What are the greatest Rom hacks?

Prince Levin

I've never played a rom hack, so I was wondering what the most expansive, best hacks ever done are. I'm talking like for any series, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mega man, Castlevania, etc. (as well as Fire Emblem of course).

Any help greatly appreciated, I would like to try out some of the best ones.

I hope Celice still has that list lying about.

Anyway I can say the greatest hack you'll never play (or at least a prooper completed version rather than an overly buggy and poorly balanced alpha) is easily Crimson Echoes. Saldy, Square-Enix C&Ded the project. However, nowhere in the C&D did it say they couldn't release videos. More info

Otherwise all that springs to mind (the romhacks I mainly play are the small bugfix ones...that fix bugs I never I knew existed/would never encounter anyway) is:

Zelda Challenge: Outlands on a sidenote I really do hope Zelda 3c comes out sometime in the next 15 years

and

Rockman No Constancy

fakeedit:With all the said and done I just realised I need to mention Dragoon X Omega and its sequel Dragoon X Omega II as examples of how extensive an edit can be.

I thought Zelda: Parallel Worlds (LoZalltp) was pretty good. Just about 100% redesigned, and is upped in difficulty by a considerable amount, which is fun.

I second this.

Golden Yoshi's Yoshi's Island hacks are also quite good.

Super Metroid Redesign, Zelda Parallel Worlds, Mario Adventure, Rockman Deus Ex Machina, some more I might not know..

Some other hacks in progress that will be good include Super Metroid Aegis, Rockman ABNormality, Megaman Forever, and FE4 Advance.

I hope Celice still has that list lying about.

^_^

What are some hacks you guys have enjoyed? I was just making a list for somewhere else, which spurred the idea to make this thread :Knoll: For me:

Castlevania: Orchestra of Despair

Castlevania: Chorus of Mysteries

Dragoon X Omega

Final Fantasy Epica

Final Fantasy ++

Final Fantasy ++ - World of Chaos

Dragoon X Omega II

Mario Runner

The Jehovah's Witnesses

Rockman 2000

Megaman in the Mushroom Kingdom

Byte's Adventure

Rockman Exile

Rockman Exhaust

Rockman no Constancy

Rockman 2 MIN

Rockman Dues Ex Machina

Enemy Lifebar (what? It's nifty :P )

Metrod Deluxe

Metroid: Wart's Invasion

Mario + Toad

Recca - Pure

Strange Mario Bros. (oh how has history turned)

Luigi's Chronicles (anything by Googie is good ;) )

Toad's Adventure

Super Mario Remix

Mario's Moon Adventure

Super Loco Spoof!

Justin and Friends

Mario Evolution

Kirby's Adventure 2

SMB - Mario in Zebes

XXXX

Mario In Time Is Ticking

The Pixel Kingdom

Super Catholic Bros.

Mario in: Some Usual Day

Mario's Adventure (you will play it. now)

Super Mario Bros. Chaos Control

Super Wario Bros.

Super Loco Spoof! 2

Mario Chronicles

Green Dizzy

Zelda Challenge: Outlands (Challenge... it'd be great if they didn't die off...)

Time Crises: Fall of the Moon

Super Mario Adventures

Valis ++

Adventure of Error (for laughs really[/url]

Zelda II - Part 2

Zelda II - Part 3

Unfortunately, I'm missing a ton of great hacks still. frantik's Super Mario Unlimited is one of the more captivating hacks I've seen in a while (lot's of nice ASM features thrown in). And here's some great Japanese hacks for Super Mario Bros. I never got around to playing. Hopefully the Yoshi's Island hack is in there, as is the Metroid hack (yes, you play Metriod-style Mario. As in, explore new areas after getting items Metroid).

Worth mentioning outside of NES... Zelda: Parallel Worlds is a great hack with a lot of investment, but a lot of the dungeon designs are lacking. VIP Mario and Brutal Mario are hacks everyone needs to play. Maybe more will come to me later :/

Utilize this list guys.

Old. The links may be messed up since thier servers were affected the same here, but I don't know :/ This is not a comprehensive list, though--there's a bunch of Super Mario World hacks that I didn't mention.

Anyway I can say the greatest hack you'll never play (or at least a prooper completed version rather than an overly buggy and poorly balanced alpha) is easily Crimson Echoes. Saldy, Square-Enix C&Ded the project. However, nowhere in the C&D did it say they couldn't release videos

No one could actually make sense of the sender, though. No response came from the e-mail, and after some snooping, it didn't even look as if it was from Square-Enix. Short of actually asking them--which would likely guarantee the thing get redlined. No one wants to stand up to though, especially considering that it's Square :/

Thx everyone! So many interesting hacks.

Man...Crimson Echoes, I was so so looking forward to that and for quite awhile. So disappointing. :(

Super Metroid Redesign and Rockman in the Mushroom kingdom look really cool, as well as the Zelda 2 sequels.