Removing Post Counts or Usergroups?

Jyosua

My two cents? Getting rid of post count is VERY YES. Post counts, almost without fail, lead to dick-measuring and elitism. I definitely wouldn't implement a reputation system - it just reintroduces the elitism and dick-comparing problems of post counts, and then adds on. You're going to have a multitude of people posting to get approval of the other forumgoers, and that'll give interesting discussion a kick in the balls.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents? Getting rid of post count is VERY YES. Post counts, almost without fail, lead to dick-measuring and elitism. I definitely wouldn't implement a reputation system - it just reintroduces the elitism and dick-comparing problems of post counts, and then adds on. You're going to have a multitude of people posting to get approval of the other forumgoers, and that'll give interesting discussion a kick in the balls.

Objection!

I still lean toward getting rid of postcount. I don't think it's as big of an issue as some folks make it seem, but I don't think that it can be denied that post count has caused some issues on this forum. I think it was Mac who said that getting rid of the post count system would be like getting rid of a cold sore.

That said, I doubt I'll lose any sleep at night if post count remains.

Regarding the rep system: this honestly seems much worse than post count, but I admit that I'm not completely familiar with rep systems.

I find the whole topic about removing post count to be the mosh childish thing I've heard in a long time. There are plenty of other things that are deserve more attention than the post count system. Nobody here even gives two shits for their post count anymore, so either do away with them or don't. I seriously do not understand why this topic dragged on for 4 pages. thumbs up if you're still reading

*insert obligatory speech here*

AKA, THE BEST SOLUTION WOULD BE TO MAKE A POLL AND SEE WHAT THE MAJORITY VOTE IS

And quality points? No thank you. I don't need somebody's reputation to get in the way of calling somebody out when I see an elitist post (dejavu?). Can't say the same for others, though. Basically, it's a horrible idea, one that's even worse than the post count system.

And in case anybody was wondering, I've seen it implemented on other forums. Don't expect me to believe it'll be any different here.

Edited by Eltoshen

No.

I'm afraid of little children simply going "oh my friend lyle helped me REPUTATION POINT lalala~" which is really what's going to happen in the end. The only way I can really see this working is if a moderator applies said point, but I wonder if that's too much work for them. You could always hire extra staff solely for the purpose of applying such points.

Sort of like a judge group? That also sounds pretty awesome. But how would one determine who was fit for said position?

There'd have to be a lot of judges, otherwise too many posts would go looked over.

I have to say, I see no real reason to erase the postcount system. If people spam to get it up, they'd be banned before they got anywhere.

This point system is too dependant on other users opinions. I mean, mods would be hated for banning and such things. And just imagine all the hate Jyosua would get if he makes a bad decision etcetera.

Edited by kirsche

All this business about post counts, reputation and member titles seem like mindless indulgences to me. I sign on a forum to post messages, not to see if my status has improved from egg to heron or to feel triumphant about having a user rating of 4.5 stars or something.

Wait wait, you want to create a system which requires every "I like this post comment" to be reviewed by a moderator? As there isn't enough stuff moderators should be doing to have their attention consumed with reading 500 posts of nerf-tardism a day? Systems should simplify over time, not complicate. Plus we all know that "abuse" is a loose term, hard to define, and will in the end be very rarely punished.

I'd rather keep post counts, or if you must have this system, give people the option of turning it off. The last thing this forum needs in more bureaucracy, especially since we're still in the test period for the ticket system.

If I could pick both I would, but I will only pick user groups. They just most of the time promote elitism, and with no user groups there will be equality. No one would be better, or have a better group than others. This is a good way to help prevent elitism. Wouldn't it be good to just be talked to normally, instead of being at fear that a person has powers (I know some people are). The only problem I can see is if people don't know who is the administrator, or a moderator. But, there are more pros than cons to this decision. To sum it up, take out user groups.

If I could pick both I would, but I will only pick user groups. They just most of the time promote elitism, and with no user groups there will be equality. No one would be better, or have a better group than others. This is a good way to help prevent elitism. Wouldn't it be good to just be talked to normally, instead of being at fear that a person has powers (I know some people are). The only problem I can see is if people don't know who is the administrator, or a moderator. But, there are more pros than cons to this decision. To sum it up, take out user groups.

They're not talking usergroups like administrators and moderators. They're talking about Egg, Hatchling, and so forth.

My opinion: Get rid of postcounts. Get rid of usergroups. And no quality post system. A particular person is viewed differently by different people. It is absolutely impossible to display someone's reputation. Some people like this guy. Others hate him. Even if you take the average rating, it doesn't mean anything at all. And if you only count the ones that provided good reasons, then you're not really giving an accurate image because you ignore some people's opinions, even if their reasoning is stupid.

I don't like the idea of quality post system because I doubt anything good will come out of it. It will just lead to more elitism. Why on Weyard should it matter if one person contributed more to the forums than others? That doesn't make them better or anything. I see absolutely no advantages of the quality post system.

Golden Sun's world.

Right, right.

Now that I think of it, it's probably better that we ditch rankings etc. altogether. I often find that when I join a new forum I feel overshadowed by members with bolded names, or higher postcounts, or with medals, or with super-awesome member icons, etcetera. So yeah, no to usergroups and rankings.

I like things as they are. Without the privalages of differany groups post count is just a number. I like having the post count system.

Hai guyz. So in the staff forums, we're talking about possibly removing post counts in favor of a quality points system. You see a post that's very useful or helpful, you can give it a quality point, and the member has their accumulated quality points displayed in their profiles. Note that these will be logged, and likely restricted so you can't give more than a certain amount within a certain period of time. This is to prevent abuse.

An alternative to removing post counts, is removing user groups instead, keeping post counts, and implementing quality points.

I decided to post this here, in hopes that some intelligent discussion and reasoning on this issue would be done. Please don't disappoint. :3

Bear in mind that I have not read 91 posts; just this one. Here's my thought.

What you're promoting is a karma system in lieu of post counts. I hate this idea, and here's why: you're promoting a mob mentality of sorts. I see this the way I see mod points at Slashdot, which is a system I don't care for. On Slashdot, no one promotes posts that are really good, but they don't agree with; they promote things as "insightful" things they agree with, even if the content of the post is pants. For example: let's say we're having a debate about homosexuality. Most of the members here are very liberal about that kind of thing, so saying homosexuality is fine is going to be accepted. But let's say someone comes around and posts a very well reasoned post about why they feel homosexuality is wrong, or at the very least not socially advantageous. Is that person going to get respected for their reasons, or are they going to be ignored (or degraded, though I saw no mention of this working both ways; this can only go up, right?) because they didn't play to the hivemind?

Furthermore, I see a clique mentality happening, also like Slashdot. I remember the time someone got mod points, and went to Blacken's account there, found his last five posts, and modded them all overrated (which isn't something that can be turned around by meta-modding), just because he didn't like him. I see something similar happening here, with the worst case being a clique that just mod each other up. How would you get around that?

Personally, I think the optimal idea is to remove *everything*; no post counts, no usergroups. If you're not a mod or admin, you're a member. Have fun. That's the best idea, and one I personally wish I went with years ago (getting rid of the Veterans, and possibly GEOS).

I admit post count isn't that big a deal, but if we get rid of it, it would be better than if we had it. I don't like the only response being "I like it as it is, though I won't explain why it's better aside from status quo etc, and precedent>change so nener nener nener."

Personally, I think the optimal idea is to remove *everything*; no post counts, no usergroups. If you're not a mod or admin, you're a member. Have fun. That's the best idea, and one I personally wish I went with years ago (getting rid of the Veterans, and possibly GEOS).

Which is what I've decided to do. I might have an "advisors" usergroup of sorts for the people that I want to retain access to the staff forum despite no longer being a mod, or similar circumstances. But other than that I'm going to remove it all.