Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

With a new record of 20 votes, Azel received the low rating of 4.75/10, making him the 2nd worst unit so far. If only he got his horse earlier...

For our 7th day, we'll kickoff the Lenster brigade with none other than Cuan!
-------
Class: Duke Knight

Holy Blood: Major Noba
Personal Skills: Continue

Class Skills: None
34 HP (110%)
16 Strength (50%)
0 Magic (5%)
10 Skill (30%)
10 Speed (40%)
10 Defense (50%)
3 Resistance (5%)
5 Luck (10%)

My thoughts: Cuan is the first potential legendary weapon use of your team - excluding Sigurd -, so he has automatic access to every lances that isn't the enemy-only Gungnir, so that's an automatic plus. furthermore, he joins you with great availability (or so it seems...), solid base stats - especially his devilish Strength - and some actually decent growth for a prepromote, and he actually manages to break the 100% cap in HP. However, his combat potential is not as its best since he lacks Pursuit, but he does have at least Continue. Thus, because of lance's heavy weight and his not that great speed, he'll still rarely attack twice. On the flip side, this does give him a unique niche: he's great for weakening units that others can finish off, while recieving little damage thanks to his solid defense. And, to top it all off, he's on a horse! ^^

Like I said, he is one of the first heirs of a legendary weapon: the Gae Bolg. Even if it's arguably one of the weakest weapons, it's still fantastic, with +10 Power, Skill and Defense, which can result in a guaranteed 56 attack for him, no matter what. Sadly, this is where the problems start with him. He'll only be able to use it for the last part of the 3rd chapter. But most importantly, he'll leave permanently your army at the start of Chapter 4, which reduces considerably his availability, and that sucks.

Still, he's an important member of your team and generally good in combat and will very rarely die. Plus, he and Ethlyn are very cute together. :3
So I'll give him a 7/10, and I know it will seem pretty low for some, but oh well...

Edited by OliKad

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quan's a bit similar to Lex: He's a powerhouse and can tank a little bit. His bases and growths are pretty good for FE4 standards. Adept is very nice on him and makes it possible to oneround lots of enemies. However I find Lex a bit better than Quan simply because he's the only axeuser of Gen. 1 till Lachesis's promotion, has paragon and free access to a brave axe. Cuan only could buy Fin's brave lance which works better on faster units like Fury. And Quan isn't available for the last two chapters of part 1.

7 / 10

Cuan is fantastic. He's tied with Sigurd for the most mobility on the team for a long time, and he's very bulky and hits very hard, anything that he proc's continue on will die unless it's a boss. Lack of pursuit isn't much of an issue when he does equal or more damage in one hit than most of your team does in two hits. Has a handy support with Ethlin that augments his offence even farther. He starts and finishes as Sigurd's runningmate during his entire availability, he's your second best unit until at least the end of chapter 2 unless you somehow manage to promote Lex before chapter 2. I'll give him a 9.5 (with .5 bias), since he really is that good. It's pretty funny that he gets his holy weapon and then none of the enemies will attack him because his defence is too high.

Quan is your typical early pre-promoted unit. His lack of pursuit may not have him be able to one round enemies but he can use that to his advantage by severely weakening most enemies while letting others clean up the leftovers. Adept comes in handy but it's not that reliable and may cause him to steal kills.

7/10, no bias

Ah, Cuan (that Q looks awful). Total cutie taken by Ethlyn. . .ahem. He's quite tanky, can wield a Javelin for the 1-2 range that Sigurd doesn't have, and has a lover crit in the form of Ethlyn. His biggest downfall is that he runs off before Gen 1 is over. No, he doesn't care about his lack of Pursuit, either, because he'll get plenty of EP experience just by being a wall.

7.5/10, with a bit of cute guy bias thrown in (be VERY afraid when it's Midir's turn)

Cuan is my homie. He really isn't a typical "prepromote", at least no more than Sigurd is, given he 1: doesn't suck up EXP due to the fact he still comes at a low level, and 2: has FANTASTIC growths for the most part.

He comes in beefy, and between his amazing strength and the steel lance he starts with, really packs a punch. He can take down a tough enemy or soften them up for a weaker character to score a kill on easily. He gives Finn the awesome Hero's Lance, and even gets to swing the Gae Bolg around a little bit before leaving early. Really, that is Cuan's only big drawback for me: you only have him for 3/5 of the story, which really blows. He's a taste of power that's swiftly taken away from you.

That aside though, he's a cool character that's basically RNG proof and is very useful in both offensive and defensive roles. Despite coming promoted, he absolutely defies the Jeigan trope in every regard, and hell given G1's significantly lower stat creep than G2's, doesn't even really fit the Oifaye trope of "good but overshadowed". Cuan is Cuan, and there's no one else quite like him. 8/10, only reason he isn't a 10 is no pursuit and leaves the story midway through.

Actually, make that an 8.5, because he managed to marry Ethlyn, and Ethlyn is a cute.

Cuan is fantastic. He's tied with Sigurd for the most mobility on the team for a long time, and he's very bulky and hits very hard, anything that he proc's continue on will die unless it's a boss. Lack of pursuit isn't much of an issue when he does equal or more damage in one hit than most of your team does in two hits. Has a handy support with Ethlin that augments his offence even farther. He starts and finishes as Sigurd's runningmate during his entire availability, he's your second best unit until at least the end of chapter 2 unless you somehow manage to promote Lex before chapter 2. I'll give him a 9.5 (with .5 bias), since he really is that good. It's pretty funny that he gets his holy weapon and then none of the enemies will attack him because his defence is too high.

I'm going to agree with this but do more a 9/10, I think he's overall a great unit and wingman for any charge that Sigurd does.

Ah, Cuan (that Q looks awful). Total cutie taken by Ethlyn. . .ahem. He's quite tanky, can wield a Javelin for the 1-2 range that Sigurd doesn't have, and has a lover crit in the form of Ethlyn. His biggest downfall is that he runs off before Gen 1 is over. No, he doesn't care about his lack of Pursuit, either, because he'll get plenty of EP experience just by being a wall.

7.5/10, with a bit of cute guy bias thrown in (be VERY afraid when it's Midir's turn)

Sigurd can use lances! (if he feels like it...). There's even a second javelin in chapter 1.

So, 3 turns in the Lenster crew rolls in led by Cuan. All of them are useful, and Cuan is immediately the strongest.

Cuan is fierce decent, being a bulky unit who can dish serious pain right away, while taking damage even from the axes early on well. He's your other choice for distracting Ayra, so long as you unequip him. Skill wise, he's lacking Pursuit, which does hurt him later on, but he's already got a strong swing. Continue however is not going to count too much for him with his unexceptional speed and lances. This has the benefit of making him more of a Jeigan than Sigurd, where he can severely hurt an opponent and allow someone like Fin or the Chalphy cavs to finish them off. He's one of 3 units who can use Silvers in G1 (Fin and Lachesis have to promote obviously). He makes Fin more useful (so he has that impact for both generations). From Chapter 2 he's really helpful with all the lances around as the Jeigan. Really, it's a shame he leaves after chapter 3, so availability does hurt his usefulness. Especially when he gets the Gae Bolg essentially just when the pirates show up, so you didn't even get it for the Cross Knights. Wow, Ethlin really should have reminded him before that. Even so, the Gae Bolg has good power, accuracy and tanking though its boosts, making him a force to be reckoned with at the end of Chapter 3 (and even Chapter 5 if you get lucky).

And while people will find me bringing up kids for him and Ethlin irrelevant, he still has 2. Altenna is his major child, and she's essentially Cuan + (some growths in general, flight, Critical and Pursuit). His items do pass down, so decide what she can get before Chapter 3 ends. Leaf however needs continue before he promotes, as he would be essentially irrelevant if he could only attack once. (Don't worry, this doesn't really matter too much for rating, as this is a fixed impact on the game)

So, Cuan would be amazing if he was around longer, or if he got Gae Bolg sooner. He's still great and tanky, while being able to leave kills for other units. I think 8.5/10 is a good rating for him.

Edited by Dayni

I give Quan a 7/10.

To be honest, Quan is most best at chipping damage, mainly because while he can do massive damage, he can't ORKO(most of the time) enemies thanks to having no Pursuit. Quan also barely dodges enemy attacks, and its not like he has very great defense(from my experience, he can take at least 3 hits), so a healer must be near him. However, he's on a horse(and promoted, meaning more movement), so he can help a unit get out of trouble. There's also his talks with Finn, who in turn benefits by having some stats increased and getting the awesome Hero Lance. Quan is also married to Ethlyn(who's one of my favourite units), so that's a plus point. Quan also gets the legendary Gae Bolg(only for a short time tho), and that greatly increases his usefulness.

Sad that he leaves after Ch3, and if he dies before that(in Ch2, 1 or Prologue), he leaves with Ethlyn.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Cuan is as close to a Jeigan you can get in Gen 1. So what does he have going for him? Well he's got pretty good bases, pretty good growths, and insanely high attack. Sure he's only gonna hit once... but you can be sure it's gonna be a big one. He has Continue as well, on the off-chance it actually activates. He gets Gae Bolg as well... right before he leaves. Have fun overkilling pirates!

Can't really go wrong with him. 7.5/10. He'd be a solid 9+ if he had pursuit, but alas... Does he really need it?

Oh no. xD

I think he might do that once everyone is covered, lol. For now its chronological, isn't too hard to just read the score besides people's names.

Yeah, pretty much this. I'm honestly kinda lazy with that stuff, so I'll only sort the list when we're done with all of this.

From looking at people's comments, it seems that I'm underrating the hell outta Cuan (yeah, I'll change him name soon...) and overrating the hell outta Azel, which makes me kind of sad, but heh. I know I don't have the most unbiaised opinions around, so...

No keep it as Cuan. Idk why NoA or whatever spelled it with a Q, it looks so bad. :'|

#oldpatchbias

Also, don't feel bad for Azel, I rated him highly and so did a few others. He's clearly a very polarizing character!

Edited by CappnRob

10/10, if he doesn't die he makes it so you can't beat the game, too good

He's pretty good, has nice bulk, and great movement rivaling only Sigurd's at the time.

No Pursuit, but he doesn't really need it, he can deal a ton of damage and soften up crowds easily.

Has nice skills even if he doesn't have Pursuit.

If he had Pursuit I'd give him a 10/10, but he doesn't, so I'll give him a 8.5, 9 with bias.

Cuan, being already promoted, really enjoys the benefits of increased base stats and a higher move base. His chip damage is insane and he really helps to facilitate some fast clears that you otherwise wouldn't be able to get (due to him having that high move that's only matched by Sigurd). He's decent in Prologue (he just does Cuan things which is great but nothing particularly noteworthy unless you're LTCing) but he really shines in Chapter 1, wherein he has THREE MOVE in the Spirit Forest (which is a godsend even in casual play). He's great in the first half of the chapter itself, I guess, but I prefer to just have Finn ORKO everything with a Steel Lance and some "choice" Str procs. He's really great in Chapter 2 where you're hurting for some bulky units with high move and he delivers. If you choose to do so, his offence can become ridiculous with the Hero Lance, but honestly the Silver Lance is more than you'll ever need with him (whilst Fin really benefits from the Hero Lance). Chapter 3 is more of the same with Chapter 2, although at this point a lot of your other mounts have caught up. This doesn't obsolete him, but it makes his contributions a lot less noteworthy. Overall, I'd give him an 8/10. His contributions in Chapters 1 and 2 are fantastic, but he's not particularly noteworthy in Prologue (again, outside of LTC) and is overshadowed in Chapter 3. He's a point higher than Lex because even when he's not at his best, he's more useful than Lex.

Edited by Refa

He's decent in Prologue (he just does Cuan things which is great but nothing particularly noteworthy unless you're LTCing)

To be honest, he doesn't change much on that map in LTC. Sigurd and Ethlyn pretty well destroy that map without much help and everything Quan can do in that map can be substituted by Sigurd and Ethlyn in some way.

8.5/10 for Quan. Great movement, crit bonus with Ethlyn, gives Finn stat boots and a super-lance. Good for setting up kills for others to clean up and can take a fair amount of damage. His holy weapon is fun for the five minutes you get to use it, and then it and he go bye-bye. Too bad he doesn't get it earlier in Chapter 3. Great but not perfect.