Awakening featured on Penny Arcade

Samias

I got a chuckle at the Wednesday PA. Looks like awareness of Fire Emblem is way, way up!

Foul language warning: Penny Arcade

It's a bitter reminder that I cannot pair up Virion and Libra past bros4ever but hey, it's somewhat nice to see Fire Emblem acknowledged in one of the most popular webcomics. Other webcomics that have featured Fire Emblem as of late include Ctrl+Alt+Del and Brawl in the Family, with some accompanying glowing reviews.

I know, I had to ignore the part of my brain that tells me "NO THAT'S MECHANICALLY IMPOSSIBLE".

Edit: I thought I might signal boost another comic.

A more family-friendly comic: Brawl in the Family

This particular artist has been familiar with the series for some time as a big Nintendo fan, so I actually think the gag here is more original and a much more satisfying visual gag.

Edited by Samias

I am the sort of pedant who can't enjoy the comic because Freddy and Chrom can't S-support each other.

I hate myself.

It's not just you oops though I didn't think the joke was that funny even with it

That's funny. I don't know why they harp on you not being to "s-support" same genders but not being able to be black

even though your dad is black

but whatever.

Maybe they haven't gotten to a point where they find that out? I would assume they're not that far in.

If gay marraige was a mechanic, it would make the whole children system... it would make the whole game awkward mechanically. Even if you don't pair up the characters, if you acknowledge that they are straight, then that's fine, because at least they get substitute children... (I assume so, I haven't gotten that far yet :P, or rather, they will still get children just without skills, boosts in stat etc.)

Also since being gay or not is for the most part objective, as in, it is a part of a person, not for YOU to decide. They could have actual gay characters and they would be able to marry other potential gay mates. I don't agree that you would be able to control the sexuality of over 50+ characters at your finger tip. Most western games that allow gay relationships only make you decide the sexuality of one character, your avatar. So maybe if they had the option of making your avatar in FE13 gay, I'd be fine with that. Though this changes the potential mate of your avatar to... the entire friggin' cast of the game.

Awakening has very little to do with the medieval era in any sense but their non-magical technology level. The personalities, politics, and philosophies are straight-up modern.

Same-sex eugenics is solved by having the skills passed down via learning, rather than actual bloodline. So the gay couples adopt. Except for whoever has to wield Falchion or Loptous Staff or whatever other weapon may or may not be powered by bloodline this time.

I keep on thinking this is FE4 where blood matters, whereas this game doesn't in terms of its system of second generation children.

The adopting is a good way of handling the passing skills that I didn't think of. Though without a blood tie, the generation 2 characters would feel very much like replacement characters. Also my knowledge of the medieval times and the words usage isn't the best; I used it as a umbrella term and I don't think I agree that the people, politics and philosophies are straight-up modern.

the penny arcade writers usually write all their jokes intentionally

even with inside knowledge of what they're talking about, most laymen would get lost

pretty much all of their jokes are inside jokes with each other

i'm still a fan of the comic though, and it's nice to see fire emblem appealing to a bigger audience

And all I can think about is where Lucina would come from.

That said, I would play A Song of Pies and Fire.

Teehee!

We can always pretend that while characters got married, they had a paramour on the side. Like Virion get really "moved" by Libra. :awesome:

Hehe that Brawl in the Family one made me lol. Penny Arcade one didnt make me lol. But it is cool to see FE in one of their strips.