Most over rated fire emblem character

Oujay

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holyn can't survive numbers of enemies, either. His defense is at most only 4 points ahead of Arya. That can amount to surviving one more attack than Arya, but that's about it. Meanwhile, Arya beats him by the same amount in Speed and Luck.

Are you taking into account Holyn's HP and level lead?

also wow, a trivial amount of avo in a game with 1 RN

By the time Holyn joins, Arya will have already surpassed him in level, unless you don't use her, which is a pity (not to mention stupid).

FE4 doesn't seem to be as shitty as FE5 when it comes to the 1 RN argument, and Arya is dodging most attacks for the most part anyways. Also, just because I felt like mentioning it, an extra 10 points in avoid isn't trivial. I don't get how something like an extra 9 points in HP is better than 10 points in avoid (14, if you count her luck lead) when avoid is calculated in every battle while an extra 9 points in HP can only be used to save you from one misguided attack (which occurs a lot for Holyn).

In essence, I could argue that Holyn would be worse off at soloing than Arya can, since his avoid and defense are mediocre at best. Getting hit < not getting hit. Of course, they'd both fail horribly if they charged into a hoarde of Lance Knights, but Arya has a much better chance surviving a group of Mages, to say the least. Holyn would be toast, especially since his resistance is nothing to brag about. And let's face it, this game is full of Mages (especially in Chapter 4).

Edited by Eltoshen

How is Aran overrated?

I'll quote Int here.

It's because of a phenomenon that I have dubbed the "Dawn Brigade Bump". People seem to give invisible fairy points to DB units because their chapters are harder. Sometimes it's justified (Volug), sometimes it's shaky (Zihark), sometimes it's lol (Nolan). Some of them have been fixed (Jill used to be in High, wtf), but other characters still persist in dirtying higher tiers with their mediocrity, like Aran.

And he's got horrendous spd

Also, Smash seems to make him more hyped up than he seems. He can give Aran a 8 and Boyd a 5.5

Overhyping ftw.

Actually the thing about Holyn's durability amounting to ~1 hit is about right. Ayra's Avoid lead will give her ~1 extra dodge if she's on favorable terrain. It's pretty close. I prefer Holyn for concrete durability but honestly the real question is "who gets the Hero Sword?"

And the answer is Beowulf or Noish, because they have a horse. OWNED.

Also: Cuan? Overrated? Seriously? I've never heard ANYONE hype Jamka or Cuan. People will give Jamka props, especially in recent months where his good points have come more to light, but he's hardly "overrated." Surely no one thinks Captain Non-Doubling Prepromote is so incredibly awesome as to overrate him.

Also I'd say overrated for FE5 is like Carrion. He's good, don't get me wrong, but for a while he was in Top or something (that may have been on GameFAQs pre-Serenes tier list) and Fergus and Shiva weren't, which was funny as hell.

Also, call me crazy, but I don't think Mareeta's the most overrated. Oh sure, she's a little overrated, but she can be pretty damn powerful. Her hype is at least partially justified by some pretty good benefits. Having one of FE5's brokedy-ass personal weapons never hurts.

Edited by Renall

I'm not sure why people are saying Lilina for most overrated ever. Honestly, I've seen what, one person hyping her in hard mode? Most of her hype is in normal mode, where she does fine. Babying her isn't difficult even in hard mode (it's just that in hard mode you don't get a usable unit out of the babying). Lilina starts doubling somewhere around chapter 14 in NM, and from then on has an offense lead over Lugh.

She's still worse than Lugh even in NM, but not by that much. Certainly not enough to make her the most overrated.

Also, I'd like to add Eliwood to my list. I've found him to be completely unusable past chapter 20 or so, even when his important stats (hp, str, spd, def) are nearly dead average.

I'm not sure why people are saying Lilina for most overrated ever. Honestly, I've seen what, one person hyping her in hard mode? Most of her hype is in normal mode, where she does fine. Babying her isn't difficult even in hard mode (it's just that in hard mode you don't get a usable unit out of the babying). Lilina starts doubling somewhere around chapter 14 in NM, and from then on has an offense lead over Lugh.

She's still worse than Lugh even in NM, but not by that much. Certainly not enough to make her the most overrated.

Also, I'd like to add Eliwood to my list. I've found him to be completely unusable past chapter 20 or so, even when his important stats (hp, str, spd, def) are nearly dead average.

Like it's been said, Lilina is highly overrated by Kainmaster and many of his followers. Not to mention there's already those who never heard of the guy and still cluelessly argue Lilina out of being a bad character.

By the time Holyn joins, Arya will have already surpassed him in level,

*points to av*

Yes, don't use a unit who's stats will directly affect those of her children. I totally understand your logic.

At the risk of falling into some clever sarcasm Ayra can get benched after she gets the appropiate equipment to pass down to Lakche and gets whatever guys lover points to full and it won't affect her children at all. All anybody passes is base stats, growths, items and some money.

Edited by Rehab

Actually the thing about Holyn's durability amounting to ~1 hit is about right. Ayra's Avoid lead will give her ~1 extra dodge if she's on favorable terrain. It's pretty close. I prefer Holyn for concrete durability but honestly the real question is "who gets the Hero Sword?"
Being able to tank an extra enemy > being able to dodge an extra enemy, because the latter isn't even guaranteed.

Being able to tank an extra enemy > being able to dodge an extra enemy, because the latter isn't even guaranteed.

Yet you're both still ignoring Arya's extra 14 points in avoid.

Compare a 50% chance of hitting and a 36% chance of hitting. That's a huge difference. Let's say the former can survive up to 5 hits, while the latter can survive 4 hits. Now spread that out amongst 10 enemies. Who would have a better chance of surviving?

EDIT: They'd both have high chances of surviving, maybe I should lower the amount of hits they can survive?

Edited by Eltoshen

Who would have a better chance of surviving?
Well, the one that can take 5 hits is guaranteed to damage five hits on top of dodging ability, while the other is a bit more reliant on dodge.

Beyond the hits they can take, the one that shows 50% displayed hit on enemies would have a 0.03% chance of surviving the rest of the 10 enemies after taking 5 hits. The other would would have a 0.04% chance of surviving the rest of the 10 enemies after taking 4 hits.

Playing it safer and not attempting to tank more than one can chew, one is guaranteed to take five enemies while the other has a 65% chance of surviving five enemies. One has a 50% chance of surviving six enemies, while the other has a 42% chance of surviving six enemies. One has a 25% chance of surviving seven enemies, while the other has a 27% chance of surviving seven enemies.

So the better avoid is only really better when you're playing like a madman and enjoy resetting often. I'll take the character that is at least guaranteed to do a bit more.

Yet you're both still ignoring Arya's extra 14 points in avoid.

No, I specifically took it into account. I ran the numbers, but the server eated them up. On a given map she'll dodge about one time more than Holyn, maybe more maybe less, so it puts her durability at about his level. They're basically right next to each other in terms of where they ought to be ranked. There are a few areas where Holyn can take more than one hit extra compared to her, and he comes out ahead overall (in my opinion) because of those situations. There aren't really any instances where Ayra has vastly more favorable terrain than a Forest, so she doesn't get the same edge his extra HP and DEF give him.

And you can swing the contest entirely one way or the other by giving one a ring, or the Hero Sword.

Yes, don't use a unit who's stats will directly affect those of her children. I totally understand your logic.

what? When the hell did I say that? I was attacking your overstatement that Ayra would magically gain four levels 3/4ths of a map in. And then Holyn has the arena to bolster his level lead.

what? When the hell did I say that? I was attacking your overstatement that Ayra would magically gain four levels 3/4ths of a map in. And then Holyn has the arena to bolster his level lead.

That's considered...a lot? LOL. Did you forget the fact that there's an arena in chapter 1 as well? Not to mention, almost all the remaining enemies in that same chapter wield axes, perfect slaughter bait for Arya.

Btw, not saying Holyn is bad either, since he's far from it. I just didn't understand why people thought Arya was overrated when she's way better than everybody else who's being mentioned. This led to me thinking that people were thinking of her as a god or something, which is why everybody mentioned her name for whatever reason.

Edited by Eltoshen

Sedgar and wolf are overrated.

Because having a #RKO that is bigger than 2-3 is considered hype?

Well, you could argue they're overrated as Jesus-level units on difficulties that do not require anyone that defensively powerful. If it's an H5 discussion, obviously they aren't overrated, but it's not like you really need them on Normal or whatever.

Btw, not saying Holyn is bad either, since he's far from it. I just didn't understand why people thought Arya was overrated when she's way better than everybody else who's being mentioned.
They consider Ayra overrated because overkill offense isn't considered valuable.
Well, you could argue they're overrated as Jesus-level units on difficulties that do not require anyone that defensively powerful. If it's an H5 discussion, obviously they aren't overrated, but it's not like you really need them on Normal or whatever.
Who actually talks about those two on non-H5 modes?

That's considered...a lot? LOL. Did you forget the fact that there's an arena in chapter 1 as well?

Did you forget Ayra's liable to get stuck on the Lance Knight?

Furthermore, you're underestimating how much catching up Ayra has to do. She's level four. Holyn's level twelve. How the HELL is she going to gain 10 levels [Holyn gets 2 from the C2 arena] from ONE castle and TWO arenas? Okay, maybe it's not impossible for Gandolf's guys to ALL be dead by the time Ayra is recruited: But most of them will be, and nothing's entitling Ayra to the Gandolf kill.

I just figured I'd throw something out, too: How often does Holyn NOT kill with Luna when it activates, let alone, how often does Holyn not ORKO in general? Holyn's strength lead comes into play too. If anything Holyn has better offense because he's less reliant on skills.

Edited by Norton Sez What?