Which is your Favorite and Least Favorite Pokemon Generation

Busterman64

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Pokemon Generation?

2. 2. Which is your least favorite Pokemon Generation?

If I were to base it on my favorite games, then FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and X/Y would be the contenders. So I guess that'd be 1, 2, and 6.

And an ice cream cone with a face and a living pile of trash get a pass...?

Again, FRLG are Gen 3 and HGSS are Gen 4.

Generations =/= Regions

And for what it's worth I think Vanillite and Trubbish are really cute

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favourite:

Gen II is probably up there for nostalgia. I'd played Pokemon Yellow before then, but Silver - which I still have the cartridge for - was when I first got really invested in the series. It was such an awesome game for the time. I love the more rural setting compared to later games, with the focus on old fashioned towns and lore. This Gen also added some of my early favourite Pokemon.

In terms of Pokemon, I really like Gen V for some reason. I just like so many of the designs. Interesting though, I've never played Black 2 or White 2. I was just disinterested in the series when they came out. After my Sacred Gold playthough, I'm itching to try Volt White or Blaze Black.

Least:

I'd say Gen IV, but it's more Diamond and Pearl I don't like. In terms of Pokemon added, it felt so uninspired. A lot of the new evolutions were ugly, though a couple were nice (like Togekiss). The legendaries for this Gen were god awful to the eyes, and they came in droves. Also, there's a fire type Elite Four, with only two Fire types. I'm not sure how that made it through. Sinnoh just never grabbed me either, though it's slightly redeemed by Platinum.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver though... pretty awesome, but that's because they're remakes for a better Gen. But for me, it's all about Sacred Gold and Storm Silver for the best Gen IV experience.

Yeah...Drayano is my god now.

Attacking Vanilluxe and Garbodor is hideously old and isn't even a valid argument anymore

Garbodor is a trash version of Totoro. Looking at them side by side makes it super obvious. In addition, it is the land pollution to Muk's water pollution and Weezing's air pollution. Poison is toxins and pollutants. It would be ridiculous to not have a garbage Pokemon for the same reason that there must be spider or snake Pokemon. If you dislike Garbodor, you probably just have an issue wih Poison-types in general. They aren't Fairy-types after all.

Vanilluxe is not an ice cream cone. It's a visual reference, but it actually represents snow piled upon icicles. For the same reason that Slurpuff is a dog that looks like a cupcake or cotton candy or Chimecho looks like a festival bell, it looks like one thing but is actually another.

I'm sick of people pointing them out when they fall under tropes Pokemon already had. Combine those themes with visual gags and that Unova is America. So yeah, dislike Vanilluxe, dislike Slurpuff, and etcetera.

Edited by Ms. Andrews

Again, FRLG are Gen 3 and HGSS are Gen 4.

Generations =/= Regions

Eh *shrugs* I'm still saying 1 & 2.

And for what it's worth I think Vanillite and Trubbish are really cute

Just pointing it out, the logic of "some of the Pokemon designs are boring. Like how Muk is just a pile of sludge with arms and a face" does not hold up when every Generation has something like this. You can't single out one and give the others a pass.

If you dislike Garbodor, you probably just have an issue wih Poison-types in general. They aren't Fairy-types after all.

This is the only part of your dumb statement I'm directly replying to, and all I will say about it is this: several of my favorite Pokemon are Poison-type, or at least half-Poison (like Nidoking).

As for the rest of your dumb statement...chill out. Take a breather. Remember what I told you a couple days ago? About your hypocrisy? You belittling and talking down to people in basically every thread you go to? Yeah, you're doing it again. Stop it. And to think, you're the one always telling people not to stereotype, generalize, etc....

I actually think Trubbish is cute too! Garbodor, however, is pretty hideous. And I do NOT have any problem with Poison types. In fact, I like several of them. Trubbish, Crobat, Toxicroak, etc.

Edited by Anacybele

Eh *shrugs* I'm still saying 1 & 2.

Okay, but you'll be running the risk of confusing people.

Just pointing it out, the logic of "some of the Pokemon designs are boring. Like how Muk is just a pile of sludge with arms and a face" does not hold up when every Generation has something like this. You can't single out one and give the others a pass.

Sorry! I haven't been paying much attention to that whole conversation.

Just wanted to add my tuppence about those two since I saw them mentioned.

Sorry again for butting in.

Edited by Dotty

Also, there's a fire type Elite Four, with only two Fire types. I'm not sure how that made it through.

On that note, while Yellow was supposedly inspired by the anime, Blaine didn't use a Magmar. I mean, what the hell, Gamefreak?

I feel like Flint only having two Fire types in Diamond and Pearl was just a big goof-up on GameFreak's part. :P By the time they realized how few Fire types they put in the games, it was too late and they were like "aw shit." Glad they fixed the problem in Platinum though! Flint has a full team of Fire types there.

don't think it's any time for warnings rn but it is time to gently remind people that this is a video game please be chill

if i see more mad stuff after this i can get mad but for now i'm ok tbh

Least favorite is gen 4 (I liked Platinum, but overall the designs were kinda... ehhhh...)

Favorite is actually gen 3. First team I got to level 100 for everyone. And I got a shiny Flygon!!!!

HGSS ruined Johto omg, and Sinnoh was boring.

while I hate sinnoh, how did HGSS ruin johto? I haven't played the originals but I thought the remakes were pretty okay

I feel like Flint only having two Fire types in Diamond and Pearl was just a big goof-up on GameFreak's part. :P By the time they realized how few Fire types they put in the games, it was too late and they were like "aw shit." Glad they fixed the problem in Platinum though! Flint has a full team of Fire types there.

I actually kind of liked how flint didn't have all fire types, since it makes him seem less... dumb. I mean, some npcs even say "You should try to raise many kinds of pokemon!" and all these gym leaders, elite 4, and even some champions who have all the same type of pokemon. thus giving most if not all of them a common weakness. you gotta wonder how most of those people made it that far in life with just those pokemon types

Least favorite is gen 4 (I liked Platinum, but overall the designs were kinda... ehhhh...)

Favorite is actually gen 3. First team I got to level 100 for everyone. And I got a shiny Flygon!!!!

do you have any idea how jealous I am right now

because I am

i like 3 the most because i thought it was fun and also i like a lot of the pokemon and also i love fire red a lot it's probably my favorite pokemon game

4 is my least favorite

it's just sooo slow

i haven't played platinum

i like hgss but diamond and pearl are probably the pokemon games i have the least fun playing

i mean i don't like bw2 either but i literally cannot bring myself to pick up pearl again which is kind sad because diamond was the first pokemon game i played and i have a lot of memories with it

also i don't like the pokemon in gen 4 much

i like the new evolutions and stuff but some of the others are just... ehhhh

kricketune is awesome though i love kricketune

Edited by maybe

It's interesting that some common trends seem to be emerging.

A lot of the people that have Gen 3 as their favourite have Gen 4 as their least favourite.

A lot of the people that have Gen 5 as their favourite have Gen 3 as their least favourite.

I wonder what it says about us and what we like and dislike in games.

Maybe I'm just looking into things too much though.

It's interesting that some common trends seem to be emerging.

A lot of the people that have Gen 3 as their favourite have Gen 4 as their least favourite.

A lot of the people that have Gen 5 as their favourite have Gen 3 as their least favourite.

I wonder what it says about us and what we like and dislike in games.

Maybe I'm just looking into things too much though.

I dunno. Giratina is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time (so cute!!!) and Platinum I enjoyed. It's just Pearl and Diamond weren't... as good and I didn't much care for the designs of some of the new Pokemon.

Gen 5 is my favorite because Unova is a really cool region and it felt like it had a good pace to it. The gym leaders were interesting and actually did something outside their gyms and it raised a lot of questions towards black and white morality, which I liked. Even though Gen 4 introduced the Physical/Special Split, Gen 5 really refined battling and made it sleeker, in my opinion.

I love Gen 4's Sinnoh a lot except for Mt Coronet, and I loved HGSS. Sinnoh's jazzy route themes are my favorite route themes of all. Also, the Physical/Special split happened here. Platinum is just a bundle of greatness, too. I'd say it's my favorite in the series.

Gen 3 was good. Hoenn makes me feel at home due to being born in an island nation myself, and is my favorite region overall. LOVE the orchestrated music as well. Fire Red and Leaf Green were decent, as were Ruby and Sapphire. They felt boring though. Emerald, however kept me entertained for a very long time due to the Battle Frontier.

Gen 6 had good ideas, but it didn't feel as adventurous as the other generations. It felt like it was a bit too simplified as well, and the games didn't feel as challenging or engaging, even without using the exp share. However, I still found it very fun. Special mentions to the amazing musical score for both ORAS and XY

Gen 2 was great for its time and Johto was a great region. The games have aged very nicely for me and still hold up, so I don't have much complaints for this one.

Gen 1 was stock full of glitches and the battles felt slow. The domination of the Psychic type as well as the fact critical hits were based on speed amongst other things like how Docus energy screwed you over instead of helped really don't age well nowadays. They started the series, yes but the older generations definitely built upon it and are overall stronger for me.

Gen 2 is my favorite, mainly because of nostalgia and Crystal was the first Pokemon game you could play as a girl.

Gen 3 would be my least favorite. Not sure why, I just couldn't get into that generation at all. ._. I even tried playing the new remakes but still didn't like it all that much.

at least it isn't gen 2 where they had a dragon type gym leader and champion despite the fact that there were only 2 fully evolved fire types so they just ended up giving lance 3 dragonites.

• 3 weeks later...

Gen 2 is my favorite, mainly because of nostalgia and Crystal was the first Pokemon game you could play as a girl.

Gen 3 would be my least favorite. Not sure why, I just couldn't get into that generation at all. ._. I even tried playing the new remakes but still didn't like it all that much.

Looks like someone's got the same answer as me!

Though, in my case: a) the reasons are more clear-cut; and b) Gen 6 comes very close as my second most favourite. I've always considered the real-life setting and geography of Pokémon to be one of the defining features in Pokémon. Rarely did we have any other RPGs (and especially Nintendo-franchise ones) that had real-life geography incorporated into a game universe. The only three examples besides Pokémon that I know of are Shin Megami Tensei, Yokai Watch, and Earthbound, and the latter is a borderline case.

Gen 2 represented the Kansai region very accurately, and really, that should have been the standard for the level of reference and accuracy in a Pokémon region compared to the real-life counterpart - which only the Gen 6 new games comes anywhere close. Gen 3, on the other hand, is a mess. They should really have ditched Kyushu and instead, go overseas, like Yokai Watch 3 did. Actually model the region (and by this the landmass and culture) from Hawaii, the coastal area of Queensland, or Guam-Saipan, and I would at least play the remake, if not the original. Yeah, this lack of geographical accuracy in Gen 3 was a dealbreaker for me - it made me skip RSE, DPPt, and BW1+2. (Though I played BW1+2 after coming back for XY.) And it looks like Gen 7's regions is the one that would be upholding the standard that Gen 2/6's region has.

Edited by henrymidfields

Got into the series during Gen III. Gen IV would probably be my fave though. I really liked Soul Silver and Pearl was fun.

Gen V is my least fave, didn't like the art style, and didn't really like Unova.

• 3 weeks later...

Gen 3 is my favourite because I really liked the pokémon, the rival teams and the overall tropical feel Hoenn had.

My least favourite is Gen1 because of it's many flaws even if I still enjoy playing gen 1 games.

Edited by Yari

Platinum is easily my favorite, so Gen IV gets my vote. Aside from the heavy use of HMs, I enjoy basically everything about Sinnoh: Pokemon, Rowan, Barry, TURTWIG, GIRATINA, Cynthia, mountains (mountains're nice), music. . . Cyrus and his goons were pretty okay too and I--OH WAIT, LOOKER. Like, just everything, okay?

Least would be Gen II because G/S/C were pretty boring to me. I appreciate all the stuff it added, though.