Which GBA FE had the best cast?

142 members have voted

1. 1. IYO which GBA FE had the best cast (in terms of personality/development)?

• FE6: Sword of Seals
    • FE7: Blazing Sword
    • FE8: Sacred Stones

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Blazing Sword, no contest.

Binding Blade's characters are pretty bland, by and large, and Sacred Stones' cast, while better, kind of lacked that certain something that Blazing Sword's characters had. Maybe it's the fact that almost everyone actually gets some form a genuine character development from a good portion of their supports, or the way they're all woven into the main story so no one's presence feels random, pointless or obligatory. Of course, it would be wrong to deny that nostalgia is a bit of a factor here, but even beyond it I do think Blazing Sword had a good cast which will always hold a special place in my heart.

7 > 8 > 6.

Though I liked 8's supports the most.

EDIT: Now that I think about it...8 > 7 > 6. Characters in FE8 actually had more of an incentive to fight in the war they were in, unlike some of FE7's characters that joined just because 'they were bored'.

Edited by ZMesu

8 > 7 > 6

Despite having less characters, FE8 player units were really fleshed out and generally more interesting than the other two games.

FE7 main characters were pretty bland, but the villains were probably the most interesting of the GBA games.

FE6's cast is basically recycled from both FE1 and FE3, with a few additions and/or modifications here and there.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

I go with FE8.

Yeah, it has a smaller cast, but that also means less filler and gives each individual unit more importance. As well, getting every support isn't nearly as painful, so I can actually enjoy them. :c

I find it funny how you forgot Geitz, who literally says it when Dart talks to him.

I was looking at only a part of the script. Besides, it's been a while since I've played it.

My point still stands though. Literally 2 people doenn't constitute towards "most of the cast".

Imo, FE7, basically because I prefer 7 over 6 & 8. But also, supports are quite good on FE7 because you get to know each character a bit deeper than just the generic conversations that occur when your visit/talk to recruit a character. FE8's supports are also good, but quintessence is quintessence :p

I was looking at only a part of the script. Besides, it's been a while since I've played it.

My point still stands though. Literally 2 people doenn't constitute towards "most of the cast".

Don't forget Karel. And while not necessarily as weak as those 3, Karla and Merlinus (if no 13x) have pretty weak reasoning for joining you too.

Edited by Constable Reggie

8 > 7 > 6

Despite having less characters, FE8 player units were really fleshed out and generally more interesting than the other two games.

FE7 main characters were pretty bland, but the villains were probably the most interesting of the GBA games.

FE6's cast is basically recycled from both FE1 and FE3, with a few additions and/or modifications here and there.

This

Can't agree more

FE8's cast is horrible, why is it even remotely close to FE6 let alone 7

Man Syrene and Forde and Kyle and Knoll and Vanessa and Colm and Moulder and Artur and Natasha and Tethys and Myrrh were all such amazing and fleshed-out characters I had to look up half their names while typing this post

I personally think FE8 has the most interesting cast. To me, FE7 and FE6 both had forgettable cast, with only a handful of characters I actually liked. I pretty much like everyone in FE8.

I like the cast of FE7 and FE8 equally. I'd say FE6 had the worst cast, as out of like 50 characters I felt like only 10-15 of them had thought put into their characterization.

Edited by Zelos

For me, the casts of FE8 and FE7 (Barring the Lords) were equal. The only redeeming value the FE6 cast has is the developed lore explored in FE7. It's like "Oh cool, X is Y's daughter/son".

The whole Ostian group (Hectors homeboys) were hilarious, like one big dysfunctional family. Also the Black Fang's back story was really cool, and you kinda even felt bad for them by the end of the story. FE7 was one of my favorite stories across any entertainment medium tbh.

FE7, definitely. Not only is there a great dynamic between the three lord characters, but Nergal's scheme is almost certainly the best plot in the series(that I've played, at least; I unfortunately lack personal experience with the JP-only games) and he's also one of the most interesting villains. Then there are all of the amazing characters who can be found through the varying chapters, although I have to admit that that was mostly helped by Lyn's story, since everybody could show up over the course of the main story chapters during that segment.

EDIT: Now that I think about it...8 > 7 > 6. Characters in FE8 actually had more of an incentive to fight in the war they were in, unlike some of FE7's characters that joined just because 'they were bored'.

Who are you talking about? The only ones I can think of are Geitz and perhaps Hawkeye and Canas. Everyone else has a reason to be fighting in the story.

As for me, I like the FE7 cast more than the others. FE6 had bland characters and a not-so-amazing story, while FE7 had quite a nice story and a good cast, and FE8 had an ordinary story with an ordinary cast (imo, I couldn't bring myself to like 90% of the characters. Eirika, Seth, Ewan and Duessel are the only player characters that I can remember of now).

Don't forget Karel. And while not necessarily as weak as those 3, Karla and Merlinus (if no 13x) have pretty weak reasoning for joining you too.

It's not exactly compelling IMO, but I think Karel had at least some logic behind joining.

Imagine being the bloodthirstiest, most ambitious swordsman of the age, going for the strongest under the sun and all that, and there being no war going on. At least, not really openly between nations. No war means there are only so many people you're going to find willing to fight you just for the love of the duel, given your reputation as a bloody walking natural disaster. So you're either going to stagnate, or try to keep your sword arm busy by taking on any glory hound dumb enough to try their luck, and/or taking mercenary work against, what, bandits? Other mercenaries? You'd probably be lucky to find someone half as skilled to take out, and even at that you'd be liable to plateau more than improve, if you're not being pushed to new limits.

If you're really desperate, you could express your deathwish by going around, picking fights to the death with actual feudal armies, but you probably want to exhaust your options before it comes to that, even if you are that crazy.

As king shit sword demon in your prime, the whole situation probably sounds dreadfully unfulfilling.

Then you see some nobility being assaulted by a horde of outlaws so numerous and so powerful, they might just qualify as the strongest fighting force in history not under a sovereign banner, and they probably even top quite a few of those. If you join the band belonging to those lordlings, you'll be kept fed and equipped, and will have carte blanche to slaughter some of the toughest people on the continent without end. Until they run out of people, at least.

Given you're a blood knight with no steady source of blood to draw, the idea of going from the former situation to the latter probably sounds to your ears like Christmas coming early sounds to the rest of us. Heck, you'd probably pay them for the privilege, if you weren't a filthy vagrant. And didn't have a potentially shaky grasp on reality.

Oh yeah topic

I prefer fe7's on a personal level but I'm fully willing to admit the nostalgia blinders are comfortably on, there, and I must +1 everybody from Ostia carrying half of everyone basically

Edited by Rehab

That's quite a bit of a stretch for Karel. Unfortunately, it's not quite right, because he joins just to see Lyn/Eliwood's future potential (he just happens to randomly be killing black fangs), which is really flimsy reasoning, especially for someone like Karel.

Compare him to Harken, and you can instantly see the huge difference for motivation.