Fire Emblem: Mark of Destiny

ShiningDrake

I've actually already posted this on FEPlanet and FEUniverse, but it's not like posting it here will hurt anything, will it?

Basically, I want to combine the stories of FE7 and FE6 into one (it will be clear later) add new points to the storyline, and replace the tactician with a fourth lord, named Drake.

Some major storyline differences:

There will not be different story modes, or rankings, there will be just one storyline.

Leila, Lloyd, and Linus will not die, they will join your party. (maybe some others, not sure yet)

Nergal is not the villain, he's just the tip of the iceberg. (again, it will be clear later)

The game will also be much, much longer.

I'm not revealing everything yet, that would spoil the fun

Now, gameplay differences:

There will be three tiers of classes.

The level limit will be 100 instead of 40

There will be no promotion items, characters will promote at level 21 and 41 respectively, there will be level locks blocking those levels until certain points in the story.

There will be characters that can use both magic and weapons.

I'd like to fuse Light magic and healing magic, and just give different boosts/penalties to the clerics and monks.

Probably add different skills to certain classes. Game-breaking mastery skills like Radiant Dawn would be too much, but I'm sure we can find some nice ones.

Probably make the existing enemies tougher. That includes bosses, we'll give them better stats and just eliminate those huge bonuses from the thrones.

Obviously, there will be new music for it too.

What do you think? It's a complex project, and I haven't actually started it yet, but just from these ideas here, what do you think?

Honestly, that would be a ridiculous amount of work and I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble, especially with new music.

Also, I don't see the point in such a drastically increased level cap, unless you're significantly increasing the length of both games. I doubt there's enough room in the ROM for that many chapters anyway, though.

It wouldn't exactly have the story of FE6 in there, just a few elements. This really wouldn't be nearly the same game as either one, though the story around the beginning would be somewhat similar to FE7, and there would be elements from FE6 afterwards. If it ever actually gets done, then it will be a pretty good game, and would really be cool.

If you really, desperately want a big, huge hint to look forward to... The final boss:

Sephiroth.

Or maybe some stuff a bit less drastic if you don't want to be too spoiled... Zephiel and Bramimond:

Zephiel is possessed

Bramimond is evil

Don't tell me you're not wondering how this stuff will happen. Don't you think it's going to be interesting? This is actually closely related to a series I someday hope to make. I'm planning on being a video game designer...

Edited by ShiningDrake

Seriously? Sephiroth? One of the most over worshiped and over used villains...ever? Shit, he wasn't even that great of a villain. How unoriginal of you. Seriously, worst idea in that entire mess of crap.

The level limit will be 100 instead of 40

If you can greatly expand the RAM to handle such a feat then more power to you, however I highly doubt you will ever accomplish this.

Leila, Lloyd, and Linus will not die, they will join your party. (maybe some others, not sure yet)

So basically, everything the whiny FE7 fanboy ever wanted will happen in your hack. Well, that's one way to attract attention.

There will be no promotion items, characters will promote at level 21 and 41 respectively, there will be level locks blocking those levels until certain points in the story.

Nintenlord, one of the most intelligent and talented FE hackers attempted this and failed. If you want to try, go ahead but I doubt you will ever achieve it.

There will be three tiers of classes.

Have fun expanding the class table and making animations for all those new classes!

Don't tell me you're not wondering how this stuff will happen. Don't you think it's going to be interesting? This is actually closely related to a series I someday hope to make. I'm planning on being a video game designer...

Honestly I'm not since you just spoiled the final boss of the game. The project hasn't even started and you've given away your biggest secret.

The identity of the final boss is probably the least secret thing in my long-term plans. I'm planning big things. I only wanted to do this as a hack to substitute before I was able to do it for real. I'm planning on being a video game designer, and builing up my own company, so don't think I'm not serious about all of this, it's not just some stupid thing.

I'm planning on being a video game designer, and building up my own company, so don't think I'm not serious about all of this, it's not just some stupid thing.

Well, you've got a long way to go. I've heard that line before, none of them have ever finished. Your goals are too high, you have no idea of what the limitations are. Level 100 will never happen within the confines of a GBA ROM. Having all the levels from FE7 and FE6 + some more is too much for the game to handle. Throw in all the additional class data, character data and animation data and you'll never have enough room to finish this without your patch being ~20MB+.

Plus, if you were planning on being an actual video game designer you should probably start with something more original than combining two games, making all the character noobs wish were recruitable recruitable, and adding in one of the most overrated villains of all time to top it all off. Now, this might sound hypocritical coming from the guy doing a remake of a Fire Emblem game. The difference is that I'm doing this as a hobby, you have it set in your mind that this will be your career. You should start out with something more original, make your own world with your own characters instead of ripping off of someone else's already great cast.

Edited by Arch

I'm going to have to go with Arch on this one. Even if you expanded your ROM the RAM is limited... You can't set units to go above level 31 because 0xFF is the highest value, if you wanted to go higher you'd have to do an ASM hack. If you wanted more classes than 0xFF than you'd need an ASM hack. Same thing for items, animations, almost everything.

You'll also need ASM hacks for the skills, the ability to use both weapons and magic, in order to "fuse" light and healing magic, an ASM hack to auto-promote at level 21, an ASM-hack to auto-promote at level 41, and those ASM hacks won't be simple they will be really complex, and after all that work it will be pointless because the RAM is limited and unless you want to hack the GBA hardware and processor and all that shit you are limited in RAM... If you're going to bother to do that, then you should simply start from scratch using C++ or C#; hacking is not for your dreamy fanboy/fangirl ideas.

Edited by Fire Blazer

Fine, I admit it, I haven't actually started studying the programming stuff, and I don't know what I'm doing. I guess I should have tried to find out more about it before I posted the ideas. However, they are mostly just that, ideas for what I want to do, and if they are too much for the capabilities of a GBA file, I guess now I know.

Honestly, I don't even know what a C++ file is, so that shows that I still have a lot to learn. This isn't the first time I've gotten ahead of myself, and it probably won't be the last. I just thought this game would be good for this, and I'm not even sure how I got the idea for it. I keep making plans for what I'm going to do without having the slightest idea of how to get there, no matter how determined I am to make it happen. I'm just another person who has no clue what I'm doing, you're right, and I guess I need to learn, but at least I have stuff I plan to work for.

Well you shouldn't worry about things. Here's what I have to say about this. Don't try to over do things there is obviously things that can't be done without serious dedication, and it would be much simpler to just work on something that might seem easier. With enough knowledge in events and other what not I think you could make some minor changes, but it would most likely be better to make two seperate hacks if you want to combine two stories into one. Well I hope that you can decide what you want to and I seriously recommend toning down on the hack or you might be overworked trying to do stuff.

No offense to you, I mean, you could be the best hacker out there. But I seriously doubt it. This project seems great on paper, but it's probably gonna take you much longer than you may actually be thinking.

Well you shouldn't worry about things. Here's what I have to say about this. Don't try to over do things there is obviously things that can't be done without serious dedication, and it would be much simpler to just work on something that might seem easier. With enough knowledge in events and other what not I think you could make some minor changes, but it would most likely be better to make two seperate hacks if you want to combine two stories into one. Well I hope that you can decide what you want to and I seriously recommend toning down on the hack or you might be overworked trying to do stuff.

It's not so much the two stories into one as having some of the events of both stories into one. It would be hard to explain without giving what is quite a bit bigger secret than the final boss, (though it comes into play earlier in this game) one that I don't want to give away yet. Anyway, yeah, it has been made clear that I don't know what I'm doing yet and I need to find out a bit more...