The Water Trick?

I was just wondering what the "water trick" is in FE:A. I heard it helps to grind the Avatar in Lunatic Mode. I just want to find out what it is because I am about to start my first run on it.

EDIT: Thanks for the help. Since I don't know who the mod is for this forum. I'l just request for this to be closed. Since you guys helped. :3

Edited by Game Over

The Avatar and Chrom are the only two people in the prologue that can walk on water tiles, the "water trick" is moving them out into the water and sniping at the enemies from there where they can't follow you or counterattack.

But now that you've mentioned this I'd also like to know something: which characters besides those two can walk on the water tiles as well?

Well, shit. Wish I knew this before I started my Lunatic run.

But nevermind, Chrom and my avatar are doing quite well for themselves so far regardless.

I was just wondering what the "water trick" is in FE:A. I heard it helps to grind the Avatar in Lunatic Mode. I just want to find out what it is because I am about to start my first run on it.

What Vashiane said. I stumbled onto this when doing my Lunatic+ run. Make sure that you Pair Lissa and Frederick with Avatar and Chrom respectively, since those two cannot traverse Water and this doesn't work unless everyone is un-targetable. Start it by standing in the Water just inside the top mage's range. Check guide in my sig for details. There are other chapters where this is useful.

But now that you've mentioned this I'd also like to know something: which characters besides those two can walk on the water tiles as well?

It's more class rather than character, because Avatar loses the ability to do it if you reclass into something like Mercenary. Foot unit types I've noticed that can do it, off the top of my head: Lord, Tactician, Dancer, Trickster. Undoubtedly there are a few more.

Well, since you asked...

Also Swordmaster, Hero, Assassin, Berserker, Warrior, Sniper, Manakete, Taguel, Dread Fighter, and Bride, and I think that's it (although I'm probably forgetting something).

None of the unpromoted classes I tested could cross the water (besides Tactician and Lord, of course, and not counting the special classes as unpromoted).

I did not test any mounted classes, as I've never seen any sort of non-flying mount crossing water, except on someone's back.

Oh, I did not test Villager, because I have yet to recruit Donnel in this file.

I know that in the GBA FEs, Lords and SMs and a few other units could also do it, so it's not new or anything...

Anyways...this is a very handy trick. I had to clear out the entire bottom half of the map before I could position Avatar and Chrom in the water, and I kinda assume that's the norm, but I wouldn't know for sure. Certainly helped bring my +Spd Avatar "up to speed" on Lunatic+, and I was able to survive the earlygame well enough (although if it wasn't a main, I'd have gone +Def).

[spoiler=Characters who cannot cross water]

It's more class rather than character, because Avatar loses the ability to do it if you reclass into something like Mercenary.

Maybe someone I could make a list of characters who will never be crossing water without a bridge of some sort?

Well, here we go:

So far there's Miriel, Libra, and that's it.

If we ignore flying classes, we get those two, plus Lissa, Sumia, Maribelle, Cherche, Walhart (I did not actually test Conqueror, but it's a mounted class), Emmeryn, and Aversa.

Edited by Euklyd