day one buy or anything, but Rogue Squadron, Melee, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion? That still seems like the launch lineup to beat, at least overcome my nostalgia factor.

Super Smash Bros Melee wasn't a launch title. There was about a month gap before it came out, though it was squeezed in before Christmas. I do remember that Christmas fondly though. However, while Nintendoland and NSMB are no Rogue Squadron or Brawl, I heard they are excellent multiplayer games, so it's not all doom and gloom for this launch lineup if you're in the market for games to play at parties. That was the strength of the Wii and I for one am looking forward to the unique local multiplayer of the WiiU.

I'm really confused by people's reactions; the Wii U has what I'd consider a great launch line-up. What exactly are these modern systems which have better launches? The only thing Wii U is lacking is the killer exclusive, and NSMB U is pretty close to that. No system since the original Xbox has had an exclusive killer app at launch. I mean, seriously, compare this to Wii launch. Sure Wii had TP, but so did the Gamecube, and that was pretty much the only passable game other than the bundled Wii Sports. How is this worse? Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2, NSMB U, Scribblenauts, Nintendoland, ZombiU, a vastly improved Ninja Gaiden, Epic Mickey 2, and Sonic Racing, plus some sports and great-looking ports.

I'm not saying everyone should rush out and buy it, since there are definitely some concerns about the system's longevity, but it definitely has a huge number of high-quality titles.