What Exactly Qualifies As Turtling?

Like...i see people going all "Well i dont turtle." or "Y U Turtling, bro?" And shizz.
So i got to thinking and was wondering just what exactly is turtling? Is it just taking way too long? Or is it just waiting for the enemy to come to you (kinda like real life shield walls)? When applied to FE, what is the turtling strategy?

Im really curious on what the community considers turtling.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play passively.

Block the gaps/openings and let the enemies attack first. Then in next player phase you can try to finish them off. And then heal your units, if they're hurt.

The problem: The more enemies could be killed in enemy phase, the more enemies could attack and kill you. If you're worried about this situation, disarm this unit and to try kill these enemies with range weapons.

Basically this:

Spartan_Phalanx_Large.jpg

Just leaving out heavy defense units in front and around, taking hold of a general area and letting people come to you instead of taking the offensive. It's pretty much the first idea that comes to mind when doing defense chapters if you don't feel like going for chests or killing the boss.

I guess it would be taking unnecessary precautions in how you move your units, like moving slowly to avoid danger where logically the problem could be solved more efficiently with the same net gain/loss. That's my definition I guess.

I guess it would be taking unnecessary precautions in how you move your units, like moving slowly to avoid danger where logically the problem could be solved more efficiently with the same net gain/loss. That's my definition I guess.

This, and covering less ground than you can and not gaining any advantage from it.

This is exactly what i mean by turtling. Thumbs up.

"Turtling" does have a sort of negative connotation to it, when playing defensively can sometimes be the smartest tactic. I suppose it's playing overly defensively.

Edited by Tryhard

Hmmm. "Turtling" isn't exactly what comes to mind when I think of FE, or strategy games in general. I always thought it applied much more to fighting games.

Turtling is not the best idea for long maps, but in defense maps I do turtle if only to maximize exp gains.

also in rd's 4-E-2 but that's a story for another time

Even in some defensive maps like FE10's 2-E and 3-13, i dont really turtle too much. 2-E has Haar, Mordy and Marcia doing lots of things and Elincia getting in on the action. 3-13 has Jill's Smashing Power Hour.

4-E-2 can be cleared in two turns. One turn for BK to attack and for someone to siege tome the fuck out of Levail. Another turn for finishing the BK off. Theres...no need to turtle that.

4-E-2 can be cleared in two turns. One turn for BK to attack and for someone to siege tome the fuck out of Levail. Another turn for finishing the BK off. Theres...no need to turtle that.

You take two turns in 4-E-2? It can be completed in one turn with the Hammer, filthy casual. :Haar:

I like the Wishblade, chumpy.

You can kill Levail on turn 1. Not that you'd want to, because you can easily replicate Wishblade's utility with a forged Javelin.

I don't think it's quite fair to say turtling entails unnecessary precautions. It's essentially a risk mitigation strategy. You can plow through chapters quickly, but you might sacrifice control over who gains experience in doing so, and increase your chances of an unlucky or unforeseen death. Turtling trades time for safety and control, or at least it does in Fire Emblem where the AI is easy to read and manipulate (if you're not obscenely overpowered anyways).

To elaborate on what people have said about playing defensively, I'd consider holding chokepoints with strong or defensive units a common means of turtling. In doing so you limit how many of your forces are exposed to enemy attack while still baiting enemies such that when your phase begins you can carefully pick off units you've lured forward without exposing yourself to enemy forces beyond the area you've safeguarded.

Alternatively it could be moving a strong unit into the range of one enemy unit, letting the enemy have a turn (in which the one enemy moves forward to attack), killing that unit, then bating another unit for the next turn. This takes a lot of turns but gives you more control than you would normally otherwise have.

I always think of Terrans in StarCraft when I think of turtling (I don't know about StarCraft II, but certainly in the original), but the dynamics there are a little different and I'm not sure trying to make it a discussion point would help much in this context.

Edited by Wist

Why would turtling be bad when you wanna keep your units alive in a game where death is permament.

Unless you're one of those of peeps who just needs to go fast and can't handle having to slow down