Gangrel and other Spotpass Characters Useability

JoeAmor

So Awakening is my first foray into the Fire Emblem universe, but after how completely and totally blown away I was by this game, I definitely intend to look into some others... I would love for them to be added to the eshop soon, and given Nintendo's choice to release past FE characters for you to play with, I suspect this will happen before too long.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on something I found kind of frustrating about Gangrel and future spotpass releases, and see if anyone felt similarly, or if others had solutions to this problem. Seeing as how you have to wait until you have beaten all 25 main chapters of the game to access any of the downloadable paralogues, I was a little disappointed that this effectively means the characters you recruit in them are pretty useless, since there's not much to do in the game at that point except beat the final boss, which I've already done a couple times, and complete other DLC and bonus maps which won't be released for a while. There's no real incentive to take the time to really add any of the new characters I recruit to my team. I'd like to work Gangrel on to my team to build up his supports, but other than just using reeking boxes to bring more skirmishes to the map, there's not much real game with which to do this. I just thought this was a strange choice by Nintendo. The same with Flavia and Basilio. I would have liked to have had them in my party for much more than the 3 chapters we have left when we recruit them. I get that this is a game with much more playability after you've beaten it, but I have started a second playthrough already on hard mode (my first was on normal), so other than the new levels which haven't been released yet, I feel like there's no point in recruiting new members other than just to recruit them.

Has anyone else found a way to utilize these characters in their parties, or do you just do random battles with them to get their supports convos? I guess I could level them up and work them onto my streetpass team. Idk, just something that I felt was a sort of missed opportunity here, especially since some of the recruitable characters won't be coming out for several weeks. I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

Flavia and Basilio were actually intentional design choices, they're there as your "oh shit I fucked up the game I won't be able to beat the final boss NEED HALP" units you get at the end of the game like most fire emblems. It's debatable of how much use they actually are in this regard, but well, now you know.

The spotpass DLC is basically just there to give people extra stuff to do and mess around with. I'm fairly certain nintendo doesn't actually intend for anyone to really use the spotpass characters other then for the lulz and on spotpass.

Edited by nyttyn

Patience. Every week, they release new SpotPass sets for us to fight with several high-level teams, and in three or four weeks they'll start releasing DLC maps harder than the Final, eventually totaling 10. The other SpotPass sidequests will also provide substantial postgame challenges, especially Priam's.

It can vary, they're obviously not going to be up to your other characters if they've capped their stats. But Flavia, Basillio and the Spotpass characters(excluding Emm)are definitely up to par to use in the other Spotpass chapters(and better the higher the difficulty setting is, e.g. Walhart isn't far off his caps in most stats on Lunatic when you recruit them) and later DLC.

Well, you'd need to complete the 25 story chapters, yes.

But you could still use them quite easily in any of the 23 paralogue/sidequest chapters that aren't required to get to that point. At worst, you at least are guaranteed to be able to use all but one of them for the last six paralogues that you unlock them in. And if you're planning on getting the DLC - which, as Othin said, eventually becomes harder than the final chapter - they can be nice to have.

However, I think most of them were intended as more "oh, cool, I can have this character on my team" rather than must-have combatants. It's more for characterization, in other words.

isn't Priam's the hardest non-DLC map

(also, Aversa's paralogue could troll you if you aren't ready for it)

No, there's just a whole lot of enemies. The map is simple enough that it's very easy for you to meatshield even when everyone is paired, and there aren't any reinforcements either.

I see the SpotPass characters as being slightly above the level of the secret characters in Sacred Stones, except they have much better stats and you can always try them in the Final or any unfinished sidequests, or use them to clear DLC maps. If you're playing Lunatic, they are going to be some of the best characters at your disposal since they join at high levels, to boot. They don't really have any supports to build because Avatar is the only one who can support with them anyway.

There's no real incentive to take the time to really add any of the new characters I recruit to my team. I'd like to work Gangrel on to my team to build up his supports, but other than just using reeking boxes to bring more skirmishes to the map, there's not much real game with which to do this.

Well, there are still those level 20 bonus teams that you can summon and fight against while you get supports and such.

I purposely put off all the children's sidequests (besides the ones I planned to use in my main team -- Inigo and Owain) to get more missions with the bonus characters, as some people have recommended.

I mean, it gives them a little more use then they would have had. And I think Gangrel's mission was much easier than a lot of the children's missions anyways.

So, if you'd be willing to not recruit children until the last second, you can use them. One or the other.

Either way, someone's going to have just a chapter with you. But there has to be one child you wouldn't care about anyways.

And, if you're still single, marrying them, of course. But, unless you planned to marry one, it's doubtful you'd still be unmarried.