no Outrealm no grind final destination

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#1 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to my Lunatic+ playlog/guide/walkthrough. There are others like it, but this is the only one with a 16-bit animated GIF of a dog. This one has a lot of bulleted lists, so buckle your safety belts.

Purpose of this thread is to document a repeatable (to the extent possible) run of the game, that involves minimal resetting and heartache. It will use the following conditions:
  • Lunatic+, in all of its cheating glory.
  • Semi-Classic, meaning that we play Classic mode, and soft reset if a character unintentionally dies.
  • No Outrealm Gate, although it does make the game easier if you are struggling. I won't judge.
  • Stuff that's fine: Spotpass items, Bonus box, Renown (I will be using up to Large Bullion), Anna shops, and forging.
  • Stuff that I'll avoid: event tiles, Barracks (too random).
  • Turn counts are irrelevant. I'll be tracking them, but just for the lulz. I fully expect to have several 50+ Turn chapters, due to the constraints of training.
  • As for the details, the concept of this run is to complete the game largely with bow-using classes. Why bows? Because of Counter. One of the more hair-pulling aspects of Lunatic+ is the random chance that a map spawns full of enemies with Counter, and your strong units just kill themselves on Enemy Phase. Bows avoid this problem by simply being unable to retaliate at 1-range, making Counter a wasted skill slot for the enemy. The bow-using classes that we'll be seeing here:
    • Archer/Sniper: as the only class that can use Longbows, Archers are included for the ability to fight at 3-range. This allows you to counter enemy Longbow users, as well as kill off dangerous 2-range enemies without retaliation. Offers strong HIT, and Bowfaire.
    • Warrior: really strong, with decent SPD/DEF caps, and Axe access for special occasions where 1-2 range combat is safe. Offers Rally Strength, and Counter (more useful than you might think).
    • Assassin: weak general stats, but very fast, with Sword access. Offers Pass, which is extremely useful for positioning purposes. Lethality is not reliable, but occasionally helps.
    • Bow Knight: highly mobile, Sword secondary, eventually gives Bowbreaker (enemy archers have some of the highest HIT in the game, so this is actually important).
    • Bow Dark Mage: This is not actually a bow-using class, but since Mire also avoids Counter, I'll be training one of these units.
    The basic strategy for the run:
    • Use Player Phase offense to eliminate dangerous threats.
    • Rely on concrete defenses and high avoid to survive Enemy Phase (with the help of terrain, where possible).
    • Bow-users need to fight in groups, adjacent to each other, in order to benefit from added Support bonuses, be in range of things like Charm/Demoiselle, and to keep from getting boxed in (a lone archer can be surrounded, but two adjacent bow-users will always have a target and/or freedom of movement).
    • Units with Pass can operate independently to accomplish objectives (the nice advantage of the skill).
    • Hawkeye enemies, and especially Hawkeye/Luna+ ones, are the most dangerous threats and need to be prioritized.
    With the parameters and the classes laid out, it's time to put together the army. Since this thread doesn't have enough lists yet, let's make another one.

Female Avatar: the best overall unit in the game because of Veteran and class selection, Avatar is going to be female so that she can marry Chrom and produce the Family of Destruction. FemvatarxChrom ensures three units with Veteran, a four-way support setup, Morgan with Rightful King, etc. Expected class path will be Tactician -> Mercenary -> Bow Knight, ultimately ending with Sniper. DEF asset, SKL flaw.

Chrom: an overall mediocre unit, especially for this run (Cavalier is not particularly useful) but the need for a unit with Charm means that it's worth giving him training. He can be reclassed to Archer once he reaches Lord level 10, and eventually may promote to Bow Knight to regain Falchion access. Ultimately, if it gets that far, he's make a serviceable Great Knight in the support slot (purely for the base STR).

Lissa/Maribelle: since avoid-tanking is so important, the army really needs a Demoiselle unit. I'm unsure at the moment which one that I will go with, though I am leaning towards Lissa. Maribelle doesn't require a Second Seal and will hit Demo earlier, but is around for less time and isn't as good of a healer. Lissa also has a more useful son.

Gregor: starts as a level 10 Mercenary, with class set additions of Myrmidon and Barbarian. This gives Gregor access to all bow classes except Archer/Sniper, plus two strong +Avoid skills.

Morgan: the most powerful unit in the game, if for no other reason than that his stat caps are better than Avatar's, and he has male regular class access. As Chrom's son, he starts as a level 10 Tactician already primed with Veteran, so there are strong class paths available.

Lucina: see Morgan, except with a bit less flexibility. She shares the same stat caps, but starts as a Lord and gets Aether (which she already has access to), meaning you'll want to pass her Veteran. Has female class access that probably won't get used, lacks the ability to be a Fighter, but has Parallel Falchion, Charm, and Dual Strike+.

Frederick: no access to any of the bow-using classes, and his growth rate would exclude him from a permanent spot regardless, but he is invaluable as an early combatant and later support partner.

Henry: the best drop-in Mire user available. He doesn't have Armsthrift, but has good MAG and can immediately begin Mire-bombing upon recruitment. Henry also has potential for Nosferatu usage in the long-term, if it is needed. His SPD is not a problem unless it results in him getting doubled.

Alright, let's get this party started.
    Spoiler (PARTY TIME)

Spoiler (Prologue: The Verge of History)

Spoiler (Chapter 1: Unwelcome Change)

Spoiler (Chapter 2: Shepherds)

Spoiler (Chapter 3: Warrior Realm)

Spoiler (Chapter 4: Two Falchions)

Spoiler (Paralogue 1: Sickle to Sword)

Spoiler (Chapter 5: The Exalt and the King)

Spoiler (Paralogue 2: The Secret Seller)

Spoiler (Chapter 6: Foreseer)

Edited by Interceptor, 14 August 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#2 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Continued.

Spoiler (Chapter 7: Incursion)

Spoiler (Paralogue 3: A Strangled Peace)

Spoiler (Chapter 8: The Grimleal)

Spoiler (Chapter 9: Emmeryn)

Spoiler (Chapter 10: Renewal)

Spoiler (Chapter 11: Mad King Gangrel)

Spoiler (Paralogue 4: Anna the Merchant)

Spoiler (Chapter 12: The Seacomers)

Spoiler (Chapter 13: Of Sacred Blood)

Spoiler (Paralogue 12: Disowned by Time)

Spoiler (Chapter 14: Flames on the Blue)

Spoiler (Chapter 15: Smoldering Resistance)

Spoiler (Chapter 16: Naga's Voice)

Spoiler (Paralogue 14: Shadow in the Sands)

Spoiler (Chapter 17: Inexorable Death)

Spoiler (Chapter 18: Sibling Blades)

Spoiler (Chapter 19: The Conqueror)

Spoiler (Chapter 20: The Sword or the Knee)

Spoiler (Chapter 21: Five Gemstones)

Spoiler (Chapter 22: An Ill Presage)

Spoiler (Chapter 23: Invisible Ties)

Spoiler (Chapter 24: Awakening)

Spoiler (Chapter 25: To Slay a God)

Spoiler (Endgame: Grima)

Final Retrospective

Edited by Interceptor, 14 January 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#3 Vashiane

Vashiane

I'm in a committed relationship with a Chariot.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm no expert at Lunatic+... at all... but I'll definitely watch your playthrough for pointers.

The fact that you're training Cordelia as a Dark Mage is definitely something - good luck with that by the way. She requires a bit of RNG blessing to be useful, and even then Henry can outclass her in an instant. 

I'm a bit surprised you're not using Henry: he has access to Assassin and Warrior, and obviously, he's a Dark Mage. But I suppose using him would take the challenge out of it, wouldn't it? :)

Either way, I look forward to seeing this!

#4 Yuelia

Yuelia

熾天使

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

This sounds kinda interesting. I think I'm gonna try to actually follow this. (Though I'm not a particular fan of Bows.)

Though I'm (also) surprised about using Cordelia as a Dark Mage / Mire-spam.

Edited by Shirley, 22 May 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#5 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Cordelia is a half-serious inclusion; she is the only first-gen unit with both Armsthrift and Dark Mage access. I'm curious if it's worth anything at all. I noticed in my ad hoc run that there was frequently a distant enemy that I wanted to kill off or injure, and I had to rely on my Longbows for it (which is more difficult).

Strictly speaking, I could always use Severa instead. Plegia is easy enough that I could get away with delaying Mire, it would save me an early Second Seal. I'd just have to re-Seal her to Dark Mage immediately, and get Tomes to C. Her stats would be horrific in all likelihood, but for Mire we only care about MAG and hit rate for the most part.

Edited by Interceptor, 22 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#6 Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

I want to echo that Cordelia is a really bad mage because her magic is really bad. She starts with a whopping 3 base and ~20% growth until you can reclass her, then it's ~15% for a Merc, then it's still only ~30% as a Dark Mage. In my grind run, I tried her as a Dark Flier and even with the extra levels, her offense was just really bad. Note that Severa is going to pretty much be in the same boat with a slightly higher Mag growth (if SF listings are accurate) and base Mag (both assuming a mage father).

Even with a +Mag support and constant tonic supply, I doubt she'll be able to really keep up. Add in that Armsthrift won't be particularly reliable and you'll be burning through expensive Mires for barely any damage. I think the cash would be better off put toward more Longbows, which only cost 150 more and have 2.5 times the amount of uses.

For pair up partners, consider finding strong lance and axe users for your leading bow units. Beastkiller and Hammer dual attacks are really nasty and extremely helpful during the Valm arc (in a no grind, these and Brave weapons are the only ones I find worth forging).

#7 Miikaya

Miikaya

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sacrificing a lot of Mag for Armsthrift + forged Mire doesn't seem worth it to me. With Gregor's Despoil, I can't see you having any money problems. Using Henry instead with unforged Mire likely offers more punch without breaking the bank to any real extent.

#8 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Fair enough, I'll take Cordelia off the table. I guess that using Henry in her place is probably the best default Mire option. His SPD is irrelevant to me unless he's getting doubled, and Mire is not able to be forged anyway.

As an alternative, any thoughts on maybe Laurent (GregorxMiriel)? Mirel could theoretically do double-duty as the Demoiselle unit.

The cash profile of this squad is pretty good. In my test run, Avatar and Morgan were very easily hitting the 100% Armsthrift threshold (made even easier by the respective Chrom and Lucina supports), so they always had good weapons available (forged Longbow is especially good). Gregor's activation rate was serviceable, and with a Player Phase centric strategy, Despoil coughed up a lot of bullions.

Fred is going to be available as my primary "effective weapon bot" in the Support slot. I'm not sure who else might qualify. Gregor would be an option, but he's going to be a Lead unit. Libra and Cordelia will probably suffice for Axe/Lance duty, I guess.

Edited by Interceptor, 22 May 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#9 1% critted

1% critted

Miss twice at 99%, Get critted at 1%.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

YESSSSS.

Are you using Nosferatu?

#10 BAD

BAD

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

I will follow this as long as you don't use any DLC.  Everything else is fair game as long as I'm concerned.

#11 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

YESSSSS.

Are you using Nosferatu?

I'm not opposed to it, but Counter introduces some reliability problems. It's pretty easy for even Nosferatu users to kill themselves on Enemy Phase. At least it doesn't cost anything to add one if I have a Mire user.

I will follow this as long as you don't use any DLC.  Everything else is fair game as long as I'm concerned.

I don't think that DLC will be necessary for completion. It wasn't used on my first Lunatic+ run, which was sort of poorly planned, so for me to need it for this one I'd have to derp pretty hard.

EDIT: and by "DLC" I mean the Outrealm Gate. I'll be using the other Wireless features like Spotpass teams and Bonus Box.

Edited by Interceptor, 22 May 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#12 Soran Ibrahim

Soran Ibrahim

CHUCKLES

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

You can't forge Mire, as an aside.

#13 Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Fred is going to be available as my primary "effective weapon bot" in the Support slot. I'm not sure who else might qualify. Gregor would be an option, but he's going to be a Lead unit. Libra and Cordelia will probably suffice for Axe/Lance duty, I guess.

Chrom is pretty good at this as a Great Lord or Paladin, especially if you're going to be using Spotpass (yay, Armourslayers). Sully or Stahl could also be considerations for their access to Paladin and/or Great Knight. There's also Lon'qu or Panne as Wyvern Lords if you want to use more Second Seals.

#14 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'll keep all of those in mind. I'd like to avoid training too many Support units if I can, since things will get pretty ugly if my Lead units fall behind, so the best options will be the ones who are Good Enough™ at base.

Not sure what is going to happen with Chrom. I need to get him to level 10 for Charm, but after that, it doesn't matter what I do with him. If his stats are looking OK, I might even make him a Lead unit. Certainly I don't have a lot of potential earlygame units being trained aside from Avatar, so he is a good option to stash some EXP away. Maybe a second life as a triangle-controlling GK is the way to go.

Nice thing about effective weapons in this run, is that there isn't going to be huge pressure to kill quickly in the early Valm chapters. There's a narrow corridor to defend in Ch12, a ramp in Ch13, a plank in Ch14, and desert and a 2-wide entryway in Ch15. It only starts getting stupid in Ch16... I'm hoping that by that point, Morgan is good enough to shoulder some of the burden.

#15 1% critted

1% critted

Miss twice at 99%, Get critted at 1%.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Chrom+ Lucina is the way 2 go. He equips a rapier, and they get busy against Knights and Cavs. She needs a good mom though, but their dual attack rate is sky high, even at base support.

But if you want, you can give them other people (after CH.13), in case you want to have an easier time against Grima, with two Falchions, instead of one pair.

Edited by 1% critted, 22 May 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#16 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well, Chrom and Avatar are guaranteed S-rank support in this run. Lucina and Morgan are both going to have Veteran and pretty good base stats.

#17 Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'll keep all of those in mind. I'd like to avoid training too many Support units if I can, since things will get pretty ugly if my Lead units fall behind, so the best options will be the ones who are Good Enough™ at base.

Yeah, I figured since your team list is pretty small, you'd just be using one, maybe two of the four (I suggested as many to make sure marriages were covered and all that jazz). With an A or S support, I find support units can usually train themselves without needing to swap in for a kill steal very often (or even at all in some cases). Since WEXP is gained at the usual rate, what they lack in raw stats, they can make up for by wielding stronger weaponry. Generally speaking, I found most of the support units on my no-grind could still deal decent enough chip damage (enough to allow the lead to one-round) with silver against non-Generals (Armourslayers and Hammers came out here). A unit trained this way will probably only get to 15/10 (unless said support is the partner of a lead unit who is getting an abnormal amount of kills, which typically happens with my Chrom since he marries FeMU), so the cavs will likely be your best bet (Discipline probably doesn't hurt, especially since Spotpass can give you access to early steel and silver).

#18 Colonel M

Colonel M

The Tyrant - Has Returned

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Just to ask - I'm assuming Fredrick (eventually) and the Pegasi will be treated more like support batteries or?

#19 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Anyone who doesn't have a bow and good stats is probably going to wind up as a Support bot or bench-warmer.

#20 Colonel M

Colonel M

The Tyrant - Has Returned

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Anyone who doesn't have a bow and good stats is probably going to wind up as a Support bot or bench-warmer.

Or making babies, right?

Riiiiiiiight?

I mean Noire might actually be gold for you... as odd as that may sound.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: no Outrealm, no grind, final destination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users