Photo

BS Fire Emblem Information

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Kiddo

Kiddo

The only guy who'd list BSFE as his Favorite if he could.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

I think their fates were purposely left vague, much like what Dice and Malice in week 3 (Where were they when Lena was caught? Heck if I know!)

Anyway, pictures time!

Posted Image
Rena and Rickard.

Posted Image
Rickard explains his plans to the others.

Posted Image
Uh oh! Look who's running this castle!

Posted Image
Rena pleas to Camus.

Posted Image
Week 3 ends with the designated protagonists hightailing it outta there.

Posted Image
The score tally in this game looks similar to the ones used in Panel De Pon Event 98, now that I think about it. And they're both made by Intsys... I think I'm seeing a pattern!

Posted Image
I think that guy you only see the back of is meant to be Medeus himself.

Posted Image
This is too corny beyond what words can describe.

Posted Image
Hardin hasn't even seen Nyna yet, but it looks like he's already ready to penetrate!... ok, that joke was totally horrible.

Posted Image
Hardin asking someone to get some water. But outside the context, this picture looks unintentionally funny somehow.

Posted Image
Camus surrenders. The last picture, and this one stays on the screen a while to take in all the emo-value it's worth.

#42 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

I'll probably look into seeing what I can revise in the transcripts from here later on, but first, I'd like to bring up something;

Since we now have the material I believe is needed as the basis (I'm referring to the CG art and the transcripts), is anyone perhaps interested in hacking the BS Fire Emblem ROMs? Understandably one might argue that IntSys's own remake would give this a degree of redundancy, but I thought it would be nice to have a project like this done in a similar vein as the BS Zelda ROM hacking projects.

My idea would be to figure out how to hack the ROMS:
1) For standard hardware compatibility rather than Satellaview hardware compatibility, so that they'd work on real hardware as well as most mainstream emulators.
2) Include the plotline from the transcripts to the best degree feasible, likely via adding text in various places.
3) Include the CG artwork at the beginning and ending of each part, as well as the score tally.
4) See if there's a way to put music in the game. (The BS Zeldas had music taken from disabled in-game code.)
5) Translate the text in the ROMs themselves.

Unfortunate for me I'm not an experienced hacker myself - I mostly just did debugging work for the BS Zelda project. The BS Zelda hackers are kinda busy on their own things, themselves.

I propose this idea mostly to get some more discussion in this thread - I'm not actually certain what result it will bring. Hopefully it'll be a nice one though.

#43 Emperor Hardin

Emperor Hardin

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Ricardo looks straight in the first picture, Medeus loves that throne, and the soldier with Camus in the third picture looks like Belf. The picture of mounted Hardin with his lance is really badass, I hope someday they'll reflect things like that in the battle animations! I'm guessing Hardin's first meeting with Nyna was in the tenth picture, he looks like a magician with the way he's moving his hand.

I hope the artwork for the DS remake will be as good as this.

Edited by Emperor Hardin, 29 June 2010 - 12:43 PM.

#44 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

I would assume for the DS game they'll have the artwork redrawn to resemble the current art-style.

I'd guess opinions on this would vary. ^^;

#45 Emperor Hardin

Emperor Hardin

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Have you thought about uploading the screen captures to the Fire Emblem wiki?

#46 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Silly as it sounds, this is the first I've heard of the FE Wiki.

What info do they have on BS FE already? I'd consider posting the screencaps I ripped, but I heard something about that FE Anniversary book...

#47 Emperor Hardin

Emperor Hardin

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Silly as it sounds, this is the first I've heard of the FE Wiki.

What info do they have on BS FE already? I'd consider posting the screencaps I ripped, but I heard something about that FE Anniversary book...

I put some info on some of the character pages and created articles for a few of the bosses and exclusive characters.

#48 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

A bit of something that I nearly missed out on, based on the date of this upload:

http://www.nicovideo...atch/nm10878490

A particular fan has attempted recreating three of the BS Fire Emblem songs - namely the "God's Young Sage" and "Theme of Live" remixes and the "Planning"/"Victory" Medley.

I was able to extract a single mp3, much like with IntSys's upload of the songm "WIND" from before:

Trying for an Mp3 DL link here.

The songs sound very nicely done, although even with the low-quality encodes we have, I can tell the guy didn't quite have all the sound samples the original used. In particular, the organ in the medley lacks the "church-like" organ sound, sand generally sounds more analog-synthed than sound-sampled.

Edited by Kiddo, 12 July 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#49 Charpig

Charpig

• Exiled
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

What does the "BS" in BS Fire Emblem stand for?

#50 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

A large amount of Satellaview products has "BS" prefixed or suffixed to them. In Japan, "BS" is a sort of network slang for "Broadcasting Satellite", and could refer to nearly anything sent from a Satellite signal - in this case, BS Fire Emblem (among the other Satellaview material) was broadcast from St.GIGA's Satellite Network at the time.

Edited by Kiddo, 12 July 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#51 Celice

Celice

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

I don't know if this has ever been seen, but eh.

http://www.nicovideo...atch/sm11173250

One of the maps with Belf and co, I think. There's voices, and music. Though I'm not sure if the music is actually what was streamed... but it does sound nice, and I haven't heard it anywhere else. Looks like some recorded gameplay.

#52 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

I believe I linked/ripped/re-upped all the relevant NicoNicoDouga ups prior. Perhaps I should try having them all be in one post?

#53 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

Small update - I wanted to try that sound rip/remaster thing again, but so far..

"Under the Flag", assuming I'm going by old Monshou titles. Or "The Time to Act". Blasted inconsistent track naming.
I've been stumped on how to get further in getting this song done right. During the one video we have of Dai-3-wa, the song doesn't as long as expected, and it gets particularly noisy during the pieces missing from this "test"...

Two of the other tracks that play during battle I've identified as slow-paced, melancholy arranges of "Showdown at Doluna Keep" and "Hardain's Way", respectively. Also, one of the tenser pieces sounds pretty much like the SNES "Defense" music with a bit of distortion/Echo and an ambient noise added. Hrm...

#54 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Minor update - this is for those who might have had problems watching the BS Fire Emblem videos previously.

Thanks to Youtube removing my 15-minute restriction, I've decided to mirror them there - except now each week's set of videos have been combined into one for easier viewing.

- Starting from there.

These videos have had a small amount of viewers already even before I advertised it. One minor detail, though - the encoding is slightly different from the original videos, so visual quality may not be as good.

I've uploaded BS Zelda no Densetsu previously. I will likely up BS Marvelous, Satella-Q, BS Shin Onigashima and BS Fuurai no Shiren later on.

#55 joesteve1914

joesteve1914

Hylia's Chosen Hero

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

So is there a possibility for a restoration project for this (like the BS Zelda's)? Like it was mentioned above, the DS remake doesn't really capture the original experience on the BS-X.

#56 eefara

eefara

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I'll probably sound ridiculous for asking, but what DS remake are we talking about here? I haven't heard anything about anyone re-making BS FE.

#57 VincentASM

VincentASM

Musical Heartbunny

• Administrator
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Don't worry about it ^^

The BS FE chapters were remade in FE12, the second DS game.

#58 eefara

eefara

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Ah, okay. That makes sense, considering I haven't even started playing the game. ^^

#59 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

By the way, as a small and probably not-too-significant update to this thread, since the initial post the Satellablog team's managed to redump both "Palace Kanryaku" and "Hajimari no Toki" from 8M memory packs. (I may have br

This is mostly significant due to old emulation debates about how well-dumped the older Satellaview ROMs were. In BS Fire Emblem's case, though, it seems to have merely verified the earlier dumps as valid, as there's very little differences besides BS-X header metadata (which can change merely from the date of a broadcast.)

These redumps will probably be in some ROM dats sooner or later - Satellablog already has them available if you want. This is mostly of interests to archivists, however.

The unfortunate thing about the redumps is that they also prove that data from the broadcasts, such as the CG art, will always be absent from the ROM data. An unfortunate loss. If it weren't for the NicoNicoDouga uploads and FE Anniversary book they may have been gone forever.

So is there a possibility for a restoration project for this (like the BS Zelda's)? Like it was mentioned above, the DS remake doesn't really capture the original experience on the BS-X.

Unfortunately I don't think the BS Zelda team is interested in tackling it, although I on a personal level would love to attempt something like this:

1) All four maps in a single ROM
2) Works on a real SNES/SFC (obviously)
3) Narrative from the broadcast restored as well as possible, with CG art in place, voiced dialog converted to text.

4) Gameplay tweaks? Honestly I'd prefer to keep as true to the Satellaview originals as possible, but some would probably like it better if the objectives were more akin to the DS remakes. Being able to have multiple gameplay mode options would be ideal.
5) Translated, obviously! But perhaps it'd also be a good idea to make a hack like this with a version tailored for the Japanese audience. I recall having to push for this quite a bit in the BS Zelda forums because I knew of the project's potential international demographic.
6) High scores are saved.
7) Some other possible tweaks - Nyna's stats being optionally transferable from Ep. 1 to Ep. 4? Option to use BSFE or "Classic" Monshou art?

Perhaps this might sound a bit ambitious, but I have been impressed by both the BS Zelda hacks and Radical Dreamers fan translation, so I'd imagine it's possible.

#60 Kiddo

Kiddo

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Posting again because talking to some Japanese Twitter people made me feel like posting this:

http://superfamicom....a-cd-dramabomb/

Just figured it'd be a good idea to have a nice list of voice acting reprisals throughout Fire Emblem media, huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users