New Thracia 776 translation

js394

So this is an effort to create a better translation patch for Fire Emblem: Thracia 776.

Some Background

Currently, 2 patches exist, but both incomplete. The first, by Luxifer Angel, only translates menus, except for item descriptions. The second, and the one this patch was previously based off of, is by Shaya. Right now this is the definitive patch for FE5, translating all dialogue, but leaving almost all menus in cavespeak left over from the replaced font. And I'm not going to even start with the bugs, much less the actual script (if you'd even call it that). Although, the patch was never completed, so it's not fair to hold it to the standards of a finished translation patch.

This patch will be from scratch, not from one of the current patches. The reason for this is that I'll be replacing the script with a new one anyways, and MP2E is in the process of creating Resire, a program to dump and insert text for FE4 and FE5. This will automate things like pointers so there will be no problem with starting over. I also don't know how to fix the bugs in the current patch, so it's better off this way.

We will be using official NoA names. Let me repeat: We will be using official NoA names. That's it, nothing will change our mind. When the patch is done you can just use Resire to change the names to what ever you want anyways. For the other names without official localizations we will use our best judgement and sometimes ask here for your opinions.

Update - 8/30/14

Okay, so here's my final patch. Keep in mind that the menus are only translated, no dialogue.
The dialogue, terrain names, and item descriptions have not been touched. These will be translated when Resire is released by MP2E with support for FE5.
As many of you know, there is an issue with the status labels in the menus. These are compressed and are difficult to edit. I originally used code from the old menu patch for these, but this caused glitches so just I based this patch off of the old one.
The convoy is messy, but it is understandable. The text in it is compressed just like the status labels, so I can't edit it. (Trust me, SEEK and PEEK were not my choice.)
The armory, however, is not compressed. I've attempted to translate it by just editing it in a hex editor but it's still glitchy. This will be fixed when Resire is released.
All of the official names are used. For the rest I just left what was in the old patch. Again, when Resire is released and the script is being rewritten we can discuss names. Of course if you notice anything that doesn't use the official name please let me know and I can fix it.
So, yeah I guess I'm done. I believe either gringe or bookofholsety will be rewriting the script, probably after FE4 is done.

Download (Updated 8/31/14)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NCZqQvvtwfYjZHVWk4amZLSzg/edit?usp=sharing

Original Patch (broken download)

Current Patch-

-translates movie that plays if you wait at title screen

-translates Config screen

-translates armory

-updates most character names

*Please note this has many bugs and is still a beta

Download- http://rarezelda.webs.com/fe5.ips

(apply to unmodified original japanese rom)

Edited by joesteve1914

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: I was Ninja'd.. Welp.

Sety -> Ced

Othin -> Orsin

Dagda -> Dagdar

Cyas -> Saias

Leidrick -> Raydrik

Salem
Olwen
Eyvel

Mareeta

Those 4 stayed the same.

Lenster -> Leonster

Those are the only changes I remember currently in regards to Thracia.

Oh! Holsety -> Forseti

Pugi -> Orsin's Hatchet if FE13 is to go by. But I'd say you could get away with keeping it Pugi

Edited by Jedi

Yeah now I'm REALLY pumped. OP, maybe glance through the FE4 translation thread and see the changes being made there, try to keep the changes identical for both games, that'd be superb. (Exmple: Horse/Knight/Wingslayers.)

Pugi -> Orsin's Hatchet if FE13 is to go by.

Please. Don't.

Edited by Klok

My thought on Pugi is, in FEA they localized Reginlief (The FE8 name) to Ephraims Lance. Clearly this was just a way of making the lance his. Therefore, the same should be thought of Pugi/Orsin's Axe.

All right! You're the best, joesteve! ^^

I don't know any of the technical stuff you need, unfortunately. If you went to the romhacking.net forums, I'm sure they'd be able to help you.

My thought on Pugi is, in FEA they localized Reginlief (The FE8 name) to Ephraims Lance. Clearly this was just a way of making the lance his. Therefore, the same should be thought of Pugi/Orsin's Axe.

Yes, that's what my opinion on that is, and I'll just keep "Pugi" for it.

Yeah now I'm REALLY pumped. OP, maybe glance through the FE4 translation thread and see the changes being made there, try to keep the changes identical for both games, that'd be superb. (Exmple: Horse/Knight/Wingslayers.)

Good idea, I'll look through that thread.

Klok, in the japanese version it wasn't Reginlief, it was Ephraims BraveLance.

it also wasn't Pugi in japanese awakening. So you could probably leave that is.

Klok, please do your research or ask someone who actually has the Japanese game before making assumptions about it.

There was nothing localized. It was a literal translation, leaving out the "brave" with the other "past FE hero weapon" titles.

エフラムの勇槍

It might be Reginlief when you look at the 3D model... but it sure as hell wasn't "localized" as Ephraim's Lance. It was that to begin with.

EphraimnoYuyari.png

Ignoring that, I agree with Klok's "goal to point out despite the error in his logical progression" of keeping the weapon name to Pugi.

if it ends up that Pugi really absolutely 10000% has to be changed (it doesn't but bear with me), it may be advisable to rename it based on the pun (which i think is) in its name. my current hypothesis is that the name Pugi is derived from the English "pugilist", so i guess if it has to be renamed it could be done so to invoke scrappy fist-fighting in a somewhat clearer manner?

idk i'm wordvomiting here just leave it as Pugi

Whoa everyone jump on klok now.

97595aafbecc4d542de68d3160dac816.png

Huh wow look at that, Reginleif and Siegmund, the two weapons that Ephraim wielded. In FEA he doesn't have either of these and instead has "Ephraims Lance", which I assumed was a way of saying "This is his prf weapon because it has his name on it. You people are too stupid to connect Reginleif or Siegmund to being weapons wielded by Ephraim, so we'll make it super obvious by calling it Ephraims Lance."

Meanwhile, the Wolf Beil doesn't exist in FEA, but Hector's Axe does! (Also Wolf Berg, but that's not even for Hector that's for Walhart).

Pretty clear that everyone missed my point so whatever.

Edited by Klok

Well, it's Japanese name, プージ, translates to Puji, so I think I will either use Puji or keep it Pugi. Which one do you think sounds better?

Cool, I like this.

FE5 is one of the games I used to hack, but I doubt any of my knowledge will be use. Plus I sadly don't know ASM or any fancy tricks ^^;;;

Thanks Vincent! Also, would it be alright if I used the translated script on Serenes Forest?

OK guys, I've decided I will just keep Pugi. Please don't try to convince me to change it, I don't want this to turn into the next Vergil.

Edited by joesteve1914

Thanks Vincent! Also, would it be alright if I used the translated script on Serenes Forest?

Sure, I think Firelizard would have liked his script to be put to good use ^^

Actually that reminds me... did the previous patch use crazy names for Ciledia for Silesia/Silesse or did Shaya change those?

Also, I seem to recall Ishtar is incorrectly referred to as a queen in the script, when she should be a princess. So if you see that mistake in the patch, please change it X D

Actually that reminds me... did the previous patch use crazy names for Ciledia for Silesia/Silesse or did Shaya change those?

Also, I seem to recall Ishtar is incorrectly referred to as a queen in the script, when she should be a princess. So if you see that mistake in the patch, please change it X D

the patch itself used "Ciledia" and "Freeji" for Silesse and Freege, though in the latter case if i recall correctly, it was rather inconsistent and both Freege and Freeji cropped up at times. another unusual name used in the patch (i think it's also in the online script) is "Conort" for Conote

i know i'm beginning to sound like a broken record on this sort of thing lately, but i'll gladly run through the script, correct any errors and unusual names and, with a bit of direction, format it into whatever style the text insertion utility requires for this patch. next week i'll have the time and a stupid amount of patience

Another thing, Shaya's patch(as does the on-site translation) used Yungvi as opposed to Jungby. Making it Jungby would be good to be consistent with the FE4 patch.

I can't offer anything but being a playtester, sadly.

Edited by PKLucas531

I was just looking through the rom to see if maybe I could figure out where the garbage text comes from in Shaya's patch, and well

o3zvb.jpg

It's actually editable.

So I think for now on I'll base my patch off of Shaya's because it'll be faster that way now that I can fix the garbage text. Is there any translations of the armorer script?

OK guys, I've decided I will just keep Pugi. Please don't try to convince me to change it, I don't want this to turn into the next Vergil.

No worries. I was just making a mere suggestion if you wanted to go with Orsin's Hatchet to do so. But I like Pugi more anyways, it was just a stupid suggestion to get some discussion going really.

This is totally awesome.

Just a quick question though, I'm not sure if this is relevant to what you're doing, but are you going to be doing anything about the gibberish translations on character screens, item descriptions, etc?