100% Global Save File for Awakening

ShadowMario3

I have been working on this save for a while and thought I would share it with the community. How Awakening's save system works has been known for a while due to emuNAND users using SaveDataFiler, but with recent developments where Homebrew is accessible to more people recently, the same can be said for save modifying (FireEditor) and replacing.

Awakening's main three save files are saved as Chapter0, Chapter1, and Chapter2. Other items such as Support Log, Renown, Character Gallery, and Avatar Logbook are all saved in the Global file. I have managed to unlock:

• 100% Extras Menu. Support Log, All Cutcenes, and Unit Gallery is 100% complete.
  • 99999 Renown. New Game required to start with this amount as it won't overwrite the amount in current save files.
  • Lunatic+/Classic (and Lunatic+/Casual) unlocked.
  • Maxed out Avatar Logbook. All 99 units have every skill they could obtain legally (at least 68 for male units, 70 for female units) and maxed out stats in every class.

Since the Global file is separate from the main files, you will not lose (nearly) anything in your main three files if you mess around with the Global file. Here is the specific file for the North American version of the game. Please be sure to read the Readme file for a full explanation of what it inside the Global File. The main thing you will lose are the units in your Avatar Logbook. If you need to save any, you can recruit them (20 per save file, up to 60 total), then re-add them after you import the Global file. NOTE: I have tested this Global file out on a European English cart, and it seems to load the Avatar Logbook with no issues, and I was able to recruit any unit. Not sure how it'll work on the multi language European version.

If you try load the above file into a multi language European or Japanese game, nearly everything will work out. Some children will look glitchy if you view them through the Support Log. Just load a save file with the recruited child units, save, and the children will be back to normal. However, if you try to open the Avatar Logbook, the game will always crash, rendering it unusable.

Download this Global file instead. This is a more "region free" 100% Global File. It has the same features as the first Global file, but has an empty Avatar Logbook, so EUR and JPN users won't be left out. As usual, read the Readme file before doing anything.

As for how to actually backup your save file (you can backup carts and digital saves) and import the Global file, you will essentially need to have used Homebrew already if you are on firmware 10.2.0. If you are still on 10.1.0 or before, you may be in luck (unfortunately, I hear that Browserhax is slowly being killed off by Nintendo now, might need Cubic Ninja). Follow smealum's guide on how to install Homebrew. You should also download the Save Manager files and add them to the 3ds homebrew folder so it is ready right away. Once you have done so, follow these steps:

• Use SaveDataFiler (emuNAND users) or Save Manager (Homebrew users) to backup your save file to your SD card.
  • Insert SD card into computer. Find the path where the Global file is saved. Back up the contents to a separate folder to be safe.
  • Extract Global file from .zip of one of the downloaded files into the same area, overwriting the old Global file.
  • Take out the SD card, load back into the 3DS, and use program initially used to import the new files back into the game. Chapter0, Chapter1, and Chapter2 should be unedited as those are your personal saves.
  • Game should have mentioned features with your save files intact.

I know that a good amount of fans are probably working on trying to 100% the game on their own, so this is mainly for the fans who want it right away and have no issues with using Homebrew.

I think I've heard of this browsing the GBATemp forums.

Great job on this!

Here's a question though...

Since you "wiped" the logbook for the EUR/JPN versions... is it documented where those are stored? Like could we possibly "import" that data from our own Global file?

So that we keep all our Logbook Units?

Yeah, I have posted this in the FireEditor topic on GBATemp and on r/FireEmblem as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't even delved into hex editing at all, so I don't know where that information would be stored. I manually removed every Logbook unit on my own so people wouldn't be stuck with an unusable Logbook in their JPN and EUR carts. Hopefully Olmectron can use this Global file to eventually make it so FireEditor can add all these features without wiping out your Avatar Logbook.

Nice explanation! Good to know it works in European saves too. Just a question since I didn't ask before, one should change the language to English first (in the European copies), then put the Global file in, boot up the game, save it and then can change back to whatever language they use?

Nice explanation! Good to know it works in European saves too. Just a question since I didn't ask before, one should change the language to English first (in the European copies), then put the Global file in, boot up the game, save it and then can change back to whatever language they use?

I do not think it should matter since someone who has a Portuguese (or German, not sure) managed to import it the main Global file without changing the language to English.

I do not think it should matter since someone who has a Portuguese (or German, not sure) managed to import it the main Global file without changing the language to English.

Okay. So I could assume it works as normal (just like in the North American version), right? Nothing special or different to do? That's nice to know!