If Fire Emblem on the 3DS is this good

Gold Vanguard

Considering Awakening is (one of) the best Fire Emblem yet, I'm not sure how easy it would be to make an even better one, no matter if it's on a console or a handheld. Also, wouldn't the idea that a console Fire Emblem would be better than a handheld Fire Emblem sort of imply that consoles are better than handhelds? Aren't they fairly even on the scale of "potential to make amazing games"?

It seems to me that Awakening is a handheld FE with console production values. So if they make a console FE with the same values and quality, it should be awesome.

But what really matters is what direction IS wants to take. They said themselves that:

1. The GBA games were meant to generate revenue.

2. The console games were what they really wanted to make.

3. Awakening is a collection of all the best FE ideas (and, personally, I reckon it's also their one-time trump card).

Since they've raked so much cash from Awakening, they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Although SMT X FE is gonna complicate things in the short-term.

Edited by VincentASM

It seems to me that Awakening is a handheld FE with console production values. So if they make a console FE with the same values and quality, it should be awesome.

But what really matters is what direction IS wants to take. They said themselves that:

1. The GBA games were meant to generate revenue.

2. The console games were what they really wanted to make.

3. Awakening is a collection of all the best FE ideas (and, personally, I reckon it's also their one-time trump card).

Since they've raked so much cash from Awakening, they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Although SMT X FE is gonna complicate things in the short-term.

Well, this explains why I loved the Tellius games so much more than the other FEs. They were the ones that actually had effort put into them. lol

But I still like FE7 and FE8. The latter moreso.

But I agree that FE would look amazing on the Wii U with the realistic HD graphics and gameplay similar to what RD has! The SMT crossover could possibly give us a sneak peek of what FE would look like on it too!

*Cites FE10's Part 3 and Part 4 plot and support system*

I thought Part 3 was the best part of the game. And not because of Ike either. The support system sucked though, I agree with that. But no game is perfect.

I generally prefer console games. But that doesn't mean I don't think some handheld games are amazing either. Zelda: The Minish Cap is one of my favorite games outside of FE, and it's for GBA.

And I really wanted an FE for the 3DS, and we got Awakening! Now I've got my hopes for a Wii U one someday. :3

I feel like the depth of the characters in Path of Radiance exceeds that of Awakening (well, for the Greil Mercs at least), which returns to some one-note traits of the GBA games. For such a large cast that has so many variables due to the family system, I can see why they simplified the characters. However, the gameplay in Awakening is more refined than it has ever been. I can see the console versions refining the Awakening gameplay further while having the more ambitious primary characters of Path of Radiance.

Yeah, I loved Ike and his mercenaries! I'd love to see characters like them again in a Wii U FE. :D

Meaning, I'd like to see another lord that isn't of noble or royal birth like Ike. This lord doesn't have to be too much like him of course, heck I made one that's a lot different myself. The only things she has in common with him are being a common mercenary and having a somewhat similar unique starting class. Otherwise, she's not based on Ike at all.

Yeah. I feel console experiences are superior, especially because my whole family can be involved (my sibs and I like playing and watching cutscenes and even voiceacting them together!).

I also at this moment do not feel as much love for the characters in Awakening as I did for the Tellius games. I am not sure why that is (aside from more fanservice angle lol), but perhaps the console games tend to add more backstory depth (even though RD has a huge cast and you only get a glimpse of some of the backstory of a few members, it still somehow feels more fleshed out--but I've yet to finish Awakening, so who knows!). I really like Awakening's different gameplay elements, and they are really refined and will probably get more refined with each new iteration.

After having finished Awakening, my belief that Path of Radiance had a superior story is fully entrenched. In fact, aside from some key moments in Awakening, the story is a bit on the fluffy lemon meringue pie side of things. It's a great game, and certainly the best handheld Fire Emblem, but Path of Radiance is still the story king in my heart. That said, I still really love many of the characters in Awakening (especially the excessively dramatic ones like Henry and Owain), but I just don't feel the same about their own tragedies like I did when Mist and Jill comforted each other over their fathers.

I haven't seen the plot of awakening in english yet, but based on these supports I'm inclined to agree with samias about everything wrt path of radiance. There was just something about path of radiance - it felt like almost everyone had a very good reason to be there. I didn't feel that from any other FE game.

I know FE has been a handhold series for quite a few games, but I tend to enjoy consoles a lot more in terms of playing games. I'd love to see Fire Emblem go to the Wii U! If they put the effort in I'm sure the Wii U could have a spectacular FE game. FE10 gets a lot of hate, but I appreciate all the little details they put into that game, it's among my favorites for sure.

From what I've seen of Awakening so far, the story seems okay. For some reason it doesn't quite captivate me as much as 9/10.