Only One Guiding Ring

Fei Mao

Promote Healer or a Magic User (mage shaman monk)   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Promote Healer
    • Promote a Magic User

Lets say that both the healer and the magic users are at lvl 20 by arena abuse or just leveling normally and both ended up not being RNG screwed would you use the one guiding ring on your healer so he or she can have an attack but only one staff user to heal, or would you rather promote the magic user to access another healer and increased offense?

Now say the healer in question was Serra. You know my answer.

Also, it gives the healer more of a useful role.

If you're willing to A/S rank one of the healers I'd recommend you promote either of them or arena abuse in the next arena til' getting them to an S rank(It will take a long time, though), if your willing to just have a great fighter just promote a magic user.

I'd perfer to promote a healer in that case since that means one less liability on Enemy Phase. Well, that, and I think that a healer being able to attack is a bigger improvement for the team than a magic user gaining the ability to heal.

Staff users heal, adding weak fighting to them doesn't help a powerful sage who can only heal less for a chapter or so. Plus, magic users tend to have more magic, but not in all cases.

Probably the healer first. Going from 0-range to 1-2 range is a significant improvement to their offense and defense in several ways. Unless I really need more staves on my army.

I say the healer simply because I think when they promote you will still have them healing but now they can defend themselves and go for offense if allowed.

Magic user most definitely. Although one certain magic user that goes to Light A, White C is sometimes the one I usually promote first. The only healer I would ever consider promoting is Priscilla.

Since it applies to other FEs with promotion items also, my statement still stands, only that the healer I would promote would change.

Edited by Little Al

Well, once you think about it, who REALLY tries to S rank a non-healer in staves? Most likely, that sage, bishop, valkyrie, mage knight, etc. is going to be stuck with heal, mend, and sometimes physic.

Since this is Fe7, it's absolutely pointless to S rank a healer in staves, which is why I'd rather just promote someone like Lucius ASAP.

Well, once you think about it, who REALLY tries to S rank a non-healer in white magic? Most likely, that sage, bishop, valkyrie, mage knight, etc. is going to be stuck with heal, mend, and sometimes physic.

Since this is Fe7, it's absolutely pointless to S rank a healer in staves, which is why I'd rather just promote someone like Lucius ASAP.

Yes that is the most likely senario. And I would say it takes either dedication and/or arena abuse to give them some more mastery over the offensive magic types, but I really don't see that happening in a normal playthrough.

Healer. I'm a big fan of healers and I want them to have better stats. Also, in FE5, the staff level increase helps.

I guess your reasoning is the same as mine. Though I just don't like male healers one bit. Moulder just didn't appeal to me, and then came Rhys to just kill what was left of the little respect I had for male healers.

I'd probably promote the healer first. Gaining some sort of offense is a bigger improvement than getting another staff-user. I could only see promoting the mage first as a plus if I needed more staves, but I've never found that to be much of an issue in FE7.

Magic user. Either way I have all the staves I need, and I rarely (if ever) need more than heal, mend, and maybe physic, while I'll actually use the high-level tomes. And getting the magic user to level 20 was fun, while getting the healer there made me want to kill someone (preferably that healer). So assuming they have equal stats, the magic user wins by a landslide.

Magic user. Either way I have all the staves I need, and I rarely (if ever) need more than heal, mend, and maybe physic, while I'll actually use the high-level tomes. And getting the magic user to level 20 was fun, while getting the healer there made me want to kill someone (preferably that healer). So assuming they have equal stats, the magic user wins by a landslide.

To be honest, I don't really see the reason why you'd use the high-level tomes. As far as FE7 and FE8 are concerned, I REFUSE to use anything C-rank or higher unless it's long-range magic since I feel most of the high-level tomes are garbage anyway.

Edited by Jonathan Aulin

I would use it either on Pricilla or Canas.

Canas-He becomes a boss slayer with Luna. Luna is broken in this game.

Pricilla-Mounted, can heal at farther range, and can actually lend a healping hand in fighting.

On topic...

I prefer to use it on a healer. I'd like to add another Magic user that will already be able to use any staff that he/she wants, and that by promoting a Sage, that character won't likely go above C level in staves in a Ranked run.

So...

I would promote a healer.

Edited by Ursula

I'd have to say healer b/c magic users aren't exactly necessary to complete chapters, whereas you're always going to need a healer and I get used to how powerful my healer's heals are. If i were to swap chars it'd just feel weird. also, being able to Defend is sooo nice once healers get it (allow them to be useful while on the near front lines after mending my hector/oswin/raven,etc. and during the enemy's phase.

Also it just feels like so much more of an overall improvement to have ANOTHER offensive unit. (and it actually makes use of all those skl pts that you were SOOOO happy to have while leveling the healer).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd promote a magic user because they then usually get the ability to use staves and therefore add something that you're more than likely not having in abundance, healing; the only exception is Priscilla or Serra, in every other FE a mage gets priority since you can always use more healers in my opinion and you already should have more than enough competent damage dealers