The next version update is now live in Fire Emblem Heroes! Load up the game to begin downloading and installing the Version 2.9 Update. If Heroes does not download the update automatically, you can grab it manually from the Play Store or App Store.
The Version 2.9 Update brings some really cool stuff! Most notably, we’ll now have access to Combat Manuals for skill inheritance and barracks organization. We also get some new Weapon Refinery updates, and we’ll also have a new game mode, Relay Defense, starting this weekend! Read on down below for full details on everything.
Additionally, a new skill-based banner starts up today! Spend some Orbs on the Heroes with Fury banner for your chance at 5★ versions of Myrrh, Eldigan, and Chrom: Knight Exalt. All three of these heroes come with the A skill Fury, a powerful skill that boosts your stats in exchange for a small amount of damage after combat.
The Heroes with Fury banner will be around for about a week and a half, ending on 16 September.
Relay Defense Maps
Relay Defense maps are a new type of map that will be available in the Special Maps menu. They will occasionally take the place of Rival Domains maps. Live Rival Domains, these are large scale maps played with Brigades, but they’re more defensive in nature.
You’ll need to defend your territory for eight turns. Every two turns, your remaining active heroes will be swapped out for other heroes in your Brigade in batches of five, so you’ll need to have a large, strong brigade to win. You earn points based on Defeated Enemies, Surviving Heroes, Camp Defense, and Fortress Defense.
Since Relay Defense maps will occupy the same slot as Rival Domains maps, they go live at the same time, daily reset on Saturday. When Relay Defense maps are active, they will last for two weeks instead of the usual one week for Rival Domains.
The first Relay Defense map will be available this Saturday, 8 September.
A new option to “Manage Barracks” is now available in the Allies menu. Most of the options within the menu deal with a new mechanic: Combat Manuals. The Send Home button has also moved to this new menu.
Combat Manuals allow you to effectively store a hero for later skill inheritance or merging. This enable Heroes players to free up space in their Barracks while still keeping access to plenty of skill inheritance or merge opportunities from excess heroes. Stored Skill Manuals look like their hero counterparts, but with a book icon in the upper left.
Additionally, the game will prioritize using Skill Manuals for inheritance instead of full heroes.
Weapon Refinery Updates
Three heroes have gotten weapon upgrades in the new update: Odin, Cherche, and Celica.
- Odin’s Grimoire (Blue Tome, 14 Mt): Adds total bonuses on unit to damage dealt. If a movement Assist skill (like Reposition, Shove, Pivot, etc.) is used by unit or targets unit, grants Atk/Spd+6 to unit and target ally or unit and targeting ally for 1 turn.
- Cherche’s Axe (Axe, 11 Mt): Inflicts Spd-5. If unit initiates combat, unit attacks twice. At start of turn, converts bonuses on foes in cardinal directions with HP < unit’s HP into penalties through their next actions.
- Ragnarok (Red Tome, 14 Mt): Grants Atk/Spd+5 during combat. After combat, if unit attacked, deals 5 damage to unit. At start of combat, if unit’s HP ≤ 80%, grants Atk/Spd+7 during combat.
Odin’s Grimoire loses the cooldown penalty and gains a point of Might. The movement Assist boost is the unique buff available to this weapon, but you can also opt for generic stat refinements.
Similarly, Cherche’s Axe loses its armor effectiveness, instead becoming a unique, and more powerful, Brave Axe+. The Panic Ploy effect is its available unique effect.
On refinement, Celica’s Ragnarok loses the 100% HP requirement. It’s unique refinement additionally gives a further boost to both Atk and Spd if her HP is lowered.
There are also a few other, smaller changes and enhancements that arrived with the new Version 2.9 Update:
- The current Blessing Season appears on the Edit Teams screen
- You can flip the horizontal rotation for Tap Battle so that your allies can appear on the right and foes from the left.
- There is now a setting for Primary and Reserve teams for multiple team battles, such as Tempest Trials or Arena Assault.
- There will be a warning added to the next Grand Conquests when battles are 10 minutes away from ending.
- New Friend Requests now appear at the top of the list instead of at the bottom.
- On Android, tapping the back icon during battle will open the Battle menu.