Dual Strike is Blatantly OP.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Smogon'sLawnMower

Smogon'sLawnMower

Ironically ineffective against grass

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Many (me included) argue that in FE13 pair up is too overpowered, and I think the most imbalanced aspect of pairing up is dual strike. At first, it seems like a rare occasion, but after your units reach max supports it will activate almost every time. When both units are equipped with brave weapons, things become even more... chaotic. You can effectively perform 12 attacks in one turn! How to nerf this, you say? The supporting unit should only be able to attack once the attacking unit has finished ALL the attacks possible. Also, two of your units teaming up on one enemy seems too unfair. So, would you want dual strike to stay in the next FE?

Edited by DarkKnightHenry, 30 May 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#2 Metakirby

Metakirby

Night's Watch.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Why nerf it? That's a good feature, so this is ok. The only thing that would be awesome, would be the possibility for the ennemies to do the same as the players. ! ;)

#3 Only My Unit

Only My Unit

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Dual Strike is the mechanic of champions. Just give the enemies the ability to pair up. No nerfing required. Just jack up the stat cap or something if you wanna worry about everyone dying to fast.

#4 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

The Weeb of Time

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

It's the only way to get through Pavise+ and Aegis+, and most of the time, Counter.

You NEED it for Lunatic+ Mode.

Edited by shadowofchaos, 30 May 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#5 Red Fox of Fire

Red Fox of Fire

Hates it when people say "MU"

• Global Moderator

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

When people say Pair Up is too overpowered, I'm pretty sure Dual Strike is part of that.

#6 shadykid

shadykid

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

When people say Pair Up is too overpowered, I'm pretty sure Dual Strike is the main part of that.

fixed

the two attacks from a brave weapon should function like Aether, can't dual strike until after the second hit

#7 Meteor

Meteor

Guilty Me

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Personally I prefered the old system in terms of combat, but I much prefer building supports the FE:A way.

#8 Smogon'sLawnMower

Smogon'sLawnMower

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

the two attacks from a brave weapon should function like Aether, can't dual strike until after the second hit

Yeah, that would make more sense. 

#9 BrightBow

BrightBow

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Meh, the mechanic is just a massive pain.

It's activation rate is never high enough to rely on it and never so low that it can be ruled out.

Given the massive emphasis on defensive play in this installment, the latter is particularly annoying. It makes the game uncontrollable.

#10 shadykid

shadykid

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

It's activation rate is never high enough to rely on it and never so low that it can be ruled out.

Given the massive emphasis on defensive play in this installment, the latter is particularly annoying. It makes the game uncontrollable.

.....what?

#11 Tables

Tables

Aah! Maths!

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

.....what?

You act pretty surprised at that. Why do you think Sol is such a sought after skill? Why Nosferatanks and Manaketanks are two of the best character builds? Why defensive stats are valued more than offensive stats for pretty much the first time ever?

#12 Missile

Missile

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

This, there is just too much luck involved with that and the offensive skills ._.

#13 shadykid

shadykid

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

You act pretty surprised at that. Why do you think Sol is such a sought after skill? Why Nosferatanks and Manaketanks are two of the best character builds? Why defensive stats are valued more than offensive stats for pretty much the first time ever?

I don't know if you've noticed, but Sorcerors and Mercenaries aren't exactly ranked highly, and Rescue+Galeforce means later bosskill chapters don't even see an enemy phase

#14 Tables

Tables

Aah! Maths!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Only if you care about LTC, which most people don't.

#15 shadykid

shadykid

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Only if you care about LTC, which most people don't.

I hate to break it to you, but the same combo trivializes everything including Apotheosis, so it's just more offense

#16 Miikaya

Miikaya

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

You can simply Switch to the secondary character, unequip his or her weapon, and then switch back to avoid unwanted Dual Attacks.

#17 Interceptor

Interceptor

Wild Fang

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

... do people in this thread realize that you don't need to be Paired-up to get Dual Strike/Guards? They are separate mechanics. A unit's Support partner just gets priority for those things, if they exist.

#18 shadykid

shadykid

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

... do people in this thread realize that you don't need to be Paired-up to get Dual Strike/Guards? They are separate mechanics. A unit's Support partner just gets priority for those things, if they exist.

they almost always are though

#19 Smogon'sLawnMower

Smogon'sLawnMower

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

I'm pretty sure we are discussing dual strike here, not pair up.

#20 Tables

Tables

Aah! Maths!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I hate to break it to you, but the same combo trivializes everything including Apotheosis, so it's just more offense

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure Apotheosis is a rout, not a boss kill, and also requires slightly more powerful units than that. And the stuff I named requires less resources and preparation to work reliably - it can be pulled off a lot more efficiently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users