烈火の剣ifの原作キャラがありますが、私たちのグラフィックを認可なしで使いました。

4Njmdve.gif106rM7W.gifEQlDdLa.gifDKsXKKc.gif

今でも、そう続けています。例えば、最近このスレでもう一つのグラフィック認可なしで使いました。
烈火の剣ifの原作のアリスにそのグラフィクスを使いました。

日本語が下手ですが、それは英語でtheft・・・盗難ということでしょう?

私たちの不安、ご理解してください。

English:
To the creators of FE7if (Rekkaif),

If you are able to contact us in English, please do so.
We of the English Fire Emblem community feel that we have been wronged.

While FE7if has its original characters, the graphics of those original characters uses our graphics without our permission.

Even now, we have noticed that has continued. For example、recently, another picture from this thread was used without permission.
It was used for the FE7if character Alice.

While I still have much to learn in speaking Japanese, this seems to, as we call it in English, "theft".

Please understand our concerns.

original post:

of course, we've known about this sprite theft for quite some time, but a recent update that I caught (september 7, 2013) shows them using a blatant recolour of Origin of Creation's Bonnie

you can see on other pages that Blackavar's Ishtar (original) and Linoan have been spliced from (and edited, how dare they!!!)

in addition to that, Vampire Elf's Cybil has been ripped, too, except it's been turned into a shitty version or something like that

also (once again) Origin of Creation's Alexis has been turned into some crappy recolour/splice

There doesn't appear to be any legitimate ways to contact the creator(s) and it's definitely still an active project since the guy(s) basically jumped on the chance to steal a sprite that remotely matched his character's description.

My hope is that they will see this and remove our work from their hack, since they have absolutely no permission to use it

peace out guys

edit: thanks to rey for providing a non-crappy japanese post and gifs

EDIT: it should be noted that the creators of FE7if include some of the artist credits in their READMEs

this does not make their theft excusable

it does, however, indicate that they know full well who made them

CURRENT STATUS: it seems that a lot of them are crying foul, with arguments very similar to those presented here.

Of note is the "but you're hackers, so you're all thieves" argument (interesting, right?)

Edited by Agro

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be the first time I've seen "please don't use my sprites without permission!" attempted to be enforced in 10 years. Wow.

I've seen sprites here taken without permission from Nintendo and other resources. Don't be hypocrites guys.

Even if we weren't to address the heavily-edited splices, there's still the issue of the full custom mugs by Blackavar and Vamp.

I'm not even going to bother getting into this, though, because every time it happens, it always ends up the same fucking way.

I don't know much about this, but aren't things like sprites for public use unless you have a copyright on it?

And will something particularly bad happen even if they did/do steal them?

I mean, I wouldn't like it if someone else took credit for what I did, but still... it's on the Internet... on a public forum...

Edited by Fruit Ninja

It is something to note, however, to cry wolf over their reusing of sprites, when several members here--including Agro--have no issue stealing and modifying copyrighted ROM data for their own purposes.

here we go

here we gooooooooooooooooooooooo

Saw this coming from a mile away. You know, I didn't want to bother anymore... at least until that part where a recent sprite was stolen.

But again, there's really no way to stop them. Anonymity and all. They don't care.

It is something to note, however, to cry wolf over their reusing of sprites, when several members here--including Agro--have no issue stealing and modifying copyrighted ROM data for their own purposes.

Man, what ever happened to "honor among thieves?"

Always gotta play contrarian, eh? I missed you, Serlis. Just because you're a ROM hacker (which you are) doesn't give you justification for stealing an artist's work. Nintendo hasn't sent us cease and desists (publicly they've even encouraged fan projects); these artists were not asked for permission, and I know that at least one of them is not okay with having their works ripped off. Think of this as the cease and desist, because this is the only way we've got of contacting them.

Always gotta play contrarian, eh? I missed you, Serlis. Just because you're a ROM hacker (which you are) doesn't give you justification for stealing an artist's work. Nintendo hasn't sent us cease and desists (publicly they've even encouraged fan projects); these artists were not asked for permission, and I know that at least one of them is not okay with having their works ripped off. Think of this as the cease and desist, because this is the only way we've got of contacting them.

To further this, there's also a few other differences:

1) There's a difference between making something from scratch and taking existing resources and editing them.

2) There's a difference between putting something up for free usage and making something expressly for a project (either yours or for someone else - regardless of whether you volunteered it, were asked nicely if you could make it, or were contracted to make it).

In the case of the latter, if Arch (for example), wants an entire set of hand-crafted-from-scratch weapon icons to reskin every single one of FE7's original ones from me and I make them expressly for him, then those aren't exactly fair game for the world to use. If I were to downsize FE10's entire iconset to GBA size so that people making hacks that might want to use them could, then that's different. That's a resource, not a "commission."

The problem here is that most of the stuff that they've used falls under the latter and not the former. The works were for personal projects, expressly for creators that requested work, for personal practice, or were posted with the notice that you must expressly get permission to use them since they were from the artist's personal files and were originally posted only for the purposes of critique.

This is not to say that I personally feel like anything can be done about this, since they obviously haven't bothered to attempt to contact any of the people who created the works. However, they have to be getting the works *somehow* as in the case of the most recent theft, Origin of Creation has only been officially posted on Cafe, here, and made viewable through its FEE3 video (which probably contained links back to here). Either they're getting it directly from here or someone's downloading it and uploading it without consent to another location where the creator(s) are getting their hands on it.

Edited by Lord Glenn

I have no part to play, as the issue stands without me. I don't know you, but you seem an ugly sort from the back, with glib points and gestures--please enjoy the ignore.

Nintendo is not okay with the theft of their intellectual property. That one is not prodded does not negate this.

Also, you should probably kanjify the message.

While you are going for the "confrontational" tone... you have the "I'm stupid" look with the hiragana.

And in all honestly I would have suggested the "confrontational" tone with polite speech.

Here's my take on it.

I suggest, for those projects affected by said theft, to post this in their respective threads.

日本語:

烈火の剣ifが作った日本人へ

できれば、英語で連絡してください。

英語を話すFEコミュニティ私たちは悪いことをさられたと思います。

烈火の剣ifの原作キャラがありますが、私たちのグラフィックを認可なしで使いました。

今でも、そう続けています。例えば、最近このスレでもう一つのグラフィック認可なしで使いました。

烈火の剣ifの原作のアリスにそのグラフィクスを使いました。

日本語が下手ですが、それは英語でtheft・・・盗難ということでしょう?

私たちの不安、ご理解してください。

English:

To the creators of FE7if (Rekkaif),

If you are able to contact us in English, please do so.

We of the English Fire Emblem community feel that we have been wronged.

While FE7if has its original characters, the graphics of those original characters uses our graphics without our permission.

Even now, we have noticed that has continued. For example、recently, another picture from this thread was used without permission.

It was used for the FE7if character Alice.

While I still have much to learn in speaking Japanese, this seems to be, as we call it in English, "theft".

Please understand our concerns.

Edited by shadowofchaos

i agree with rey on both counts

to expound: i think people are less willing to listen if you take a confrontational tone

but i don't think the japanese FE hacking community will listen anyway. i think the obvious thing to do here is to use their sprites and other resources without permission and wait for them to bitch about it.

Edited by dondon151

noooo now everyone knows how awful my japanese isssss

oh yeah, I was gonna try and dig that up but I couldn't find it

consider yourself SWAPPED!!!!

Edited by Agro

Well this definitely is not on, now i'm scared that people will use my mugs without my consent and I won't be able to do anything about, unless it's a sprite i don't necessarily care too much about, but e.g it's the main character in my hack for example, i wouldn't like it.

Plus i don't go around taking people's work, changing it and using it publicly, though if it's for private use, then thats okay.

Edited by SwiftStrike

1. If your mugs aren't made from mostly or complete scratch, then you've no right to have any qualms about this, due to the fact you're re-using Nintendo assets in your own splices.

2. Then there's the whole yadda-yadda about how the things you post are free domain unless otherwise specified, well, to each their own but there still is unspoken decency. You wouldn't go out and use someone's car without asking them, it's just courtesy.