FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

So how is mapping of the executable coming?!

Most likely non-existent : o

Which file would this likely be? The closest thing I can think of is the main.dol file, which seems to contain a lot of technical data.

I really want to modify Radiant Dawn, but this seems like more work than I care to do. Is it possible to hack FE similar to how the Smash Bros community hacks Brawl? They run .GCTs off an SD card through Homebrew, and have some programs that allow for really simple editing. It's a whole lot quicker and easier than going through all the crap it takes to edit FE now.

Do you have any links to any pages that detail this procedure?

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely non-existent : o

Which file would this likely be? The closest thing I can think of is the main.dol file, which seems to contain a lot of technical data.

Do you have any links to any pages that detail this procedure?

I'm not sure exactly how it's done. I let the more computer-literate people handle the technical stuff. I just know that it works, and it's ridiculously quick and easy. I'm sure you can find someone on the following board (or any of the Smash Bros Workshop sub-boards) that can tell you everything you need to know.

Here is the link: http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=232

I really hope there is some way to apply the same techniques to FE.

I really want to modify Radiant Dawn, but this seems like more work than I care to do. Is it possible to hack FE similar to how the Smash Bros community hacks Brawl? They run .GCTs off an SD card through Homebrew, and have some programs that allow for really simple editing. It's a whole lot quicker and easier than going through all the crap it takes to edit FE now.

I think this thread is what you are looking for:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17912

If you need more information I think the OP, Bryan, can help you out.

FE9 skill editor and required text file. Been messing around with FE9 a little lately.

Hopefully my better PC gets fixed so I can hack the game. I'm particulary interested in what the female Bishop's Flare looks like, as well as Ashnard's mastery skill (which doesn't seem to be defined, but I'm guessing it's either Luna or Stun).

Oops, almost forgot the most important bit. The skill editor is meant for the FE8data.bin file, but note that editing this file by itself doesn't change a thing. You need to LZ77-decompress the System.cmp file and insert the FE8data.bin file into the decompressed System.cmp from 0x220 and onwards.

Edited by VincentASM

My better PC just got fixed, so now I can hack FE9/10 again!

That said, I probably won't be doing any real hacking for a long time, unless its important.

In any case, I saw Ashnard's Luna animation, except I forgot Dolphin screws up the dragon models so I saw a whole lot of distorted shapes. I do know that his Luna works completely fine, although it's possible that classes share the same animations for all Mastery skills, so his Mastery doesn't necessarily have to be Luna (I seem to recall he can activate his Mastery using a Javelin, which rules out Astra, Sol and maybe some other skills).

Next, I tested out some map models that I overlooked initially. It turns out there are three at least three models that aren't called in the FE8data file, but appear in the FE8Effect file.

Deghinsea - Looks pretty cool, I'm assuming this was designed for the Laguz meeting, along with Caineghis's model.

Promoted Sothe - AFAIK, he doesn't have his own battle model, but this is pretty strong evidence that he was going to promote at one stage. Argh, I failed to screenshot his moving frames >___<

Older(?) Sanaki - The main thing I wanted to check out this time.

Long before FE9 was released, there was leaked information that correctly predicted a lot of aspects, but there were two things that didn't show up - an older Soren and an older Sanaki. The older Soren was probably Sephiran, but who on earth was this "older Sanaki"? I think we have an answer now : )

From what I can tell, older Sanaki is just a little shorter than Boyd and probably a bit taller than Mist. I'm told that she has a noticable chest, which leads me to believe that this version is older than her RD version.

Here's older Sanaki's textures, and regular Sanaki's textures for reference. I know what chibi means, but no clue what deka could be referring to... Also, her face looks kind of evil, but it could just be me.

Also, while I'm here, I also noticed that Elincia and Elena have very similar map models. The only other female Priest/Bishop is Laura and her model looks different to both's. I always had a feeling that Elincia was like a mother figure.

Edited by VincentASM

I think this thread is what you are looking for:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17912

If you need more information I think the OP, Bryan, can help you out.

Thanks but not quite. That's the method I'm referring to, but what I'd like to do is edit the RD data in the same manner that Project Smash Attacks edits Brawl data, and then compile the codes into a .GCT and run the codes from the SD.

• 2 months later...
Guest Goldie

I always knew Serenesforest hacked the games long before I did.. like an above post you happened to discover Ashnard's Stun animations long before I tried it. I was wondering.. If I were to show you pictures of what I see while hacking the game with usbgecko, would you be able to understand it just as well as your method? Here's an example:

44857534.png

This is data for Zelgius.(Radiant Dawn) Green is his model/skin data, purple is his class, colored teal is his enemy-side, team, etc. data, red is his slot in the memory, affiliation, level and exp.

Pink is his spot on the map, light green is used for putting units on the map during prep, also tells the game if they're commander, if they die you get a game over, if they're carrying someone, and if they've made a move and can't move again.. also used when forcing you to keep Ike and such on your team.

Blue is the HP left, the 2 next are for sleeping data, etc., next 2 is for movement, and last 2 for Con.

Light orange is Affinity and all of his stats at the moment.. as you can see he's at his base stats.

Brown is where skills are stored, light blue is if the skill is locked, innate and such.

rd2u.png

Again, brown is skills and pink is for locked, innate, etc. skills this time. Dark grey is where carried items are stored, blue is the quantity. The 8 on the first blue is the Iron Sword being equipped and 4 is it being locked. Switching the 8 to a 9 will make it blessed. 0 is having it unequipped and 1 would be blessed unequipped.

Right after the blue is the name for forged weapons and the increased stats for it. You can rename any weapon and forge them with this.

rd3.png

Last one, yellow is weapon ranks.. 14B is SS for Sword, FB S for Lance.

Colored Teal is nothing important this time.

Green is who your unit is supported to, which uses the model/skin data as well. Black is all the available supports. 32 would be ready to start a C support, 64 I think for B and 96 for A. 33, 65 and 97 will automatically start the support.. however it only takes affect once the green has someone's data there, so no multiple supports.

Brown is Biorhythm data.

I might of left some things out, well.. you probably already know all of this already - however I'm just wondering. There's still a few things I've left to find, but if you're interested I can show other areas like weapon data, etc.

I mention all of this because, maybe you could help in finding things I've been looking for.. and maybe I can help you in I'm not sure which way lolz

Well, that's about it!

Edited by Goldie

The method I was referring to initially makes the whole hacking process about as difficult as using Nightmare for hacking. It's really that simple, and doesn't require anything else. In Brawl, you can use PSA to modify each character's .pac file, which contains all of their individual data, including power, knockback,speed, and launch angle for all of their moves among many other things. Modifying the .gct can change things like game physics, title screens, etc. And then you use save those files to an SD card, and load the game with gecko to apply the codes. It's like a "soft-hack," it uses the original game disk and just modifies the code through gecko using the codes from the SD card in place of the originals. I just want to know if the same type of editing can be done in Radiant Dawn.

Seems like FE10 uses the same BRSTM files that Brawl does:

However, I'm not sure why, but when I replace the "March" music with Zelgius's battle music "The Strong" straight from extracting the BRSTM in the game, there are some loop issues ._.

Edit (After some experimentation): It turns out that the music WILL NOT LOOP if you have a song bigger than the original if it is a battle song... I haven't tried overwriting any big songs and see if they have the same case... (Probably why replacing "March" with "The Strong" wasn't a good idea)

This happened to me while trying to replace the short song "March" with any of the FE9 battle music...

I'm assuming the 889kb "On Glory's Wings" also applies...

The ones I was successfully able to replace was "Eternal Bond" map music with my own mix of the "action-ish war music" of the opening movie (not in the video) and then "Time of Action" with "Clash" from FE9...

Edit #2: Nope, it seems it doesn't matter how big the file is... it's HOW LONG the original song is... before it loops again... I got it smaller than "March", however it still cut off before I heard a distinct noise before the loop point I made...

Edited by shadowofchaos

Guest Goldie

The method I was referring to initially makes the whole hacking process about as difficult as using Nightmare for hacking. It's really that simple, and doesn't require anything else. In Brawl, you can use PSA to modify each character's .pac file, which contains all of their individual data, including power, knockback,speed, and launch angle for all of their moves among many other things. Modifying the .gct can change things like game physics, title screens, etc. And then you use save those files to an SD card, and load the game with gecko to apply the codes. It's like a "soft-hack," it uses the original game disk and just modifies the code through gecko using the codes from the SD card in place of the originals. I just want to know if the same type of editing can be done in Radiant Dawn.

Yes, pretty sure it's possible. I'm not that good sadly. :/

The game's pretty simple to hack.. if there's a Brawl hacker who ever catches their eye on it and feels like doing what's been done to Brawl - I'm sure it wouldn't take them long at all.

Thanks for the notes, Goldie. This is still memory hacking, right? I don't usually do it, but I did do some tinkering around with it in the past.

However, I'm not sure why, but when I replace the "March" music with Zelgius's battle music "The Strong" straight from extracting the BRSTM in the game, there are some loop issues ._.

I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but you could try this:

1. LZ77-decompress the sound_data.cms (or was it .cmp?) file in the Sound directory and open it in a hex editor.

2. Go to 0x16D8 and you should land on two bytes with a value of 01 53.

3. Change the 01 53 to 01 37 and save your file.

4. Recompress the sound_data file and see if it works or not.

This should shorten down the loop time for "March", so that if it's replaced with "The Strong", it will loop correctly. I can't hack FE10 right now so I can't check if it will work. Personally, I doubt it, but you never know.

This should shorten down the loop time for "March", so that if it's replaced with "The Strong", it will loop correctly. I can't hack FE10 right now so I can't check if it will work. Personally, I doubt it, but you never know.

O_O

March is shorter than The Strong in the first place ._.

I'll got try it anyways... and I'll try increasing too...

Edited by shadowofchaos

Oh, "March" is the longer one? Well, shortening it might not be a completely bad idea. It's possible that the game doesn't use the entire portion of the song, especially if the rest of the song is just repeated anyway.

Oh, "March" is the longer one? Well, shortening it might not be a completely bad idea. It's possible that the game doesn't use the entire portion of the song, especially if the rest of the song is just repeated anyway.

no no no no, March is shorter than The Strong... and when you said "Shorten the loop time for March"... you're making it smaller? ._.?

Anyways, I'm following your instructions, I'm gonna test out the ISO in about 5 minutes... it ALWAYS takes that long, compared to how simple Nightmare editing in the GBA is... XD

(Btw, what's the sound_data_en.cms then?)

Edit: Your suggestion didn't work ._. I'll try increasing it then, or even messing with the "sound_data_en.cms"

Edit #2: I tried changing it to 01 37 like you said, even for BOTH files (the "sound_data.en.cms" too) and it didn't work... I also tried changing it to 01 80 to see if that worked... "The Strong" still kept getting cut off when I have it replace "March"... I give for now :P

Edited by shadowofchaos

Did anybody find where/how to edit the characters' base stats and level? I was assuming that they were going to be found in either the data.cms or their stages that they appear in's .bins in the bgmap section. Sad thing is that I can't find them ?

Bases are covered in Part 1 of this guide, starting levels are in Part 15 (I haven't determined how to edit levels, but it should be found in the dispos files, ala FE9/11).

Oh, really? It's just Class Base + Stat Additions? And starting levels aren't to be found. Hmm.

Guess I'll have to make the base stats minor enough so characters won't become overpowered, but at the very least survivable and playable. Okay, thanks.

And just to be sure, is there a way to increase exp gain, specifically for laguz?

Edited by z2000

• 3 weeks later...

In reply to the first two posts, I've got something to ask:

- Can certain event data be modified? I want to cancel the auto-class changes and make Ike, Micaiah and Sothe change class normally.

Sorry about necomacing this post. But I've got a couple of items to add on this topic. I was at the WiiRD board with Goldie a year or so ago, and these issues are skill related.

With this one, Micaiah, Sothe, and Ike all have hidden skills that lock them out of leveling up to their next class. Removing that skill will allow them to class up normally and they'll ignore the script to auto promote at the pre-defined point in the game.

Although playing around with this, Ike has at least 2 Auto-promote scripts. The one everyone in the game normally sees, and a second one before entering the tower.

Although playing around with this, Ike has at least 2 Auto-promote scripts. The one everyone in the game normally sees, and a second one before entering the tower.

There's actually some (presumedly) unused script right before entering the tower where Yune promotes Ike. I guess they thought promoting then would be too late and decided for him to promote a bit earlier.

Yune

Ike, Ike! You do plan to include yourself in that group of 11, don't you?

Ike

Yes, of course.

Yune

You can't go like that. Come here.

Ike

Hey, thanks. I feel great! I'm going to get going now.

Edited by VincentASM