Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

So would I still be able to post my rankings of the previous character? In some SSLPTestposter posts, so that there isn't a huge wall of text here?

No problem! I don't mind updating the overall ratings, so do as you please! ^^

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's basically a healbot for the first half of her existence. She only really has chapters 4 and 5 to shine, if she's promoted, but she's one of the few units that stay relevant. Sigurd doesn't really need the charisma boost but it's pretty neat to have. Her main issue is that you need to do some work to get her promoted by chapter 4, otherwise she ends up pretty unremarkable.

5/10

Lachesis is a character I have a love/hate relationship with. Definitely interesting with some juicy expanded story in the Judgral Saga such as her possible romantic feelings for her own brother plus having a fling with Beowulf while also being in love with Finn and all that crazy goodness.... but sadly she's a real pain in the ass character to get the full use of mechanically. She comes early-mid game, at a low level with low bases, and sadly unlike other characters in her station, has not been able to get a lead on things by punching axedudes in the face (plus again the whole 2 chapters later deal). She CAN heal which helps by miles as she can be spammed out to grind for exp, but this is still a bit tedious. Plus, it means dividing your staffs even thinner among your previous three (or really just two given Deirdre is such a non entity in the game mechanically) which can be troublesome.

That all said, she MORE than makes up for it if you can reach promotion with her. Her somewhat lackluster growths are more than compensated by the Master Knight's INSANE promotion gains, though it's doubtful she'll ever reach their equally insane stat caps (except for strength anyway). She gains access to every weapon you can use in the game and can use the very BEST of these weapons to boot, and pursuit, so she can smack bitches twice and call it nice with high grade weaponry. More than anyone else really, Lachesis is very much an investment character - but that investment hill is quite steep.

As a mother, Lachesis shines very well though. Her daughter is a healer and her son is a mounted sword user and thanks to Hezul blood they will never be lacking in strength, which means her father pool is fairly flexible for interesting play styles. Finn and Beowulf are the typical go-tos for well balanced and strong children, offering either prayer or duel as their unique skills depending on what the player favors (combat potential vs survivability), though Finn is a difficult pair on his end. Azel's Vala blood makes Nana a great healer instead of just an okish one, and makes Delmud a great magic swordsman.

Oh, and she spares you from being brutally savaged by Eldigan in the middle of chapter 3. That's pretty useful. And a semi-useful ring but it requires babysitting her bodyguards along with a lot of luck and holding Lachesis back even more than you already are. Oh, and two different useful swords - thief and earth. Goddamn Lachesis brings in the goods, doesn't she?

All in all, Lachesis is.... 8.5/10 for me. She's really hard for me to rate, honestly - there's a lot to get out of her, but she starts out significantly gimped and without an easy means of getting that full potential. Other investment characters like Azel come much earlier and can dropkick easy picking enemies for an early game boost (as well as having access to more arena fights for what that's worth).On the other hand, as a mother she's essential to make use out of if you want her children to start off good, and the rewards for using her are massive: a ring, two swords, and being spared a total ass kicking at the hands of Eldigan really put her up over the curve. Tough that difficulty curve I say!

So would I still be able to post my rankings of the previous character? In some SSLPTestposter posts, so that there isn't a huge wall of text here?

It should be fine. Just spoiler the text, and indicate there's scores there.

And now we get to a person who really loves their family. REALLY loves him.

Lachesis has to be recruited by talking to her on her castle. And most likely, Sigurd will be stuck in front of her on that turn, so she's already getting stuck. Which is a shame because she can both heal and fight. Unfortunately, the moment she starts moving, the cross knights do as well. This is a pain in the ass as they're powerful enough to take experience but not invincible, and they give a knight ring afterwards IF they all live (which can only be gotten here!). In Lanceland. As if I hadn't enough to worry about. Regardless, irrelevant to Lachesis herself, but something that should indicate my thoughts on her in game. I think she gets tied to some annoying moments, which doesn't help her character or as a unit. And of course, this ties into her starting without a horse. And having pretty meh growths in general. And no combat skills. At the very least, she can staffbot and do damage with the prayer sword (Which I am convinced doesn't have prayer. Dumb ass lying sword). And at least she's the first charismabot, so being near combat is fine for her and helps others. And she also gets events to give her a bit more. Dew gives a thief sword to her, which does help her with getting money to repair things (with its accuracy of 50 :P). Beowolf gives her a boost to stats (which is appreciated on her) and Eltshan (her no. 1 forever love :P) gives her the Earth Sword (And he leaves. That is worth this talk). Which would be amazing if it came from Thracia 776. But has 10 uses total here. Just. WHAT. It also doesn't help that it can be such a slog to get her promoted without special treatment (e.g. giving the return staff to her to spam, the Paragon Ring). But oh my, it is great. Master Knight gives Pursuit, A rank to every weapon except Dark (none) and Light ©, +7 in Strength, Skill and Defence (and 4 Speed), a horse and caps of 27 across the board (barring magic and res at 22). The issue is that without preferential treatment, she'll be lucky to have it during, never mind before chapter 4. And investing combat in her pretty much means that other units will lose out on experience, as staff spamming isn't cheap. But if she gets there, she'll be capable for the rest of G1, easily.

If there is one thing to take solace in, it's that at the very least, Charisma allows for her to have some role in this game even if you decide that she's not worth it as a unit. The one issue is that it takes effect in 3 tiles of her. In FE4. (At one point I was going to get into discussing incest and how it comes up with her in particular, but it didn't seem appropriate for this, and probably should be for another time)

Well, as for pairings, seeing as neither kid gets Pursuit on their own, that would be an obvious choice when it comes to pairing. And while magic would be nice for Nanna, Delmud is also an option for a magic sword, as he is a swordlocked unit that will be in the front lines. They already have good strength, so those who have that just make them more likely to cap that. They can also take magic (though Nanna wants it more, Delmud can use magic swords from the get go)

Beowolf (Pursuit and Charge are great for these two to do damage against most enemies, helping their combat. Full inheritance if promoted (good without), at least good to alright growths in all but luck and magic with monstrous HP and Strength. Love boosted by talk mentioned earlier)

Fin (Pursuit and Prayer make for a good combination for survivability, and can do well in combat. At least good growths across the board (especially luck). No inheritance, and Fin loses the lances he had when he leaves. Nanna gets a speed boost from Fin in a talk that can be done right away.)

Alec (Pursuit and Awareness help with combat and surviving Critcials (Skill or horseslayers). Similar growths to Fin (less luck), good inheritance for Delmud.)

Lex (Makes these two very tanky, good Strength and Vantage makes them good at countering and Elite makes them gain levels faster. No Pursuit or inheritance.)

Azel (Pursuit is good for their combat. Best parent for magic, makes Nanna good at staves and Delmud great with magic swords, does have some inheritance (magic swords included). Not much strength (no big deal for Nanna: bit of an issue for Delmud) or Skill (matters a bit more for both)

I'm going to rate her a 5.5/10. Getting her to Master knight is a slog, and can take serious effort, but it is a great promotion and worth it. You'll likely not have it for long enough for me to rate her higher. She also gets a lot of events, some of which are frustrating to get.

Raquesis/Lachesis/Whateveryoucallhersis is a staffbot upon recruitment. If you want the Knight Ring, you want her to keep distance from the frontlines, since her three NPC knights are always trying to fight Agustrians at any moment. When she's promoted, she becomes a competent fighter. Her charisma skill is helpful when besieging castles. 7/10

Just an aside, but I always have Finn killing blow Shagall for his Silver Blade so Delmud gets it in G2 (as I always pair Finn with Lachesis). Food for thought if you don't mind missing out on the Silver Blade for G1.

Raquesis is awful initially, tough she can be a staffbot.

Howeverh, She begins to shine when she promotes: yes, she will be promoted for only the last two chapters most of the time, but being able to use every normal weapon in the game + the bonus stats she gets thanks to the promotion and the skill pursuit which, again, she obtains when promoting makes her a lot more useful and quite the valuable unit.

6.0/10

Although the votes weren't as polarized as usual for foot units standards, Lachesis still got an okay rating of 6.47/10 after 17 votes.

Now, if you want to vote for this poll, you'll have to hand me 10 000$, or else your vote will be worth nothing in my eyes...

Get it? Cause it's Beowulf's turn and it's supposed to be a joke and... *ahem* Let's go further into chapter 2 with the first Free Knight in the series, Beowulf! ^^

Class: Free Knight (Level 9)
Holy Blood: None
Personal Skills: Pursuit, Charge

Class Skills: Continue (After Promotion)
Stats:
38 HP (80%)
14 Strength (40%)
0 Magic (5%)
11 Skill (40%)
11 Speed (30%)
10 Defense (20%)
0 Resistance (5%)
3 Luck (20%)

My thoughts: To make it short, he's good, but not outstanding. It's kind of a bummer that you have to pay to recruit him, but when you do, he'll do his job just fine. His base HP and Power are good enough, but the rest of his stats are kinda eh otherwise, and he does join at a sort of low level. This is especially bad for a sword-locked unit like him - even if he has a holy poney -, because he joins in Chapter 2, where lance users start to be much more frequent. But, he does come with some solid growths, barring Defence, Luck and Res, at least. As far as skills go, this is where it starts to get interesting. He comes naturally with Pursuit and Charge, which makes him already very likely to strike more than twice in a round of combat, and with his good Power, this is a good thing! And to top it all off, he'll eventually gain Continue! What does that all mean? Well, he'll have all three multi-attack skills in his possession after promoting, and that's just freakin' awesome (at least for me...). Speaking of, his Promotion is probably what makes him pass from competent to actually very good: not only does he gain Continue like I mentioned, but he'll also obtain one of the best gains in the whole series, including an awesome +6 Speed and a overkill 9 Skill. That's just epic!

So yeah, kinda like Lachesis, his promotion is what makes him great, though in not as much of a degree as the former, so there's that. To sum it off, he's good enough when unpromoted, but is suddenly pretty epic when he reaches Level 20, but it is a bit annoying to make him go there. So with all that said, I'll rate him a 7.5/10 with Negative bias, because just like with Midayle, I haven't exactly got the best experiences with him...

He has the problem of being Swordlocked but he at least makes up for it by being mounted, having solid skills, having solid stats and a decent promotion. Not the best unit around but at least he goes places.

7/10

Beowulf is good on paper but practically, he's not that great. He has good skills, uses swords and is mounted, but his late join time means he's low on gold/items, and is a little underlevelled. He struggles in the arena too, further hindering him. He's pretty decent in chapter 4/5 (a little better than Alec/Noish) but they've existed for two and a half chapters longer than Beowulf, which is something people are overlooking imo. I'll give him a 4.5/10.

Beowulf is better than Turban and Nose when it comes to numbers, but he isn't that much better and their early game contributions are the best they've got. He would be a good candidate for the Hero Sword if everyone and their grandma wasn't ahead of him in the line. Swords are probably the best weapon to be locked into, but he's facing a whole bunch of competition for the good ones. I don't think he can actually talk properly to anyone other than Lachesis too.

4/10

Finally, the last of the units superior to the Chalphy knights (Noish, whose time has come). Though Beowolf could be worse if Noish was blessed and given the Pursuit Ring.

Beowolf has to be picked up from his mercenary crew in Chapter 2. The first thing to note is that his strength and HP growth are actually pretty good. Then you look at everything else, including his speed and skill being low enough he might not proc (so it goes with G1). And he's swordlocked, with Chapter 3 still ahead. However, he has a couple of things, like a horse and Pursuit. So those are good. Charge would be good on him if he was a bit tankier, but it is able to bite him in the ass as a result. He is also limited when fighting certain groups like the cross knights. The problem is, he's not an exceptional unit and he can be ignored because of this. At least his gains are fantastic: some defence, res and strength on top of 6 Speed and 9 Skill. And it's not like he's terrible as a unit.

As a dad, he's a mixed bag. There's no point in pairing him with Fury or Sylvia. He's a possible option for Aideen and Tiltyu, though this is just for his skills and his growths aren't great for at least one of their kids (Lester mightn't complain) and they have no inheritance. For Ayra, he passes weapons, Charge and growths that covers some of their issues, but not defence in particular. As for Brigged, he gives Patty a good combination of inheritance, early Pursuit and Charge (which Faval also gets) and growths that... sort of work. Patty would like more than Strength and HP, and Faval in particular wants skill. He's the best pairing for Lachesis at least, with a good combination of skills and growths for the two, and full inheritance.

So, Beowolf gets a 6/10. He's pretty late for G1, doesn't have too much to make him stand out, but he's still a horse in FE4. Plus best pairing for Lachesis in gameplay.

5/10

Can't remember a single time where I thought to myself "wow, I'm really glad Beowulf's in the party!" By the time he starts becoming good at what he's doing you have Sigurd, Master Knight Lachesis, Mage Knight Azel, Promoted Chalphy Knights, promoted Fury, promoted Midir and the great support of Sylvia to take care of everything that needs to be taken care of. His contributions are alright but the main thing he's good for is being Delmud's and Nanna's father.

Oh hey it's.....the not so memorable unit of the whole game. 7/10 should be fine.

To be honest, Beowulf is the most unmemorable unit of the whole game. His only significance is in Ch2, cuz he at least has some dialogue there. Kinda like Noish, who has dialogue in just the Prologue (correct me if I'm wrong). Even Alec and Arden have more dialogue than them.

Beowulf is also the first Free Knight of the series. But isn't that great. He's just average. He sometimes dodges, sometimes not. He does decent damage. He can take some hits. He's on a horse. He has Pursuit and Charge, and gets Continue after promotion. A good father for Lachesis' kids. After promotion, he becomes quite strong, but any character that promotes in this game becomes super awesome, so yeah he just turns super good. Oh, and he takes your money, in order to recruit him.

That's pretty much it. I can't remember much of this guy to say much about him

Beowulf is kinda just there. You have to throw 10,000 gold at him to even get him on your side, what with him being a mercenary for hire and all that. So what does this payment do for us? We get a decidedly average cavalier. He has alright strength and some crazy promo bonuses (+9 skill anyone) but he's never essential or anything. He does have a horse at least, along with the ever-important Pursuit. But he's around as useful as the mounted Chalphy Chumps, combining Noish's Charge and Alec's Pursuit to get a unit that is the same use as both. Yay, Charge on a melee unit. Woo.

In a word: meh. 5/10.

Oh hey it's.....the not so memorable unit of the whole game. 7/10 should be fine.

To be honest, Beowulf is the most unmemorable unit of the whole game. His only significance is in Ch2, cuz he at least has some dialogue there. Kinda like Noish, who has dialogue in just the Prologue (correct me if I'm wrong). Even Alec and Arden have more dialogue than them.

Beowulf is also the first Free Knight of the series. But isn't that great. He's just average. He sometimes dodges, sometimes not. He does decent damage. He can take some hits. He's on a horse. He has Pursuit and Charge, and gets Continue after promotion. A good father for Lachesis' kids. After promotion, he becomes quite strong, but any character that promotes in this game becomes super awesome, so yeah he just turns super good. Oh, and he takes your money, in order to recruit him.

That's pretty much it. I can't remember much of this guy to say much about him

You're sort of wrong. The only other convos that Noish has is with his potential lovers, but unlike Alec and Ardan, that's it. No Sylvia flirting nor Power of Pursuit shenanigans for him. :P

Yeah, I think Noish is even less remarkable than Beowulf character-wise...

^Oh, so Noish has lover convos? Well, I never paired him with anyone so I didn't know lol. My bad.

But yeah, Pink is way less significant or remarkable than...almost every other unit in the whole game. At least he's memorable, since he's of the Cain archtype, and is handsome.

^ You really should pair him up with Ayra someday. Their kids will have so many skills, including Critical. It's awesome! :D

Beowulf joins not only quite underleveled, but also in the wrong chapter as he joins sword-locked when the game decides to throw at you enemy lance-users. He does have some things going for him tough: he has a Mount and possesses Pursuit, probably the most useful skill in the game, and Charge, which can both "kill him" or "save him". His promotion bonuses are also pretty good. That's it tough, there aren't other things that makes him important.

I think I'll give him a 5/10.