"I" ~ Because/Id (Purpose) Latin Lyrics

shadowofchaos

[spoiler=Old post]Se via vivi asa - Another way of living!

Arx sum iam his ex si est fortis soli sat - I can protect them, but I'm not strong enough alone

Te memor invindigo indicas la mis su familia - But as long as I can remember, you are family.

Vo vi a tan o va mi et va en meehto a mi volan va vi o mi desen vi et o mi ha - If you choose to ride with me, we shall bring life!

Aven aaa vuso meehto aavi aavi so mi a no hosen - I plead to the heavens, that we shall not face death!

Vis o san - (No translation provided I can't Latin to save my life.)

Thanks to this original post on tumblr by acupfullofsynthen so that I noticed.

The lyrics translations are by TehAssassin on this Youtube comment.

The last line was provided by paladin421 on this GameFAQs post.

Hey! paladin421 here. I never though this would actually become something published on youtube, but I have a major update on the lyrics for Id Purpose. It became something of a small side project for me, but I never thought of publishing it. Rock on that you did. I will post the lyrics and their "translation" below. The words are Latin, and they use the newer form of pronunciation (i.e. no "w" sound for v's etc.). The grammar is not proper for Latin, but it still makes sense in a simplified format. After hours of tuning my ear to the words and looking up words that might match the pronunciations that I heard, this is what I came up with:

---Original "words"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sevi avi a vivi asa,

et visi a vis insignis fortis soli sat!

Te memor, inveniam indicas quan ito via!

Sevi avi a vivi asa,

O virent! Tangunt! Va mi! Metant! En! Meto! Va! Mi volans! Va! Vi! O mi! Desen! Viet! O mi ha!

Averem a vul is oc! Meto! Avi, avi, tonui! Parato sint!

(background) O virent! Tangunt! Va mi! Metant! En! Meto! Va! Mi volans! Va! Vi! O mi! Desen! Viet! O mi ha!

(background) O virent! Tangunt! Va mi! Metant! En! Meto! Va! Mi volans! Va! Vi! O mi! Desen! Viet! O mi ha!

Averem a vul is oc! Meto! Avi! Avi! (Parato sint!)

Viso sang...

--"Translation"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without drawing out the syllables, there is the translation of the whole song, as best as I can

interpret.

The English seems to be:

"I have brought forth ancestors for the sake of vigorous refuge,"

"and visions from their mighty, outstanding strength, are enough alone!"

"You remembering, I will discover that you indicate which way to go!"

Skipping to "O virent..."

"Oh they flourish! They strike! My pain! They cut me down! Behold! I cut them down! Surprise! My soaring!

Joy! Power! Oh, my! Fading away! He twists! Oh my! Distress!"

Next "Averem...(long)"

"They want to settle the score! I cut them down! Ancestors, ancestors, resound like thunder!

Be prepared!"

Then "Averem...(short)"

"They want to settle the score! I cut them down! Ancestors! Ancestors! (Be prepared!)"

Lastly "Viso sang..."

"Having seen the cycle..."

Edited by shadowofchaos

But when you translate the words, they look so corny.

I'm willing to let it slide. This is definitely not too high on the list of corniest things I've heard, and I actually think the corn here is part of its charm. Extreme amounts of ham is awesome.

Sounds extra-corny if you see it from the Avatar's point of view

That's why it was originally "I". I'd is less obvious as I had to actually look it up.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Apologies for double posting, but it seems I have been corrected here.

[2:36:12 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): What language is it in

[2:36:34 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): I don't know, but I'm sure it isn't latin

[2:36:47 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): or perhaps it's some strange contamination of the latin language

[2:37:07 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): I'm sure of it, I've been studying and traducing latin for 6 years

[2:37:24 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): I'm pretty sure people just assumed it, just like I was.

[2:37:45 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): Are the FE theme lyrics in the Brawl Arrangement, Latin?

[2:38:21 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): not sure, I've never read the lyrics

And it's hard to recognise latin words by ear

[2:38:22 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): but

[2:38:28 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): the Brawl intro should be in "latin" too

[2:39:01 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): however, it's the same impure latin

[2:39:48 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): I don't think it's technically wrong to say it's latin, but, well, anybody who knows the real Latin language wouldn't think it the same way, haha

Edited by shadowofchaos

While the second and third period are somewhat in Latin, the others are far from it.

So is that to say that whoever wrote the lyrics was just really bad at Latin, or that the translation is (somewhat) solid but those aren't really the lyrics in the song?

It's actually really hard to understand the words, given the fact that there's music and the ones who are singing are a chorus.

Since pretty much all of the people that used Latin as their native language are decomposed under ruins of the Roman Empire, the only people that I think could this could write the lyrics in an understandable and correct ways are university professors of Latin.

It could be that the lyrics are wrong - which is perfectly understandable - or that people at IS don't know a word of Latin and they just guessed it.

[2:37:45 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): Are the FE theme lyrics in the Brawl Arrangement, Latin?

This translation is taken from the official site, where is confirmed that this is Latin.

Fire Emblem, companions walk

The endless path together.
In the wavering shadow of spite,
Our home is faced by the oncoming spear,
Engulfed in flames.
I keep that unforgettable day in my heart
And now rise up together with my companions.
Fire Emblem, our bond shall be never broken.
We hold fast to protect tomorrow
And the one who awaits our return.
Fire Emblem, light gathers on the flag we unfurl.
Fire Emblem, we gaze upon the multitude of stars,
Gripping our blades.
If we do not bring light to the darkness in these lands,
The shooting stars will soar over a wasteland.
Fire Emblem, on whom does the morning sun shine
As she climbs over the edge of battle?

Edited by Soen

Apologies for double posting, but it seems I have been corrected here.

[2:36:12 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): What language is it in

[2:36:34 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): I don't know, but I'm sure it isn't latin

[2:36:47 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): or perhaps it's some strange contamination of the latin language

[2:37:07 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): I'm sure of it, I've been studying and traducing latin for 6 years

[2:37:24 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): I'm pretty sure people just assumed it, just like I was.

[2:38:21 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): not sure, I've never read the lyrics

And it's hard to recognise latin words by ear

[2:38:22 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): but

[2:38:28 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): the Brawl intro should be in "latin" too

[2:39:01 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): however, it's the same impure latin

[2:39:48 PM] Alfred Kamon (SF): I don't think it's technically wrong to say it's latin, but, well, anybody who knows the real Latin language wouldn't think it the same way, haha

It's amazing that TehAssassin managed to translate it

Maybe it's just really badly spelled latin outside of the second and third lines but in my 6 years of studying latin never have i seen anything remotely like whatever's written in the rest of them

It's been 3 years since i've actually used latin though so i won't even attempt to do corrections if any are needed

Since pretty much all of the people that used Latin as their native language are decomposed under ruins of the Roman Empire, the only people that I think could this could write the lyrics in an understandable and correct ways are university professors of Latin.

This.

My first guess was that it was just a vaguely impure form of latin, created many centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire and their "pure" latin.

Just think about how different are the 15th century English and nowadays English despite being technically both "English" languages. I don't know much of the English language history though so don't take me too seriously on this. It's just an example.

In any case, even if the words of the first two lines are similar somehow to some Latin words, the sentence structure is completely wrong. And a translation wouldn't be possible without a fair amount of imagination. Which makes me wonder:

It's amazing that TehAssassin managed to translate it

How did he do that?

All I know is that it was going around on tumblr.

I did more research and found that the source was a Youtube comment on the music uploaded by GilvaSunner.

Now, it wasn't the most reliable source... but I did PM him about the last line (which was my main concern) and about it in general.

I had a video idea because I've been wanting to know what they've been singing for TWO AND A HALF YEARS.

This was one of the main threads that kept popping up in my search:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66887544

And a translation wouldn't be possible without a fair amount of imagination.

Imagination, huh?

Imagine if it was instead "If you come with me, we shall bring life" being a dirty joke in reference to the amount of S supports Robin can have.

tumblr_inline_nbk3ylGJtb1rb9mmp.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

All I know is that it was going around on tumblr.

I did more research and found that the source was a Youtube comment on the music uploaded by GilvaSunner.

Now, it wasn't the most reliable source... but I did PM him about the last line (which was my main concern) and about it in general.

I had a video idea because I've been wanting to know what they've been singing for TWO AND A HALF YEARS.

This was one of the main threads that kept popping up in my search:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66887544

Imagination, huh?

Imagine if it was instead "If you come with me, we shall bring life" being a dirty joke in reference to the amount of S supports Robin can have.

tumblr_inline_nbk3ylGJtb1rb9mmp.png

Hell, the version we do have still sounds pretty dirty.

Looks like we have an update...

This is paladin421. Please read my post in shadowofchaos725's discussion page. I have a major update on the lyrics. I kept working on it a few months ago but never posted it. See if you agree with what I came up with, and the "translation."

Commented on the video.

Hey! paladin421 here. I never though this would actually become something published on youtube, but I have a major update on the lyrics for Id Purpose. It became something of a small side project for me, but I never thought of publishing it. Rock on that you did. I will post the lyrics and their "translation" below. The words are Latin, and they use the newer form of pronunciation (i.e. no "w" sound for v's etc.). The grammar is not proper for Latin, but it still makes sense in a simplified format. After hours of tuning my ear to the words and looking up words that might match the pronunciations that I heard, this is what I came up with:

---Original "words"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sevi avi a vivi asa,

Sevi avi a vivi asa,

O virent! Tangunt! Va mi! Metant! En! Meto! Va! Mi volans! Va! Vi! O mi! Desen! Viet! O mi ha!

Viso sang...

--"Translation"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without drawing out the syllables, there is the translation of the whole song, as best as I can

interpret.

The English seems to be:

"I have brought forth ancestors for the sake of vigorous refuge,"

"and visions from their mighty, outstanding strength, are enough alone!"

"You remembering, I will discover that you indicate which way to go!"

Skipping to "O virent..."

"Oh they flourish! They strike! My pain! They cut me down! Behold! I cut them down! Surprise! My soaring!

Joy! Power! Oh, my! Fading away! He twists! Oh my! Distress!"

Next "Averem...(long)"

"They want to settle the score! I cut them down! Ancestors, ancestors, resound like thunder!

Be prepared!"

Then "Averem...(short)"

"They want to settle the score! I cut them down! Ancestors! Ancestors! (Be prepared!)"

Lastly "Viso sang..."

"Having seen the cycle..."

Looks like I'm going to have to redo the video.

...though the translation looks very... choppy in English.

Fire Emblem, companions walk

The endless path together.

In the wavering shadow of spite,

Our home is faced by the oncoming spear,

Engulfed in flames.

I keep that unforgettable day in my heart

And now rise up together with my companions.

Fire Emblem, our bond shall be never broken.

We hold fast to protect tomorrow

And the one who awaits our return.

Fire Emblem, light gathers on the flag we unfurl.

Fire Emblem, we gaze upon the multitude of stars,

Gripping our blades.

If we do not bring light to the darkness in these lands,

The shooting stars will soar over a wasteland.

Fire Emblem, on whom does the morning sun shine

As she climbs over the edge of battle?

I'd prefer it if it was more like the Brawl FE theme translation there.

Any input on the Latin people here?

At this point, I can say we can BS anything we'd like here and I can post it on a video.

And people will believe it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Ok, so we are looking at a massive amount of interjections in the female and male chorus of this song. I hoped to find a hidden meaning and extend the lyrics, but all past attempts failed. I am not a Latin major after all :-) The closest I got was that "averem vul is oc" lumped together does mean "so they want to settle the score..."

But what I am running into is interjection heaven. And other words don't seem to play nicely with interjections or allow a fluid sentence structure. It is probable that I have "misheard" some of the lyrics as well.

Anyone that wants to help with this, jump onboard! I am by all means not offended if you correct me. I will post what I have questions on below, and ask that you put your ears and minds to coming up with something better.

"O virent, tangunt! Va mi! Metant! En! Meto! Va! Mi volans! Va! Vi! O mi desen! Viet! O mi ha!"

"Oh they flourish, they strike! My pain! Behold, measured and cut down! Surprise! My soaring!
Joy! Power! Oh, my! Fading away! He twists! Oh my distress!"

Now I can see that it is in the middle of battle, and there is a possiblity that they are painting a scene of the 'back and forth' of battle using interjections. That is my current theory.

Latin tranlastion sites:

Latin Definitions for: (Latin Search) - Latin Dictionary and Grammar Resources - Latdict

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/latin

http://www.allverbs.com/language.php?id=9

google translate

By the sound of the music, the following phrases are paired in the song:

o virent tangunt

o - oh

virent - they flourish, vigorous

tangunt - they strike, strike

va mi (possibly va vi)

va - (exclamation of pain/dismay, of contempt/anger, of surprise/joy, ha, oh, ah)

mi - my, mine

metant en (in) meto

metant - they reap (cut down in battle)

en - behold!

in - in midst of

meto - i reap (cut down in battle)

so an alternate meaning of the phrase might be roughly, i cut down [among, in the midst] of their cutting down, or i reap in the midst of their reaping

va mi volans

va - (exclamation of pain/dismay, of contempt/anger, of surprise/joy, ha, oh, ah)

mi- my, mine

volans - soaring [active, present tense]

va vi

vi - power/strength

o mi desen viet o mi ha

o - oh!

mi - my, mine

desen - fading away

viet - he twists, weaves (I think they were aiming at "dodges" here)

o - oh!

mi - my, mine

ha - (distress/regret/pity, appeal/entreaty, surprise/joy, objection/contempt, ah)

Edited by paladin4212003

Currently experimenting with the verb fio [be prepared/done] in the men's chorus. 'Fit' is something I can see the men's chorus possibly saying instead of "vi", if the 't' is silent or less pronounced at the end of the verb....

Anyone know if this is a common attribute between Latin and French (silent 't' or 'ent' at end of verb)?

Also viet o mi ha.... vieto - i forbid, from vietā́re. nice possibility, but where does the 'mi' fit in?

I remember a friend that had Latin in high school said that a verb at the end of a sentence may modify the entire thought before it. In the case of the word 'ha', it could be that the entire thoughts before them are an entreaty or a plea. Thus, one could put "I plea" at the beginning of the lyrics for the male chorus.

"o mi dēsérere vieto mi ha".......... dēsérere - to give up, forskae, abandon, withdraw support. "I forbid giving up."

"O vir et ...." O hero and something....tangunt doesn't make as much since here if we go this route. O hero and company?

Will continue editing this as I come up with ideas. maybe I will succeed in cracking a longer bit of translation for the male chorus yet. Help appreciated!

Edited by paladin4212003

Sevi avi a vivi asa,

Sevi avi a vivi asa,

Viso sang...

The bolded line, and every time it repeats: I swear it starts with "Fire Emblem".

But I'm not too reliable; "Fire Emblem" might be stuck in my brain in the same way the underlined part sounds like "Cynthia, Cynthia". It's stuck. Can't unhear. >_>;

Forget that stuff. You can't translate latin with those.

Every single word has a specific meaning in a specific context. A translation site won't consider the context, nor the proper form of a word, so it'll just give you an approximate translation that 95% of the times is wrong / unclear.

That said, I do really appreciate all the effort you've put in this fan translation despite not knowing the language! :)

However...

(replies in bold)

By the sound of the music, the following phrases are paired in the song:

o virent tangunt

o - oh //only true when followed by a vocative noun

virent - they flourish, vigorous // doesn't make any sense

tangunt - they strike, strike // this is correct!

So:

O Vires Tangunt

O vires = Hey troops! ("o" is used when referring directly to someone/something. Vires is vocative so it matches)

Tangunt = (they=the enemies?) strike!

Hey troops, they strike!

va mi (possibly va vi)

va - (exclamation of pain/dismay, of contempt/anger, of surprise/joy, ha, oh, ah) Never heard of this tbh

mi - my, mine Uncorrect, it's "to me" / "for me" / a ton of other possible translations, but not "my / mine"

Perhaps "Vade" ? Would mean "Go!"

metant en (in) meto

metant - they reap (cut down in battle) accurate, but it's in future tense. "They'll kill/slay"

en - behold! ...you sure?

in - in midst of

meto - i reap (cut down in battle)

so an alternate meaning of the phrase might be roughly, i cut down [among, in the midst] of their cutting down, or i reap in the midst of their reaping

Metant impeto

Metant = They'll kill

impeto = with fury

They'll kill with fury.

va mi volans

mi- my, mine

volans - soaring [active, present tense]

Go! Flying! (referred to the Grima stage?)

va vi

vi - power/strength

Go!

o mi desen viet o mi ha

o - oh!

mi - my, mine

desen - fading away

viet - he twists, weaves (I think they were aiming at "dodges" here)

o - oh!

mi - my, mine

ha - (distress/regret/pity, appeal/entreaty, surprise/joy, objection/contempt, ah)

...And, honestly speaking, I'm quite done translating this already.

Man, your lyrics are really fantasious.

No offense, but I've listened to that song a billion times and I don't get a word of what they're saying. And I've studied latin for 6 years.

There are three possible scenarios:

A) This isn't latin

B) The chorus is singing it in a very distorted way

C) This isn't latin and the chorus is singing whatever language it is in a very distorted way

So, umh...

You should probably drop this. It's great to see the passion you've put in this, but you're creating some disinformation, man... These lyrics aren't in Latin and your translations are completely wrong.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

A rather major catch as i was looking through various words in the song.

insignis is definitely a word for emblem. i've been trying to throw every word around it into a word for fire now. it sounds like et visi a vis insignis fortis soli sat. tried fitting 'facis' right before ignis but it just doesn't sound right. well, as i read the one reply, it sounds like latin is impossible to translate via dictionary sites because of the rules of grammar. i'll keep kicking ideas around.

Edited by paladin4212003