GBAFE Maps in Tiled format

SquareRootOfPi

Have you ever said to yourself: "Man, wouldn't it be pretty swell if I edited Night of Farewells to make it even more of a nuisance to play? Guess I should remake the map by hand in Tiled and include all 42 map changes."

eMXtjn6.png

No? Good, because that would be a ludicrous idea. Instead, download this package, which contains (nearly?) every GBA Fire Emblem map in Tiled's .tmx format, with map changes included. Every map is correctly formatted so it can be re-inserted into a GBA with little effort. I say "little effort" because it turns out certain maps in GBA have null tiles in their map changes.

Each map should be placed in the same folder as the tileset it uses, these tilesets can be found here.

At this point everything ripped should be correct, but if you find something wrong with one of the maps leave a note about it in this topic.

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

I'm pretty sure that the tileset included in the package found in the Tiled topic (the one you linked to) for Chapter 17 (Pirate Ship - FE7 Tileset 5B005C5D) is wrong. The version I downloaded (which was months if not years after that topic was made), has horizontal moving open water, despite the fact that Pirate Ship and the rest of the tileset require vertical moving open water - it's the 3x3 block of water tiles in the bottom right portion of the tileset.

I don't really have any use for any of the existing GBA maps (anything I ever need them for is references, which just requires a viewable image), so I don't know if your package already has this corrected or not, but I thought it worth noting.

Also, I know that the Mappy version of the tileset used in Linus' version of Four-Fanged Offense (it's one of the FE7 1000XXYY tilesets, so there might be an issue with all of them) has issues with not displaying all of the tiles [in general, though others aren't in the palettes that they should be]. (Do the different tilesets flag different palettes for different areas - i.e. one of the ones in this block makes the water/sand transition tiles work, but also makes the wood deck tiles not work? I mean in addition to the sand being bright cyan instead of yellow; almost like if it's Cycle 1, sand is visible tile but wood plank is a "garbage" tile.)

I don't think that the tilesets in question provided for Tiled have this problem, but I also want to make sure that the they work properly using all of the pieces if a map using them is inserted into the game. Since the Mappy ones are "goofy", it'd probably be helpful for hackers to make sure that they're actually able to use all of the tiles that the tileset is saying that they can...

Did I make any sense? (Even I'm not sure.)

Edited by Lord Glenn

Why would you do this to yourself.

What spell of insanity caused you to make this compilation?

That said, this is cool stuff.

I nearly made a NoF style chapter for one of markyjoe's ragefests, so this could be useful if I ever get round to making that idea I had.

So it turns out all the FE6 Tiled tilesets are messed up in the exact same way. A certain 3x3 block of tiles are all incorrect across every tileset.

The reason for this is that whoever extracted these tilesets did it by changing Chapter 1's map to a 32x32 map with every tile and then took snapshots (either from the game screen with layers turned off or through the map viewer); this strategy is a clever way of ripping the graphics from the ROM. The problem is that... Chapter 1 has a map change in the opening event. A 3x3 map change. So the tilesets were all ripped with said map change.

One of FE7's tilesets was also incorrectly ripped, a small section was misaligned, but otherwise the rest of FE7/FE8's tilesets were accurate where it mattered. In any case, the corrected tilesets can be downloaded here.

Also, I know that the Mappy version of the tileset used in Linus' version of Four-Fanged Offense (it's one of the FE7 1000XXYY tilesets, so there might be an issue with all of them) has issues with not displaying all of the tiles [in general, though others aren't in the palettes that they should be]. (Do the different tilesets flag different palettes for different areas - i.e. one of the ones in this block makes the water/sand transition tiles work, but also makes the wood deck tiles not work? I mean in addition to the sand being bright cyan instead of yellow; almost like if it's Cycle 1, sand is visible tile but wood plank is a "garbage" tile.)

All the tilesets involving ships have the same quirk that there isn't enough memory to store all the colors at once, so IS made multiple palettes to accomodate for whichever section of the tileset they need. So in the end there are multiple palettes for that particular tileset across all the games, and any map which uses such a tileset just "cleverly" avoids using tiles that clearly do not belong to the palette.

There's assuredly a more programmatic way to rip this data than whatever was done, too. I also have a feeling it's not much harder than creating the tools used for inserting maps was, which is to say "not very".

So it turns out all the FE6 Tiled tilesets are messed up in the exact same way. A certain 3x3 block of tiles are all incorrect across every tileset.

The reason for this is that whoever extracted these tilesets did it by changing Chapter 1's map to a 32x32 map with every tile and then took snapshots (either from the game screen with layers turned off or through the map viewer); this strategy is a clever way of ripping the graphics from the ROM. The problem is that... Chapter 1 has a map change in the opening event. A 3x3 map change. So the tilesets were all ripped with said map change.

One of FE7's tilesets was also incorrectly ripped, a small section was misaligned, but otherwise the rest of FE7/FE8's tilesets were accurate where it mattered. In any case, the corrected tilesets can be downloaded here.

All the tilesets involving ships have the same quirk that there isn't enough memory to store all the colors at once, so IS made multiple palettes to accomodate for whichever section of the tileset they need. So in the end there are multiple palettes for that particular tileset across all the games, and any map which uses such a tileset just "cleverly" avoids using tiles that clearly do not belong to the palette.

Well, I'm glad I was at least able to help out in some way. Thanks for the updated tilesets though! (Might want to get a staff member to add your updated tileset link to the topic that NL posted that you linked to in the first post, that way anyone who would go to download it would get the correct ones!)

As for the italicized portion, here's kinda what I was getting at:

Mappy Tileset

Tiled Tileset (unless it changed with your updated rips - I took the picture before downloading them)

Both of these are the same tileset type (I think I've got two very slightly different palettes though), but notice how in Mappy, the sand/water tiles have chunks of them missing on top of having the palette that is tailored towards using other types of tiles. (EDIT - Imported the same Mappy tileset as the Tiled one and the palette still seems slightly off and the chunks are still missing.) Whereas in the Tiled one, not only is the palette corrected, but the sand is fully usable. Is it just that whoever created the Mappy tileset created it wrong?

Edited by Lord Glenn

The graphics on the sand tiles seem to be the ones used for test tile animations, so it might have something to do with those? I don't know what could be causing that off the top of my head; someone would need to check how the tile animations interact with those particular tiles.