Rate the unit day 20: Nowi

Randa

Thank you everyone day three has closed and day four is ow open.

Frederick is the Jeigan or Oifey or whatever you wanna call him. He starts really over powered but poor growths limit him as the game goes. However second seals make him capable of actually being somewhat useful in end game.

Pros:

Okay growths

Great double bonuses early on

Vey helpful in the early game

Okay class set

Good weapon levels

So-so as a farther

Cons:

Loses steam around chapter twelve or so

Ppoor bases

All in a bit like Seth or Titania but had second seals to help him even more.

8/10 no bias

Edited by Randa

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? Screw it I'm doing this (and giving him a much lower rating than anyone else.)

So Frederick will start out getting roughly 30 EXP in three kills, this is the same amount as everyon eelse is getting in one kill. That makes him level up much slower than the rest of your team. When he levels he has okay growths but him leveling doesn't happen as much as most other units so his higher bases will quickly be caught up to.

You could give Frederick favoritism and level him as fast or nearly as fast as other units on your team but this causes some dilemmas.

1. For him to justify all that favoritism he needs to be using twice or three times as well as the people he's taking it from (Which can include people like; Panne, Sully, Stahl, MU, Chrom, etc.). Sadly he doesn't, other people will typically have slightly better growths than him so he's using it arguably worse.

2. He needs speed, in order to double he needs to take Sumia (Cordelia can also work but it has an opportunity cost because Cordelia has better options) (Sully can sufice if his speed gets blessed) while this is optimal for Sumia you can't assume Sumia will be in play.

So he has trouble doubling, doesn't make up for it with amazing other stats and leveling him at a decent pace requires resources he doesn't deserve.

All of this said he's a great pair up bot and is among your best units until others start to hold their own.

4/10

Inb4peoplehatingonmyscore

Edited by bearclaw13

Just read my Sig and vote 10/10.

/topic

(loljoking)

Pros:

Frederick Emblem

Solos HM

Free Pair Fodder? In my Awakening?

Discipline to build up Weapon Rank

Weapon Rank of D Swords, B Lances, D Axes allow him to use 1-2 Range from the get go

Pair Up Slayer Weapon attacker

Can wield Hammer from the get go. Hell yes

Can MAYBE pass Luna and Dual Guard+ to his offspring because lolearlyLuna

Babied Sumia or Cordelia. Or Both

The fact that he supported Sumia and Chrom in the first place

Premium Manseed of Luna, DG+, Pavise, AND Aegis

Has Palladin as a Reclass Option

Cons:

Base stats are not too high, particularly notable for SPD and RES

Troll Valks

Actually falls down later in the game

Growth speed is abysmal, IIRC he gets like 10-ish EXP when promoted units generally get like 20-ish per kill

So, yeah Frederick is amazing. He can baby your fragile scrub(Read: Sumia) with Pair Up and make them amazing after not long. He falls off during mid game, during which he still stayed as one of your better pair up fodders thanks to Slayer Weapons and Discipline, and his playtime during the early game. He can tag ins during mid game when Sumia/Cordelia's durability did not make it, which is pretty cool.

Even in min maxing environment, he is one of few males who can do stuff because he has DG+, and Deliverer, and he is an ideal father for 3 Unit. Damn

A really good unit, and IMO the best Jeigan since FE6 Marcus

9/10

10/10 bias because while I did not like his training obsession, dude recited Sheeda's speech and blessed Avatar with his Veteran power. Also Frederick Emblem - Veteraning

Edited by JSND

Frederick is bro.

1HKOs nearly everything starting off for a while, and he'll only get better if you put him to use. He helps out Chrom a lot, he REALLY helps out Sumia (and she in turn helps him out, as well), and is overall a very solid unit. He's not as broken in this game as Seth was in FE8, Sigurd was in FE4 Gen I, etc., but he's still pretty awesome at what he does.

His only problem is that his bases aren't so high, and if he doesn't get good levels going into midgame, he'll start to fall behind. Pair Ups mend that problem, and maybe a reclass, but falling behind is what Frederick doesn't want.

9/10.

He starts off great, but his growth is very slow, so by the time you reach the later chapters he's kind of crappy compared to a handful of your other units imo.

7/10

Pros:

+Excellent earlygame unit

+Excellent earlygame Pair-up bonuses

+Easy access to Luna

+High skill ranks

Cons:

-Shakey Midgame

-Bad Lategame

-Extremely slow EXP gain

Frederick's potential shines the most during the early chapters, and therefore relies the most on what difficulty level it is. Since this is HM, his low EXP gain per kill is more noticeable here unless you're deliberately letting him kill everything. Your characters should quickly catch up to him, then surpass him without difficulty. After that, it's only a matter of time before Fred is pulled out of the limelight as promoted units start wrecking his shit. That said he does still make a strong pair-up buddy.

7/10

Frederick's bases are actually a bit low compared to other prepromotes. Other units catch up to him very quickly, and it won't take long before they surpass him. But Frederick's early game is still the best, and when he does start to fall off he can change to Paladin for a much needed speed boost. He also makes a good pair up partner.

7/10

Frederick starts off being tinked by enemies and OHKO'ing some with silver lance. What he doesn't OHKO, he ORKOs with a Chrom support because doubling. What's not to love? Discipline helps him get absurd weapon ranks really early and his base weapon ranks are already really good. His internal level is a bit problematic, but he still keeps up really well with the rest of the team provided he doesn't get screwed. He makes a great pair up partner to a lot of people, thanks to his +mov and def str boosts. Can take a Second Seal to reclass to Paladin to keep going. He will get Defender, which is a minor boost, but I find it helps him immensely to stay strong. His spd is actually not really a problem if he goes Paladin route, though he will have slight def issues, especially if his partner is Sumia. Best earlygame unit (avatar is at its weakest here and isnt rng proof once he gets going either), nice midgame unit and meh but fixable lategame. I'll rank him...

9/10

Starts off fantastic and is still pretty strong later on with appropriate exp. His speed does kind of hurt though, a little, its the only thing keeping him from a perfect score without bias.

9+1 = 10/10

Fredrick sucks. He falls off the earth and isn't even ness scary for earlygame.

4/10

Could you please give more detail? I agree with your main point but saying he isn't necessary is a stupid way to rank (MU isn't necessary but he's still the best character in the game). Also it's necessary not ness scary.

Also below poster should note that Frederick taking Chrom would be a bad idea.

Edited by bearclaw13

PROS

Totally helpful in early chapter

Good growth

Great support lists (Chrom!)

Pretty good class set

CONS

A pre-promote

Not so good base for level 21

I'd rate him 9/10 for Lunatic gameplay,

but if it's hard mode than 8/10.

Edited by Fairlee

Could you please give more detail? I agree with your main point but saying he isn't necessary is a stupid way to rank (MU isn't necessary but he's still the best character in the game). Also it's necessary not ness scary.

Also below poster should note that Frederick taking Chrom would be a bad idea.

He sucks and falls off the face of the earth, he's overhyped, has a a crappy exp gain and doesn't have great growths.

If this were lunatic, I'd give him a 10/10. But it's lolhard.

And I'm typing on a phone. Why are you correcting my typo?

I'm not really participating in this since I have my own character evaluation thread and whatnot (which I seriously need to update... I forgot about it again, argh), but I'm just coming into say that Frederick is only shaky/bad in the mid/lategame if you let him be that way. Use Second Seals on him to let him get more levels and he can be just as great as anyone. It takes a little time, but still. My Frederick is still OHKOing people and hardly getting scratched at chapter 16. And all I did was use one Second Seal and do a little grinding. His stats are currently higher than everyone else's, just about, but he's of a similar level or LOWER level than my other promoted units.

And I wasn't even actually trying for this, just to keep Frederick at least useful at all. I hardly thought he'd become so beastly. But I've got absolutely no complaint, of course. :3

Edited by Anacybele

Frederick

+ Helpful early on for getting enemy HP down, protecting others

+ Pretty good reclass options

- Can easily steal EXP from others unless doing DLC/grinding

- Gets hard to level up after a while

- Needs too much attention for little reward in the long run

4/10 minus my first bias because he's too hyped so he gets 3/10

Starts off fantastic and is still pretty strong later on with appropriate exp. His speed does kind of hurt though, a little, its the only thing keeping him from a perfect score without bias.

9+1 = 10/10

If only I could give him 11/10 to balance the crappy 4/10 ratings. Eh... bearclaw's is kind of funky too but.

Cordelia has other options

Cordelia does like Fredrick, too.

- Great Knight offers what Pegasi usually lack - Str and Def. The reverse for Pegasus Knight offering what GKs sometimes lack.

- His activation rate for his Dual Strike and Dual Guard is pretty solid.

Fredrick is far from terrible. Pairing him up with Sumia is so awesome it's almost broken for quite a while.

Edited by Colonel M

^Or perhaps a +speed Avatar? I might try that next playthrough, actually. ^^

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Naga's Tear would help Freddy Bear a lot too btw. I used it on him myself.

Edited by Anacybele

Even if you go Frederick + Sumia then Frederick + Cordelia - Chrom + Sumia it actually works quite well

The only other option for Cordy is like.... Stahl anyway

EDIt: SPD Avatar kinda need the proper class. The tactician is.... weird to say the least.

Morgan w/discipline or Luna seems pretty epic

Edited by JSND

Pros

+ Great starting stats

+ Great Pair up bonuses

+ Easily has the early game won and lasts far beyond it

+ Has growths on par with FE9!'s Titania if not better

+ Has some nice reclass options

Cons

- Speed could use some work but with tonic and pair up this isn't as much of a problem as it would be in another FE title

- If unlucky in the growths department he will fall behind

9/10 is my final score. I feel the same as Horace on this.

Mostly the way a Jagen should be, to be honest. Really good at the beginning, but inevitably falls off unless you really invest in him. Will still remain a good support bot, though, with a bonus Dual Guard+.

8/10

^Or perhaps a +speed Avatar? I might try that next playthrough, actually. ^^

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Naga's Tear would help Freddy Bear a lot too btw. I used it on him myself.

This is a terrible idea if you're using Frederick he wants a Pegasus or bust, because while his speed is his biggest flaw resistance is almost as bad. The only character with resistance worse than him (4 at level 1 promoted) is Vaike and lolVaike.

You can say that Paladin fixes his resistance but going to Paladin makes him lose one of his best assets; axes (Mainly hammers). Without axes his 1-2 range isn't as good as it was, he loses the ability to smash armored enemies both as the lead unit and as the supporter (which hurts when you consider his typical pair up partners). He also loses some of his greatness as a supporter, the people Frederick will typically support want strength and defense not speed!

But back to Fred x +speed MU (go laugh it off haters). MU doesn't fix his resistance and doesn't want the stats he gives nearly as much as several other units (Sumia, Cordelia, Sully) and MU needs a reclass to fix his speed and resistance. A second seal that prevents her getting Rally Spectrum and Ignis.

Eh... bearclaw's is kind of funky too.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Could you please explain?

Cordelia does like Vaike because Berserker offers a monstrous amount of Str, but it doesn't often solve another issue she has with Def.

If Vaike is getting Cordelia why is he getting a second seal? Cordelia doesn't need speed and Warrior!Vaike gives her 8 strength and 5 defense at A or S support if he got nothing but empty levels. Which isn't happening. Vaike does just as well as Frederick at supporting Cordelia and doesn't have to lose axes if he wants to fix his speed. (although switching Vaike to Hero or Berserker hurts Cordelia).

Edited by bearclaw13

Starts out great. Always has good weapon ranks due to discipline. Amazing pair up bot. Good class set.

Sure he grows slow but he can reclass to Wyvern knight after learning Luna to increase his Exp gain. And his pair up bonuses never fall off the same way that his stats might.
7.25/10