Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

6.5/10. Has some pretty low damage output but Pursuit at least makes him somewhat decent and Nihil has it's uses. (+0.5 bias cuz I find his interactions with Sylvia funny)

6/10. He has Pursuit, Nihil is good for recruiting Ayra and a few other things, and he makes a passable father for some kids thanks to Pursuit and sword inheritance. Alec/Raquesis was perfectly decent, for example.

(Yes, the interactions with Sylvia are hilarious.)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be said that Alec can double, so, while Noish is going to do little damage with a magic sword, Alec can do that "little damage" twice in a round.

I didn't mention that, but yes, that's correct.

I tend to leave most equipment on the unit that first gets it, so it's not something I'd think of doing.

I didn't mention that, but yes, that's correct.

I tend to leave most equipment on the unit that first gets it, so it's not something I'd think of doing.

If I think about, I'll tell you how effective it is when I'll try it on my 3rd FE4 playthrough ;)

Would you care if I gave ratings for the first two units, even if you already counted them?

Also, what would be the lowest I can rate a unit, I need to know for Ardan.

Alec's more reliable than Noish but his damage output really struggles later on. He can contribute a fair bit early on and if you promote him he can really get work done in Chapter 3. Pursuit is a good skill to have and his speed is passable enough to double anyone except swordfighters. He makes recruiting Ayra slightly less painful and is generally a passable dad for most kids. He also has a really rad turban.

6.5/10. He got the extra 0.5 for his turban.

Would you care if I gave ratings for the first two units, even if you already counted them?

Also, what would be the lowest I can rate a unit, I need to know for Ardan.

Poor Ardan xD

I think the minimal rating would be 1/10, but you can kill it further to 0.5/10 with negative bias, just in case.

And since you're not the only one who asked, I'll accept to update the ratings for Sigurd and Noish. So, what are your ratings for these two?

Sigurd is a solid 10/10 as many other people have said.
All around good, can do most of the work in his own game, only downside is low resistance, which doesn't come into play too often, as you don't fight mages regularly enough in Gen 1 where it would be an issue.

So yea, 10/10 nothing bad to say here.

I like using Noish a lot, he has issues that can be easily fixed, no one else is really struggling too hard in the skill and speed department, and Gen 1 enemies get weighed down a ton, so rings can fix Noish's issues, without too much of a loss. Pursuit ring really helps him if you want to invest in that, makes good use of it, too.

Good bulk to sponge a few hits.

He's alright, he's not winning any best unit awards but he's definitely not the worst unit ever.
Good father too.

I'll give him a solid 6/10, 6.5/10 with bias.

Sigurd: 10/10
Stomps on the entire game with little to no support. He can singlehandedly solo the game if he wanted to. Anything below a 10/10 is completely false.

Noish: 6/10
Solid skills, but really would like Pursuit, too. He's a good candidate for using the Pursuit Ring as he puts it to good use. Unfortunately he gets outshined by other units pretty quickly, but if he sees some use, he isn't too bad. He makes for a good father, too.

Since I missed the last two. . .

Noish - I'd give him a 5/10. Being on a horse is nice, wielding a sword is nice, but that's about all he's notable for. Getting crits is okay, too.

Alec - 6/10. Mostly it's the same problems as Noish, but he has better skills, which means it isn't quite as big of a pain in the ass to get him going.

Alec isn't much better than Noish, but at least he has Pursuit. Nihil doesn't do much other then Aira-bait, but at least it doesn't hurt him. His bad strength does hurt him, though. He really isn't doing much damage. You could give him a lance, but then he won't double the faster enemies. (not that there's much of those...)

He gets a 5/10. At least he has Pursuit.

Our Turban-lover cavalier got an average of 5.93/10 with a total of 15 votes, which is a bit better than Noish, at least. But...

It's time, folks. It's time to praise Arden!

Class: Sword Armor (Level 3)
Holy Blood: None
Personal Skills: Vantage

Class Skills: Great Shield (Promotion)
Stats:
36 HP (90%)
13 Strength (50%)
5 Skill (10%)
4 Speed (20%)
13 Defense (40%)
0 Resistance (5%)
3 Luck (10%)

My thoughts: Wow. Even if I tried, I'm not sure that I could make a worse unit! First, he's a low movement unit in Genealogy of the Holy War. Second, he has no means of double attacking without any outside help. Third, his promotions gains are awful. Four, Any stat that isn't Power, Defense and HP are abysmal. Five, even in these stats, he's eaten by another unit in every single way excluding base stats (Lex). Six, said Lex has Paragon as a bonus to Vantage Seven, Lex also has the movement advantage. And finally, he makes for an awful father, except maybe Taillte (Wrath+Ambush) and when paired with the castle gate.

And yet, I'm not even mad at him, because it's not really his fault. The dude's nice enough, has good weapon ranks after promotion and Great Shield, has almost perfect availability (can't reach an enemy on the first turn...) and still gets you the Pursuit Ring if you know how to get it, but that's about it. Ardan is just comically bad, and that's kinda sad. I'll give him a 1.5/10. Even with the Power of Pursuit, our savior Arden cannot escape this sad fate. At least, not for me.

Edited by OliKad

Bad movement.

Bad promotion gains.

No movement on promotion.

Bad father.

Way too much effort needed to make him mediocre instead of awful.

Somehow awful with perfect availability.

If you promote him, he won't ever keep up, as every other class gains move on promotion. So what's the point of training him at all.

I can't even say he protected a castle that one time because the only time you need a castle protected in gen 1 badly you should be sending an archer instead.

I can't give him a 0/10

So I give him a solid 1/10 because he can pick up a pursuit ring, which he will promptly sell to someone actually useful.

I give a bias of -0.5, because he is literally the embodiment of depression itself, which I cannot reward with a bias point.

Got a solid 0.5/10 from me.

THINGS ARDAN DOES:

- Staying behind to guard the castle

- Get the Pursuit Ring

. . .yeah, that sucks.

1/10 for me, terrible class + slightly less terrible skills + terrible growths = a unit that isn't going anywhere (literally)

2/10

If nothing else he can stay behind and let staffers use him for EXP since he's available from the very beginning you'll always have him. The pursuit ring is also a nice boon to him. Not the worst unit in my opinion although still really bad.

To be quite honest, Ardan is a mixed bag for me.

He manges to attack and dodge enemies during the Prologue and Chapter 1, and being an armor knight, has nice defense.

Unfortunately, by chapter 2 he's the 'too slow to move" guy. In fact, that's the problem with every foot unit (because 'Horse' Emblem), and Ardan suffers the worst from it. However, I don't care much for turn count, so my opinion on Ardan isn't much changed by this fact.

He also gets a Pursuit Ring, so that's a plus, although it's better to give the ring to a much better unit like Lewyn. Oh, and he can guard the castle( which I barely do)

In the end, he gets a 6/10.

Pursuit Ring is debatably the most useful ring anyone in Gen I picks up, so anyone who gives Ardan a 0 is wrong. He's at least a 1.

He's an okay parent, but he's basically just a worse Lex in that regard. Still, not a terrible dad.

1/10, +.5 bias because he makes me laugh my ass off. 1.5/10

ardan uh fights a few things in the prologue, then doesn't really have an opportunity to do anything else. He would be able to fight okay in chapter 2 (towards the sleep staff castle) but he has to go get the pursuit ring which takes him out of the chapter. He's really bad though, I don't believe in giving units credit for items they get, so he gets a 0.5/10 for helping Alec/Noish get exp in the prologue.

He's really slow and immobile, but Ardan can function a lot better than people give him credit for. He really struggles with damage output and has no ways outside of the Hero Sword and Pursuit ring to attack more than once. Still, with the pursuit ring, he actually doubles everything that doesn't use a sword or a wind tome. He's pretty tanky too, but by the time he promotes the generation is over.

2.5/10, including a bonus for being a LOVELY THWOMP.

To be quite honest, Ardan is a mixed bag for me.

He manges to attack and dodge enemies during the Prologue and Chapter 1, and being an armor knight, has nice defense.

Unfortunately, by chapter 2 he's the 'too slow to move" guy. In fact, that's the problem with every foot unit (because 'Horse' Emblem), and Ardan suffers the worst from it. However, I don't care much for turn count, so my opinion on Ardan isn't much changed by this fact.

He also gets a Pursuit Ring, so that's a plus, although it's better to give the ring to a much better unit like Lewyn. Oh, and he can guard the castle( which I barely do)

In the end, he gets a 6/10.

HERESY!

Actually, to be honest, all of what you said is still true: he does have nice defense and is quite cool for the first two chapters that are just glorified Axe-lands, and it's also true that you can MAYBE make him work if you're really patient.

Problem is, Lex outdoes his tanking job by a long shot in long term AND has the movement to keep up with your army. And there's not just that, because let's not forget that many other sword-locked fighters (Ayra, Holyn, Beowulf, even Alec) can dogde most axe attacks anyway, so I personally don't really see the point.

Still, it's nice to see him getting some credit for a change. :)

(Appropriate music)

It's Thwomp Arden! And OH BOY he is terrible. When using him he's slower than all but the healers and Azel, and all he can do is one attack each time. He can barely do his job as a guard of the castle, and mages and mounts laugh at him.

He does have some things going for him. He finds the Pursuit ring (Which so many units can use better, but for him it's a revelation). He at least starts with swords, which slow him down the least and give him a chance. He can get a bunch of weapons on promotion, and General can block hits (Though the gains are abysmal for FE4). But his abysmal movement, and his severely lopsided growths, make him more tanky than Noish and pretty much unable to get faster, dodgier or more accurate. And that's bad.

I'm trying to use him and I have to make him a ringwraith to make him relevant. No other unit is that weak (Not even Dew. Even Sylvia is better at fighting, when prayer activates. But she has another role). He's able to 1-round opponents though, so he can work. But he needs a lot to be relevant.

As a dad.... He's pretty terrible. Really, he doesn't work for most pairings, but he can at least be a decent choice for Ayra's kids or even Brigged's (Much as that's probably not for the best, the pursuit ring will at least be passed right away), but they want better. Lex still utterly outclasses him as a dad, and he's just poor overall.

I'll give him a 1 for the power of pursuit Pursuit ring, and a 0.5 out of the fact that he at least has a bit of growths and is the castle paperweight.

1.5/10 to Arden.

Edited by Dayni

HERESY!

Actually, to be honest, all of what you said is still true: he does have nice defense and is quite cool for the first two chapters that are just glorified Axe-lands, and it's also true that you can MAYBE make him work if you're really patient.

Problem is, Lex outdoes his tanking job by a long shot in long term AND has the movement to keep up with your army. And there's not just that, because let's not forget that many other sword-locked fighters (Ayra, Holyn, Beowulf, even Alec) can dogde most axe attacks anyway, so I personally don't really see the point.

Still, it's nice to see him getting some credit for a change. :)

I agree about Lex being way better than Ardan, especially since he uses axes and ch2 and 3 are all about lances so he gains a weapon advantage (although it doesn't make much of a difference), while Ardan is stuck with swords, facing weapon disadvantage for ch2 and 3.

And while Ardan is inferior to most other sword locked fighters, I disagree about Alec being better than him, as he has more strength than him, as well as the defense to survive in chapter2 and 3, although Alec does dodge more than him. However it is true to say that almost everyone including Alec surpasses him in the case of movement, and that's his major flaw.

Arden. Poor, poor Arden. He's an armour knight! ...In the game where being an armour is a terrible idea! His strength and defense are alright, but everything else is awful. Can't get anywhere. Can't double. Faster enemies laugh at him. He has Vantage, I guess... not that he's gonna do much with that first strike. At least his convos were funny and he can use lots of weapons if he promotes I guess.

2/10 +0.5 bias for POWER OF PURSUIT for 2.5/10.

Noish: 6/10. Gets a while to get going but can be great.

Alec: 5/10. Not as good as Noish but decent. Pursuit is great but low strength kinda ruin him.

And now, the main event:

Arden: Man, poor Arden. Stuck in a game where mounted units are god like, this guy has everything against him. Low movement, bad bases, no utility outside of one item, only one mediocre skill to pass down, nearly nothing is salvageable. I don't know if he was intentionally made terrible given he's made fun of even in-game, but either way, he's terrible. 2/10 and that's only because of Pursuit Ring utility.