Working on reviving some old sprites I had lying around...

metalflygon08

Just saw I had these sheets I had been working on lying around, so I touched them up some and animated them to see what they look like. Opinions?

[spoiler=Finished sheets]

MgV412O.png

Pirate

66QPLdf.png

Female Assassin

Edited by metalflygon08

I actually think the pirate's swivel-arm is charming. It also gives a bit more of a legitimate reason as to why a Berserker who promoted from a pirate suddenly decided that two axes was too much to use.

My only complaint is that the pirate doesn't seem to move very much. Magic-users can get away with standing relatively still, but melee units generally are a bit more active in their sprites. They walk, run, jump, or whatever towards the target, and at the current moment the pirate isn't doing that.

I'm liking that shaman dodge.

Pirate is pretty nice too, but I don't like the crit. First, the smears are kind of bad for the axe twirl; needs to be more curved so it looks like it's actually going around. And, the fact that it's just a twirl before a normal attack feels like a wasted opportunity. You have all sorts of interesting opportunities with an axe, so why not use them? The twirl could end in a rising swing or something instead.

pirates looking nice though don't ranged axe animations in the gba games have a more hand axe design? (double edged axe and all that)

shaman animation looks nice, though i do have two things that niggle me about it. the first being that he seems kinda like he's leaning forward all the time (that might just be my own weird perspective though) and that, though rather petty as far as concerns go, the outfit looks a bit to flashy and tightly fit for a shaman animation in my opinion. in fact its a bit to flashy and energetic for a shaman in general, it would work for a light user of sorts but not really a dark user. again most of the concerns there are just minor niggles i get from looking at it, but other then that its a nice animation.

I went with how Awakening handled Throwing Axes, with them being normal axes lobbed hatchet style.

Under normal circumstances the Pirate would move more, I had just gone to far into the GIF when I realized I needed more room and just rolled with it, at the end of the cycle you can see he does a little 'hop' it'd be a bit more of a Jump in a more spacious environment, when I iron out some of the other issues I'll tackle that (I am working on something for the critical's spin).

That looks awesome! Though for some reason it reminds me of a dance move? or maybe a "Stop fighting!" moment where the character both of the people fighting care about dies.

These are some excellent animations! Would you mind if I scripted them for FEditor use?

Druid is looking great so far, but his cloak should have wider shoulders imo; I think it would complete the "bulky dark magic user" look.

nhcgVGN.gif

REALLY REALLY REALLY rough draft of the Druid, I wanna spruce up the cape a lot more, and also add some odds and ends here and there (like maybe some armor to make sense of the class' typically low speed).

The problem with this sprite is the height. His height when he's standing is the same when he has his leg bent and spread out. He'd definitely be lower to the ground then.

One thing I think would help with the theme you've got going on is adding some effects to the movement. You know the light afterimages of the shaman/druid dodge? Maybe you could incorporate that in your attacks.

Also, I think two pixels would be better for the height difference rather than one.

Edited by Lord of Gabriel Knight

And out of left field because I got tired of fidjiting with the shaman and druid,,,

1Z5cIMK.gif

a Fire Dragon! And if all goes well it should be universal, since I'm planning on it acting like a Mage and have the Dragonstone spell animation being a stream of breath fire.

While I work on Fire Head, a little something else I'm working on.

Q7eOB12.gif

BELIEVE IT! ninja class.

Knees are hard to properly sprite...

Not looking forwards to all the scarf frames I'm gonna have to make

Edited by metalflygon08