MarioKirby's Sprite Topik

MarioKirby

'Ello. T'is my sprite topic. Not a whole lot right now, but I'll show you what I've made so far.

yunilmugsheet.png

Mugshot of a character I made up, named Yunil.

youngfado.png

Mugshots for a younger Fado concept I designed. Ephraim is there for reference.

newikemugs.png

A revamp of my old Ike mug, seen in the top-left corner.

mariofemug.png

A Mario mug-sheet. Pro'ly the oldest thing here.

fegaidenike.png

FE Gaiden-styled Ike sprite, both with and without his sword.

That's predominantly it so far. I have other things I've made, but its all condensed onto one image, and it's really big, so...

Anyway, C+C?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yunilmugsheet.png

Mugshot of a character I made up, named Yunil.

Here are three comments:

1) Yunil's neck seems far too long for how narrow her shoulders are, also in proportion to the size of her head (which is also slightly large for the shoulders.) The best solution if you want to change the least and keep the most of the current feel would be to simply lower her head down by a three pixels and right by one. Down four and right two would also look good. It's okay for the portraits to be somewhat disproportionate, it gives them character.

2) Her eye on our right is two pixels higher than the left one. I think the best solution here is just to lower it by two pixels.

3) I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do with that bit of shading under the hair that comes over Yunil's cheek to our right. When I zoom in I can see it's detailed, but can't tell what it is. Is it a scar being partially covered by the hair? I'd remove it myself, and would suggest you make it a bit more obvious if you want to keep it.

youngfado.png

Mugshots for a younger Fado concept I designed. Ephraim is there for reference.

Excellent work. I looked hard for areas where you might have missed even a pixel of shading, but can't find any indefensible errors.

I do have three stylistic critiques, though.

1) Going by the FE logic where characters get tanner as they get older, shouldn't Fado be a bit closer to Ephraim is coloration?

2) I think you made the shoulders too narrow as compared to Ephraim and Fado's older self. I think you could expand them by as much as two or three pixels in either direction and still only match Ephraim. Fado's armor would also look a lot more practical this way.

3) The style of mustache you chose doesn't seem to match Fado's new age. Most of the features you gave the slim-shouldered lad make me think he's in his teens, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone below their mid-twenties who can grow that much legit hair on the sides of their mouth, much less before they can grow anything on their jaw line. Perhaps something a bit more wispy on the upper lip and maybe a bit of chin stubble would fit better.

Here's a little progress on Fado the younger.

youngfado.png

The middle row is more concerned with changes. The second mug on this row expands his shoulder-guards out two pixels each. The third fixes a problem that's been bugging me for a while. After that are a couple other 'staches that I'm experimenting with.

The row below it is the blinking animation. C+C?

• 1 month later...

youngfado.png

Progress so far on Fado's mugs. Main problem right now is the eyes.

Oh, and there's an in-battle sprite o' him on there, too.

younghayden.png

Here's meh progress on Hayden the younger, as well. Bask in his horrible hair design! Also a battle sprite of him. C+C?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Woo, it's been a while.

youngfado.png

...And if you look to your right, you can see some more progress on Fado.

K, so in this group of four, I first tried a new eye design, more matching of Ephraim. Also tried new hairstyles for him. C+C?

Oh yeah, I also fixed his jaw.

Edited by MarioKirby

• 1 month later...

Still alive! And still spriting, too.

And a lot of it:

Here's proof

This is a collection of battle-sprite stuff that has accumulated over atleast a year or two. Ask about specifics if you want, there's too much for me to tell what's what right now.

So...I'm trying to make a full set of Soldier-class animations. Bear in mind that this is my first attempt at a full-fledge animation, so it may not be great.

In fact, summone's gonna have to animate the actual sprites for me.

Here it is, BTW.

If anyone wishes to animate, please keep the following in mind:

-Animate as if it were in an actual game. (IE, battle scene.)

-The third sprite is to be held for a second or two.

A'ight. C+C?

Edited by MarioKirby

• 3 weeks later...

More battle-sprite stuff:

Right...here.

Plus, because I feel like it, mini-descriptions on some of the more recent (And notable) stuff up there:

-Revamped Knight sprite

-Color palette tests for various characters. Guess who for the bottom-right-most three.

-Female variations of the Journeyman class-tree

-Buccaneer sprite (Sword-wielding Pirate, essentially)

-Mage class-line (Mage->Sage->Arcwizard)

-Battle sprite for one of my personal characters

-Revamped Mercenary class-line (Mercenary->Hero->Legend)

-Battle sprites for Fado the younger (Most recent design is near the bottom)

-Battle sprites for Hayden the younger

C+C?

• 4 weeks later...

NEW MUG AND STUUF!

...kinda. More like work on an old one.

fesamusmug.png

So, more outline work on Samus's left shoulder guard. I know the thing ain't in the size limit. Here helmet is, strangely enough.

Also strange, my old Mario mug is also hack-insertable. Anyway, C+C?

• 4 weeks later...

So, I tried fixing up my entry for the 15th Splice Comp. Notably the dude's cape.

set15entry.png

Here's what I got. C+C?

Comparing it with the original mug, that cloak looks 100% better. It's much smoother and uncluttered. I also like how you removed that crazy loose piece of hair on the right, it was pretty distracting. For further fixes, try doing something about the poofiness of his hair - it's way too big on the top/back of his head and on the right. You should also clean up the ear/ near side of the face area. There are some pixels on that strand of hair/sideburn that clutter things up, making it look like he's wearing an earring or something on first glance. (With a puffy wig + earring, he probably takes on a personality you aren't looking to convey... XD Like he's some hair rocker from the 80's, haha.)

Looking good though, keep at those fixes :)

Edited by Astelaine

• 2 weeks later...

Near shoulder is now much too small, it looks like it cuts into his chest and trap space a fair bit.

Changing the hair section into trim looks pretty good, the scratch on the armor doesn't seem to work too well imo. The added trim on the far side of the top pad is also kinda messy ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So, I saw my old mug for Yunil (The blue-haired chick in the first post.) today and was like, "That sucks. I'm sure I could make a better version." So I did. Somewhat. I'm still in the process of making it.

Here's so far:

yunilmugsheet.png

Old on the left, new in the gray area on the right. Still needs to be shaded in general, but what is there, please critique.