New english name for a character revealed?

Water Mage

First of all, I must stress for you all to take this with a grain of salt.

It could be completely fake.

According to this site:

http://www.dcdouglas.com/credits/

It seems that in the english version of Fates there will character named Llewellyn, that will be voiced D.C. Douglas.

But who could it be?

I did a little research on the name:

It's a name of welsh origin.

It is a variation of Llywelyn.

It seems to mean either "Leader or "Lion"

And one of it's variations is Leolin.

Could it Zero's english name?

It would fit with the lion-themed name of his master Leo.

Or it could be Benoit's english name, as his name may be changed to avoid having the same as Chris Benoit.

Or it may be Clear's english name as he is the leader of the Ice Tribe.

Again, I must stress this.

That site could be fake.

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...because unpronounceable Welsh names make more sense than Zero? ...I don't mind the name if it was real... But that seems doubtful/confusing if the translation team changed Japanese names to easier to spell/pronounce variants but did a European name with more issues instead of something simple like Zero. XD

...because unpronounceable Welsh names make more sense than Zero? ...I don't mind the name if it was real... But that seems doubtful/confusing if the translation team changed Japanese names to easier to spell/pronounce variants but did a European name with more issues instead of something simple like Zero. XD

Not that hard, from what I researched it is pronouced "Levelin".

That can't be right. Like ErrantShepherd said, how the hell do you pronounce that, and secondly, it doesn't look like it makes any sense for Zero. Either fake or one of those other characters.

EDIT: Okay, pronunciation issue solved, but everything else I said still stands.

Edited by Anacybele

That can't be right. Like ErrantShepherd said, how the hell do you pronounce that, and secondly, it doesn't look like it makes any sense for Zero. Either fake or one of those other characters.

EDIT: Okay, pronunciation issue solved, but everything else I said still stands.

It doesn't have to make sense, many characters in Fire Emblem are given names that doesn't have deep meanings.

And that Zero thing was just a guess, since D.C. Douglas's voice would fit him.

first off, FALLS THE FUCK OVER BECAUSE I'M ALWAYS A SLUT FOR DC DOUGLAS' VOICE

secondly, it's probably someone like Dia

thirdly:

It seems legit in that this is his official page. I doubt that is Zero, though. More likely a replacement for one of the absurd Nohrian names like Lazward, Benoit, Lutz or Dia.

squints like a motherfucker if you think that's happening

It seems legit in that this is his official page. I doubt that is Zero, though. More likely a replacement for one of the absurd Nohrian names like Lazward, Benoit, Lutz or Dia.

I don't think it's Lazward since he is most likely going to be voiced by Liam O'Briam.

Good call on the kids though, maybe it's Igins's english name.

Edited by Water Mage

I hope he is not voicing Zero.I want Lon'qu's VA to since J Lon'qu's VA voices Zero.Also does anyone have a voice clip?I have never even heard of this guy.

I hope he is not voicing Zero.I want Lon'qu's VA to since J Lon'qu's VA voices Zero.Also does anyone have a voice clip?I have never even heard of this guy.

D.C. Douglas is the voice of Wesker from Resident Evil and Azrael from Blazblue.

im thinking it may be leo xander or ryoumas son because xander and ryouma are the eldest sons of the two countrys and with leo it would fit the lion meaning of his name but im taking it with more than a grain of salt

I hope he is not voicing Zero.I want Lon'qu's VA to since J Lon'qu's VA voices Zero.

alas, I'm doubting that'll happen since Travis Willingham is already voicing Garon as per the trailer.

Good call on the kids though, maybe it's Igins's english name.

eh... that's certainly a possibility, considering that Ignis' name would overlap with a skill, but then again Luna's does too and we've had no word on a change there

it's probably Dia if anyone lbh

Sticking with Llywellyn being Benoit; both names originate from Western European, and Benoit has some... rather sad and unfortunate associations.

alright so as someone who is more than well-versed in the Chris Benoit incident I can safely say that it's highly unlikely that, nearly a decade after it occurred, a completely unrelated company to WWE would care about that particular connotation considering that the name is common

Here's some more roles of D.C. Douglas:

Alexei from Tales of Vesperia

Dylas from Rune Factory 4

Raven from Tekken.

We could use this examples to see which Fates character fits his vocal range, and figure out who is Llewellyn.

Edited by Water Mage

alright so as someone who is more than well-versed in the Chris Benoit incident I can safely say that it's highly unlikely that, nearly a decade after it occurred, a completely unrelated company to WWE would care about that particular connotation considering that the name is common

It's a possibility; NOA is a bit unpredictable.

Still doesn't change the first connection (albeit French to Welsh isn't a tiny change).

Emperor Peony from Tales of the Abyss

Raven from Tekken.

We could use this examples to see which Fates character fits his vocal range, and figure out who is Llewellyn.

I'll add Azrael from BlazBlue to that list.

Peony's the odd one out, as all the others have deeper voices and typically "ham it up", and are physically imposing (you could say Dylas isn't that physically imposing, but that I say werewolf).

Since voice-acting is infamously pigeonholed, this seems to lead back to my original choice of Benoit; he's an imposing, thugish-looking character. The only other character that could match is Arthur, who is, well... Arthur instead of Harold.

Edited by The DanMan

From wikipedia:

“The name evolved from the Old British name Lugubelinos, which was a compound of two names for Celtic deities. The first, Lugus, is also the source of the first element in the names Llywarch and Lliwelydd, and, as an independent name, evolved into Welsh Lleu. The second element, Belenus, evolved as an independent name into Welsh Belyn.[1]”

If localizers are already looking at "Llywelyn", then "Belyn" might be more visually similar for Benoit.

Anyway, it's definitely possible that the localizers would use "Llywelyn" as a name. We've had other Welsh or at least Celtic/Irish names used in the series, such as Rhys and Ethlin. Hell, even Dagda and Ogma appear to be of Irish origin. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I don't know about it being Zero, though.

Edited by Sunwoo

Raven from Tekken.

im listening to peony im thinking he will be xanders son

Raven from Tekken.

im listening to peony im thinking he will be xanders son

He didn't voice Peony, that was my mistake.

Llewelyn is hardly some obscure, unpronounceable name. It has appeared in another prominent RPG before (Valkyrie Profile) and is the last name of the actor who played Q in James Bond films for like 40 years, apart from being a real, normal name which real English-speaking people have.

Dunno who it might be, besides someone on the Nohr side.

Man I hope it's not Siegbert

It's infinitely less funny if Marx's son is no longer named after his sword

Also I highly doubt that Shino's gonna get an entirely non-Japanese name. A name crop or a change to a simpler Japanese name, possibly, but that? No way in hell

I believe our mystery man may be Asyura.I mean just based on looks alone and also from hearing his Wesker voice, it could be possible.Also I say they will change Asyura's name so it is not so similar to Azura.