Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

7/10

She doesn't get road bonuses but I never found that to be an issue, ever. Flying utility gives her access to terrain that's not traversable for a grounded unit which is very useful in all the Chapters she's fully available in - crossing water, mountain ranges, desert, ... that's more of a plus than the lack of road bonus is a minus for her. It's not like she really struggles to keep up in terms of movement or needs to be at the absolute forefront at all times to make herself useful. She has good bases and immediate access to all sorts of great weapons, later she can heal as well. The only thing that really hurts is her availability - 3 chapters, one of which can be finished in as little as 9 turns really limits how much use you can make of her.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And with the 21st unit (and nearly half way through G1), we finally have a Pegasus rider. That's odd for FE in general, but what's not odd is that said unit is into a prince!

Fury is your only flying unit in G1, and one that requires you returning Levin to Evans pretty much the moment you can get Ethlin/Aideen/Lachesis (if you sold Lachesis one of the staves) near enough to teleport him. And on paper, her growths should pretty much write her off. However, she's still got some advantages. She's a flying unit, so she can deal with non-plain/road terrain better than any other unit in G1. Obviously, this makes her useful in Chapter 3 with the pirates to help all the units you recruit there, Chapter 4 and those ranged wind mages and in Chapter 5 with Yied. One issue for her is that while she can wield swords, there are so many sword units in your army that most will be already taken. This means she'll mostly use lances, which are much slower, more inaccurate and as a result leave her in more danger (especially against bandits). She also has Pursuit (which does help her a lot). Her promotion gains are interesting (7 mag, no str, 3 skl and spd, 1 def and 5 res), in that they give her a support role with staves, some boosts to her low res and magic and Nothing for her strength, which is an issue for her, due to her unexceptional stat and low growth. The main thing she'll be doing, which I did imply with some example earlier, is reaching more difficult to reach areas, kill some threat (like bandits attacking villages, or siege mages) and then come back to the army to help further. That's a good role, though she's not exactly a unit who'll take on a force and survive, like Sigurd or promoted Lachesis. She can, when promoted, run with the army and provide a healing role (where you don't need a unit like Lachesis or the like to do so), though the best she can do is Mend staves, so mileage may vary. (She's great with the Brave Lance, but I can't count that here, can I?)

One thing that flying units don't have is road terrain to their advantage. So when it comes to areas like Chapter 3, she's likely to be slower in getting to some of the villages than other, mounted units. However, she'll still have the edge over them on non-plains terrain. And she's still got FE4 canto. Also, series obligatory bow weaknesses. (And while I am too used to Fury, Erin ain't a bad name change at all)

Her pairing is one that has a solid unit who many argue doesn't care about who his dad is (I disagree, but I've not played the game 200 times to check), and one who will like if her dad gives her a good boost growth wise as her mother has some of the worst growths in FE for the game she's in. Of course, with her role as a flying unit, she has the issue of not being near any of her pairings (e.g. all the mages (except promoted Azel) are foot units, which makes gaining love growth difficult). She also passes Pursuit, which means that she's not worrying about that for her kids. Her substitutes are also considered solid, but again, not the criteria here.

Levin (Best Sety, with Holsety (and full inheritance) and pretty good growths across the board (magic could be better and he glitches to lower speed, but he's guaranteed to cap, so eh). Fee gets Continue early and is pretty decent for dodging with Holsety blood, and some boosts to magic for magic swords/staves. She does get a +5 strength event to compensate for a low strength growth. Critical is nice if it procs. Easy to get if neither are paired before taking Silessia)

Claude (Sety will inherit all staves, gets Valkyrie and great mage tanking growths. Fee gets B staves (e.g. flying Restore tank. Now imagine she could use Rescue. That would be amazing), pretty average growths otherwise for her barring res (magic is higher than strength, and no event to fix). No skills, Claude can only pass C tomes.)

Azel (Sety can wield Bolganone, and has great magic and speed, though he's not tanking hits. Fee is pretty screwed for strength, and will probably do better with magic swords, and her other growths are unexceptional. No skills.)

Noish (Sety is tanky now, with alright to poor growths in everything except defence, strength and HP (low magic growth isn't good news). Fee has good defence, strength and HP, and doesn't really get anything exceptional besides. Charge helps these units to get a lot of hits (essentially, Sety is magical Lakche without Astra) and Critical is nice if it procs. No inheritance.)

Lex (Tanky Sety, with great HP and defence (and strength), with a poor to mediocre everything else. Fee has exceptional defence (70%, the highest in G2! (Yeah, this is weird to say)) and >100% HP, good strength, and mediocre to poor everything else. Paragon gives both the ability to get stronger faster, while Vantage means that Sety can pretty much destroy opponents in enemy phase after a bit of damage. No inheritance)

I'm going to rate her a 7.5/10 (bias because flight). As is, she's good for the roles I described, but nothing exceptional.

Edited by Dayni

Fury's growths are.... surprisingly on the low end side of things, but she comes with bases that are ridiculously high for her level. She has great utility due to being a flier, allowing her to bypass terrain to approach targets directly. She is weak to arrows as a flier and all, but by the time she joins the amount of archers you're facing are very low (with the exception of Andre's bow knights at the start of Chapter 5) so that's rarely a risk for her in the big picture. When she promotes she can use basic staves, which isn't much but a Mend staff is a guaranteed 20+ HP healed at least and the fact she flies means she can reach people with ease. It shines especially so when you get Bridget and she's surrounded by pirates everywhere.

She also has surprisingly unscrewable kids - if you favor a magic parent then Sety basically becomes a god and Fee can use magic swords and staves (esp with Claude as the father); physical fathers make Fee a more upfront fighter and Sety.... Sety is RNG proof honestly. Even with abysmal magic growths he can make good use of B rank spells and the C rank Light spell Lightning, and with most non-magical enemies offering no magic defense and guaranteed pursuit.... yeah. But, back to mama now.

Fury gets an 8 for me. Flying is useful! Good weapon variety is good! Staves on promotion is also good! RNG proof kids means flexible pairing options! Really all that holds her back is her bad growths preventing her from getting too much better than she already is, along with weird lopsided promo gains (the huge magic buff is nice but everything else is ehhhh....).

She's basically a fast Alec but she can fly too! There aren't enough archers in the game to be too worried by them. She's got a fantastic claim to the Hero Lance and generally makes good use of it. Her main problems are that her combat isn't super insanely good, and she's only really around for three chapters. Still, she's pretty decent and is one of the few units who can help out in chapter 5.

6.5/10

An AAAA Ranked run, where almost EVERYONE (if not everyone) is fighting in the Arena, and not just Sylvia.

where in the seven hells are you fitting 15+ turns to grind 100 kills on the slim sword while getting A tactics

Edited by CT075

Man, time to catch up.

Holyn: Not bad, but inferior in every way to Ayra, specially because Astra > Luna. 6/10

Raquesis: Starts off fragile but all you need is give her some cash for Paragon Ring, let her do some staff spamming, and watch her promote to one of the best units in the game. Great healing utility as well. And she gets a horse. Fantastic unit. 9/10

Lewyn: Probably the best foot unit. Great stats and amazing personal weapon, but man, he's still a foot unit. 8/10

Sylvia: She dances. And refreshes four units at once. Do I need to say more? 9/10

Beowolf: Ugh. This guy. He kinda falls into the ether of Gen 1 in the sense he's so unmemorable. He passes down Pursuit so that's a plus and I can give him credit for at least being durable, but I usually never bother with him. My least favorite mounted unit. 4.5/10

Fury/Erin: She loves to fly, and it shows. She's the only flying unit in Gen 1 so she has great utility and she's decent enough as a combat unit. 8.5/10

Standard Green Haired Pegasus Chick has great bases upon recruitment, but has weak growths to balance her out. She is great with the Thunder Sword and Brave Lance. Her flying can be useful on numerous occasions, like fighting Bandits, or attacking units in the mountains, and much more. 7/10

Since this topic hasn't got a single reply for almost a whole day, I decided to give Erin some extra-time. In the end, she got a 7.42/10 according to 19 voters, which is about what I expected...

Only a few units stands between us and the end of the first generation! Let's now take a look at the first of them, which I decided to be Taillte/Tiltyu!

Class: Thunder Mage (Level 3)
Holy Blood: Minor Tordo
Personal Skills: Wrath

Class Skills: Continue (after promotion)
Stats:
28 HP (60%)
0 Strength (10%)
10 Magic (20%)
15 Skill (60%)
10 Speed (40%)
1 Defense (10%)
9 Resistance (10%)
9 Luck (50%)

My thoughts: Okay, let's get that out of the way: she is factually not very good, and that's all because of her join time. She joins your army at the end of Chapter 3, where a few of your soldiers might already have promoted! Fortunately for her, she is aside a very potent healer and a good bunch of heavily-weighted pirates, so it IS possible to give her a good chunk of kills. Her bases are also really good for a level 3 unit, and are growth rates, while lacking in defensive properties, are good evasion-wise, which is good because of her personal skill: Wrath. This is probably what makes her really fun to use, since she'll really good at the arena and will EVENTUALLY win, except if the enemy has a 100% hit rate against her. I mean, a guaranteed critical when below 50% HP is nothing to laugh at. And to make matters better, she has a solid promotion that gives Continue, and that is a very nice gift.

Unfortunately, she joins very late and still has five movement, and that's REALLY bad at this point in the game. But I think that you should still train her because of her kids, well, unless you wanna have her subs instead...
So with all of that in mind, I'll give her a 5/10, because she's cute, has a interesting story behind her and is fun to use, but her join time and lack of mount still hurts her too much...

Edited by OliKad

Tiltyu needs some goodies to become amazing (magic ring, pursuit ring, pargaon ring). With a magic ring she can oneshot pretty much everything in the arena (if she attacks first). She's one of the most enjoyable mages to use in FE for me. Just leave her in wrath-range and she'll destroy.

More effective to use than Lewyn before he gets Forseti.

Pair her up with Lewyn to have two OP kids.

8 / 10

PS: I'll fix all my votes I have given yet. (tomorrow probably)

I'm replaying FE4 right now and I've a different impression of certain units now.

Tiltyu is a combat unit who starts with the same defensive stats as paragons of defensive staying power Aideen, Dew and Sylvia. Unlike these three Tiltyu wants to be a combat unit. Wrath is fun but useless and I guess she does end up bedding Levin but that's as far as she goes. 2/10

Edited by Excellen Browning

Tiltyu is bad. Simply put. She comes into play quite late in the game at a very low level and lacks Pursuit. Great. She does have one skill that makes her a bit less useless sometimes; Wrath. When she's knocked below 50% health, she automatically criticals, and a crit from Thoron is gonna hurt. Only problem is she is an incredibly squishy unit. Sure, that first pirate gets a crit to the face. Then she gets killed by pirate number two. Wonderful, yet another reset. Statwise she has lots of skill, so she's not gonna miss her attacks, but with 1 base and 10% growth, she's not taking any hits. Ever. Don't even think of it; most physical enemies in the late game will just kill her, no questions asked. Now I'd normally go on about how they're better when they promote... except I don't know, I never got her to 20. She gains staves so I suppose she can staffspam or something, but you already have plenty of those by now. Did I mention she has the dreaded 5 move? Another nail in the coffin of usefulness.

Lacks Pursuit? Check.

Incredibly squishy? Check.

Gets left in the dust? Check.

Bites the dust because her family are evil jerks? Check.

Uh... She has Wrath? That's a plus... right? She's better than Arden... maybe. He has availability. 1.5/10. Fury can do the whole "kill pirates" thing too.

These votes and comments, lol.

If only a vantage scroll existed... she could pretty much solo this game.

When I played this game the first time I had also a very low opinion of her... but now... I can make excellent use of her. Could promote her at the beginning of chapter 4 thanks to paragon arena abuse.

The only thing is that she needs investment... MUCH investment to become great.

However with the investment she's more usable in combat than some mounted units like Alec or Noish who usually only do mediocre damage to the opponents. Even the fact that they're mounted doesn't change anything except that they can take 1-2 more hits... but can't do enough damage.

I had a really good Noish in my last run, but this was an absolute exception.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

She appears really late and with a poor weapon type for the following chapter. She actually falls short of killing stuff even with Wrath and her evasion isn't reliable enough to keep her at low HP to abuse it. In a vacuum her stats are pretty OK, but coming at a point where most of your dudes are ready to promote hampers her usability. Staff utility is pretty nice, but realistically she's only promoted for final and even then there's three other units who you could rely on instead.

2.5/10 - Technically not awful, but in the context of when she arrives she's sorely outclassed.

These votes and comments, lol.

If only a vantage scroll existed... she could pretty much solo this game.

When I played this game the first time I had also a very low opinion of her... but now... I can make excellent use of her. Could promote her at the beginning of chapter 4 thanks to paragon arena abuse.

The only thing is that she needs investment... MUCH investment to become great.

However with the investment she's more usable in combat than some mounted units like Alec or Noish who usually only do mediocre damage to the opponents. Even the fact that they're mounted doesn't change anything except that they can take 1-2 more hits... but can't do enough damage.

I had a really good Noish in my last run, but this was an absolute exception.

You can put tons of investment into anyone to make them great, though. Tiltyu's a demon when promoted, yes, but the fact she has to be babied using arenas and can't even catch up to Sigurd and the other mounted units isn't winning her any points.

^ That's what I usually do.

I pass all the rings from unit to unit, but the success is quite different regarding on the stats and skills of the units.

However Tiltyu is way much easier to train than Alec and Noish for me because the combo wrath and thoron gives her kills and levels easily.

I have way more issues to train Alec and noish because they don't have special weapons or skills (critical is only good against mages). Alec is pretty weak (even power ring can't really fix it) and Noish doesn't really benefit from pursuit for being so slow.

WhiteLightning gets a 8/10 with positive bias.

Taillte is like an Est character, due to the fact she's one of the last units you get, is unpromoted, and is at level 3! But she isn't like an Est character because she doesn't have those awesome growth rates of Est characters. Anyways...

Taillte is squishy and without Pursuit. Makes you wonder why she became the bodyguard of the ever so important person that is Claude. But, Taillte uses Thunder magic, which is better than Fire magic (every magic is better than fire magic in this game, seriously). She comes with the Thoron tome, which is quite powerful. She also has Wrath, which is a really good. The skill allows her to do critical hits, if her HP is less than half (something that will commonly happen to Taillte), and thus can easily steal kills. Sure, she's not on a horse, but she can easily beat the arena thanks to Wrath, as long as she doesn't get killed. And she can kill those nasty pirates that try to attack her and Claude.

However, the main problem for Taillte is how squishy she is, and how she will often get hit. It's even difficult for her to survive the attacks of the pirates that it's necessary for either Claude to use his 'everyone healing' staff (because apparently he doesn't have a heal staff with him), or have Fury come to their rescue. But, again, she can fight, and sometimes ORKO (due to Wrath), and she uses magic, so she is capable of fighting, and avoiding hits from enemies during player phase.

Once promoted, she becomes probably one of the most interesting classes in this game: A Mage Fighter. She can now use Swords, and she generally becomes way more awesome (then again every unit in this game becomes awesome when promoted). The only problem is that why would you want Taillte to fight with a sword when she can fight well enough with Magic? After all, half of your units use swords so....yeah, she doesn't benefit much from getting a rank in swords. And I should also mention how her promoted battle sprite looks like some edited version of Lachesis's battle sprite, thus becoming less awesome.

All in all, she's cool, not too bad, just feed her EXP, there, she becomes great. Oh, and she has a tragic end. Just makes her even more likable!

Underleveled deadweight that joins way too late.

1.5/10 (+0.5 bias included since I feel bad that she had to endure some brutal as fuck bullshit after Gen 1)

My fixed votes:

Sigurd: from 9.5 to 10

Noish: from 6 to 5

Alec: still 5

Arden: still 2

Lex: still 8

Azel: from 4.5 to 3

Cuan: still 7

Ethlyn: still 8

Finn: from 8.5 to 7.5

Midir: from 7.5 to 7

Ayra: from 9 to 8.5

Dew: from 4.5 to 6

Aideen: from 6 to 7

Jamke: still 8.5

Deidre: from 3 to 2

Holyn: from 8.5 to 7.5

Lachesis: from 8.5 to 8

Beowulf: from 7 to 5.5

Lewyn: from 9 to 8.5

Sylvia: still 9

Fury: still 8

Tiltyu: still 8

And FINALLY, we're past the halfway point of G1! And with 3 units left, G1's almost done! Now, are these units exceptional?

Tiltyu has.... issues. She shows up at level 3. Near the end of Chapter 3. Her bases are good for her level, but she's still likely to be 2 hits from death against any of the pirates, hampering her growth potential out the gate (at a time where you'll be tempted to swing the Gae Bolg around for kicks). Her skills are also a bit mixed. When she promotes, she'll have Continue, so at least there's a chance of hitting more than once (Needs 17 levels first though). Before that, she has Wrath. And this is one fun skill. If you know what you're doing, as it needs her to have at most 50% of her HP to activate, and this has the obvious problem of leaving her vulnerable on enemy phase. Of course, this is in exchange for ALL attacks critting, ignoring Awareness (irrelevant for the most part, to be honest). Part of the reason dodging and Wrath is not a great strategy for her is that her defence and res have 10% growth, and she has 1 and 9 respectively in them (though her best growths do help with this, with high Skill, Luck and Speed). Obviously, in a series where most enemies are physical, this is a problem for her ability to survive. Really, if she had a certain skill (one of several), she'd be amazing. Another problem is that she doesn't do well against Wind magic, which is the main magic in Chapter 4. But if you get past her trouble with not dying, she can turn out pretty good.... once she promotes, most likely in Chapter 5 (*sad trumpet). Unlike Azel, she won't be able to ride on a horse, but she gets C in swords (useless as it is) and B rank in Wind, Fire and Staves (all more useful). And the gains are great (+3 Str, +5 Mag, +6 Spd, +4 Def and +5 Res). The trouble is, she's not exactly keeping up with the horses, so helping with healing and attacking is somewhat difficult for her if she's not keeping up somehow. And like I said, she needs some serious help to get to that point.

Tiltyu is also one of the few G1 units who get their fate confirmed in G2, and it is just depressing to think about. Also, her being Claude's guard is odd: I mean, she's a level 3 mage. It'd make more sense (and still be quite likely) that there'd be someone in Grandbell with more combat experience (because level 3 unit is a good defence plan), is quite faithful to the faith of Edda (though I don't think Tiltyu isn't) and isn't Holy Blood (i.e. possible hostage). Even with the whole crush hinted at, it doesn't seem like this should be accepted at all.

Tiltyu's pairings are actually worth thinking over, because her kids will like something to supplement the growths that Tiltyu has (while hopefully improving magic), and possibly improve areas where she's not doing so well in (*cough* defence *cough* resistance *cough* HP *cough*). They'll also really like Pursuit if she can get it, but most of those pairings are pretty poor for her at best. Another factor is if the parent can boost the usability of Wrath to unprecedented levels, making them broken at their best.

Levin (Arthur gets Holsety. I could finish here (I made the point in the Levin post), but he'll get Continue too (Boosted by both growths and tome), and he's certainly dangerous (if lacking Pursuit without a ring). Tinny is also a powerful offensive mage too, with good speed and >100 HP growths, A rank wind and gets Continue early to boot. Both get Critical, meaning they don't need to be close to dying to destroy an opponent. Full inheritance (unless either parent was carrying Elfire) of tomes)

Azel (Tinny and Arthur both get pretty similar boosts: both will grow a lot of magic and speed, with Azel's iffy skill and luck offset by Tiltyu. Admittedly, it's not a bulky pairing, with defences like Levin's kids, which is a concern. Both will have Pursuit as well, which is great for their combat in general. Full inheritance for Arthur (of tomes), keep in mind they can't get any swords from their parents.)

Fin (Arthur would like some magic, please. Tinny is also below 100 HP, on top of magic being low. But the pairing is alright in terms of speed, luck and skill, so they'll at least be chipping often. :P Honestly, this pairing's here for a gimmick: in this case, Prayer (OK, two things: Pursuit's here!). The reason why Prayer is relevant is when their HP is low enough, no opponent can touch these kids, which allows them to laugh their way through the enemy. No inheritance)

Lex (Arthur and Tinny both have great HP, Strength and Defence as expected of Lex's kids. They'll be annoyed at the lack of magic and speed, but they're at least still doing alright with their luck and skill. This pairing is also here for a gimmick: Vantage + Wrath has a higher threshold than Prayer to activate, and while they're still at risk of dying, the attack will go before the opponent, pretty much guaranteeing kills each time. Plus, this pairing has Elite, which helps get both of them promoted faster. No inheritance)

Claude (Arthur is now a great magekiller, while also having good magic and skill and speed to do damage. Tinny gets A staves, is growth wise worse in every way except skill and speed and gets nothing else. No new skills, Arthur can't use Valkyrie (or any staff), any tomes he had do get passed down.)

I'm going to rate her a 4.5/10 (negative bais with availability and start). Powerful as she can be, she needs a lot of work put in to get there, and she'll have 2 chapters to do it. Good luck indeed, but she'll be certainly a tesla grenade of fun with Wrath.