Sacred Contention: Klok's Redux

Klokinator

So I've posted a couple things here and there on the forums about this, but today I'll actually post the official topic!

I have a bunch of screenshots, so here they are.

bd6da052d9.pngc2d3f15e0c.png114ec73cd2.png

a9499428f0.png0cd2871db5.png0448cd8c5f.png

3b2cd4e936.png95d2a7f5ec.png8e9bca69a1.png

dc4309687f.pnga9710315b7.png49f9822e82.png

d1753fb6c6.pnga3f1ec01ad.png85c234f13c.png

This project is being developed in Yeti's FEXNA engine. My main goals are to recreate blazer's original mod, but on a bigger scale, represent character stats more accurately, add in more of an overall story narrative, and as a major upside, this will come as a pre-packaged open source game that anyone will be able to use and tweak around when FEXNA is publicaly released. (Whether my project or FEXNA is finished first is anyone's guess, but I AM making huge progress rapidly.)

At the time of this post, I still have a ton of work to do, but everything is progressing very smoothly, with zero bugs or errors of any kind. It's absurd how fast I'm building this compared to the monumental effort that Blazer undertook for his version. In any case, I have many more things to finish, including:

-Adding in over 90 class animations

-Adding in a bunch of class map sprites (At least two dozen still)

-Adding in character faces (Trivial actually, Yeti ripped all the faces in fexna format so this is pretty easy but it's a bit tedious so I'm putting it off)

-Finishing the huge number of events, which look like this: Example 1, Example 2, Example 3, and they take a while but are really easy otherwise.

-Altering the map a bit to allow for smoother player/enemy movement.

Finishing just those things will take a lot of time, not to mention adding a story and whatnot, but in the end it will be worth it. Everyone will get a great example game to work with, lots of comments in the events, every class from GBAFE plus a ton more additional classes donated by members of the community (Or used with permission) and every character plus their base stats and growths, meaning if you wanted to remake FE6/7/8, you'd have all the characters and their starting stats available and ready to use! I'm such a considerate guy.

Release date? No idea. I plan to finish Magvel player version first which will get a V 0.5 release, and then I'll tackle Elibe playable, which will be version 1.0.

So yeah. Ciao. I'll post more screenshots as I make progress.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is Hector so weak?

FE6 Hector. Also nobody on Elibe's side is finished, and FE8's side is currently at about the 70% mark. Yeti added some new event controls at my request today which should speed things up even more though, so that'll be great.

@Dandragon, I will include instructions on release.

I-Is that new pegasus knights?

It's really unnerving seeing the map sprites flipped around.

I'm curious to see how Dragon vs Demon King works.

I means, their battleground is massive. . .

Edited by Fateborn

They only move two tiles per turn, so it'd be really hard to make them face off.

However, this is why rescue staves were invented. You have I think 20% chance for a three use rescue stave to appear in the convoy at the start of the chapter.

Having 4 bards/dancers could have them move across the entire map in 1 turn :/ Then again they can't exactly do much lol

Also why does Eliwood have Maltet and not Durandal?

Edited by Haku

There's Eliwood FE6 and Eliwood FE7, obvs.

As for BB as optional team 3, I'll look into it.

OK so, new feature alert! Infinite repeat survival mode is now a thing! After you beat the Elibe Scum, you can replay the chapter again with your surviving units if you so choose, your weapons will still be degraded, and anyone dead from the previous round will still be dead for the new round. You can repeat over and over until you lose, and ideally I'll have a "rounds survived" counter visible somewhere.

Also, FE8 has some new allies who may be joining the fray occasionally. Who are they? You will have to wait and see.

New stuff! I completed... all the gameplay elements today! Seriously, yeti added in a new function for me and it sped up everything by a factor of ten.

1438ad064a3a3331ab7858da961b6cd9.png

FE6 units are now colored red, and FE7 units are now a sort of... grey... blue? Well, they're teams 2 and 4 now, and that's what matters!

a0db9bc5c955ad45b0d82ef1b519172d.png

8182861814823c09827aa1d2f8573a2a.png

Who could these mystery unit be?! Just kidding, it's a fexna glitch. Things like this are why it's not released yet and still needs work. This has to do with it forgetting how to find face palettes under certain conditions. Yeti already fixed it but I'm still screenshotting it for lols sake.

13e00ea12b8df179710bc04eed43fdd5.png

d697c16c9f65c63107c970c34e7ba7d1.png

Does this makes things clearer about the stat differences between the fe6/7 lords?

any possible ideas for when like a base skin of fexna will be sent out to the public anyway's?

nope for the billionth time I'm not involved with release dates I just hype it up because it's awesome and I want people to use it when it is released

Black mugs instead of their default actually make them sexier... for some reason.

Not that I'm gay or anything.

Edit: Just noticed... no Idoun.

0/10 would not play.

Edited by Fateborn

Idoun is there. Same area as fire dragon, just doesn't have map sprites/battle animation yet.

Did you really think I'd leave out the Mage Dragon from FE6 and yet include the Fire Dragon from FE7?

Also, this is a thing:

It has footage of Sacred Contention REdux (Pending title btw, gonna be using something better for release) so you can check out speed ingame. I actually uploaded at 60 FPS too so yay for improving video quality from my last FE7x upload.

Have you tried a battle sequence between idoun/fire dragon vs demon king?

Just to see how battle background function.

Because you never know what could happen.

Also, is the Lyon only going to be the possessed mug?

Edited by Fateborn

Mugs aren't finished. Battle animations don't even work ATM since I broke all of them when I changed every class to new slots. It's an easy but tedious fix I'll work on at the very last part. All I care about right now are map sprites and making map battles function, as well as balance.

mm kay, just wondering.

any real differences between purple and red or are the fundamentally the same?

Red and Purple are allied teams. If you look in the video, you may notice the difference between the two, but here's a hint.

04ce49dd8c.png

Not gonna lie, that Demon King portrait is 2spooky4me. I would keep as-is if you want this to be a horror.

Actually though, this looks like its coming along great. Can't wait to git my mits on this and FEXNA when they come out. I'd love to build a FE game, but I can't hack for shiz. Hopefully its just as easy as you imply it to be, once one gets the hang of it.

I can't hack for shit. FE7 Chaos Mode was all nightmare, FEDitor, and a little event editing on a small scale. I used HxD a couple times to repoint things, and I used GBAGE to insert a few map sprites, but otherwise it's a mostly nightmare hack. FEXNA is objectively 100x easier to pick up and use, and way more powerful and feature filled.

Anyway, new stuff!

e84d2f7d25.png

Yeti added new event commands to FEXNA at my request, so the top two characters (Franz and Forde) are using the new method of promotion, while Kyle uses the old method. You can see how much space I saved by switching to geico I saved 15% or more on my car insurance the new eventing method.

bc093e05e3.png

WAit, w-what is this?!

It's like you think I don't know this and haven't planned contingencies.

that's literally the same vibe i got from these sorts of posts. Could you be a little less presumptuous fateborn

I can't hack for shit. FE7 Chaos Mode was all nightmare, FEDitor, and a little event editing on a small scale. I used HxD a couple times to repoint things, and I used GBAGE to insert a few map sprites, but otherwise it's a mostly nightmare hack. FEXNA is objectively 100x easier to pick up and use, and way more powerful and feature filled.

Anyway, new stuff!

e84d2f7d25.png

Yeti added new event commands to FEXNA at my request, so the top two characters (Franz and Forde) are using the new method of promotion, while Kyle uses the old method. You can see how much space I saved by switching to geico I saved 15% or more on my car insurance the new eventing method.

the more you post here the more it makes me wanna tear into fexna and mess around with it.

bc093e05e3.png

WAit, w-what is this?!

random maps, or is something more sinister approach?

So I came up with a way to make the game more interesting and it involves AI manipulation. Let's see how it works in progress.

Assume that the player doesn't move out of their little starting section, like so.

074cd244cc.png

If they don't walk out past the bridges, the enemies will use a varying random AI that lets any enemy randomly get set to charge and attack AI, with whichever enemies charge being completely random.

Here's what the enemies that charge may look like on turn 5 if you don't go out past your gate:

Example 1

7ecd97809f.png

Example 2

3486466e9d.png

Example 3

1940d9bee4.png

The enemies trickle in, giving you more of a fighting chance, since you ARE outnumbered by more than 2 to 1. Now, I know what you're going to say.

"But Klok! We can just let the enemies trickle in forever and tank at the advantageous terrain!"

No, you can't. If you stay in the safety of your starting hole for a certain number of turns, something really, really nasty happens. If you only advance forward a bit and stay there for a certain number of turns, something nasty also happens. As long as you continually press forward every so often, the something won't happen though and you'll be safe. Also, as you get closer to the enemy main base, the chances for enemies to charge increases significantly based on how far you've progressed across the map. So as you get closer, the enemies charge more often and in greater numbers, and you avoid certain doom from that something happening.

This has been an update brought to you by Klok.