Casual mode is so easy, the AI could finish it.
For my third playthrough of the game I was wondering how easy the game would be, and I decided to test if the game was playable by only using the "improvise" tactic. After getting stuck on part 3 on classic normal (No way Alm's group can get past the many mages in that part), I decided to try it on casual. It's quite easily doable. Some chapters needed quite a few restarts, almost always because Alm or Celica decided to charge an enemy on a supply tile, but no grinding required.
my rules were:
- Every turn, may only select the improvise button
- Select all the highest leveled units (+20 for promoted, -20 for villager) for dungeons
- No grinding in dungeons or map
- No DLC
- No going back on the map, except for that one step to get Palla and Catria
- Switch between Alm and Celica on the map each step
- Villagers get their Cipher card classes (and Atlas to mercenary)
- Use Mila statues immediately but only on encountering them
I only broke that last rule once, backtracked a bit on Celica's last dungeon to promote Atlas to Dreadfighter. I figured I wouldn't stand a chance to win endgame otherwise. But it seemed I worried for nothing. Atlas died almost immediately that chapter, while Saber was dodgetanking the final boss, and the rest of the team surrounded mr "unbeatable".
Also, fun fact, I imagined Nuibaba's chapter would be impossible, but Gray and Mathilda made minced meat out of it, no restarts required.