FE5: are sol/luna checked before hit, or is hit checked before sol/luna?

dondon151

the site implies that sol/luna are checked before hit, but this goes against my intuition. has this been tested or checked for in the game's code?

EDIT: i just did a test with sleep sword ilios (12 skl) attacking zwei @ 1 hit. if sol/luna are checked before hit, then ilios should activate sol 12% of the time and successfully hit.

36 attacks yielded 0 sol activations and 0 hits. there's a 1% chance that this could occur if sol/luna were checked before hit. therefore, i'm 99% confident that sol/luna are checked after hit.

Edited by dondon151

I just witnessed Eyrios miss with a master sword after activating sol. Was attacking a sleeping Elf who presumably activated miracle. So if sol/luna are calculated after hit, they are also calculated before miracle.

This is probably known already but I figured I would comment just in case.

Edited by feplus

I can confirm that it first calculates the skill. If it's a critical hit and you see the animation start up, you know it's a 100% hit because crit is calculated after hit. With skills it's different, there can be activations of it on attacks that will miss. I had a couple of sun swords which missed in my playthrough. Meaning that it first checks for the skill.

Edited by GrySun