Official site update (July 1st)

My Unit - Similar to the Tactician feature in Blazing Sword, the player can make their own character who participates in the game's story. You can choose your own name, gender, appearance, starting class and background. There are many conversations that your character can have, such as gaining hints for upcoming battles or just getting intimate with your comrades. Not only that, but there will be brand new chapters that heavily involve your custom character. The prologue chapters follow your character's rise from a rookie Altean Knight to one of Marth's personal guard. Meanwhile, sidestory chapters are new maps that can be unlocked by satisfying certain criteria. Maybe you can recruit some new characters here, such as Shadow Dragon's Wrys...[/Quote]

OK I am officially interested now. This sounds like a great first step for the series in terms of change. Also they pretty much confirmed supports at least for your main character here. (Totally going dracoknight!)

This actually makes the series sound like it's going western in terms of story telling style. Which I really appreciate since I am a giant Bioware fanboy.

Edited by Mr. Francis York Morgan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and Fruitloop... why is it that when a new character appears and they're half-decent and female that they're always labelled with being a Mary Sue? Micaiah is not a Mary Sue. She's quite a flawed character, being somewhat hypocritical in nature, and as a Lord she's nothing like as strong as Ike ever was, and certainly doesn't steal the show from him, because he shows up halfway through to take over the story again. If anything, Ike is the Mary Sue of Radiant Dawn.

I'm just going to say lrn2rd and leave it at that.

This also seems to hint towards info conversations.

Yea that to. I really like Marth's new design btw. I would love it if Caeda ended up with a similar design to this btw:

http://www.serenesforest.net/media/tcg/6/fe6-060.jpg

A man can only hope....

Almost every videogame/movie/tv character ever is a sue. Heck you can even find sues in new york time best sellers! /End Discussion

AKA find something better to complain about.

Edited by Mr. Francis York Morgan

Getting intimate how would that work with this games story?

Marth and Caeda are already engaged and most assuredly with each other. Abel and Est are married, with Palla having a secret love for Abel and Catria for Marth. Nyna is married to Hardin and loves Camus. Rena loves Julian and needs to be rescued by him. Camus loves only Tyta. Sheema and Samson love each other dearly. Midia loves Astram and Feena loves Nabarl. Tiki is an ageless dragon loli.

The only available girls left are Cecil, Yumina(a little girl), Mallesia, Minerva, Catria, and Palla. Everyone else is firmly attached.

Yumina(a little girl)

>implying lolicon is too small a niche to appeal to

Alternatively "getting intimate" only means to become good friends with someone.

Edited by Ike-Mike

I'm gonna say that you appeared to be making a point that people always make and I thought I would counter it. I mean, you're arguing that custom characters are also Mary Sues? How does that make any more sense? You appeared to just be saying that both instances were Mary Sues. lrn2rite maybe? Or make your point better at least.

...Why does everyone insist on reacting so adversely to everything I say around here? People didn't used to be so competitive around here, did they? I just get irritated by people throwing around recieved wisdom and opinions as fact. Not trying to start arguments on purpose. I'm not gonna continue the whole Brawl discussion because that's one hell of a spiral of death.

ANYWAY. I think the biggest issue here is whether the custom character will talk or not. Will they be like Link and act mute, and risk people throwing the Mary Sue at them even though being mute is not a Mary Sue trait at all? Will they just be another story character that you happen to be able to design? This is the thing that interests me most. I actually hope for the latter, with some dialogue variations depending on their design. I suspect it'll be the former though.

ANYWAY. I think the biggest issue here is whether the custom character will talk or not. Will they be like Link and act mute, and risk people throwing the Mary Sue at them even though being mute is not a Mary Sue trait at all? Will they just be another story character that you happen to be able to design? This is the thing that interests me most. I actually hope for the latter, with some dialogue variations depending on their design. I suspect it'll be the former though.

Well... given the options for characteristics on your My Unit, no matter what there will be at least the cosmetic differences during his/her dialog. By which I mean, he/she will get different reactions based on his/her past-present-future-gender choices. Somewhat like Tactician in FE7. Perhaps a bit more effect attached.

Unless more options are given, My Unit might be able to have dialog crafted based on picking and choosing by scene which aspects effect the dialog. Basically two gender paths of dialog and some scenes will be further changed by past, present, or future (but not all three). I'm also sure hair color will get a comment or two during gameplay.

I'm not ready to label My Unit as Mary Sue yet. Given how many characters just SHOW UP to join the war, My Unit isn't so different. And Marth is still the hero, I might be a bit peeved if My Unit gets his/her own S Rank at the end of the day however.

Actually that reminds me. I can't say for sure whether the custom character talks, but I'd assume so since they appear in the dialogue boxes and Feena (the red-haired girl) seems to be reacting to something you said. However, one of the captions mentions that your allies will react to you differently depending on your "appearance and abilities".

Well, its not whether the character is fully mute or not, because no silent heroes are actually ever really mute. Link speaks, but we don't see it (unless we get a Yes or No choice of some kind), for instance. I think they did the same for the tactician in Blazing Sword. The best example of this is Golden Sun, where Felix is mute when you play as him despite talking regularly in the previous game, and Isaac actually gets dialogue despite not saying anything previously.

So, yeah, he or she won't actually be mute. But we might have to guess what they're saying based on the reactions of who we're talking to, that or we get some choices of reply.

Personally I'm hoping for dialogue based on the type of unit you've created. So if you go with the default, he'll act something like Marth, if you make him look arrogant he'll talk like Hector or something. Might take a hell of a lot of work for IS to do though, going with the mute option would be a lot easier for them.

Well, its not whether the character is fully mute or not, because no silent heroes are actually ever really mute. Link speaks, but we don't see it (unless we get a Yes or No choice of some kind), for instance. I think they did the same for the tactician in Blazing Sword. The best example of this is Golden Sun, where Felix is mute when you play as him despite talking regularly in the previous game, and Isaac actually gets dialogue despite not saying anything previously.

So, yeah, he or she won't actually be mute. But we might have to guess what they're saying based on the reactions of who we're talking to, that or we get some choices of reply.

Personally I'm hoping for dialogue based on the type of unit you've created. So if you go with the default, he'll act something like Marth, if you make him look arrogant he'll talk like Hector or something. Might take a hell of a lot of work for IS to do though, going with the mute option would be a lot easier for them.

this reminds me of something similar done for the Baten Kaitos series

the player character is supposedly a spirit that lives within the body of the main character. the spirit character (you) are an incredibly important character in the plot, and are often addressed by the other characters directly. while there isn't any actual 'dialogue' from the spirit to the characters, you are given a series of choices, from which various reaction are available (depending on what choice you selected) that even occasionally affect the plot, albeit not by much.

i could see something similar happening for this game. which would make it really cool in my opinion!

Edited by Champion Cynthia

Let's not forget that this is a remake of Book 2, Marth is still the most important character in the game. The My Unit will take a back seat to the main plot and will likely mostly serve to converse with other characters.

Edited by Super FE3 Player

Let's not forget that this is a remake of Book 2, Marth is still the most important character in the game. The My Unit will take a back seat to the main plot and will likely mostly serve to converse with other characters.

true, at least as far as the main plotline goes.

but taking into consideration all the bawwing that there was about FESD not having character development, i wouldn't be surprised to find that they use My Unit in order to flesh the playable units out a little more.

here's hoping that base conversations make a reappearance for this game, since if they actually do something similar to what i said for the game, base conversations would be an excellent way to make it work. like that, characters get developed, the main plot line isn't compromised by the addition of the new character, and everyone's happy. and since they would be entirely optional, if you didn't care particularly for character development and want a game experience faithful to FE3, you could just skip them.

I can make a purple-haired-afro-with-eyepatch unit? Yes. Yes.

And Kain's portrait looks quite badass. So does Hardin's face in the main artwork. No picture of Sirius/Oguma/STD man saddens me though.

this reminds me of something similar done for the Baten Kaitos series

the player character is supposedly a spirit that lives within the body of the main character. the spirit character (you) are an incredibly important character in the plot, and are often addressed by the other characters directly. while there isn't any actual 'dialogue' from the spirit to the characters, you are given a series of choices, from which various reaction are available (depending on what choice you selected) that even occasionally affect the plot, albeit not by much.

i could see something similar happening for this game. which would make it really cool in my opinion!

Well, seeing as it's been two years and this is a remake, that could be what they've done in this time. Still, though, there are 1300 possible appearances and 60 possible combinations of past present future. That's like 78,000 possible characters.

Also, Q: How is it that one of your past choices is Cleric's child? Isn't that, like, not at all holy? I mean, FE is based off of Europe/Rome, so you've got monks, nuns, and the Vestial Virgins (sp?) to base the clerics off of...

Also, Q: How is it that one of your past choices is Cleric's child? Isn't that, like, not at all holy? I mean, FE is based off of Europe/Rome, so you've got monks, nuns, and the Vestial Virgins (sp?) to base the clerics off of...
Narga, etc. I'm pretty sure holy stuff is connected to Narga in FE1/3's universe. Edited by Super FE3 Player

Well, I don't know that much about the whole Narga thing, but I guess I'll accept that...

Also, I forgot classes for the My Unit capabilities. There are actually 858,000 different possible My Units.

Well, seeing as it's been two years and this is a remake, that could be what they've done in this time. Still, though, there are 1300 possible appearances and 60 possible combinations of past present future. That's like 78,000 possible characters.

Lekain was set to marry Astrid, if i recall correctly.

the line of apostles in FE9 and 10.

all the other ladies who have paired endings despite being clerics

it wouldn't be the first time

This is what I get for trying to make sense out of a video game, huh?

Oh, and that 858,000? I forgot eyepatches, masks, eyes closed and such. Although those haven't all been released. So there are actually millions of combinations.

OH MY GOD THEY HAD BETTER HAVE MONOCLES