FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Very cool, tabachanker! I'm on a weekend trip right now so Ill test it out when I'm back at my computer.

There's a message for enemy thieves stealing items from player characters, but their AI doesn't appear to actually allow them to do it.

There's a brigand that will destroy the village in the very first chapter if left alone, so you could try that for now!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been too long since I last played this game, but what message appears when you use the berserk glitch to have an allied thief steal an enemy's dragonstone?

"Flame Stone stolen!"

(So I guess it's an AI issue with the thieves that were being tested on earlier?)

Edited by L95

Nice, I wasn't sure which line it would use.

Also...

06E8: Text "Exiting because no damage will be done.". I really don't know...

This sounds like a Link Arena or standard Arena line. From its relative position, I'd guess Link Arena.

Try having units with crazy defences and awful attack.

Edited by VincentASM

did a bit of research and the problem is that originally in japanese, that sniper and all of perceval's subordinates are called 騎士軍将隊, or "knight general's squad". i can see why someone along the line went with "cavalier" for this lot, missing the existence of this sniper, but alas the sniper does throw a relatively minor bone in the works. a simple fix would just be to give these subordinates "perceval's" as a name, or "perceval's unit" in the very unlikely event it fits; if it helps, the official gba releases do that all the time, with rath's subordinate npcs in his eliwood/hector mode reappearance being the first example which comes to mind

i'll see if i can do a bit of experimenting to identify some of those lines as well, tabachanker. the "no damage will be done" one in particular has me curious, and i think i'll try following up on vincent's suggestion there

major edit:
okay here we go the "do no damage" test

TEST #1: doing it in fe7 because why the hell not

my test subject was oswin, from a save i had sitting around. gamesharked him to cap def (30) and get his str down to 0, and threw a slim lance on him since that's the weakest weapon i could find. i then pitted the oswins against each other in the link arena, and lo and behold, three rounds of zero damage later and anna helpfully chimes in:

OrZarAs.png

there's our yeti of a message

TEST #2: doing it in fe6 v0.98

this time our test subject is wendy, again gamesharked for 30 def and 0 str. again, three turns later:

VJdUj5G.png

okay whoops this is actually a different message (one that still needs a bit of a fixup, but still phrased very differently... unless the other one is a forced-quit variant only used in multiplayer?). THIS DEMANDS FURTHER INVESTIGATION

TEST #3: maybe it's an in-game arena thing?

using the same test subject: a hacked wendy. since i happened to have the save for it handy, i'm using the chapter 13 arena

FosQ1az.png

my first test here ended in failure since wendy could still somehow do 8 damage to the enemy, a level 1 hero, who in turn could still do 14 damage. LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN with two more quick fixes

• bump wendy up to even more ridiculous def
  • bump her up to level 20 to hopefully summon an enemy with better def, since i forgot to do that in the first place

this didn't work out either for a while. sure, wendy is basically invincible now, but she's still dealing 7 damage to most enemies she encounters. eventually a general FINALLY came along with sufficient def with both sides now dealing 0 damage

E3PYyRr.png

unlike with the link arena, though, the battle kept going indefinitely past the three rounds. eventually the enemy general seems to have broken their silver lance since they stopped attacking, but it took a stupidly long while for wendy to break her iron lance, at which point...

nothing. the game just hung. it didn't crash; the music kept playing, the hp bar and arena crowd animations kept going normally, but they just stopped moving, and it didn't respond to attempts to quit by mashing b after that point. i guess we've reached a dead end here

oh well

Edited by bookofholsety

OK, back from my trip! (again...) I'll test out the new patch thoroughly and work on fixing up some of the reported stuff.

aquamarin: Eh, if I remember, I'll take a look. Even being told it's wrong, it doesn't seem too off to me. :P

Chad: Thanks for looking into so many things!

I wouldn't know how to change the first one. I'll make a note of it, though.

I don't think I'd even ever opened the "Solo" animation menu so I'll have to edit that.

The "Nintendo Presents" font is an intentional change and it would be a pain without any particular benefit to put it back in the old font. We'll see though. I want to edit that screen a little bit as it is.

The Affin icon is probably fine either way. Thanks for pointing it out though. :P

Thanks for pointing out the character screen differences. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

Although I want things to be as close as possible to FE7, I'm OK with some things here and there that don't line up completely perfectly.

Celice/L95: Since player thieves can steal when in berserk status, my best guess is that it was intentionally removed from enemy thieves to reduce frustration. Thieves in FE6 can steal items from anyone regardless of their speed, remember, and there are no highlighted green items enemies drop when you kill them. Just another aspect of the game that wasn't fully developed until FE7, I guess.

JDT0001: That's actually not a glitch, or even an oversight exactly (since I knowingly made the change). "Perceval's unit" didn't fit and I didn't want to abbreviate his name to make it "Perc's unit" and "Perceval's" seems off to me, so I just made it the generic "Cavalier." They're different from the other "Etruria" units so that doesn't quite fit. "Kn Gen's unit" probably won't fit either, and it's a pretty ugly abbreviation anyway. I guess I could change it to something that doesn't imply a certain unit, like "Chevalier"... I'll have to think about it.

bookofholsety: Thanks for the testing and prodding! I'll make the change to the FE6 message.

Edited by gringe

Hi there!

Another day... another patch! Here's what I've done in this one :

• Added the period (".") at the end of both messages "Stole an item." and "Got an item.". I did it without even using a new text offset. There was already a possibility in the code to write text directly in the message box without using a new text offset.
  • I realigned the word "Rng" in the weapons/staffs help bubble. Aligned in with the "Hit" label, like in FE7.
  • I tried to align correctly all the possible range stats (1, 1-2, 1-3, Mag, 3-10, etc.) But as Gringe said, moving them also affect the "Rng" stat written at the bottom of the screen. I think I did a good job though. I tested every possibilities (even "1-3", which wasn't even translated as it used the "1~3" original Japanese label). Every range aligns correctly with enough space between "Rng" and the range itself, on both the help bubble and the bottom panel. It's not exactly like FE7 though. At least, it's always right aligned with the "Hit" number below, which makes for a clean look.
  • Speaking of the ranges, I changed the hyphen ("-") for a longer one (same width as the numbers). This seems to be the one used in FE7. Exception: 3-10 and 3-15 ranges still use the smaller hyphen, since both did overlap the word "Rng" when using the longer one.
  • The original translators aligned the words and the stats in the help bubble by using extra spaces at the start of some words. I removed those and changed directly the numbers in the code that control their locations in the help bubble. It shouldn't change anything on screen, just that it's neater that way, and easier to change if we need to so some adjustments.
  • Still with the help bubble, I checked FE7 and the 3rd stats column (Wt & Crit) was a little more to the right than what was currently in FE6. I realigned those as well so that it is more like FE7.

The patch, as with the others before, should be applied on vanilla v0.98, as it includes the new elibe maps, the new message boxes and the new help bubble alignments.

Patch v0.98 + elibemaps + msgboxes + help.zip

Edited by tabachanker

If you still can't do it, no worries, I extracted all 5 bitmaps in PNG files and uploaded in this post alongside the new patch. Should save you some time!

i slacked off on it long enough, but here we are! i've whipped up the three necessary map graphic edits (global, ne, nw). not my best work, but certainly better than some of the editing that got into official localisations. they've all been run through usenti to keep the file size low (lower than the originals, apparently!) and i'm fairly confident they have the exact same palette settings as the originals. thanks again for all your help, and i apologise in advance if something goes wrong with implementing them

fe6 world maps 26-8-14.zip

Edited by bookofholsety

• On the Configuration screen, the Unit and Combat options are not properly aligned with each other, and "Detail" is still abbreviated as "Det".

Here's how to change the Combat options to be aligned with the unit ones:

• Change byte at offset $68AD04 to $97 (This is the Xpos in pixels for the 2nd combat option)
  • Change byte at offset $68AD0C to $BE (This is the Xpos in pixels for the 3rd combat option)

Man, I've had NO time the past few days to test or work on this at all. REAL busy with forced unpaid overtime at my job, and also my job sucks (too much forced unpaid overtime) so I'm looking for a new job.

Should hopefully have some time this weekend.

Wait a sec; forced, UNPAID overtime?!?! Don't they know who you are? Don't they know the good work you are doing here?

Alright lads, time to break out the pitchforks and torches, let's teach these slave-driving dastards a lesson!

Edited by Chad

Well, thanks for the thought. :P Unfortunately it's just something I've got to deal with until I find something better.

Anyway, it's the weekend now. I was able to make a lot of edits this morning. I can probably have v0.99 out sometime tomorrow. My basic plan from this point is for v0.99 to be basically complete, but since I don't expect it to be 100% perfect, I'll leave testing open for a month or two. I'll maintain a list of reported bugs, typos, and inconsistencies in the first post and release v1.0 when I feel comfortable with it. Post-1.0, unless there are major errors, I probably won't make edits to fix minor things like typos. Additional versions after 1.0 to fix glitches and inconsistencies in the original game aren't out of the question, but I feel like we have to stop somewhere.

Hello When i go to use IPSwin to patch it says that the IPS file is not valid patching aborted. I've tried renaming the files and opening them in VBA. any help would be greatly appreciated

Hey, I really respect all the good work you're doing on this! I played the old patch ages ago, and this might convince me to play again.

There is one thing that I'm curious about though: why is the patched file so huge?

The original file is some 8 MB, 4 MB zipped.

The patched file is some 17 MB, 5 MB zipped.

I'm just a bit curious why the file becomes so huge. (I think I tested this on v.97 though)