The Last Promise

Crimson Red

Adamant isn't Silver

...I realised that when I went back to this chapter and spotted a few Silver weapon wielding enemies (not to mention visited the local armoury). But by then I had no internet access to correct the mistake. Still, at least now I know why a Might 15 weapon was losing out to a Might 10 one. Thanks!

And on that note, it's back to crawling through Galagar's horde of Imperial juggernauts, one painful square at a time...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Adamant Lance is unique, I apologize for the confusion.

And yes, v2.1 only does small bug fixes so you should be fine switching saves--that's what the update patches are for, though you can always patch on a clean ROM and move things over as well. =) (I do, however, suggest backing up your ROM [EDIT: and save file(s)] before updating, just to be safe.)

Edited by Blazer

A couple of questions:

What are the requirements for using the angelic wing? None of my units are able to use it for some reason.

Althares can't promote, is that one of the glitches?

@Althares You used a fell contract when he's level 10+?

and Angelic Wing requires all stats to be 10 or above and the class to be promoted. I'm not sure if the level has to be 10 but that MAY be a requirement.

I'm using version 2.0, so I don't know if it was fixed in 2.1. And I think maybe the wings don't work on someone that has used Galagar to max stats, but I'll have to check. Turns out you have to use the wings on the map, they can't be used in the preparation menu.

And can you recruit that npc unit from the ninth star? If so how?

Also, nice hack. I'm really enjoying it, although the tenth star is kicking my ass. I'm trying to get through it without losing anyone.

Edited by Zephiel16

Uh, I was just experimenting with Chaos Mode, and... you may want to address this Blazer:

FETLPChaos1_zpsec08eedf.png

FETLPChaos2_zpsff872944.png

...Because the 'R' button is busy scuppering your carefully laid plans to confuse the heck out of us!

Edited by Wayward Winds

Also, frankly, making the commands ??? is kinda dumb, especially if they're in the same order as before. If you're planning on changing them, that's also dumb and just creates fake difficulty where there doesn't need to be any.

ding ding ding

Congrats, you're the winner!

You don't get the idea of chaos mode yet. That's okay. But listen well.

I can almost guarantee it will not appeal to people looking for any sort of well-made series of changes, real difficulty, "good decisions", logic, etc., meaning it won't appeal to a lot of people. That being said, it may seem pointless to make in the first place, and I suggest you and others quit trying to make logic out of it because you (probably) won't be able to; your best bet is to just accept that it is catered towards certain people and contains abstract concepts that have little value to you.

The "fun" is in how stupid, silly, random, pointless, etc. it is, for me to make and for some people to play--naturally if all those of qualities have no real value to you, then the entire mode will have no value to you, and I completely understand that, but at the same time I do ask that people are respectful of my choices as a creator and as of people's choices as players to play what they want, no matter how bad it may seem--yes, that may even mean respecting the people who play GhebFE. Then again a lot of people aren't mature enough to do that, to just leave things be... which is fine, but I will simply draw the line and have to ignore people at that point. :P

Naturally that means I am slowly expecting a LOT more comments about yours and should probably just link to this post to save myself the breath, haha.

That being said if you do want some semblance of sanity hard mode -may- be your fit though despite my willingness to try to make it a decent set of edits, I'm still only an amateur and even at my best I am only average. ;)

@Wayward yup, my (one) betatester actually mentioned that. Yes, if you are smart enough to hit the "R" button, you can see the info. I do in fact occasionally reward the player for using their brain instead of making everything based on trial and error. On that note, this game is totally into getting you into a comfort zone and then changing things on you because that tends to have more of an impact than just throwing out crazy twists IMO. For instance, no, not all units are greyed out for every chapter ever, nor are you going to have the exact same unit placement all over, and likewise, the game will try to keep you on your toes and not overuse certain silly gimmicks TOO much. (The fact that units are greyed in the prologue carries over to the next chapter and actually is used as part of a deeper trick in that chapter--however, it's not as suspicious because the units were already greyed out the last chapter. If you play chapter 1 in a few turns, you'll see what I mean, probably).

Anyhow, to wrap up what I was saying before to The Iron Rose, I'm not defending Chaos Mode so much as I am trying to (once again) establish what the hell it is. I mean, you do realize I skipped an entire chapter on the basis of "no one wants to see gary sturdsman" and turned almost every enemy unit in chapter 3 into archers, right? Along with 1 vision fog of war, a wall of knights used to form a lackluster maze, etc... do you really think any of this is legit? no way. but I'm having a blast anyway. It's much more fun than trying to make normal FE chapters. The Constellation was more fun to make than normal chapters as well. :P

I think the short of it is; if you don't have a sense of humour, you probably shouldn't bother playing it. I do have a sense of humour (albeit a weird one), I'm not dissecting it as I would a university/college assignment (aka, trying to resort to logic), and thus I'm laughing my way through. Every sneaky little trick (especially if it catches me off guard) is another tick in my book and another snigger in my throat.

Edited by Wayward Winds

Well, thank god Blazer didn't find it "fun" to randomly give 200 Crit weapons to some of the bandits in Ch1. Because if you found it annoying and tedious, you'd be rrrrrrreally lacking in humour and good taste, unlike all those nice people who enjoyed it.

Or add a randomized hidden time limit in Ch3 that warps you back to the beginning of the game. You know... FUN!

No, seriously, you don't just assume that if someone finds your idea bad, it's necessarily that they didn't get it. There's a good chance that the person knows what you were going for, but it's just bad and you don't notice it. Really. I've given it a try, and it's more messy and random than most Ragefest stuff I've seen. I realize it's just a demo, but c'mon. Randomly placed fire tiles? Inventories messed up all over the place? Little to no actually new, funny dialogue?

Heck, I miss the random "Siegfried visits first village and dies" from the FEE3 showcase. It's simple, just needs a few funny lines to explain it, and it doesn't completely ruin a chapter's worth of effort.

At least I chuckled at the early-game axe user thing. A demonstration that making fun of a glaring flaw takes priority over solving said flaw, that's the sad kind of funny. : [

Edited by Miacis

Miacis hit it on the head.

I get what you're going for, a stupid, ragefest, bullshit hard mode. And that's fine. I get that, I'm just saying that there are good ways to do it and bad ways to do it.

Matthew's Nightmare is an excellent example, though likely not applicable to Chaos Mode in particular.

Let me rephrase. Bullshit difficulty is fine. Random deaths are fine.

Stupid shit that will confuse you for a few minutes and doesn't let you use the tools you have, creatively, to solve the challenges you're giving people? That's just dumb. I get the hack, I like the idea.

I'm just saying you made a dumb decision. Which is fine, we all do it, I'm just saying it's dumb.

Also fuck GhebFE.

Rather, it doesn't click with you. It doesn't appeal to you. The issue is when people refuse to acknowledge the fact that it can appeal to other people, or simply complain about it because it doesn't appeal to them instead of taking it for what it is. "It's intended to be bad? WTF kind of bullshit is this?" is the kind of closed-mind thinking that disappoints me.

No one expects you to like it, but I'd appreciate if suggestions are more on the "help the intent of the game" side than "make it something that I'd like that directly conflicts with the game" side. Chaos mode is not for a lot of people. All of your complaints are stupid to me because they're about things that are intended to be that way.

Just because you intended things to be that way doesn't mean it's the right thing to cut yourself off from a large part of your audience? In fact, it probably should be sounding an alarm if you already know that a lot of people who liked TLP won't enjoy your new hack at all anymore.

But then, considering you just gave a speech about how people who enjoyed it have basically better tastes/humour/tolerance than the ones who don't, I suppose you're seeing it as a way to differenciate the royals from the rabble, or something. With flattering like that, it doesn't surprise me that you received a "relatively positive general reaction"... :/:

But hey, if you say it's registered, I'm certain we won't see anymore diatribes blaming players for not liking things. That's nice to know. : ]

Edited by Miacis

There's a solution for people who don't like chaos mode. It's called normal mode. Seriously, you can't download something called chaos mode and not expect, well, chaos. It's not the main game, it's an optional patch.

So is literally every other patch on this site, does that mean they are immune from criticism?

Just because you intended things to be that way doesn't mean it's the right thing to cut yourself off from a large part of your audience? In fact, it probably should be sounding an alarm if you already know that a lot of people who liked TLP won't enjoy your hack at all anymore.

But then, considering you just gave a speech about how people who enjoyed it have basically better tastes/humour/tolerance than the ones who don't, I suppose you're seeing it as a way to differenciate the royals from the rabble, or something. With flattering like that, it doesn't surprise me that you received a "relatively positive general reaction"... :/:

So you're saying people that have enjoyed TLP will not do so anymore after playing Chaos mode? Sounds like a stupid escalation. They will continue to like the game even after attempting chaos mode because chaos mode is not the game, it is simply a shitty mode.

By positive reactions, he probably means that people hated it, which is the way he intended.

So is literally every other patch on this site, does that mean they are immune from criticism?

Yeah, Chaos mode is not immune to criticism. However your criticism does not matter when compared to the big picture. Chaos mode is a mode. No matter how shitty it is, it should not detract from the original game because the original game does not force you to play it.

So you're saying people that have enjoyed TLP will not do so anymore after playing Chaos mode? Sounds like a stupid escalation. They will continue to like the game even after attempting chaos mode because chaos mode is not the game, it is simply a shitty mode.

By positive reactions, he probably means that people hated it, which is the way he intended.

Yeah, Chaos mode is not immune to criticism. However your criticism does not matter when compared to the big picture. Chaos mode is a mode. No matter how shitty it is, it should not detract from the original game because the original game does not force you to play it.

Except I'm not talking about the original game. The original game is fine, I like the original game.

I find Chaos mode to be underplanned, underdeveloped, overhyped and dumb.

Not because it throws bullshit at you, that's fine. But because it's stupid about it. Shit like the ??? instead of the item or attack button is utterly pointless, temporarily inconveniencing, and doesn't allow the player to creatively use the toolkit given to solve challenges. Unfair crap is fine. Stupid crap isn't.

There's a reason why some ragefest hacks are terrible and others aren't. That metric is not how much irrelevant, random crap you can throw at the screen.

It's the usual routine of every website with fan works... "If you have anything negative to say, regardless of the number of things you actually enjoy in this production, then by all means, stop playing the hack and don't say anything about it ever again. You're hurting our feelings with your constructive criticism."

And before Blazer pops up to say I'm an immature hater who only complains and didn't offer any constructive criticism, let me rephrase the criticism I already offered, which he appears to have completely missed:

• Clean up the inventories. Characters should not have Javelins running around everywhere. You can make use of them instead of leaving them unchecked.
  • Put those fire tiles in actually challenging locations. Places where we don't really expect them, but aren't just lol-random and force us to use the exact same strategy, only by using an identical tile one space away.
  • Make better use of your dialogue options. It'll keep the players going if ever one of your tricks caused too much grief to that person.
  • Pretty much what The Iron Rose said about the ??? thing. It really doesn't add anything past (maybe) the Prologue.

In other words, your hack is more interesting for its tricks than for its tedium. No one like stupid tedium, not even the supposedly elite audience you're reserving that hack for. So, as someone who enjoyed some parts of your hack, please focus more on the former and less on the latter.

I enjoyed the Ch1 boss trick. I kinda enjoyed the wall of archers. I enjoyed the positionning of the Axe user in Ch3. I... kinda enjoyed the Ch2 text? I also liked the Siegfried village death in the Prologue, which looks like was removed.

So no, I will not listen to people who ask me to stop playing that mode at once. The overall result may be more "bad kind of bad" than "good kind of bad" to me, but I still want to see and play more.

Seriously, why the heck would I waste my time arguing here with Blazer if I had any intention of not playing more of it? :dry:

So you're saying people that have enjoyed TLP will not do so anymore after playing Chaos mode?

No, I meant "Chaos mode" by "your hack" in that quote. I guess it was a bit ambiguous. *fix'd*

Edited by Miacis

• Put those fire tiles in actually challenging locations. Places where we don't really expect them, but aren't just lol-random and force us to use the exact same strategy, only by using an identical tile one space away.
that would require that blazer actually played the games instead of just hacking them

It doesn't matter who or what you're criticizing. It's up to the creator of the hack/patch/etc. to decide what they want to do with any criticism they receive, regardless if it's good or bad. You're not forced to play any hack out there, and the creator isn't forced to change anything just because you don't like it.

It doesn't matter who or what you're criticizing. It's up to the creator of the hack/patch/etc. to decide what they want to do with any criticism they receive, regardless if it's good or bad. You're not forced to play any hack out there, and the creator isn't forced to change anything just because you don't like it.

I don't believe anyone suggested they were obliged to make their product exactly according to my specifications?

Seriously it's like y'all don't, in fact, understand the point of criticism.

I don't believe anyone suggested they were obliged to make their product exactly according to my specifications? Seriously it's like y'all don't, in fact, understand the point of criticism.

Then why do you and miacis keep pushing the issue after blazer has already explained himself? Twice.

And please, we don't understand. Feel free to teach us all the point of criticism, if you would.

Edited by FalconVegeta1986