Fire Emblem |影 の 夜明| 

NICKT™

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the method is foolproof if you do it right and you don't hit the one palette in the game that actually causes issues (i have no idea which one it is but if you look in the tutorial there's a spoiler for a reason)

that means you did something wrong

edit - and before you ask me what exactly you did wrong i'm going to pre-emptively say "i don't know" because "i followed the instructions exactly" is not a valid description of one's actions

Edited by Camtech

I had opened up about a week ago; what I presumed to be Batta's palette, after that, both him and the Generic Bandit came up with the palette you see on the left there. I opened a clean ROM, and to my understanding, changed 'back' the colours to what the clean ROM had said they were, the error still occurred on the Bandits.

With Weiss, I opened Lyn's unpromoted battle palette, and then also loaded Raven's in another program.(Raven's palette was loaded from a clean rom, not the one I'm hacking.)

I essentially put the colours in Raven's order into Lyn's, with a few colour changes to match Weiss. I load up the game, and bam, he looks like he just got out of a meat grinder.

Cam has a point here :P If you take a look, this is Lyn's palette on top, then Raven's on bottom.

sigh.png

Have a look at the colours; see how Lyn's is nice and orderly? it goes transparent color, white, skin colors, hair colors, sword colors, random orange, clothing colors, then black.

Now take a look at Raven's; it's stupid. White, brown of skin and shoulder pad thing, one of his clothing colors, two of his sword colors, etc. It's just derpy.

So just dropping in your palette in exchange for Lyn's doesn't work; you have to ref Raven's and put your skin colors where his are, your hair colors where his are, etc. Then you can use THAT order and just drop it over top of Lyn's palette if you want.

Basically, if you went to Lyn's palette in APE, you'd find Raven's palette, with changed hair and outfit colours.

I've been around for years, when palette editing first came around, I could swear that people were saying that Merc's had a weird palette or something along those lines. *shrug*

In some ways, I kinda wish that hacking would go back to those days..

yes. you can even take raven's palette, and edit lyn's so it looks EXACTLY like Raven's. Same color order and everything, as RAVEN'S. Then just change whatever colors you want from that. you'd essentially be editing Lyn's palette twice but if it makes it easier, why not :P

No, I'm saying that's actually what I did.

Basically, I did this:

Opened my ROM hack in APE, and another, unedited ROM as well in another APE.

Went to Lyn's in the ROM hack and Raven's in the unedited.

Made it so that Lyn's looked like Raven's, then changed colours to match the character Weiss.

Saved.

Came up with that result you see prior.

I prefer the GBAGE method, since you can also see what the character will look like before you save it, and finding the right palette is as easy as taking a quick look in nightmare. Once you get used to the derpy palette window, you can do any palette in a few minutes. (note: haven't tried Cams method, previously used SNES palette editor)

I redid everything on a new blank ROM, and for some reason when I imported the mug through FE_Editor, the battle palette just ended up perfect, somehow... :blink:

Before now, I was simply using a 30x30 cut out of a mug's face and using that instead of a Mini-mug. I've changed my mind since then, in hopes to keep the hack more, FE-ish.

With this, I've also organized a sort of, character sheet, in a means as a hint of things to come. With the current showing, I haven't blacked out any mini's, but I'll be adding an NPC chart on the next run, which potentially might contain some throw backs to FE8. Squee.

2uts2yu.png1z5kwp5.png

So far, not anything major spoiler inducing.

If you want to be really picky, the second mini in the Enemy chart looks eerily similar to Pablo from FE8, if Chapter 0 takes place in Melkaen Coast, near Carcino...