S Rank FE5 Tier List

Don Draper

I didn't say Pahn should be above Lifis on the list. Whether Lifis' contributions early are better than Pahn's contributions later (they probably are, mostly on account of Manster) is an entirely different matter, I just don't think it necessarily makes a whole lot of sense to assume Lifis will be doing anything after Pahn joins, just like it's odd to assume that you'd be choosing to use Matthew over Legault in FE7, although the gap between those two is probably less significant than between Lifis and Pahn.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say Pahn should be above Lifis on the list. Whether Lifis' contributions early are better than Pahn's contributions later (they probably are, mostly on account of Manster) is an entirely different matter, I just don't think it necessarily makes a whole lot of sense to assume Lifis will be doing anything after Pahn joins, just like it's odd to assume that you'd be choosing to use Matthew over Legault in FE7, although the gap between those two is probably less significant than between Lifis and Pahn.

I see that was my mistake. Although I'd still disagree that there is actually a strategic reason to ditch him since he can still pick locks and steal tomes, opposed to some cannon fodder character like Alva who is useless for the most part.

Edited by Brighton

Using Lifis and Pahn together lets you:

1. Trade Lockpick uses for Door Key uses

2. Possibly steal more Door Keys on a map

3. Rescue and carry units with 3 build or less at 7 move

I'd say there's merits to deploying Lifis after Pahn is available.

• 3 weeks later...

So are there any widely accepted methods to recruiting Xavier in a timely fashion? I recruited him once out of two playthroughs and it was a bear to go through all the preparation along with having the undesirable effect of bloating my turncount considerably.

Whenever dondon uploads his 0% growths SSS playthrough, you'll be able to see his strategy which is a 12 turn and recruits Xavier with no outstanding difficulties. Basically you want to have two sword users sleeping amours that come out of the throne room. The NPCs will talk to them even if they're asleep. Makes keeping them alive and keeping the NPCs alive a lot easier.

Hmm, interesting use of sleep sword. I was under the impression that sleep and silence prevented recruitment but maybe it's different for NPCs. Thanks for the information though.

Hmm, interesting use of sleep sword. I was under the impression that sleep and silence prevented recruitment but maybe it's different for NPCs. Thanks for the information though.

It does normally prevent recruitment with the talk command, but for whatever reason the NPCs can still talk to the armors. Thank god.

Also, you only need 1 Sleep Sword user. 2 makes it easier to manipulate where the armors fall asleep, because they can't move after they fall asleep. However, it's perfectly doable with 1; it just requires a great deal more precision and a bit of care on rescue chaining the prisoners. The other risk is that you can't afford to miss with the Sleep Sword because then you risk your Sleep Sword user getting trapped between 3 sleeping armors.

It does normally prevent recruitment with the talk command, but for whatever reason the NPCs can still talk to the armors. Thank god.

Also, you only need 1 Sleep Sword user. 2 makes it easier to manipulate where the armors fall asleep, because they can't move after they fall asleep. However, it's perfectly doable with 1; it just requires a great deal more precision and a bit of care on rescue chaining the prisoners. The other risk is that you can't afford to miss with the Sleep Sword because then you risk your Sleep Sword user getting trapped between 3 sleeping armors.

Very nice, looking forward to your videos as usual.

This tier list surprised me! Especially the placing of Salem, Eda, Selphina, Mackua, Kein, Alva, and Robert.

Salem has hit issues and is doubled too much but I see staff utility is his potential.

Is Eda's placing based on flight?

Selphina not in bottom tier? Aside weapon rank is it her skill?

Kein, Alva, and Robert being below Ronan and Dalshin seems odd because at least they have potential.

Lastly why is Mackua so low? She's base Leaf + doubling. BTW I don't see why she's so far from Shiva when she's got:

1 less PCC

2 less str

1 less spd

1 less bld

but

1 more skl

same def

better skl/spd growth

scrolls available

and 3 more chapters (4 if 4x is considered)

Edited by Queen_Elincia

2 less str
This is the main reason, I think. 4 base Str is pretty bad, and has a lower growth in it on top of that.

Shiva also has a higher weapon rank off the bat, so he can use stronger weapons to widen the damage gap even further.

Personally I think Machua's position is fine, because I don't consider her better than Selphina.

Edited by Male!Pegasus Knight

Salem's main draw is his staffs. He has C Staffs and comes relatively early in 12, so he has ample time to build up his Staff Rank to A to use Warp for the lategame chapters, and can also use the Sleep Staff without any investment. Multiple Staff users are pretty much required to clear lategame chapters like 24 and 24x, and Salem can reach A Staffs pretty easily.

Salem's combat isn't great, but he doesn't get doubled too often as long as you don't stick Jormungand on him (20 Weight kills his AS). A Wind tome is a much better choice (you can buy them).

Eda's placing is based on the turns she saves in Chapter 17. She is useful because of flight, allowing her to perform Rescue / Drop chains in a few chapters, which helps quite a bit. Selphina has the Brave Bow available at base, meaning her combat is passable for a few chapters. She's also mounted, meaning she doesn't have many problems getting to stuff.

Ronan and Dalshin are much more useful than the Lenster trio. Ronan has 7 Move at base and 15% Re-Move, and he can function in indoor rescue chains because of his high Movement. You need Ronan to complete 12x in the listed amount of turns, without using two uses of Warp. Dalshin helps out a bit in the Manster chapters. He's pretty durable during that period, and can ORKO stuff if you transferred the Brave Axe over.

In comparison, the Lenster trio have bad bases and bad PCC. They don't have great offense, and don't have nearly as much potential as many other combat units. In addition, they're pretty useless indoors, which cuts down on the amount of EXP they can gain.

Machua's main problem is that she isn't ORKOing enough. 3 PCC gives her unreliable odds at killing stuff, and her Strength isn't good enough to damage stuff without PCC. Shiva's 4 PCC gives him much better odds of killing, and Sun Sword means he's more durable as well.

Machua's contributions during the Manster chapters aren't very huge. She struggles to kill stuff due to low Strength and unreliable PCC, and she doesn't have the sword rank to use Armorslaying weapons like the Rapier and the Fire Sword.

Its so interesting how a point or 2 can change things. I still think Mackua belongs higher, because she's reliable too bad I don't have much argument ^^'

but Hezul scroll for 40% str growth raises her potential.

@Aquilae what a convincing argument ^_^ youre a genius

Im barely in ch. 13 but I'm playing very inefficiently ^^'

Edited by Queen_Elincia

Machua is still pretty useful in Manster though when she has some pretty high damage output after doubling with Steel Sword.

In terms of absolute utility, Machua is definitely more useful than Shiva, but that's only because Machua is forced in chapters 4-6.

Salem's combat isn't great, but he doesn't get doubled too often as long as you don't stick Jormungand on him (20 Weight kills his AS). A Wind tome is a much better choice (you can buy them).

Slight mistake here : Jormungand's weight is "only" 12.

Selphina is "great". She does have deathchanceritis because of Charge. I recently learned that Charge's activation is based on the amount of HP the Charge unit has compared to the opposing unit at the start of the battle, which means anything that 2HKOs Selphina can ORKO her if both hits connect. Thankfully, she has the best class for staying out of range, and her offense is awesome. Brave Bow when you need it, Killer when you don't. Her Bld blows though so sometimes she can whiff on doubling normally, but with 60 Brave Bow uses it's really a non-issue.

Granted, this is more speaking about casual playthroughs rather than S and higher ranks, which have so many Warpskipped chapters that nullify her strengths that she isn't worth more than your basic benched scrub. In fact, she probably gets left behind in an escape map.

Eda saves turns in chapter 17? Isn't that one of the best warpskip chapters? Perhaps in chapter 14 if you want to save a warp staff use. As far I can tell Eda's use is to visit villages...I'm not sure what strategy people are using though. Furthermore, Selphina's growth's are easily fixable with scrolls if anyone cares since her offense is good even at base, but..

are you even going to get the Brave bow in an S ranked run?

Machua's offense I think is being too theorized. She is the only character that can reliably double with heavier weapons during Manster and saying she can't damage armors is kind of sweeping the fact only Leaf and Fergus are able to reliable kill them under the rug(which might not happen since their speed is rather borderline and can take 3 hits at most and Fergus is limited to 1 range until he reaches B swords so he might be forced to heal instead of attacking). Moreover since armors are so dangerous you can have Lara be captured or something and she can reliably deal good damage to them with heavier weapons. If she reaches C swords after Manster her issues are gone since she can use killer weapons/rapiers to boost her offence to respectable levels. She is also around for almost the entire game so she makes a decent filler unit until she can get up to par...I can't really see someone who is decent throughout the game in low tier. Brighton can deal good damage with wrath, but most enemies attack him from 2 range and he can't double so his player phase is bad. Machua can kill mages pretty reliably in Manster too. Karin lacks the con to wield steel swords and double properly, Brighton might not double them, and Leaf and Fergus should save their HP to be countered by armors. Lifis can steal, and Lara should be capture bait...

Machua also has 6 move so which is nice when you are stuck with mounted units for awhile (highest movement combat unit in chapter 4-5). Dalshien's movement costs you a lot of turns if you don't abandon him by chapter 6...so you should...

I'd say her contributions are pretty good.

Moreover bringing the fire sword, armourslayer, and brave axe costs you more turns in chapter 4.

Edited by Brighton

Selphina = possibly best bow user from what I gather certainly shouldn't be left behind right?

I know that Selphina hates Ballistae due to charge but maybe there is an effective way to get her the Brave Bow. Yet charge turns any weapon into a brave bow which is convenient over other bow users, ballistae is her main issue as well as lack of enemy phase but she's good everywhere else.

yay pro-Mackua arguments :)

BTW if Olwen is captured can I recruit Eyrios?

Edited by Queen_Elincia

I can confirm that it's negative. Having Olwen captured means she's still alive in chapter 21x where you can rescue her.

If you do recruit her, I suggest having her be mounted and equipped a heavy sword, preferably broken, and have her go west in chapter 15 so that bandits can kill her easily. If you don't have a broken sword, an Iron Blade can do just fine, or you can have her having nothing at all, but she's a bit harder to hit.

Edited by Dark Chocolate

Eda saves turns in chapter 17? Isn't that one of the best warpskip chapters? Perhaps in chapter 14 if you want to save a warp staff use.

You don't need to get the Dragon Lance in the run. There are a lot of objectives to complete in chapter 17 in only 2 turns - kill boss, seize gate, visit village for Warp, visit village for Rescue, visit church for Sara, sleep Moore, capture Moore (and take his Warp), talk to Misha with Karin, sleep Misha, and capture Misha. Eda is most definitely necessary to do all of this.

are you even going to get the Brave bow in an S ranked run?

You certainly have the turn buffer to get the Brave Bow in an S ranked run.

Machua's offense I think is being too theorized. She is the only character that can reliably double with heavier weapons during Manster and saying she can't damage armors is kind of sweeping the fact only Leaf and Fergus are able to reliable kill them under the rug(which might not happen since their speed is rather borderline and can take 3 hits at most and Fergus is limited to 1 range until he reaches B swords so he might be forced to heal instead of attacking).

Karin doubles with heavy weapons too. 1 more base spd but 2 less bld. Brighton heavily damages armors on counter and Leaf should have no problem doing heavy damage with Light Sword since he's the best candidate for the chapter 2 Speed Ring. Felgus is almost guaranteed to ORKO with Karin support in range and has around 85 crit on his second attack without Karin support in range. Machua should never really ever fight an armor because even with someone captured, she still does something like 8 x2 or worse.

Machua can kill mages pretty reliably in Manster too.

That's really the only niche that she has, but she will actually fail to 2HKO them pretty consistently without str procs. Strictly speaking, Karin is better because she has high base mag and a bit more avo.

I concur that 6 move is definitely a great boon in chapter 5, where Brighton and Dalshin have to be moving at their maximum pace every turn for the fastest completion and Felgus and Karin can only afford to fall 1 or 2 tiles behind. Machua can fall behind in the middle of the map to KO an enemy and still catch up with rescue chaining.

Moreover bringing the fire sword, armourslayer, and brave axe costs you more turns in chapter 4.

To be honest, you need none of that. Just make sure to get the Rapier and Leaf's Light Sword, and you're all set.

Yet charge turns any weapon into a brave bow which is convenient over other bow users,

Charge requires that your HP be higher than your opponent's at the beginning of the first round of combat in order to activate. Selphina's base HP is pretty low.

You cannot.

You don't need to get the Dragon Lance in the run. There are a lot of objectives to complete in chapter 17 in only 2 turns - kill boss, seize gate, visit village for Warp, visit village for Rescue, visit church for Sara, sleep Moore, capture Moore (and take his Warp), talk to Misha with Karin, sleep Misha, and capture Misha. Eda is most definitely necessary to do all of this.

According to this:

the only thing Eda did during chapter 17 was visit a village for a magic ring >_>

I'm not seeing any turns saved...S allows for 3 turns for this chapter, though if Dean proc'd a movement star somewhere, it'd be two turned...or burn a warp use...

You certainly have the turn buffer to get the Brave Bow in an S ranked run.

Hmm...possibly, but I'd rather save turns for when a strategy goes wrong, oh turncounts are listed at 7, so I guess you take the long way around...

Karin doubles with heavy weapons too. 1 more base spd but 2 less bld. Brighton heavily damages armors on counter and Leaf should have no problem doing heavy damage with Light Sword since he's the best candidate for the chapter 2 Speed Ring. Felgus is almost guaranteed to ORKO with Karin support in range and has around 85 crit on his second attack without Karin support in range. Machua should never really ever fight an armor because even with someone captured, she still does something like 8 x2 or worse.

Karin indoors has 12 AS and 3Bld. Steel sword (heaviest sword rank lets her use) leaves her at 5 AS which won't consistantly double most armors and some soldiers, and most mages (though I could be unlucky). Though she levels fast and has a 70% speed growth. Machua has 6 AS which is very likely to double. Machua levels faster because she might actually kill something with a significantly not so worse 60% speed growth. On enemy phase he deals a ton a damage, but who should clean up? Felgus should take on a healthy armor or heal (same for Leaf if he can double and kill). Dalshien may or may not be abandoned by now. Oh look we have Machua :). Furthermore, this situation doesn't really arises beyond chapter 4X since armors always have ranged weapons. So you have 2 people who have a good chance to kill. One to weaken and one to finish it off. And Lara to severely handicap the other.

That's really the only niche that she has, but she will actually fail to 2HKO them pretty consistently without str procs. Strictly speaking, Karin is better because she has high base mag and a bit more avo.

She has access to two steel swords in Manster (one from Brighton, the other from a chest). Doubling at 13 damage at base will almost always kill a mage. Furthermore, Karin might not proc enough spd in time or miss since her skill is worse (though has Fergus support). Her niche is still valuable IMO since Asvel has trouble without using Grafcaliber, Brighton probably won't double, Karin granted is good at weakening them, Fergus might want to kill something more dangerous (same with leaf). Furthermore, mages are dangerous since they can't be countered by most units and carry critical hit weapons (Thunder) and should be taken out ASAP. Karin may not take too much damage, but she might risk getting KOed afterward by a physical enemy after she is weakened by a mage.

I concur that 6 move is definitely a great boon in chapter 5, where Brighton and Dalshin have to be moving at their maximum pace every turn for the fastest completion and Felgus and Karin can only afford to fall 1 or 2 tiles behind. Machua can fall behind in the middle of the map to KO an enemy and still catch up with rescue chaining.

I actually abandoned Dalshin at this point, but this is probably true.

To be honest, you need none of that. Just make sure to get the Rapier and Leaf's Light Sword, and you're all set.

Exactly, Machua needs no outside resources to do her job. Another lockpick may be helpful though especially in chapter 4x or 4 if you are lucky enough to get one in the first few chests...

Of course I'm only speaking from personal experience, but I definitely think Machua should be at LEAST in lower mid tier. Carrion too, but that's another issue for another time...I mean he at least has long run use if trained (it's not like deployment is ever limited so he can be deployed just to gain experience and as a combat unit for mid-lategame). Will formulate a valid argument eventually once I think of one

I also don't see what is so great about Misha considering she has horrible availability, no chapters where she can really use flier utility and awful indoor bases without 5PCC, Prf, and Charisma to save her (like Delmud).

Edit: Karin has 5 AS at base with Steel

Edited by Brighton

According to this the only thing Eda did during chapter 17 was visit a village for a magic ring >_>

The ChinaFE strategy that YayMarsha used is not the only SSS strategy out there. In fact, there are many things wrong with the ChinaFE SSS strategies in general, particularly relying on movement stars and movement growths far too often. You don't need any of that to SSS the game.

Anyway, the 2 turn strategy passes up the Magic Ring, but you don't need that either:

Turn 1

Saphy warps Asvel to 2R of gate.

Asvel KOs boss.

Salem warps Dean to Rescue house.

Dean visits Rescue house and moves 7D 2L (or maybe it was 6D 2L).

Linoan uses M Up on Sleuf.

Sleuf sleeps Moore.

Karin moves to the edge of Lara's range.

Lara dances Karin.

2 characters rescue Lara and give to Karin.

Karin moves 8U and drops Lara.

Nanna dismounts.

2 characters rescue Nanna and give to Eda.

Eda moves 8U and drops Nanna.

Turn 2

Saphy repairs Warp.

Salem warps Leaf to gate.

Karin talks to Misha, then moves to the edge of Lara's range.

Lara dances Karin.

Karin visits Warp house.

Sleuf sleeps Misha.

Nanna moves next to Misha, mounts, captures Misha.

Eda captures Moore.

Dean visits church and recruits Sara.

Sara moves next to Eda and takes Moore's Warp.

Leaf seizes.

Karin indoors has 12 AS and 3Bld.

4 bld. This invalidates most of your argument of Karin not doubling many enemies because a lot of enemies hang around 0-1 AS.

On enemy phase he deals a ton a damage, but who should clean up?

Brighton, because he can do enough damage to KO but he doesn't get Wrath on player phase.

Dalshien may or may not be abandoned by now.

Abandoning Dalshin before chapter 5 is possibly the stupidest thing that a player can do.

Furthermore, this situation doesn't really arises beyond chapter 4X since armors always have ranged weapons. So you have 2 people who have a good chance to kill. One to weaken and one to finish it off. And Lara to severely handicap the other.

You only face armors one at a time in chapter 5 except for the first group of enemies. You have Felgus, Leaf, and Asvel, who destroy them like no other.

Doubling at 13 damage at base will almost always kill a mage.

Here, let me bring up a chapter 5 save and list the defensive parameters for all 10 starting mages on the map:

20 HP, 0 def

21 HP, 3 def

21 HP, 3 def

25 HP, 3 def

22 HP, 3 def

23 HP, 5 def

22 HP, 3 def

23 HP, 3 def

24 HP, 2 def

24 HP, 3 def

13 atk 2HKOs exactly one of those. 14 atk 2HKOs six of them, but Machua realistically only has a 30-51% chance at reaching 14 atk (I had her at 3.58 going into the chapter on Elite Mode). Anything higher than that is out of reach. She also has to take a counter every time she wants to ORKO a mage.

Karin may not take too much damage, but she might risk getting KOed afterward by a physical enemy after she is weakened by a mage.

Uh, let me remind you that although Karin has 6 less base HP than Machua, she has 6 more base mag and 1 less base def. If Karin is in danger of getting KO'd after taking a mage counter, Machua is almost equally likely to get KO'd after taking a mage counter.

Edited by dondon151

The ChinaFE strategy that YayMarsha used is not the only SSS strategy out there. In fact, there are many things wrong with the ChinaFE SSS strategies in general, particularly relying on movement stars and movement growths far too often. You don't need any of that to SSS the game.

I don't think either was relied on for this specific chapter strategy...

I don't think she is required for this chapter is my point, you can use her if you want though, since your strategy seems solid.

4 bld. This invalidates most of your argument of Karin not doubling many enemies because a lot of enemies hang around 0-1 AS.

Yes, this was my mistake for not checking information properly. However, even if Machua isn't especially impressive comparably, she still has does have unreliable kills on some enemies. At base a max of 37% to kill mages or soldiers compared to Karin's 24% only with Fergus around. Regardless just being around in Manster doing anything from opening a chest/door or damaging something to improve your chance of success should add some utility to keep her out of low tier...if trained she definitely would outclass Misha who is a tier above her as well. She if trained is also better statistically than Ralph and can use brave sword with ambush...

Brighton, because he can do enough damage to KO but he doesn't get Wrath on player phase.

28 damage on wrath hits and only 86 hit with support should not be enough to KO armors reliably. Even the lower end ones...

Abandoning Dalshin before chapter 5 is possibly the stupidest thing that a player can do.

I don't see what he really adds to in chapter 5...Perhaps rescue chaining, I guess.

You only face armors one at a time in chapter 5 except for the first group of enemies. You have Felgus, Leaf, and Asvel, who destroy them like no other.

In chapter 4 she can pick off a weakened one that Leaf's light sword couldn't KO. Happened to me in a few occasions. You fight 4 simultaneousness in 4X and more after the door in 4X though Sety can handle it I guess...Brighton can weaken at least one as well and you want to minimize the number of counters Fergus and Leaf have to take so you use someone else to finish one off? It's situational, but having this niche does not a low tier unit make?

Here, let me bring up a chapter 5 save and list the defensive parameters for all 10 starting mages on the map:

20 HP, 0 def

21 HP, 3 def

21 HP, 3 def

25 HP, 3 def

22 HP, 3 def

23 HP, 5 def

22 HP, 3 def

23 HP, 3 def

24 HP, 2 def

24 HP, 3 def

I don't suppose you have chapter 4 and 4x mage stats? I also don't like these numbers since they very much differ from my experiences. I'll remove the most and least defensive to compensate to find the average of 22.5 HP and 2.9 def. Even if you get unlucky and roll high like you did repeatedly, Machua is able to have around 37% to critical, uncertain possibility to kill without a critical. She takes a counter not matter what, but what she doesn't kill is left for anyone else to take, like lara even with a iron sword (not really advised, but...). Chapter 5 isn't the best place to examine this since you gained an additional character and don't have to face a ton of enemies at once like you did in chapter 4 and 4X where everyone had to dodge a bunch of times in order to proceed safely. Moveover, as you definitely know since you SSS ranked, it is probably better to have Asvel handle most of them so he can gain a lot of speed and reach promotion level during chapter 5.

Back to Machua, as you said:

13 atk 2HKOs exactly one of those. 14 atk 2HKOs six of them, but Machua realistically only has a 30-51% chance at reaching 14 atk (I had her at 3.58 going into the chapter on Elite Mode). Anything higher than that is out of reach. She also has to take a counter every time she wants to ORKO a mage.

at 22.5 and 2.9 on average she leaves enemies with .3 HP 30-51%, without the proc'd she still has the chance to kill, she even has 9% for 2 proc'd and factor in that 37% critical, and possibility for C swords for claymore (unlikely, but...) and logically the player would use her to kill the mages she can and have someone else handle tougher mages if there is nothing else to do for them (or have Lara/anyone else etc take the kill).

Machua has solid long-run potential once she reaches C (I had this in chapter 8). Since with Killers or Rapiers she has reliable chances to critical hit.

Ambush is not as good as solar sword like Shiva, but does help her take 1-range hits somewhat as well if wielding an Armorslayer for armors or killers for everything else.

Edited by Brighton

Eda is placed that high for visiting houses/flight in general but Machua placed that low seems unfair when she can do the same (minus flight) by visiting houses, chestpicking and she's actually got decent combat and durability to top it off. She can also be another handicapper :). BTW thats a smart tactic. I'd say Machua > Eda, Olwen, Misha, and Selphina but I am probably misusing Olwen (she's really sucky) and underestimating Selphina and Eda.

Wow Homeros is really high, are mages that epic in this game? Chapter 14 is so hard ^^' damn Ballistae and the boss killing my Othin.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

Wow Homeros is really high, are mages that epic in this game? Chapter 14 is so hard ^^' damn Ballistae and the boss killing my Othin.

Homeros has Elite, meaning he grows extremely fast, and a PCC of 5, meaning that he will critical extremely often, if not all the time, on a double attack.

Some people may choose to promote Homeros as soon as he can, which would give him +6 in Magic and Skill, +4 in Speed and Defense and +1 in Build and Movement. This will also give him access to Staves, Wind magic (he needs D) and Resire much earlier. However you may also choose to let him grow to get better stats later. Since he grows very fast and his growths are pretty good you can easily make him go to level 20 if you wish before promoting him.

Edited by Dark Chocolate

Sages also have high move for foot units, tying with swordmasters and beating out mercenaries, generals, and dismounted knights.

The big problem with Machua in later maps is that she lacks the weapon ranks to do cool stuff (Sleep Swords, Master Swords, any sort of axe) and doesn't have good offense. No skills that enhance offense, no prf weapons, and pretty subpar str. 3 PCC isn't exactly something to write home about when, for example, Shiva has 4 and Homeros has 5.

You can count on Machua to be a 6 move foot unit with access to B rank swords after promotion. That's about it. Almost every prepromoted unit with a sword rank outclasses Machua in that respect. Base Fred ties 20/0 Machua in offense and durability but has A swords when dismounted. Dean has slightly higher bases but the same sword weapon rank as Fred. Ralph has even higher bases and C axes. Eyrios has only 5 move but can use Thoron, Bolting, and has pretty good 1-2 range with magic swords in addition to good durability. Amalda has C staves and 1 more dismounted move than Machua. And so on. Then keep in mind that she also has to compete with Othin, Dagda, Halvan, etc. who have traits like offensive skills, Brave Axe, and higher durability, and Mareeta and Shiva, who have 1 more move and more skills to take advantage of.

There's also the fact that promotion items are actually highly competed for in this game. Every staff user wants a promotion item. Salem and Sara in particular need to promote to reach A staves. Saphy might prefer promotion to reach A staves instead of Repair miss abuse, and we have the turn leeway to do so in S rank play. Tina wants to promote for the extra mag and skl when using Thief and Unlock in addition to the +1 to staff rank that enables her to Warp, Rewarp, and Rescue by endgame. Fin desires a promotion to, for example, make capturing Rumay and Salem more bearable. Othin wants to promote for the extra durability and atk. Finally, a number of Knight Proofs in the game are simply unobtainable, such as the one on Largo in 10, the one on the dancer 12x, the one in the village in 13, or the one for letting all civilians escape in 19.