2 1/2 hours in (not sure what to think)

minervyx

I'm a huge Advance Wars fan, took a leap of faith and got FE:A. I'm 2.5 hours in and I think I'm on chapter 11. I'm not sure how much I like this game. I think I like it, but I just don't understand the huge rave about it. I'm guessing (and I hope) that it gets better. I really don't want to be that kinda guy who says "What the hell? this isn't advance wars!!" but it really just doesn't appeal to me the way Advance Wars did (at least yet).

I'm totally alright with characters and story driving the game, but I'm not so sure how well it does either of these things yet.

From the story side of things, I'm far from hooked. It seems like a cliche war of races, fueled by the death and suffering of women. Nothing, so far, has been done particularly exceptional in terms of the story. Some characters are interesting, but the majority are one-notes. Delicate girly girls and brooding warriors, for example.

And then there's the mechanics that just feel odd.

For a game based on permanance, attacks are far too lethal. The game's difficulty is either way too easy or insanely hard. Level designs either have too narrow chokepoints or plain open fields. Lack of properties, farming, resources, etc. make the game feel a little empty.

Does this game get better and will there be enough changes to keep it exciting? Just how many more hours do I have to play until I get emotionally invested into the world?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

War of races? Did you pick a copy of Starcraft by mistake? :/

Maybe RPGs just aren't your thing. Not familiar with Advance Wars but I believe it's more tactical than RPG based.

Edited by Malebolganone

War of races? Did you pick a copy of Starcraft by mistake? :/

Maybe RPGs just aren't your thing. Not familiar with Advance Wars but I believe it's more tactical than RPG based.

But I love RPG's, I love character based games.

But how could this be a character-based RPG when the characters are mostly unappealing or one-dimensional and the writing is full of cliches.

But how could this be a character-based RPG when the characters are mostly unappealing or one-dimensional and the writing is full of cliches.

Honestly, I'd say both of those tend to be the case with FE in general. And given that FE games mostly have a cast ranging from 30 or so units to having a cast of something like 50 units, it's not like most of them can exactly be characterized well.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Insult FE13's story all you like, just don't insult FE7's.

Or FE10's.

Or Lyon. Lyon is great.

In short, FE13 has far from the best story in the series.

Insult FE13's story all you like, just don't insult FE7's.

Or FE10's.

Or Lyon. Lyon is great.

In short, FE13 has far from the best story in the series.

I think FE7's story was cliched too. And Lyon wasn't that great IMO.

All the characters are combinations of two cliches and the story is physically painful to read. The "strategy" part is completely terrible, but everyone ignores that because "my waifu is so pretty <3 <3". And the story only gets worse after chapter 13.

People like the game because they get attached to the terribly written characters and want to marry them irl or whatever.

Honestly, I'd say both of those tend to be the case with FE in general. And given that FE games mostly have a cast ranging from 30 or so units to having a cast of something like 50 units, it's not like most of them can exactly be characterized well.

But of course, none of this matters to the haters... :rolleyes:

I think FE7's story was cliched too. And Lyon wasn't that great IMO.

Yeah but at least the characters where more than anime cliches.

Also if you are very used to advanced wars and the way they are played it can be difficult to transition to FE. In advanced wars every unit is disposable(something I would like to see changed a little bit with the COs if they ever make another game) and the emphasis is more on the strategy of the player, with no true game breaking aspect(that I can remember). On the other hand FE is dependent on the players growing well and can very easily lose the tactical aspect that is present in advanced wars. It also has the matter of every unit being "important" and won't return if they die. Which can be a huge difference.

I can see why it has given you mixed feelings.

All the characters are combinations of two cliches and the story is physically painful to read. The "strategy" part is completely terrible, but everyone ignores that because "my waifu is so pretty <3 <3". And the story only gets worse after chapter 13.

People like the game because they get attached to the terribly written characters and want to marry them irl or whatever.

Though it's not the series best tale, I wouldn't call it painful... Just in need of improvement. It wasn't like a bad fanfic or something, it just doesn't stand up to the others.

And you know, some of us enjoy the strategy part, right? I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy the strategy.

^Not to mention the resource management isn't handled well in FE. It's mostly simple, you manage weapon usage (negated by Armsthrift) and experience. Awakening gives ways to grind so experience management doesn't mean a whole lot unless you contain yourself.

Also if you are very used to advanced wars and the way they are played it can be difficult to transition to FE. In advanced wars every unit is disposable(something I would like to see changed a little bit with the COs if they ever make another game) and the emphasis is more on the strategy of the player, with no true game breaking aspect(that I can remember). On the other hand FE is dependent on the players growing well and can very easily lose the tactical aspect that is present in advanced wars. It also has the matter of every unit being "important" and won't return if they die. Which can be a huge difference.

I haven't played an Advance Wars game, so I can't really answer that. Though I can agree that it can be hard to transition from FE to Advance Wars or vice versa.

What strategy? You mean pairing up some units, ending the player phase and then spamming start?

I could just as easily say the same for other FEs before Radiant Dawn (well, minus the pairing up and spamming start bit). Except some of the other FEs still threw unpromoted units at you lategame. Given, player units generally improve faster than enemy units, but still... look at FE7, for example. Even lategame, you're still seeing unpromoted units outnumber promoted units like 4 to 1 or something.

Edited by Levant Fortner

I could just as easily say the same for other FEs before Radiant Dawn (well, minus the pairing up and spamming start bit). Except some of the other FEs still threw unpromoted units at you lategame.

Then how come I beat awakening lunatic+ avatarless renownless grindless etc. in ~3 days and am struggling on FE12 hard 1?

Then how come I beat awakening lunatic+ avatarless renownless grindless etc. in ~3 days and am struggling on FE12 hard 1?

Becaus your bad at FE 12? Or more likely because you haven't found/reached the point where that MU can break the game.

>Comparing an extremely luck-based mode to a legitimate difficulty mode

I'd say there's something wrong with trying to compare a difficulty that's luck based to an extent we haven't seen before and likely won't see again to something like H1 in FE12... though the guy above me also has the right idea.

Edited by Levant Fortner

because you suck at strategy Edited by CT075

Lessee. . .

1. FE12's difficulty spikes midgame. Then it sort of calms down, before going back up later.

2. See that enemy hit rate? It's not a combination of "hit rate plus dual guard chance". . .it's just hit rate. Likewise, you're doing exactly as much damage as advertised, short of a crit.

3. FE13 Chapter 16 reinforcements have nothing on FE12 Chapter 12 reinforcements.

4. I like the item distribution in FE12 better, but that's just me.

tl;dr - If you don't like FE13, then why are you posting on these boards?

There just really isn't much strategy other than. Stay nearby your teammates, pick the right weapon.

Yes, the general consensus is "yes, compared to AW, you give up the tactical strategy, but what you get in return is story and characters.". But I find myself asking: where's the story and characters?!

The game essentially treats characters as disposable units (despite offering the pretense that it doesn't). Your characters can die with one swing of the axe (just as many enemy units can). And you have to meatshield your characters.

This game has gotten dozens of positive reviews (not one mixed or negative review) and a 90+ score on Metacritic. I'm just baffled how not one of them (not one) have spotted the flaws that I have.

I really hope it gets better. Right now I just feel like I wasted $40.

There just really isn't much strategy other than. Stay nearby your teammates, pick the right weapon.

Yes, the general consensus is "yes, compared to AW, you give up the tactical strategy, but what you get in return is story and characters.". But I find myself asking: where's the story and characters?!

The game essentially treats characters as disposable units (despite offering the pretense that it doesn't). Your characters can die with one swing of the axe (just as many enemy units can). And you have to meatshield your characters.

This game has gotten dozens of positive reviews (not one mixed or negative review) and a 90+ score on Metacritic. I'm just baffled how not one of them (not one) have spotted the flaws that I have.

I really hope it gets better. Right now I just feel like I wasted $40.

Opinion, opinion, opinion... I myself love the characters and the fact your characters are flimsy at the beginning makes you play more strategically.

Not everyone likes Game of Thrones, Harry Potter... And those are critically acclaimed series. Perhaps this game simply isn't your cup of tea, rather than being fundamentally bad.

Personally I think the story isn't an Oscar-winning script, but it entertains me. One flaw it has IMO is that everything happens too fast. One minute Emmeryn dies, the next you're already knocking at Gangrel's door to kill him. There's a lack of intermission text in there. Then again, people would complain that it has too much text if it had more text, so...

Edited by Malebolganone

"Yes, compared to AW, you give up the tactical strategy." Have you played Lunatic? The Apotheosis Secret path? Lunatic+? Yeah, I don't think so. Tell me that you lose the tactical strategy after that.