FE5 Translation Patch Help?

Original Alear

I wanted to play through the game again, but I'm having problems setting things up.

The patch I tried is the one listed at http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13651&view=&hl=translation&fromsearch=1

There are actually three IPS patches. (H-ROM) keeps the game from running (black screen) and (NP) doesn't seem to effect it at all, while (ROM) works somewhat. My method for applying these patches was to rename them to be identical to the rom I am using and then running the rom with ZSNES.

However, when using (ROM), the following problems occur:

The menu commands seem to have been translated effectively. However, a few problems spring up:

-the game freezes part of the way through the opening to chapter 1 (the music keeps playing though). But if I skip it, I can get to CH 1.

-text in the boxes seems OK. The convo w/ leidrick, and then the convo between the fianna braves seem fine.

-Every few seconds of gameplay, every unit but Finn turns into a blurred white box.

-The name labels and stat screens are messed up (especially finn, eyval, leaf).

-When I try to command a unit, I can make their movement tiles appear, but when I select a space to move to the game freezes.

-I can begin/end turns w/out anything going on, but there's no hope of a "beat Thracia without player phase" victory on account of the enemy units not moving to attack me.

I have attached a few pictures. Note that the "Finn withstands" picture is a little funny - for whatever reason, he's immune to the glitch afflicting all other units (it also afflicts the boss, Tania, Dagda and Marty).

All these problems seem to be rooted in the application patch, since they do not occur otherwise.

If anyone has suggestions on an emulator they know works with the patch (I'm using the most recent version of ZSNES) please give your suggestions.

I dunno if discussion of where to get a good FE5 rom is allowed on here, but if it is I'd like suggestions on that as well.

This problem sounds a bit familiar, but my memory isn't keeping with me.

Just to be completely sure, the game runs fine without the patch, right?

Ya it does. I mean, I played the first chapter for three turns and everything seems to work fine. (battle anims and everything)

Did you make sure to backup the clean ROM before applying a patch and try the next patch on a clean copy?

I didn't try it originally, but I did keep a backup of the clean rom (and the clean patches as well). Now that I've done this, the (ROM) patch seems to be working fine.

The only issue is that the script in the intro of the first chapter seems to be a little loopy. It goes like this:

rn coast of Thracia.

Fiana was an independent village run by a swordswoman named Eyvel, and she led a band of fighters to protect the neighboring villages from bandit attacks. Eyvel gave Leaf and his comrades a warm welcome, and Leaf gradually grew up among other youths who resided in Fiana.

together with his loyal knight Finn and his daughter Nanna, proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia.

shaking off pursuits from the eastern Granbell Empire, Leaf fled to various cities such as Alster and Tahra before finally arriving at Fiana, a small village on the eastern coast of Thracia.

Fiana was an independent village run by a swordswoman named Eyvel, and she led a band of fighters to protect the neighboring villages from bandit attacks. Eyvel gave Leaf and his comrades a warm welcome, and Leaf gradually grew up among other youths who resided in Fiana.

And now, in the Gran year 776...

:D

If anyone thinks this is a symptom indicating that further problems will be likely, I'd appreciate any further suggestions. But I'm pretty sure I can live with this without much regrets, especially if it doesn't happen in later chapters.

Thanks for the help! I loved this game last time.

EDIT-BTW, I just have one gameplay related question to ask, just thought I might try to get it out of the way here.

I never did chapter 21x, cuz I restarted if units were captured or killed. Are there any items available during that chapter that make it worth getting someone captured to play? Or, another way of putting it is, is the chapter any fun? Is it worth doing?

Edited by SeverIan

The only issue is that the script in the intro of the first chapter seems to be a little loopy. It goes like this:

rn coast of Thracia.

together with his loyal knight Finn and his daughter Nanna, proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia.

shaking off pursuits from the eastern Granbell Empire, Leaf fled to various cities such as Alster and Tahra before finally arriving at Fiana, a small village on the eastern coast of Thracia.

And now, in the Gran year 776...

:D

If anyone thinks this is a symptom indicating that further problems will be likely, I'd appreciate any further suggestions. But I'm pretty sure I can live with this without much regrets, especially if it doesn't happen in later chapters.

Thanks for the help! I loved this game last time.

My guess is that Shaya didn't fix that up.

My guess is that Shaya didn't fix that up.

That and the glitched Mercenaries.

I never did chapter 21x, cuz I restarted if units were captured or killed. Are there any items available during that chapter that make it worth getting someone captured to play? Or, another way of putting it is, is the chapter any fun? Is it worth doing?

Edited by Vergil