Operation: Generic Rainbow

BwdYeti

38tre7L.gif

/FEU cross-post

Bluh bluh bluh. This is BwdYeti, author of Fire Emblem: Immortal Sword, and Im reaching out to the community in hopes of attracting some volunteer artists to help speed things along. Ive worked with dedicated graphics artists for years on the project, but one thing has proven particularly time-consuming for our small team: instead of displaying class cards, we opted for a set of generic face sprites for each class in the game. Currently, roughly half of these face sprites are complete. Thats (hopefully) where this community project comes in.

Operation: Generic Rainbow aims to create a publicly available set of consistent face sprites representing generic members of GBAFE classes, as well as classes added in FE7x. Its like that rainbow of faceless soldier guys, except also every other class! These resources would be made free to use for fan-games and hack projects (with proper attribution to the original artists, of course).

Showing whats done so far, and what were looking for help with: this spreadsheet will be used to keep track of progress.

Ive spent the better part of six years working hard to make Immortal Sword a reality, even creating a custom engine along the way; both of which, when complete, will be available for a whopping $0.00 (+ whatever anyone feels inclined to donate wink wink). As an aspiring game developer, the experience has been invaluable. But the core goal, from the very beginning, has always been a simple one: creation for the enjoyment of others. My hope for this community project is that we can not only accelerate FE7xs graphical development, but in doing so, we create a valuable resource for others. Thats why Im reaching out to you today, so please, consider lending your artistic talents to this effort!

</disengage arch ghost-writing, resume in-character austere correspondence>

Rules and Disclaimers and Such

• All pre-existing generic faces created for FE7x become public only after all vanilla GBA classes have a complete set of faces in at least one gender. Specifically, the remaining classes are: Assassin, Great Knight, Nomad, Dracoknight, Pegasus Knight, Cleric, Mage, and Sorcerer. This isnt the endpoint of the project, but a minimum threshold of community contribution to validate sharing the substantial work already done.
  • All FE7x generics will be part of this project, even for 7x exclusive classes: they could be used in place of vanilla classes, for new classes made in other projects, edited into new faces, whatever.
  • Three judges will handle submissions: myself, AK, and Arch, representing a balance between striving for perfection and knowing when to call it good enough and move on.
  • Any one judge can accept an edit into the official listing. Two judges can declare a sprite finished, which closes the submission to further edits to focus effort where its more useful. However, all three can reopen an entry if it's later deemed no longer up to par.
  • All sprites submitted will be publicly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial. Basically this means anyone is free to use or edit the sprites (for non-commercial purposes), but the original spriters must be credited appropriately.
Sprite Guidelines
  • Each class is split into four builds, representing different power levels. the weaker two have designs vaguely drawn from the tier 1 class, while the stronger from the tier 2. FEXNA uses builds independent of tier, so a strong Myrmidon would use the strong, Swordmaster-inspired face sprite, but alternative tier based schemes could easily be used for hacks.
  • All sprites of a single class should use the same base sprite and pose. Male/female versions of existing sprites should use a similar or identical pose and should be identifiably similar to the corresponding sprite of the other gender.
  • A single palette is used across all classes to simplify recoloring, so the end-user can design palettes to represent various countries or factions and easily fit any class into that palette. Other colors can be introduced for specific purposes (eg. Archer feathers, Soldier leather and scarf, non-skin tone leather color), but with the expectation that color will be the same for all country palettes. (Here's the generic palette, and the FE7x country colors as an example)
  • Eyes are universally blanked out, as a consistent stylistic choice for the project. Its also preferable to include some kind of headgear to justify this whenever possible. Editing the faces for use in games is very much allowed, though, so they could be added in if desired.
  • This project is targeted at FEXNA as well as hacks, so there are considerations to mind for sprite size. Faces should be extended some 12-24 pixels vertically compared to GBAFE and match the proportions of the existing sprites (simply use the battle sprites for height comparisons between classes), but the bulk of the sprite that is above that extension should fit in a hackbox. Only the strong build can be wider than the GBAFE 96px maximum.
Edited by BwdYeti

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks cool~

A few questions:

- Do you have a readily available sheet for reference? The one you have at the top of the post seems good enough, although shoulders are sadly hidden and there seems to be more height diversity in the spreadsheet.

- In addition to ^ am I safe assuming the classes are their FE7 equivalents (i.e. I can safely reference battlesprites and OA without being expert on FE7x lore).

- Are these intended as classcards only or are you also doubling them as mugs? (i.e. do I have to worry about angling / utility)

- I'm assuming that the ones that have a build but are missing the others are looking for essentially a costume edit? (i.e. altering build is out of the question)

Rules and Disclaimers and Such

• All pre-existing generic faces created for FE7x become public only after all vanilla GBA classes have a complete set of faces in at least one gender. Specifically, the remaining classes are: Assassin, Great Knight, Nomad, Dracoknight, Pegasus Knight, Cleric, Mage, and Sorcerer. This isnt the endpoint of the project, but a minimum threshold of community contribution to validate sharing the substantial work already done.

Reading this as 'I'm not sharing FE7x unless you guys help out here'?

Sorry, jumping in here.

- Do you have a readily available sheet for reference? The one you have at the top of the post seems good enough, although shoulders are sadly hidden and there seems to be more height diversity in the spreadsheet.

IIRC, it's preferred to have at least the bust of the mug fit hackbox width (96px), but the rest can be quite a bit larger. I think keeping it to like under 100px height was kind of the limit? It's really just GBA FE-sized with a little more torso; quarter-bodies.

- In addition to ^ am I safe assuming the classes are their FE7 equivalents (i.e. I can safely reference battlesprites and OA without being expert on FE7x lore).

Well, seeing all the liberties already taken with design in the existing mugs, I think it'd be safe to assume that. Just kind of use your best judgment?

- Are these intended as classcards only or are you also doubling them as mugs? (i.e. do I have to worry about angling / utility)

They have speaking frames, so I'm psure they double as mugs, too.

- I'm assuming that the ones that have a build but are missing the others are looking for essentially a costume edit? (i.e. altering build is out of the question)

Costume edit would be easier, but if you can make the existing build look better, I don't think anyone would really object, so long as it looks consistent.

Reading this as 'I'm not sharing FE7x unless you guys help out here'?

I think he meant it more like "I'll share the existing mugs if you guys help out enough to warrant it being open-source due to the sheer diversity of contributors."

Edited by Etain

This sounds like an excellent project. I love how awakening did that and i like the multiple strengths thing even better. Unfortunately, I'm not a spriter, so i can't help you. I'd love to see this completed though. (also fe7x and fexna, but that almost goes without saying.) keep up the good work,

Since I ghostwrote the intro, I just want to clarify that there's no intent to portray a "threat" regarding this communal art project falling through, he just needs enough participation to justify open-sourcing the half of the work that's already been done to release an entire set for free use.

Great intro, Yetiman. Had me in tears.

Edited by Arch

On the sheet, I think the fighter/warrior's weak and normal mugs are switched.

Really cool project, bringing the community together, and 7x. If there's enough contribution for this to go open source, these would be excellent placeholder mugs for projects in development.

Those little octagon insignias are really cool too.

Edited by deranger

Something weird happened with fighters, yeah. It's fixed now.
And yes, the faces will be available for basically anything you would do with GBAFE vanilla faces; use as is, edit into different generics, edit into unique characters, splice together with things, etc etc. Just have to give credit :J

The original post does not say how to submit mugs: I would assume, message them to one of the judges?

Anyway there's some great mugs in there and I can't wait to see what the community can cook up.

Well I made these:

XbGYRpS.png (Just the last two, of course)

I don't know that they hold up to the standard but I'm still working on them. Especially the last one

thought id make a few edits to give the mid tier assassin a different spin, sorry if i offend you by doing so smirks, but id thought id try to start more collective work help thing? i dunno it just felt right

assassin%20mid%20tier%20possible.png

used some reference from vamps original thief base to make so i guess most credit would go to him or something? i dunno (please don't hate me vamp sempai.) anyone else can feel free to make edits to make it look better as well?

i dunno what your plan is fr the assassin yeti but eh.

Both iterations of the assassin seem kind of lacking in detail compared to the thief. I like the headpieces, but the bodies are incredibly boring, honestly. Maybe throw on a belt or some shoulder armor or something?

Also, quality control will be done, so don't stress too much about quality. Just do the best you're able to.

Edited by Etain

mah, good point eta, dont wanna make i too complicated though at least in my opinion. might do something to spice it up myself in between trying to make a nomad generic

EDIT:

mid%20tier%20assassin%20and%20possible%2

i dunno maybe that works better for the assassin, also ive been trying to make a nomad generic, but im not sure if its working out, so anybody can feel free to mess with it if they wanna.

Edited by ShinyPichu