The Lunatic Club

• Please log in to reply
3013 replies to this topic

#41 Othin

Othin

Trapped in Biden's time machine

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I restarted more times on my first time on Lunatic Ch2 than on my first time on Lunatic+ Ch2 just from how much better I got at the game throughout my first Lunatic run. Same goes for the rest of the game through Ch9, which is as far as I played in Lunatic+, although it doesn't count quite as much for the later chapters since I was actually playing sidequests on Lunatic+.

Not quite sure why I stopped, but I plan on cutting through it pretty soon on the American version, once I unlock it again.

#42 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

The princess's waifu

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

and grinding your ass don't count nigga

Yes, because I can't have fun with my copy of the game just because I would bring shame to famiry for not being legit on the final chapter because Vincent wanted those Lunatic+ skill icons.

Edited by shadowofchaos, 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#43 someonewhodied

someonewhodied

♪♪♪

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm restarting my Lunatic+ Classic run later. Need to do another Normal, Casual run and make a MU that is +Luck, -STR and give her armsthrift, astra, lifetaker, Renewal, and Galeforce. Then comes the challenge of getting to CH4.
(also I realized that I didn't re-beat the game after capping renown on my Normal Casual file)

Edited by someonewhodied, 11 February 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#44 Kngt_Of_Titania

Kngt_Of_Titania

Where there's a Wil, there's a way.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Well, first of all, long time, no see, guys! Good to see Paperblade and Othin are doing well. :D

Count me in for the Lunatic club. As masochistic as I am, I'm doing a Lunatic efficiency run my first time through. I got blocked by Ch. 2 for a while, got delayed by graduate school interviews, and just now beat Ch. 3.

So far, my turn counts are (mostly typing this because I know I'll start forgetting them):

Prologue - 5
Ch. 1 - 4 (IIRC)
Ch. 2 - 6
Ch. 3 - 4 (ORKO'd the boss w/ a 21x2 silver lance assault >:D)

Unfortunately, I have like 1 use of silver lance left, although I just got Luna on Freddy. I've been partially successful on getting levels on everybody else, but it's hella hard in the early chapters. Not getting Hammer or Heal in Ch.3 may come back to bite me in the ass, though.

Wish me luck, and I hope you all are enjoying Lunatic as much as I am! Posted Image

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania, 11 February 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#45 Othin

Othin

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

You... don't have the Hammer? Why? You're going to want that later. And the Silver Lance, for that matter.

#46 Fruity Insanity

Fruity Insanity

に、兄さん・・・

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hey, people, do you think Lunatic is an okay difficulty to start on?
I don't want to stress over the game on my first playthrough. But I want to unlock Lunatic+ as soon as possible.

Don't know which to do... (I know I'm certainly capable of beating it in Lunatic, I'm just not sure if I want to that quickly...)

#47 Othin

Othin

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I don't want to stress over the game on my first playthrough. But I want to unlock Lunatic+ as soon as possible.

Don't know which to do... (I know I'm certainly capable of beating it in Lunatic, I'm just not sure if I want to that quickly...)

No way.

#48 Miikaya

Miikaya

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

You... don't have the Hammer? Why? You're going to want that later. And the Silver Lance, for that matter.

I don't recall seeing many armored units between Chapters 5 and 11, inclusive, so I don't think it's too big a deal to miss out on that. The armor knights in Chapter 4 are pretty easy to deal with using Iron weapons with Frederick. The freebie Hammer in Chapter 12 ought to be enough to last a while. Not having many Silver Lance uses can also be worked around. I'd be more worried about the low amount of experience received by Chrom than by the loss of these weapons. Getting Chrom enough experience to fight Grima in a LTC run of FE 13 seems much more difficult than, say, getting Marth enough experience to fight Medeus in a LTC run of FE 12.

Yes, it's not unreasonable to start on Lunatic (disclaimer: I haven't yet finished it, and am on Chapter 20). I personally might have had more fun first going through the game on Hard, just to get the pairings I like, but that's just me.

Edited by Redwall, 11 February 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#49 Othin

Othin

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

The freebie Hammer in Chapter 12 ought to be enough to last a while.

It really, really isn't.

Gotta think long term. Specifically, Chapter 20. You need all the Hammers you can get there.

#50 Kngt_Of_Titania

Kngt_Of_Titania

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Now, as a matter of saving turn counts, I need to know a couple things.

1) How long is Paralogue 1 open?
2) Recommend Paralogue 1 or Ch. 4 first on Lunatic?

#51 Paperblade

Paperblade

Love's Vagrant

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Ch. 19 is the one with all the Generals and Great Knights, Ch. 20 has a good # but not that many

How do you miss the Ch. 3 Hammer anyway

#52 Othin

Othin

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Paralogues are open forever. In any case, I suggest Ch4 first, then P1 before you do Ch5. P1 is tougher than Ch4, but you really want that Rescue staff for Ch5.

Can't speak about an turn count perspective, but it should go along the same lines.

Ch. 19 is the one with all the Generals and Great Knights, Ch. 20 has a good # but not that many

How do you miss the Ch. 3 Hammer anyway

You didn't kill Walhart on Turn 1 in Ch19? I'm impressed; my strategy of choice was reset-spamming to one-round him. Can't imagine doing it the hard way.

Edited by Othin, 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#53 Miikaya

Miikaya

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Paralogue 1 features stronger enemies than Ch 4, so doing Ch 4 first may save you some turns. Then again, I'm old-fashioned, so if I were playing with the sort of standardized guidelines one might imagine in LTC runs of FE 13, I might want to do Paralogue 1 first since it feels weird not to do sidequests as soon as they're available.

#54 Paperblade

Paperblade

Love's Vagrant

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Paralogues are open forever. In any case, I suggest Ch4 first, then P1 before you do Ch5. P1 is tougher than Ch4, but you really want that Rescue staff for Ch5.

Can't speak about an turn count perspective, but it should go along the same lines.

You didn't kill Walhart on Turn 1 in Ch19? I'm impressed; my strategy of choice was reset-spamming to one-round him. Can't imagine doing it the hard way.

I killed him on Turn 3

#55 Doga

Doga

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Chapter One was a miserable experience until I realized Freddy could have Avatar's sword.

Chapter Two seems to have no such solution.

#56 Miikaya

Miikaya

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

It really, really isn't.

Gotta think long term. Specifically, Chapter 20. You need all the Hammers you can get there.

I have a save at Chapter 20, and while I haven't yet completed it, it doesn't look that armor-saturated, certainly not to the tune of needing 25 more Hammer uses. I mean, have a look at the preceding chapters:

Ch 13: no armors
Ch 14: about ten armors, but can be cleared in one turn without KOing any armors (perhaps not advisable, but worth considering for a LTC run)
Ch 15: a few armors
Ch 16: one armor (the boss)
Ch 17: no armors
Ch 18: no armors
Ch 19: many armors, but for the sake of sanity, probably ought to be cleared in one turn, whether in a LTC run or a leisurely run

Someone who frequently uses Cherche to kill armors in Chs 13-19 might want those extra 25 Hammer uses, but given the amount of options available for beating the rather weak-ish armors in the chapters preceding Ch 20 (Rapier, magic, strong axe users with or without Hammer), I wouldn't say that missing the Ch 3 Hammer ought to cause too much of a headache.

#57 Kngt_Of_Titania

Kngt_Of_Titania

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Chapter One was a miserable experience until I realized Freddy could have Avatar's sword.

Chapter Two seems to have no such solution.

Let's be honest...Chapter 2 is a GIGANTIC pain in the ass, even if you go slow. Trust me, it's like 10x worse if you try to rush it. Let me try to find a video that will help you out...

Ah, here it is!

P.S. As for the Ch.3 hammer, I may or may not have killed the boss before the hammer warrior reached Freddy.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania, 11 February 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#58 Gone2Ground

Gone2Ground

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I started a Lunatic run on the bus home about two hours ago.
Yes it was lunatic/casual don't judge me that bus jitters and its really annoying to misclikc because of it
My reactions?
Spoiler ()

#59 Faye

Faye

危なかったぁ。

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I'm not even gonna try Hard Casual, no way in hell am I even gonna glance at Lunatic. 8D; My sister tried Lunatic Casual last night, though. She's not as good at the game yet, so she was stuck on the first chapter, and she kept getting Chrom and/or her Unit killed. After about 20 or so resets, she decided to step down to Hard.

Lunatic DOES look like it might be fun, but is the potential frustration worth it? D8 Lunatic+ sounds like it would drive you mad.

#60 Fruity Insanity

Fruity Insanity

に、兄さん・・・

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Um... to some, yes; to others, no.
I myself enjoy resetting and finding the perfect strategy to use, but I don't think everyone is cut out for Lunatic (although I think most people have the potential).

For starters, you could do Hard Classic. (Casual is for wimps.)
It'd be good practice for Lunatic... (although it wouldn't be enough practice, since the step-up is pretty big...)