Furetchen's Highly Opinionated and Probably Inaccurate Ratings

Okay, let's jump on the bandwagon of rating people in a game where everyone can solo the game with a little help from level one of the Tower. So, let's get this over with.

Arright, so...

10; Seth

9.5; Gerik, Colm

9; Cormag (Eph), Joshua

8.5; Eirika (Eir), Kyle

8; Cormag (Eir), Moulder

7.5; Natasha

7; Eirika (Eph)

6.5; Tana (Eir), Garcia

6; Myrrh, Gilliam

5.5; Tana (Eph)

5;

4.5;

4; Dozla, L'Arachel (Eir)

3.5; L'Arachel (Eph), Neimi

3; Syrene

2.5; :KnollRoll:

2; Marisa

1.5; Ewan

1; Orson (heh)

0.5; Amelia (wait, what?! WHAT?!)

Okay, I'm ranking in an almost completely random order. Basically, when I get one done, the next person to nominate a unit I rank next ... well, I rank that unit next.

So I'm starting with Dozla, because I like Dozla a lot.

Okay, what does Dozla have going for him? Being a 'Zerker, and having a lot of HP and Str. Also, Axes.

...That's it.

Well, he can certainly take hits for your guys for a while. Having pathetic Def and Res, he can tank physical and magic equally well. And if you let him counter with, say, a Steel Axe...anyone can probably take him from there. Sure, Gimli's gonna need a healer, but Saleh with a Mend staff'll get him back to full.

Supports. Lessee....L'Arachel probably ain't happening, Myrrh ain't happening, if we're using Rennac he definitely won't be in the front lines with Dozla...and it's slow, and Dark's rubbish...lol, Ewan...and Garcia's slow, but has a chance of happening. Maybe. At any rate his talkeration skills are shite.

So all in all Dozla is a one-trick pony...straight hit-for-hit trading with enemies...but it's a damn good trick. Unfortunately, there are others who do it much better (Duessel and Gilliam can pull off the same thing without taking much damage), and he might eat it before we even recruit him if we're going Eph Route. But overall, Dozla isn't a bad unit. But he has nothing unique in a game of exceptional units. So yeah, Dozla is in my book a bland FOUR.

4/10.

So, who should I rate next? Is this thread a waste of time? Should I have large bricks thrown at my head in shame?

...'kay, let's not go there. But joking aside, constructive criticism would really help.

Edited by Trompe le Monde

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cormag it is. Give me a second to get some actual...y'know, evidence. I figure he'll get an eight or nine.

Damn, it hurt to bash Dozla.

EDIT: And yes, I hate pegasi, so Syrene's gonna get panned. I'll try and retain some logic for Vanessa though.

Edited by Furetchen

Cormag it is. Give me a second to get some actual...y'know, evidence. I figure he'll get an eight or nine.

Damn, it hurt to bash Dozla.

EDIT: And yes, I hate pegasi, so Syrene's gonna get panned. I'll try and retain some logic for Vanessa though.

While I love Pegasi, and Syrene, I do like seeing bad units get trashed.

CORMAG

Arright, well, I'm a fan of Wyvern Knights in general. He has a shaky start on either route, especially Eirika's, but really, you should easily be able to get him to speed very quickly. He has outstanding stats for his level (I...think) and will easily get up to speed.

His supports are total shite. As in, serious contender for worst in the game. His fastest one is Duessel...at 10+2. He matches speed with Tana, but that's even worse...0+2. So, supports are out of the window. But he's a flyer, and shouldn't need supports anyway. He starts off with 12 Def, and so could probably survive a hit from most archers. Even then he could take the Fili Shield after Chapter 15 and achieve a near-Haar level of total power.

So, essentially Cormag has it all. Good def, insane attack, doubling capabilities and flying utility. If you can be arsed to give him the couple levels he needs to catch up to the rest of the team, then he easily deserves...

9/10 Eph.

8/10 Eir.

ORSON

Orson is a piece of shite.

2/10 for existing in 5x.

Next!

Edited by Furetchen

Orson doesn't even deserve 2/10. He's unnecessary in 5x, if you use him he takes delicious XP from Forde/Kyle/Ephraim, and you want his nice loot intact at the end of the chapter anyway. Orson should get a 0 for being...bad.

Joshua.

Orson doesn't even deserve 2/10. He's unnecessary in 5x, if you use him he takes delicious XP from Forde/Kyle/Ephraim, and you want his nice loot intact at the end of the chapter anyway. Orson should get a 0 for being...bad.

Joshua.

I'm almost positive the unit is supposed to be rated by what they can do, not sandbagged because you lose em. For when you have him, he's easily your best unit.

If by "easily your best unit" you mean "certainly statistically superior but altogether unnecessary" and you also note the fact that, unlike Seth who simply mooches XP off of your other units, any XP you gain on Orson disappears forever?

Sure, he's easily the best unit in 5x.

Joshua.

Orson should at least get a 1 for getting that Silver Sword but anyways, if we're clearing efficiently Orson will definitely help a bit.

And also, is making FE8 rating topics like the new fad in SF?

Edited by Joey

For being at least Creature Campaign usable, albeit total shite, he gets 1.

For 5x he gets another 1.

Anyway, I found him necessary to clear 5x without anyone dying. I don't know if they lose their EXP and I don't want to take the chance. I mean, even just to one round a couple Archers and then meatshield the rest of the map.

Joshua, eh?

JOSHUA

Joshua is ridiculously awesome.

I mean, consider this. He doubles everything with good strength, will crit hilariously often and despite being locked to swords will still make up for it by ORKOing most things that attack him. And he gets HM bonuses, in return for being a pain in the arse to recruit (unless you don't mind Ross being a warrior to the very end). If he's an Assassin (don't make him an Assassin) with a Killing Edge/Shamshir and a Hoplon Guard he's one of the best boss killers in the game. But Assassins are just plain shite, unless they're Legault.

Moving on...

When it comes to supports, well...I hope you like WindXIce, as apart from Kyle Joshua supports every ice affinity in the game. Ice gets him a little durability, but Wind has Attack and Critical. Gerik is likely his best support. Anyway, he's fairly well-off for supports.

Overall, Joshua joins early, and starts being a whirlwind of death from the getgo. His offence is one of the best in the game, and he has stellar supports as well. He will eventually be able to dodgetank fairly well, also. In short, Joshua gets his richly deserved...

9.5/10

Who's next?

And are these in any way accurate?

Edited by Furetchen

What the...

ORSON IS LIKE DUESSEL TURNED INTO A PALADIN, JUST BETTER.

Better, and...temporary. And joins permanently later. Requiring the Creature Campaign. And GKs are better than Paladins. And Dark affinity is really goddamn bad. *continues*

Anyway. Eirika.

EIRIKA

Eirika's just...bland. Oh, she's a good enough unit overall, acting like a slightly inferior Joshua with awesome supports and a Rapier/Sieglinde, but...well, lemme put it this way.

When she joins you, Eirika's great. She has a rapier, fast Seth AnimaXLight support (as well as Ephraim and Forde, though they obviously aren't back yet) and has fair enough stats...shite Strength, lowish HP and mediocre Defence, but she's fast and has good skill and surprisingly okay Res (6.something at 20/0).

It really comes down to which route you take. On Eirika route she continues to do a pretty good job. Not bad, not great...pretty good, but not really outstanding in any way. On Ephraim route she comes back underlevelled (probably around 13, 15 at best, assuming you didn't arena abuse/lord solo/whatever.) with this game's Pent and Louise. Saleh's worse but still kills everything and Innes has good stats but is still locked to bows (heh, sureshot). So she's got a bit of catching up to do.

Anyway, in summary, Eirika's just...another rather forgettable unit, really. There isn't anything to make her stand out, but she's an above-average or at least passable swordfighter. Overall, Eirika gets a

8.5/10 Eir route

7/10 Eph route.

Next.

Edited by Furetchen

DARK AFFINITY? HORRIBLE!? Those two words are as good-paired as SainxFlorina. It gives pretty good Avo and other nice bonuses, the one you should be mistaking it with is WIND, you know, the affinity Forde has.

In all reality, his score is pretty much were it belongs due to one-chapter ability and not being that much useful when others don't have trouble killing and also want those kills.

Wind has Attack. Dark...doesn't.

Ice has Defence. Dark...doesn't.

What's so bad about Wind? Wind's just an inferior version of Fire.

I guess I got a bad memory. I don't know, she's just so...eh.

I'm probably just biased against her from personal experience though. I'll bump her up to an 8.5/7.

Look, Orson's score is like this. 1 for being a filler character if you can be fucked to do Creature Campaign. 0.5 for 5x. 0.5 for a Silver Sword earlygame.

Here's my Caellach review, for example.

CAELLACH

Hahahahahahahah! Hahahahah! Oh my god, he's...hah! *snort*

He can take a couple hits for someone useful, if you somehow get him before endgame.

1/10.

Right, who to do next?

Edited by Furetchen

CC characters shouldn't be getting a score. CC is not the main game, just a trial map to keep playing.

And Wind isn't slight inferior to Fire, Fire gives just about everything aside Crit. Avo & Def, Wind doesn't give Avo, Dark's lack of Atk isn't much important, it's not like Wind affords a good ammount of it. Wind and Ice are considered as the worse GBA affinities, Dark's not there, and I could be wrong on Ice, Wind could be alone on that.

Okay, Larry it is.

L'ARACHEL

Okay, well. Really, recruiting L'Arachel (from now referred to as 'Larry') ain't worth the trouble, at least not Eph route. I'm about to show why.

Okay, so she comes around midgame with three levels and a Mend staff. Engh. I mean, Tana was underlevelled two maps ago, and she was a level ahead!

Oh well, at least she can heal. But she's going to die very easily. And you already have a probably trained Moulder, and Lute/Artur might be promoted by now, and Saleh's coming soon...hell, even Natalie can do almost as well, sans a horse. So Larry is at best a blessing from the Department of Redundancy Department.

At least she's got good supports, a sociable, greenhaired princess like...oh, wait. The fastest one's with Dozla, who is pretty bad, and the rest ain't gonna happen. Rennac's a rogue, and out of the royals (sans Tana, including Joshua) nobody wants her.

So yeah. Larry would be a pretty good unit if she came earlier, or higher levelled, or both. But as it stands, she'll be lucky to ever make it to Valk/MK, where she will kinda flourish, I guess. But when you have healers like Moulder, Saleh, Lute, Artur and Natalie coming earlier than her, she has little going for her beyond her royal pony. L'Arachel richly deserves...

4/10 Eir

3.5/10 Eph because Chapter 11's a piece of shite.

EDIT: Technically, I believe you CAN finish Ruins/Tower before the end of the game. I think. So technically if you go through the effort, you can get a shite character. Hence, they should go n the list, but apart from Orson no higher than 1.

Edited by Furetchen

EDIT: Technically, I believe you CAN finish Ruins/Tower before the end of the game. I think. So technically if you go through the effort, you can get a shite character. Hence, they should go n the list, but apart from Orson no higher than 1.

They don't join until CC IIRC.

Eh, yer probably right. I mean, some really grindy guy could technically have a Lyon vs. Lyon showdown on his first PT...

Yeah, taking the bastards off. Orson gets a 1.

Wind and Ice are considered as the worse GBA affinities, Dark's not there, and I could be wrong on Ice, Wind could be alone on that.

Wind and Ice are both very good affinities and Dark is crap in this game when the only units who have the dark affinity are crap themselves. Even as an affinity alone, dark is pretty bad. The only thing that's decent about it is it adds crit.

At least if you pair IcexAnima such as Lute and Kyle for example an A support will net +3 DEF and +1 attack and Lute would like that +3 DEF very much, it even helps Kyle. And then if you also do B KylexColm that's another +2 DEF and +1 attack, making Kyle a beast with his already high defense and great strength. Now if Kyle had a dark affinity, all those supports would only net him +2 DEF total for an extra 12 crit, which in my opinion isn't really worth it.

And Wind can't be bad due to the fact that it adds both crit and attack. It's a very nice offensive affinity.

Oh well, at least she can heal. But she's going to die very easily. And you already have a probably trained Moulder, and Lute/Artur might be promoted by now, and Saleh's coming soon...hell, even Natalie can do almost as well, sans a horse. So Larry is at best a blessing from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Er... Do you mean Natasha?

Anyway, do... Kyle.

Edited by SlaveBlade