Homepass troubles with new 3DS Update (9.0.0) and solution

shadowofchaos

I updated my Fire Emblem Japanese 3DS and my setup with MACycle using the Windows 7/8 hosted network to share my Wi-Fi stopped working for the past two days (I have two different computers each with Windows 7 and 8 with identical setups that worked before the update).

I've heard reports from people that their Nintendo Zones (actual ones) weren't being recognized. They just said "wait a while". Or I get conflicting information like "you can't Homepass people with firmware lower than 9.0" or "Nintendo Updated their MAC list on their servers" on GameFAQs and "it doesn't work with network security turned on" on Reddit, etc. (Which if the Reddit statement was true, I was SOL because Windows 7 hosted networks don't support an open Wi-Fi network)

xlWQprW.jpg

yf5szXm.jpg

No joy.

Turns out after browsing Google and Reddit, it turns out that attwifi might have been removed from the list of Nintendo Zone hotspots. That would make sense considering some people report their Nintendo Zones work fine while others don't.

All I did was change the SSID to NZ@McD1 (Mcdonalds Nintendo Zone SSID)

YMdxy4o.png

Y7IIYhCl.png

gCuuN6bl.jpg

And behold!

QWMY0hw.jpg