Marth Aka the FE chars going in SSB

shane3x

Chrom is pretty much going to be in replacing Ike, although I would like if Nintendo put in the Masked Marth from FE:A in or at least have that specific design as a costume. It'd be nice if fe characters from the same game were together/playable.

If Robin/Avater/MU could be in too that'd be cool. His/her A moves could be all sword based and then his/her B moves could be magic based and his special could be like (Why I even need to spoiler this I dunno)

Grima/Evil Avatar appear and does an attack with Grima and then good Robin/Avatar gets rid of him.

We'd all love our favourite FE chars to appear, although you do have to look realistically. 3 FE chars in SSB4 could be possible given the game is getting more and more popular and FE:A is fan service/anniversary.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see Lucina make it in as playable, but that's just me wanting more female representation. It's not like there's alot of females to choose from in the first place, but not alot of people seem to think she can make it over Chrom, and that's assuming Ike even gets replaced. For all we know, FE's spike in popularity thanks to awakening could prompt nintendo to give us 3 FE reps.

I predict 2 FE characters in the next SSB game. Ike is out for Chrom. And Marth will either be back with a Masked Marth costume, or Marth is out for Lucina who will have a Masked Marth costume, and she will be a Marth clone.

If there is a 3rd FE character, it will be FE14's Lord IF the game is being developed at that time, but I doubt it.

I can just hope that they'll keep Ike.

My main in SSBM was Mewtwo and his replacement in SSBB doesn't fit me at all. Don't take Ike away from me, too ;_;

I remember that feeling back in the pre-Brawl era. I was quite doubtful that Marth would be removed, being a reoccuring lead and being the first FE protagonist (though plenty of Ike fans annoyingly insisted that Ike would replace both Marth and Roy (Roy, I agreed with being flavour of the month, but definitely not Marth). I can't believe I let myself even be somewhat convinced by them. It's ironic how the tables have turned in Smash Bros. 4 and how Ike's in danger now and Marth is practically guaranteed to stay in Smash Bros. 4). Ice Climbers, I was more doubtful towards since retros didn't have the relevance that the other Nintendo characters or series did. I was so relieved when both were confirmed to stay (I still remember the joy of seeing the update on the Dojo confirming the Ice Climbers would return and the Brawl intro confirming Marth's return).

I still came up with the backup plan of learning 2 of the original 8 (Yoshi and Donkey Kong in my case), to make sure I'd have some characters that I'm good with that would be available in every Smash Bros. game. Even though Mario is my third best behind Marth and ICs, I felt more secure having 3 perfect attendance starter mains.

tl;dr - I'd recommend maining one or two of the original 8 as backup just in case your mains don't make it.

I predict 2 FE characters in the next SSB game. Ike is out for Chrom. And Marth will either be back with a Masked Marth costume, or Marth is out for Lucina who will have a Masked Marth costume, and she will be a Marth clone.

If there is a 3rd FE character, it will be FE14's Lord IF the game is being developed at that time, but I doubt it.

Yeah, that's not happening. I'd even bet my SF Account on it.

That's as ridiculous as having Pichu replace Pikachu back in the Melee era. Marth and Pikachu are the #1 mascots of their respective franchises (even Marth's Falchion is used as the logo of the Fire Emblem series in Smash Bros.), and being replaced by the "flavour of the month" would make for really poor series representation. Lucina will eventually be old news later on down the road and be "just another FE lord." Marth will always be the first and most reocurring (or at least one of them if IS changes that with future games) Fire Emblem lead and he will always be synonymous with the creation of the Fire Emblem series.

And I doubt Smash Bros. 4 will pull a "Megaman removed in MvC 3" with Marth or any of their franchise leads like Mario, Link (though it's a different incarnation, it's still the same persona), or Olimar. Third parties are an exception, since they traditionally get removed for new guest characters (they do that in other fighters like Soul Calibur).

Anyways, I personally think Marth is guaranteed to stay, Chrom is really likely in the next Smash Bros., and Ike could go either way. Also, I'm quite sure that Sakurai cares more about series representation more than more females/non-sword users, so any other FE characters aren't as likely as those three.

I don't think Ike will be removed. He was added for different reasons than Roy and he's much more popular. If anything, we'll see Chrom added alongside Ike and Marth. FE could use more representation, especially since it has a lot of characters. Also, if Marth represents old school FE and Ike represents home console FE, Chrom will be there to represent handheld FE and the newest main lord.

Honestly, I'm also sick of people saying Ike will be removed just because Roy was. Oh wow, they swapped out an FE character ONCE. That's hardly a pattern. It's a first time thing.

Edited by Anacybele

Sakurai clearly doesn't care about representation, or we wouldn't have an abundance of Gen1 Pokémon in Brawl.

People assume Ike'll get removed because he probably has less priority than Marth and a newcoming FE character, and might not get into the game because of time constraints like Mewtwo and Roy.

I find the whole "Chrom will replace Ike" theory to be dumb. Actually, the whole "Any character will replace any character" theory is just dumb. It just doesn't seem right to swap a character out for another for each installment.

Lucas was meant to replace Ness in Melee, but delays in Mother 3 resulted in Ness being kept. And then Brawl had both, Ness and Lucas. Roy and Mewtwo (Along with few others) had unused data in the game disc, and were probably planned for Brawl, but there weren't enough time to include those characters. Those alone make me think the whole "replace" theory is just crap.

Dark Legend Vampire, you make a good point too. But sometimes characters will be replaced because newer characters are always being made. If no characters were cut, the roster would get so big that it would be ridiculous.

Whether or not people get replaced, I think we can all agree that FE should get a third rep (or fourth too...wishful thinking) especially since its recent popularity here in the west. Considering how mainstream the series is in Japan, I'm surprised they haven't already had 3 reps; and while I'm all for Chrom or Lucina getting in, I'm also hoping they put in a non-sword toting character to represent the good number of characters who don't use swords. Also for more variety.

But yeah, for me its win win with either Chrom or Lucina; Chrom's a favorite obviously as well as Lucy, but in her case we'd get more female reps, which IMO smash bros really needs more of.

I feel that if a character doesn't return it's because

A: They don't want the roster to get so huge, and they want room for new characters.

B: Time constraint

I agree with you, Silver Lightning. I'd love for FE to have four reps, actually. Ike, Marth, Chrom, and Ephraim. Ephraim cause he'd be difference since he has a lance instead of a sword. And because he rocks. :3

If Fire Emblem does get four represenitives, I can see them being Marth, Ike, Chrom and Lucina. But I'm really hoping Ike stays(and Falco), but that's besides the point. Oh, hey, if Chrom and Lucina do get it, will they have similar movesets? Lucina was taught by Chrom, Paralel Falchion, Exaulted Falchion. Ehhhh.

Sakurai clearly doesn't care about representation, or we wouldn't have an abundance of Gen1 Pokémon in Brawl.

Also, I'm quite sure that Sakurai cares more about series representation more than more females/non-sword users, so any other FE characters aren't as likely as those three.

See bolded.

I find the whole "Chrom will replace Ike" theory to be dumb. Actually, the whole "Any character will replace any character" theory is just dumb. It just doesn't seem right to swap a character out for another for each installment.

Lucas was meant to replace Ness in Melee, but delays in Mother 3 resulted in Ness being kept. And then Brawl had both, Ness and Lucas. Roy and Mewtwo (Along with few others) had unused data in the game disc, and were probably planned for Brawl, but there weren't enough time to include those characters. Those alone make me think the whole "replace" theory is just crap.

Well, there's the guest character issue I brought up that a reasonable exception to "swapping out characters" not being a good idea. I mean, it'd be quite ridiculous if Spawn and Yoda became regulars to every Soul Calibur after the one they first debuted in and Bad Box Art Megaman became a staple to Street Fighter.

And for series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem with new characters in every game, I think it'd be a bit ridiculous if they kept the same representatives for every new Smash Bros. game and didn't add any new ones. Even if they kept all characters and kept adding, it'd still be ridiculous. I mean, say for Smash Bros. 7 when we're at the 14th Pokemon Generation, whether they have 8-10 playable Pokemon characters (Pokemon Trainers only counting as one "character") or whether they keep it as Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Jigglypuff, it's still really ridiculous either way. The latter because there's way too many Pokemon characters (and Sakurai said that they've practically almost capped the character limit in Brawl) and the former because Generations 5-14 have no playable representation whatsoever. So cuts for series that have brand new casts for each game seems more reasonable than the above two situations.

But you're right that Ike and Lucario didn't replace Roy and Mewtwo (and I'm sick of Mewtwo fans claiming that, since Mewtwo and Lucario barely even share any moves and the newer gens need at least one playable Pokemon to make the Pokemon representation somewhat balanced. Just because so many people think Gen 1 was the "best", that doesn't mean that all other Gens shouldn't have playable representation in Smash Bros just because of their biased nostalgia). Victory themes, Classic Mode screens, and even final smash voice clips were found in Brawl's disc for Mewtwo and Roy. However, Ike and Lucario were prioritized in terms of development.

Proof? People hacked into Brawl's disc and found that everyone was supposed to have their own victory theme, even characters that came from the same game series were supposed to have different victory themes.

Here's the ones that were scrapped (link proof):

• snd_bgm_Z09_FLUIGI
  • snd_bgm_Z12_FKUOPA
  • snd_bgm_Z13_FPEACH
  • snd_bgm_Z14_FZELDA
  • snd_bgm_Z15_FSHEIK
  • snd_bgm_Z19_FFALCO
  • snd_bgm_Z20_FGANON
  • snd_bgm_Z24_FZEROSAMUS
  • snd_bgm_Z26_FLUCAS
  • snd_bgm_Z27_FDIDDY
  • snd_bgm_Z28_FPOKETRAINER
  • snd_bgm_Z32_FDEDEDE
  • snd_bgm_Z33_FLUCARIO
  • snd_bgm_Z34_FIKE
  • snd_bgm_Z37_FPURIN
  • snd_bgm_Z38_FMYU2
  • snd_bgm_Z39_FROY
  • snd_bgm_Z41_FTOONLINK

Notice that all primary series representatives (eg: Mario, Donkey Kong, Marth) aren't listed. That's due to their themes being the themes that represent the whole game series in the final version. Meta Knight's was the only unique theme that was used in the final version. Also, you might notice that Wolf doesn't show up here, implying that he may have been added really late in Brawl's development (which is further implied by the lack of a role in Adventure Mode he had), but that's a different story...

Anyways, the order that the themes are listed in give a rough idea as to which characters were prioritized first. Notice how Jigglypuff and Toon Link are some of the last characters listed, and how they weren't implemented in the actual story of Adventure Mode? That further proves the idea. Seeing how Ike and Lucario are higher on that list than Roy and Mewtwo (yet are still on it), it shows that Mewtwo and Roy were planned for Brawl, but weren't as prioritized as Lucario and Ike.

Something similar might happen with Super Smash Bros. 4 with newer characters being prioritized over older ones that aren't mascots, but we'll only find out once the full roster is revealed.

Having both Chrom and Lucina in is a ridiculous idea because they're so similar. I mean, they're FATHER AND DAUGHTER. And as stated, Lucina learned from Chrom. If anything, Lucina will be in as a costume for Marth because hello, she actually masqueraded as him.

Lucina could be an alternate set of costumes for Marth like how Wario had his old Mario bros look. But in this case an extra VA etc.

Chrom in alongside Ike would be pretty cool. At the end of the day we don't know what Sakurai and his people will decide to cut/leave in so. Any guess could be as likely as the next.

See bolded.

Sakurai won't add, say, Victini, just so he could have a GenV rep in SSB4. It might be one of the reasons, but not the only reason. Likewise, he won't add Chrom just so he can have a Fire Emblem character that represents the handhelds.

Sakurai won't add, say, Victini, just so he could have a GenV rep in SSB4. It might be one of the reasons, but not the only reason. Likewise, he won't add Chrom just so he can have a Fire Emblem character that represents the handhelds.

Marth already in a sense represents the handhelds thanks to FE11/12.

I think though due to the massive popularity of FE13 Chrom is likely. But hey who knows.

I was really only applying the "representation factor" to newer games in series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem, because of the how new casts get introduced with each new game (excluding remakes). You can't really expect them to keep only Marth and Ike for FE and Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Jigglypuff for Pokemon for every Smash Bros. until the end of time, since new Fire Emblem and Pokemon games will be released and only representing old games with the above series reps would make for pretty skewed representation.

I think it needs to be said that FE12 keeps Marth "recent" (albeit only in Japan) enough that he's technically representing both the franchise and a recent game, which makes his inclusion highly likely.

As for Chrom, MU and Lucina. . . in my mind, Chrom probably has the priority.

MU is customizable, and I don't think most people use the default appearance, or at least not as frequently is done in games such as Mass Effect. Thus the only other way to implement MU is to have him/her hooded and voiceless, as in the Awakening opening CG, which rather kills the character.

Then we have Lucina. Awakening may not be old enough for her spoiler-ish identity to be free game by the time SSB4 releases, which casts a little doubt on whether she'll be included. It's possible that she'll appear as "Masked Marth," but then I hardly see the need in that case, as it would make much more sense to have Marth himself playable with a masked skin option.

Another possibility is that Fire Emblem gets a niche like Star Fox did when Wolf got into Brawl, so that Chrom, Marth and Lucina all get into SSB4. That's certainly my ideal scenario.

Well, there's the guest character issue I brought up that a reasonable exception to "swapping out characters" not being a good idea. I mean, it'd be quite ridiculous if Spawn and Yoda became regulars to every Soul Calibur after the one they first debuted in and Bad Box Art Megaman became a staple to Street Fighter.

I wasn't taking guest characters into consideration since they are guest characters.

EDIT: About Lucina getting in, and the spoiler: Well...there's the fact that she's on the Book of Iris cover, holding the mask, and she's on the OST cover. Not to mention, her being "Marth" is a pretty well known spoiler anyway, so I still think she's a possibility.

Edited by Dark Legend Vampire

I personally think that both Marth and Ike will be kept for all future installments of the Super Smash Bros. series. I think once they keep a character in the roster for multiple games, then they're pretty much guaranteed a permanent spot on the roster. I know that hasn't happened with Ike (or anyone else who first appeared in Brawl) but I think Ike will be kept. As for Fire Emblem newcomers? I personally hope Fire Emblem gets two new representatives, making four total. Yeah, wishful thinking, but still. I hope they add Lyn to the roster, and I think Chrom is pretty much guaranteed.

I agree with Fire Emblem fan. There's also the fact that unlike Roy, Ike was made a default character and they've never been removed entirely. I'd rather have Ephraim or Hector than Lyn though, for some uniqueness in the FE representatives. If Marth, Ike, and Chrom are all in, that's three sword guys. There's no reason a lancer like Ephraim or axe dude like Hector can't be thrown in so not all the FE guys are sword wielders.

But what I DO want them to do with Ike is give him his RD model with his PoR outfits and Awakening outfit as alternate costumes. RD Ike is the most recent Ike (his Awakening incarnation is just a spirit and not technically the real Ike), so yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

I want Ephraim in as a playable character too, but I think it'd be pretty cool if they made him and Eirika a team, and they could switch out just like how the Pokemon Trainer switches out the Pokemon. And I'm a bit biased towards Lyn since she's my favorite Fire Emblem character...

Gah I really hope Chrom doesn't replace Ike. He doesn't deserve it. (I'd be fine with him joining if Marth and Ike stay) Anyways I'd be fine with just Marth and Ike staying in, but Roy coming back as either his own character (not a clone) or an alternate costume for Marth or Ike would be cool.

Edited by Zelos