TMS #FE Review Compilation Thread

Post any reviews from major sites you find and I'll add them to the OP.

Eurogamer - Positive review.

Nintendo World Report - 9/10

TSA - 7/10

NintendoLife - 8/10

VOOKS - 4/5

4Gamers (Dutch) - 85/100

My Nintendo News - 6/10

Wiitalia (Italian) - 8/10

Nintendo News - 3.5/5

LazyGamer - 8/10

GodIsAGeek - 9.5/10

Polygon - 9.5/10

Attack of the Fanboy - 9/10

Destructoid - 8/10

RPG Site - 9/10

Game Informer - 8.25/10

Gamespot - 8/10

Gamesradar - 4/5

Nintendo Enthusiast - 9/10

Game Revolution - 8/10

The Games Machine (Italian)- 7/10

Slant Magazine - 7/10

FNintendo (Portuguese) - 9/10

Meristation (Spanish) - 8/10

Nintendo Inquirer - 7/10

Edited by Jave

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Nintendo News feels like they didn't even play the game and just took everything at surface value. At least from what they were expecting with that last line of "Chrom, your legacy deserved better."

The fact that they didn't even mention the unlockable Lunatic difficulty felt like they weren't interested in reviewing the game... rather, they were interested in ripping on it because it wasn't what they expected and played the minimum required time to say "I played it, so I can review it".

Edited by shadowofchaos

Thanks for doing this thread. I'm not really in need of more convincing , but I'll still read some of them since I'm curious to see how western reviewers received the game, seems pretty positive so far as I expected (hoped ?) just from looking at your summary.

I hope this will help people on the fence to not overlook it.

My Nintendo News feels like they didn't even play the game and just took everything at surface value. At least from what they were expecting with that last line of "Chrom, your legacy deserved better."

The fact that they didn't even mention the unlockable Lunatic difficulty felt like they weren't interested in reviewing the game... rather, they were interested in ripping on it because it wasn't what they expected and played the minimum required time to say "I played it, so I can review it".

I was reading the one at LazyGamer and I'm convinced I need this game. The dude spent 63 hrs beating the game and it has New Game+. Quite good!

I'm just wanting the OST (Not the bonus CD music, just the In-Game music, like overcity and battle music).

The reviews are better then I thought they would be even GameInformer gave it a decent review I don't have the link right now but they reviewed it last month and as I remember they gave it a 7.5 out of 10 or something like that. I am really looking forward to playing it hopefully my copy won't take too long in the mail.

I'm actually surprised how this game has better positive review/sales than in Japan.

The reviews from Japan were good as far as I know, with Dengeki calling the game a masterpiece and Famitsu giving 34/40 (8/9/9/8), and impressions from players also have been very positive. It's too early to judge the sales since the game will only be out in 2 days officially, but I don't expect it to sell better than what it sold in Japan (then again, maybe with good word of mouth combined to all the positive reviews ?).

It seems like it'll settle around 8 out of 10, it's nice to see that good RPGs are still very much liked.

Edited by Avk

Honestly, nearly all the hate comments towards this game came from people who were salty that the game wasn't what they expected to be.

Nearly everyone seems to agree that the game's quality is consistently good.

Eightspot continues yet again.

Kinda frustrating how nobody mentions the exclusion of non-Akaneia characters; of course that's all they recognize, further reinforcing the image to IS that they're all that matters on a global scale for the series.

Anyways, a mixture of 7's and 8's are what I expected; seeing 9's thrown in is kinda shocking. I seriously wonder what this game's Western legacy will be.

Edited by The DanMan

Honestly, nearly all the hate comments towards this game came from people who were salty that the game wasn't what they expected to be.

Nearly everyone seems to agree that the game's quality is consistently good.

muh smt

Eightspot continues yet again.

Kinda frustrating how nobody mentions the exclusion of non-Akaneia characters; of course that's all they recognize, further reinforcing the image to IS that they're all that matters on a global scale for the series.

Anyways, a mixture of 7's and 8's are what I expected; seeing 9's thrown in is kinda shocking. I seriously wonder what this game's Western legacy will be.

Because the game is being reviewed by overall gamers, not Fire Emblem fans.

Yet you'd think somebody who reviewed what's purportedly a crossover would be familiar with one part of it or another.

Yet you'd think somebody who reviewed what's purportedly a crossover would be familiar with one part of it or another.

Not really. It's not like it's a requirement or anything. Specially in this case where the game is trying to be its own thing rather than a traditional crossover.

Not really. It's not like it's a requirement or anything. Specially in this case where the game is trying to be its own thing rather than a traditional crossover.

Fair enough; even then, I saw a reviewer note that it most closely resembles Persona more than anything.

And that it's pretty irrelevant. Yeah, there's no one from Elibe or Tellius, but that's what sequels are for. You start with the iconic and let's face it Akaneia is the most iconic FE setting. It was the first one made and thus set the standard (heck, every first gen Mirage set the Archetypes in the series with Caeda, Draug, Navarre, and Cain) while Awakening is what launched the series from mere cult classic in the Nintendo catalog to A-Lister. So while FE does have a rich genealogy of characters to choose from, you have to go with what's most recognizable.

Anyway, about what I expected on the critical front. When you get down to it there was just no way this was going to be bad considering the pedigree at work. Hopefully Nintendo uses it as a springboard for new ideas.

Edited by Aiddon

I suppose now that the reviews give it the ok, I'll give it a whack when it comes out. I probably can't get it day one, living a two hour round trip from the nearest Gamestop (which almost no game is worth), but I can try to get it soon.

I seriously wonder what this game's Western legacy will be.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it will remain a novelty unique to its time and place as an incomprehensible ode to Japanese idol culture. Twenty years from now there will be the occasional blog or forum post composed in its honor, writing of a long forgotten gem sequestered to the ill fated Wii U and sold for positively criminal prices on the secondary market. Slightly more affluent vintage collectors may feel less guilty over dropping the money needed to pick up a copy, but whether they're seeking to fill out a Shin Megami Tensei, Fire Emblem, or Wii U collection they will nevertheless learn that this is one strange little game.

And that it's pretty irrelevant. Yeah, there's no one from Elibe or Tellius, but that's what sequels are for. You start with the iconic and let's face it Akaneia is the most iconic FE setting. It was the first one made and thus set the standard (heck, every first gen Mirage set the Archetypes in the series with Caeda, Draug, Navarre, and Cain) while Awakening is what launched the series from mere cult classic in the Nintendo catalog to A-Lister. So while FE does have a rich genealogy of characters to choose from, you have to go with what's most recognizable.

Anyway, about what I expected on the critical front. When you get down to it there was just no way this was going to be bad considering the pedigree at work. Hopefully Nintendo uses it as a springboard for new ideas.

The subject already has been discussed multiple times, but this is pretty much my opinion as well. They chose mirages from Awakening and Marth's series because they were at the time (it was before Fates released) the most popular and iconic games in the series (the renewal of the series, and its genesis). It makes sense for a starting point (see Cipher TCG).

I suppose now that the reviews give it the ok, I'll give it a whack when it comes out. I probably can't get it day one, living a two hour round trip from the nearest Gamestop (which almost no game is worth), but I can try to get it soon.

There is always the digital version on eShop, it also has slightly better loading times. You'll need around 16GB of free space if you consider that option.

If the players' reception of the game ends up matching the reviewers (with all the positive impressions from the players who played the japanese version back then, I'm quite optimistic), it'll bode well for an eventual sequel, or at least I hope so.

Yes, the foreboding question is now really up to the sales number. I think I'm with Ostrich in the fact that I'll be betting on what he said so might as well see if the West can prove me wrong and it sells pretty decently. At least better than what it did in Japan.